Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why won't they just put loving page turn buttons on it? Actual buttons. I'm going to have to stick with the Kindle Keyboard forever. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wow, I'm also really surprised at the $79 price tag to add 3G. I thought it was something like $30 extra back when the Touch was first released?

It looks to be a case of, since they decided to go whole hog on making it more slim than ever, getting a 3g chipset that works in there might cost a lot more.

Tiggum posted:

Why won't they just put loving page turn buttons on it? Actual buttons. I'm going to have to stick with the Kindle Keyboard forever. :argh:

To be fair, you have to actually push down for them to go - so it's not like just holding the side sets off the turn.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Just put in an order for one with 3G. I travel for work sometimes and I don't always remember to buy a new book when there's wifi around.

I really can't wait for this. I've been sticking with my launch-day Kindle 3 because of the page turn buttons and getting seriously envious of all the cool poo poo they've been putting in the new models over the last four years. If nothing else, going from a 167 DPI screen to a 300 DPI one is going to be a huge upgrade on its own.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm kinda disappointed that it doesn't have Qi charging. It'd be awesome to just set it down on a pad to let it charge back up, plus it'd add some thickness to it. My Kindle 3 is already thin enough to be uncomfortable without a case, and this is even thinner yet.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 18, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat, this thing is .6mm thicker than my kidney stone was.

Only thing I don't like is the auto brightness. I keep my paperwhite on 12 and it's awesome in pretty much all light. I don't wanna blind myself trying to read in the bed.

Still, really leaning towards getting one...

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
drat the Voyage looks nice. Shame I just bought a Paperwhite. Also, £230 in the UK with 3G! I debated whether to get the 3G option on my Paperwhite but now I've got accustomed to having it, I wouldn't want to do without it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I thought about the 3G, but then I remembered my phone has tethering and the most I'd do on a Kindle is download a book.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Only thing I don't like is the auto brightness. I keep my paperwhite on 12 and it's awesome in pretty much all light. I don't wanna blind myself trying to read in the bed.

I'm sure you can manually set it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

noirstronaut posted:

I thought about the 3G, but then I remembered my phone has tethering and the most I'd do on a Kindle is download a book.

There is something to be said for being able to close your kindle and have it sync your reading position immediately without wondering if you have it tethered to your phone.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

There's a checkbox to turn auto brightness on and off.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

fordan posted:

There is something to be said for being able to close your kindle and have it sync your reading position immediately without wondering if you have it tethered to your phone.

I've been reading Gravity's Rainbow recently. There are times in that book where not even the built-in dictionary is sufficient and I've been looking stuff up on Wikipedia. If I had to enable my phone's WiFi tethering and wait for my Kindle to notice it every time I wanted it to do that, I probably just wouldn't bother.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You wouldn't just pull out your phone and type in the word?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I might not. My phone is really sketchy, slow and stuttery at the moment and using it is an exercise in frustration. Googling some unusual German compound word that predictive text is not going to know is going to take a couple of minutes and break my immersion in the book, as opposed to a quick long press and I'm reading the definition within a few seconds.

I'm aware that sounds a little picky but I much prefer having it and haven't regretted spending the extra on it at all.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

chippy posted:

I've been reading Gravity's Rainbow recently. There are times in that book where not even the built-in dictionary is sufficient and I've been looking stuff up on Wikipedia. If I had to enable my phone's WiFi tethering and wait for my Kindle to notice it every time I wanted it to do that, I probably just wouldn't bother.

It also depends on how much time you spend reading at home vs. on the road.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I've been happy with my kindle keyboard, but combined with everything else, this is enough to make me finally take the plunge:

quote:

Organize your books

Arrange your books into custom categories by using Cloud Collections.

This isn't something that has been available and I've somehow missed, right? This is new?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looks old: http://ilmk.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/understanding-cloud-collections/

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ok, new to me since it isn't on my device, but not new. Also, this is still much lamer than I'd like it to be. :( Why is this so hard for Amazon to get right?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey, wow, Barnes and Noble are now not allowing sideloading of their content! You can only get it via wireless/wifi. No more downloading of it!

That's not going to bite them in the rear end!

(meaning if you buy a book from them, you can only download it TO YOUR NOOK via wireless, no more downloading and then sending it over via USB)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hey, wow, Barnes and Noble are now not allowing sideloading of their content! You can only get it via wireless/wifi. No more downloading of it!

(meaning if you buy a book from them, you can only download it TO YOUR NOOK via wireless, no more downloading and then sending it over via USB)

What if I buy a book from Humble Bundle or Amazon (and convert to epub), I can't plug in my Nook Simple Touch to my computer and drag the book over?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Technically you can still sideload your non B+N items, you just can't download the encrypted file from their web site anymore. gently caress that, I'm glad I stopped using their e-book store a long time ago. So sorry I like modifying the CSS so that legally purchased books don't have hosed up margins and unnecessary paragraph spacing.

RVProfootballer posted:

What if I buy a book from Humble Bundle or Amazon (and convert to epub), I can't plug in my Nook Simple Touch to my computer and drag the book over?

