Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion
Seconding Duckman's suggestion. While I have a Aura HD myself and absolutely love it, I pretty much only use it for reading mobi/epub format fiction. If you want to read image-heavy PDFs with large file sizes, a regular tablet would be much more suited to your needs.
But if you're sure you want an eReader, then (currently) the Aura HD would be your best bet, simply because of the screen's higher resolution. At least that's what I've understood so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll be the odd man out and say that I actually prefer reading PDFs on my Paperwhite than my iPad. I set the contrast to maximum and unless there is seriously small annotations or something, I have had zero problems with just about every PDF I've ever tried.

Now I'm obviously not saying that an iPad or Android tablet won't be faster and crisper than a Paperwhite, but the reading EXPERIENCE for me is much more enjoyable on eInk.

Darth blob
Nov 12, 2011

puts the "ass" in classy
I've owned both devices old nook light, and the latest kindle paperwhite light. I love the nook comftroble shape and the side physical buttons, but nook has amazing software and support; saying that both has for the most part region locked the Middle East, but nook went all out.
Needed to get this off my mind

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

:homebrew:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

$3.17 here. I'm rich, bitch!

HONK HONK

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

$3.17 here. I'm rich, bitch!

HONK HONK

$3.67 :smug:

Time to buy more books I guess.

e: Oh is there a rough estimate on when that new Paperwhite will be announced?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

havenwaters posted:

$3.67 :smug:

Time to buy more books I guess.

You know what you must purchase.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
$15.83
Apparently I got ripped off more than you guys.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

havenwaters posted:

e: Oh is there a rough estimate on when that new Paperwhite will be announced?

The rumor was Q2 2014 so April-June

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got $11.20. One of my friends says she got close to $100 between her two accounts.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
You people must be buying a poo poo ton of overpriced books

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I got nothing. :(

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Ditto. Such is life of non-American citizen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Drunk Tomato posted:

You people must be buying a poo poo ton of overpriced books

I buy a shitload of books, yeah. It's why I was super pissed at the publishers pulling the cartel poo poo with Apple.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I too got nothing :(

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Didn't even know this was coming and got 26.78 from this, sweet! I do find it odd that I'm getting credit for overpriced books but it seems to me that Kindle books are more expensive now than they've ever been (for the most part).

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Went to order a Paperwhite 3G for my upcoming trip, but Amazon is showing the 3G model as out of stock until mid-April. Guess I'll hold out for the 2014 model, whenever that arrives.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

drat it seems like that antitrust thing was forever ago, but it's just been a couple years. According to the online FAQ, the credits are distributed at a flat rate based on whether it was a NYT bestseller and was from one of the five named publishers in the lawsuit, and also you may get more if you live in Minnesota:

quote:

• New York Times bestsellers: $3.17 per E-book. These include titles that were New York Times bestsellers at any time, irrespective of when you purchased the E-book.
  • Non-New York Times bestsellers: $0.73 per E-book. These E-books include any titles that were not New York Times bestsellers.

The State of Minnesota did not participate in the first settlements between the State Attorneys General and Hachette, HarperCollins and Simon & Schuster. Instead, class counsel represented Minnesota consumers and negotiated a settlement with these three publishers. This recent Minnesota-only settlement required payment of a higher percentage of damages than did the Prior Settlements. Minnesota residents will, therefore, receive a higher per-book payment than other consumers. Minnesota residents will also be subject to different conditions than other consumers and are encouraged to review the detailed notice found on the Minnesota only residents' website by clicking HERE or by calling 1-866-621-4153.

I got a whopping $.73 because apparently the only ebook I bought during that time period (April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012 according to the site) was Consider Phlebas. AND it was on sale for $.99 when I bought it, so I made out like a bandit!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

thecallahan posted:

Didn't even know this was coming and got 26.78 from this, sweet! I do find it odd that I'm getting credit for overpriced books but it seems to me that Kindle books are more expensive now than they've ever been (for the most part).

$43.82 here. And they sent out a notice like a year ago saying this was happening but without much in the way of details.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

All I want is for this reader to hit the shores at a decent price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJuLK65dio

Knowing Sony, it will launch Japan only for $900 :(

I was wrong. It's getting an American release...for $1100

quote:

Sony is showcasing Digital Paper at this week's American Bar Association Tech Show in Chicago along with Worldox, which serves more than 5,500 law firms, financial institutions, and other enterprises. Worldox is integrating Digital Paper with its award-winning Document Management Solution (DMS), so legal and other professionals can easily and securely access documents, upload handwritten notes and annotated documents, and share with other individuals or groups.

Sony is also developing additional markets for Digital Paper in collaboration with leading companies serving several key markets, which will be announced in the coming months.

In addition to PDF source files, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel files can be converted to the PDF format and saved, viewed and annotated on the Digital Paper device. For speedy retrieval and transfer, Sony's Digital Paper incorporates wireless access to servers (via Wi-Fi) as well as USB connectivity.

Key features and functions that make Sony's Digital Paper relevant to the day-to-day activities of professionals include:

* World's thinnest, lightest body among devices with comparable screen sizes (approximately 9/32" and 12.6 oz.); slightly thicker than 30 sheets of paper
* 13.3 inch (screen size measured diagonally) electronic paper display
* High contrast display (1200 x 1600 dots), 16-level grayscale, incorporating "E Ink Mobius" technology from E Ink Corporation
* No backlight enables text to be read clearly, even in bright sunlight
* Built-in Wi-Fi functionality allows file sharing over a wireless network
* Rechargeable thin lithium-ion battery - up to 3 weeks use on a single charge
* AC adapter or USB rechargeable (computer-based charging)
* Storage - approximately 2,800 PDF files; internal memory of 4 GB coupled with micro SD card slot for additional storage
* Touch panel (IR touch) compatible with electromagnetic induction-type touch pen input
* Dimensions - Approximately 9 1/4" width by 12 1/4" height by 9/32" depth (thickness)
* Weight - Approximately 12.6 ounces

Digital Paper is planned to be available in May, initially through a select group of Worldox agents, with a suggested list price of $1,100.

quote:

Read and work on new documents or archives in sharp, easy-to-read text and graphics, full letter size, so you never need to scroll to read.* Digital Paper has a 13.3" display that renders full-page letter-size (8.5" x 11") documents in PDF format.

*Screen size is letter sized excluding margins.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/show-d...er:digitalpaper

And the other big downside is that it only has PDF support.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 27, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Maybe there's hope for just a reader...

Maybe...

:(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Because I was johnny on the spot (and over 30) I opted for a check a year+ ago, and just got my settlement. $3.90, now to drive down to the bank and say hello to the teller.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I've been repairing the really awful Table of Contents in a large book in Calibre, the problem is that there's hundreds of stray TOC tag things in the HTML files in the format of "<p id="ue261af8b-3721-436f-9b36-437ec202f947">" and the like where the faulty entries led. How can I clear out these unused id tags so that only the ones for the actual entries remain?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

I've been repairing the really awful Table of Contents in a large book in Calibre, the problem is that there's hundreds of stray TOC tag things in the HTML files in the format of "<p id="ue261af8b-3721-436f-9b36-437ec202f947">" and the like where the faulty entries led. How can I clear out these unused id tags so that only the ones for the actual entries remain?

In the "Convert" dialog there is a search-and-replace section. Hope you like regexps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

withak posted:

In the "Convert" dialog there is a search-and-replace section. Hope you like regexps.

There is no convert dialog in the edit book system/workflow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

There is no convert dialog in the edit book system/workflow.

I've never used the edit tool. The S&R option is under the dialog that you use to convert book formats. Right-click -> Convert books -> Convert individually...

I guess you are supposed to make the ToC corrections in the editor then strip out the leftover tags in a conversion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

withak posted:

I've never used the edit tool. The S&R option is under the dialog that you use to convert book formats. Right-click -> Convert books -> Convert individually...

I guess you are supposed to make the ToC corrections in the editor then strip out the leftover tags in a conversion.

You can't strip out leftover tags that way, used and unused tags are identically formatted.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to customize the new, working tags? Like give them some identifying info that a regexp can detect?

Also, does leaving a bunch of dead ToC anchors in really matter?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

withak posted:

Is there a way to customize the new, working tags? Like give them some identifying info that a regexp can detect?

Also, does leaving a bunch of dead ToC anchors in really matter?

There doesn't appear to be any way to do so.

It matters enough to me that I cleaned up a thousand-entry TOC the first time, I'd rather finish the job and clear out all these orphan tag things.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah but does it actually affect how the book works/looks?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

withak posted:

Yeah but does it actually affect how the book works/looks?

Yes it does, this is quite a significant amount of extra data and in aggregate it slows down book loading noticeably

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know exactly how ToCs usually work or whether there is other important formatting stuff in your file, but can you strip out all of the html and regenerate the ToC from scratch?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

withak posted:

I don't know exactly how ToCs usually work or whether there is other important formatting stuff in your file, but can you strip out all of the html and regenerate the ToC from scratch?

Redoing it from scratch would take a good 5-10 hours here, ideally clearing out the unused ones should take less time than that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can't always get what you want.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Kindle personal docs are now stored in Cloud Drive, so you can bulk delete! Yay! Just a couple of weeks after I hosed up using some bookmarklet and purged all the stuff I didn't want along with a bunch of stuff I wanted to keep!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've got a fourth-gen kindle like this:

Is there a guide anywhere to managing collections with calibre? (or managing collections via a PC at all) I tried following one, but it looks like the plugin was removed from mobileread.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's a kindle collections one, but I haven't used it in a few years. I don't know if it works on anything past the kindle keyboard. It's a plugin for calibre.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Possible Kindle Paperwhite for $44 amazon promo. Check out this slickdeals link and see if you qualify for the promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

blugu64 posted:

I've got a fourth-gen kindle like this:

Is there a guide anywhere to managing collections with calibre? (or managing collections via a PC at all) I tried following one, but it looks like the plugin was removed from mobileread.

Try this: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118635 . It'll require a little messing around, but it shouldn't be too complicated.