Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

Possible Kindle Paperwhite for $44 amazon promo. Check out this slickdeals link and see if you qualify for the promo.

Looks to be mostly people who don't yet buy a lot of ebooks according to the people who have gotten the offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Duckman2008 posted:

Looks to be mostly people who don't yet buy a lot of ebooks according to the people who have gotten the offer.

Don't ask me why, but I was eligible for this. I went ahead and got a paperwhite, because as far as I'm concerned, Nook is just about dead. :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

UndyingShadow posted:

Don't ask me why, but I was eligible for this. I went ahead and got a paperwhite, because as far as I'm concerned, Nook is just about dead. :(

Well, if all your books we eBooks from Barnes and noble, amazon would not have known you were buying a bunch of them already.

Or they knew and wanted to steal you away.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, if all your books we eBooks from Barnes and noble, amazon would not have known you were buying a bunch of them already.

Or they knew and wanted to steal you away.

I should clarify, I've NEVER bought an amazon e-book, although I am a prime member. Maybe they're targeting non-customers as well as seldom-customers.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Okay, I'm sure the tech has changed a bit since last time I researched this: I'm looking to purchase an e-reader in the next month or two. What are the Big Ones I should look out for? The Kindle and Paperwhite both look good to me, but what about these Kobo things? Is the Nook even really an option anymore? Compatibility isn't a huge deal with Calibre, right? There might be a new Paperwhite soon, correct? But how big could the changes be from one version to the next? It's not the reader slows down when reading books, right?

Gimme the skinny, because this thread is looooong.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

John Lee posted:

Okay, I'm sure the tech has changed a bit since last time I researched this: I'm looking to purchase an e-reader in the next month or two. What are the Big Ones I should look out for? The Kindle and Paperwhite both look good to me, but what about these Kobo things? Is the Nook even really an option anymore? Compatibility isn't a huge deal with Calibre, right? There might be a new Paperwhite soon, correct? But how big could the changes be from one version to the next? It's not the reader slows down when reading books, right?

Gimme the skinny, because this thread is looooong.

Are you starting from scratch? Do you have Amazon prime?

Hard to beat the Amazon ecosystem for convenience/free poo poo.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Scratch, yes. Prime... I don't have it, but I have a guy I can hand cash to order stuff off of there for me with his Prime account, which WOW sounds a lot sketchier than I realized.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

If you have Prime then you have access to Amazon's free lending library. Otherwise, I'd say that Amazon's ecosystem beats Kobo's in terms of price and availability, but hardware-wise they're about equal right now. Kobo might actually have an edge since they keep releasing more specialized e-readers like the Aura HD. I do love my Kobo, but I pretty much always use Amazon for purchases.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

So am I correct in deducing Amazon beats out the rest when it comes to availability of books, Prime or no? I live in the US, which I understand is like the Holy Land of available-to-stream content, so it's probably similar with books, eh?

The Paperwhite 3G looks nice, but does it seriously come with ads? How lame are they?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's a small banner on the bottom when you're at the home screen, and when you put it into sleep mode, your "screensaver" image is an ad. There are no ads while you're reading anything. It's really not a big deal and basically completely unobtrusive. There's really no reason to pay more to remove the ads.

If Amazon is discounting the Paperwhites now, then maybe perhaps we are going to see a new model in the next month or two?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have an older model, not a Paperwhite, but the ads have never bothered me. They're on the sleep screen, and on a tiny bar at the bottom of the home screen. Barely noticeable, unless you loathe ads with a passion I wouldn't bother paying extra to remove them. I assume the Paperwhite is quite similar in that regard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Once in a rare occasion, there's even an ad for something you want!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Endless Mike posted:

Once in a rare occasion, there's even an ad for something you want!

They used to give out awesome discounts through the ads making it totally worth your while to have the ads. However I haven't seen one of those discounts in a long long time. That said, the screen saver ads are usually pretty well done; they look nice and not too ad-ish.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
They used to do some good black Friday ads. But I don't think they did them last year.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Alright, I'll probably get one of the Amazon Paperwhites. Thanks for all your help!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you can wait a couple months, it is rumored that there will be a new Paperwhite sometime in Q2ish of this year. But then again, it's only rumors.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nevermind, took a few reboots but it's finally done

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 30, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You can also buy the Kindle with ads, and if you dislike them, pay $20 to remove them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Refurbished Paperwhites are $69 today. http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox?tag=kinjasocial-20ref=kods_ld_pop_pwwf

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Lighting deal, so dead already. The 3G Paperwhite is now up for $119 for the next 3 hours.

The Middleman
Jun 2, 2003

What would Jigglypuff do?
I've been thinking about replacing my 2nd generation Kindle with a newer model and wanted to ask current Kindle users a question. When looking at reviews, customer ones mind you, there seems to be this thing with the screens dying within a year's time, give or take a few months. Is that true? It's a bit hard to tell if it's just a loud minority or not, but I certainly don't want to get something that isn't going to last.

Also, is the Paperwhite's light at its dimmist staining on the eye? That's why I don't just read on my Nexus. I prefer the book like screen.

Thanks.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Middleman posted:

I've been thinking about replacing my 2nd generation Kindle with a newer model and wanted to ask current Kindle users a question. When looking at reviews, customer ones mind you, there seems to be this thing with the screens dying within a year's time, give or take a few months. Is that true? It's a bit hard to tell if it's just a loud minority or not, but I certainly don't want to get something that isn't going to last.

Also, is the Paperwhite's light at its dimmist staining on the eye? That's why I don't just read on my Nexus. I prefer the book like screen.

Thanks.

I have an OG Kindle that's still plugging away, only had a paperwhite for a few months though. But the dimmest the light can go and still be on is really really dim and it doesn't strain my eye at all. The light is really good in general, I find it's amazing for just general reading because you don't have to worry about the light hitting the screen when you shift to a more comfortable position - it's great at supplementing whatever ambient light you have, as well as for reading in the dark.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Middleman posted:

Thanks.

The only people I've heard of with dying screens managed to damage to the unit as a whole.

It's not a backlight, the light comes out of the sides. Completely different from a phone or tablet screen.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Arcsech posted:

[...]it's great at supplementing whatever ambient light you have, as well as for reading in the dark.
This is probably one of the best points about the paperwhite, and the reason it's called that in the first place. Even if it isn't dark, having the light on, even at a moderate setting, greatly improves contrast, making the background seem much more white than the greyish hue you'll be used to, and therefore more booklike.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can HEAR my kindle 4th gen page turn. Is that bad?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I could hear my 2nd gen nook's page turns also. Like a really low hum when the screen flashed black to clear the pixels.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

That's weird. My kindle touch makes no noise at all, ever.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

The Middleman posted:

Thanks.

My Paperwhite is 2 years old and I haven't had a problem. I use it almost every night.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

I could hear my 2nd gen nook's page turns also. Like a really low hum when the screen flashed black to clear the pixels.

It's fine, it's probably just haunted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My 2nd gen Kindle (keyboard) and 1st gen Paperwhite both work perfectly fine.

The Paperwhite's light at the lowest is barely visible light, though not quite off. Nowhere near as bright as a tablet.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I have a Sony PRS-T1 (me), PRS-300 (father) and PRS-600 (mother). All of them still work, and I started with the PRS-300 in 2009 before moving on and trying my folks to accept that digital reading is not so bad. Now they use it all the time and they are all working just fine.

That's my 2 cents about Sony E-readers.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sony has some amazing readers. I wish to god Amazon would steal (or borrow) the metadata usage they use for collections. That's the single thing I hate about my kindle.

Calibre moves books to a sony, keeps em in order, and the series is in it's own little special place and it's great.

Amazon just kinda, doesn't, and gently caress you if you want your discworld novels all in the same area. Hope you name em according to the series because if you ever connect this fucker to a pc to charge, it's gonna throw ALL the books you haven't read to the top of the list! Congrats!

:argh: DAMMIT AMAZON.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I just found this while browsing reddit. I can confirm that I bought the right eReader, according to this website.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Odette posted:

I just found this while browsing reddit. I can confirm that I bought the right eReader, according to this website.

He wears a lot, doesn't he? I imagine it would be quite something to work with this man in a retail environment.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

He wears a lot, doesn't he? I imagine it would be quite something to work with this man in a retail environment.

Yeah, pretty sure he's just cloning these guys. I certainly wouldn't want that kind of stuff on my CV unless I was already well established in whatever industry.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Odette posted:

Yeah, pretty sure he's just cloning these guys. I certainly wouldn't want that kind of stuff on my CV unless I was already well established in whatever industry.

I don't think you understand the "hip-ness" of the software development industry.

But yeah, this is kinda dumb. Doesn't really tell you anything you didn't already know and a total copy. But short and to the point I guess... send people you resent there.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
I'm on the fence about picking up a Kobo. A bookstore in town sells the Glo and the Aura HD (as well as the tablet and the mini, but I'm not an idiot), and I'm leaning towards the Glo. How is the Pocket integration? I've got a massive backlog of longform articles to catch up on, and knowing that the Kobo has Pocket functionality is very appealing.

Assuming I'd like to stay away from the increasingly murky (in my own half-formed opinion) Amazon ecosystem, is the Glo still a decent buy at this point?

Varicose Brains
Apr 10, 2008

UndyingShadow posted:

Nook is just about dead. :(

What's the deal with them? They haven't brought out any new devices in a few years now. Have they given up the ereader fight?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Nook division at B&N is doing very badly compared to even the rest of the company:
http://www.zdnet.com/for-barnes-and-nobles-nook-the-beginning-of-the-end-7000019630/

They already abandoned their full-tablet Nook readers in early 2013 because they'd stopped really selling, and the ereader division proper is in sort of a death spiral and they don't seem interested in dumping more money in to create new models that aren't even guaranteed (to them) to help that spiral end.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/19/another-lawsuit-highlights-trouble.aspx
According to this B&N is being sued over not telling investors of the terrible state the Nook division is in sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Glowlight came out October 2013 and signs point to a new Nook tablet coming out this summer: http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/26/barnes-and-noble-nook-tablet-due-in-2014/

Barnes & Noble is certainly struggling, but they haven't given up, not yet.