This should still work.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

hope and vaseline posted:

Technically you can still sideload your non B+N items, you just can't download the encrypted file from their web site anymore. gently caress that, I'm glad I stopped using their e-book store a long time ago. So sorry I like modifying the CSS so that legally purchased books don't have hosed up margins and unnecessary paragraph spacing.

This should still work.

Holy poo poo. I'm done with B&N. Not allowing me to decrypt my own legally purchased books is the last straw.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
gently caress B&N. Calibre all day. ALL FUCKIN DAY.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah, it feels like all the non-hardcore readers just use their phones/tablets so they don't care about downloads. The hardcore ones use stuff like Calibre and like page turn buttons... Guess we know which demographics everybody is aiming for.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
My cousin just converted to a kindle from a nook, which she said was motivated by the latest nook being replaced 3 times. She says the screen kept breaking where the page turn buttons were.

I don't know if that's a common problem, but it could be the reason why the manufacturers are moving away from page turn buttons.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

effika posted:

Yeah, it feels like all the non-hardcore readers just use their phones/tablets so they don't care about downloads. The hardcore ones use stuff like Calibre and like page turn buttons... Guess we know which demographics everybody is aiming for.

I'm a hardcore reader that wants to be able to read wherever, so I use my phone which is always in my pocket :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The new "origami" covers are...odd...

I get that they don't want to go with a shell design like the paperwhite and add mass (for the record I love my official paperwhite cover). They also cant do something like the old hooks with the kindle keyboard cover, but man...what an odd looking cover.

I don't like it and I haven't even seen it in person. :colbert:

I also want a Voyager but they're probably not going to even start shipping to Canada until the new year. :canada:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So someone talked about typography, does that mean you can't just drop your own font into the ereader and use it? Do the devices at least have an option to enable or disable kerning? :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ihmemies posted:

So someone talked about typography, does that mean you can't just drop your own font into the ereader and use it? Do the devices at least have an option to enable or disable kerning? :)

With Kindles I believe you can hack them to change the font, but there's no option for that normally.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You get to choose between six font options, a bunch of font sizes, and choices for line spacing and margins. That's it. No user fonts, no justification choices, no kerning, etc.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You could use apps like Calibre or Sigil to do all that stuff, though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

Kobo is drag and drop, and kerning is default on for OTF fonts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Broke down and pre-ordered the Voyage 3G to replace my Touch. I love being able to sync places in books where I'm not on wifi so I can pick it up on my phone in the shitter later.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Hi again!

I figured this would be a good time to let people know about things that I don't have listed in my SAMart thread (it is getting pretty long)-

If anyone wants a NOS (new old stock) Amazon Kindle Keyboard case, I have plenty of the official unlit black covers (bulk packed, separately). I'd be happy to send you one for $10 CONUS, $15 for two, 5 for $25. If you need or want more, I'm available to do bulk.

I also have cheap USB AC adaptor cubes in both black and white (5v, 1A output), $2/ea+shipping, and black or white USB 2.0 3' cables for $1/ea+shipping.

I also have a ton of Kindle parts if anybody wants to try to repair their own. I have the elusive 2nd generation Kindle screen (well, 3 of them left), 7" fire screens with both small and large connectors, various motherboards, 3G cards, etc. Feel free to drop me a PM with your needs.

Thanks again, Thermopyle!

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
What's the noticeable difference upgrading to 300 ppi screen for a normal, non picture book? When I open my paperwhite I can't see pixels on the text or anything. It seems like the biggest + most expensive upgrade though (at least to me, I'm not too fussed about page turn buttons or light sensors) so there must be some advantage?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Crack posted:

What's the noticeable difference upgrading to 300 ppi screen for a normal, non picture book? When I open my paperwhite I can't see pixels on the text or anything. It seems like the biggest + most expensive upgrade though (at least to me, I'm not too fussed about page turn buttons or light sensors) so there must be some advantage?

The fonts appear way crisper.

I could see the difference when I was looking at an Kobo Aura HD vs. my Paperwhite. That said, its not that big of a deal. If you're cool with your current ppi, its nothing to throw your reader out for.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Incidentally, despite the text on the page saying Nov 23rd, I just ordered a Kindle Voyage with a projected ship date of December 11th.

So, if you are planning this as a Christmas present, I'd buy it sooner than later.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Does anyone know if Amazon's deferred payment option expires after you've accepted it? I got the offer and added the Voyage to my cart, and thought it would be cool if I could wait a week or two before buying it, for monetary reasons.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I have a Nook 1 that I used for a few months and then not again. I want to give ereaders another shot.

Paperwhite or Voyage?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

AdmiralViscen posted:

I have a Nook 1 that I used for a few months and then not again. I want to give ereaders another shot.

Paperwhite or Voyage?

The voyage seems pretty expensive for an eReader. See if you can get a secondhand paperwhite?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rollofthedice posted:

Does anyone know if Amazon's deferred payment option expires after you've accepted it? I got the offer and added the Voyage to my cart, and thought it would be cool if I could wait a week or two before buying it, for monetary reasons.

It doesn't expire.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Paperwhite or Voyage?

If you can afford it, Voyage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Dammit now I have to decide between a Voyage and an Earl. :mad: