Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Don't know about the first question, but you can definitely organize books transferred over by USB into collections (I run everything off Calibre and never use the 3G function :v:). I'm pretty sure that as long as the Kindle recognizes it, you can put it in a collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Kindles will erratically sync sideloaded books' metadata, if at all. However, if you use Send to Kindle, your sideloaded books will be treated just like books you purchased, including page counts and syncing. You can send Internet articles, books, documents, whatever.

As far as collections, yeah, you can put anything in a collection. I have only made one so far, though, which is my reading queue. It's nice having the titles neat so I can easily find what I want to add, though.

A really subtle thing I've noticed with my Paperwhite 2 (thanks Stupid_Sexy_Flander) is that the barely-there ghosted letters from partial page refreshes give a really similar effect to reading a paper book, especially with the frontlight. It makes the book experience really convincing to me, along with the off-white cast to the screen.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 8, 2015

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Any Onyx device can do TTS, by merit of the fact that they run Android. I believe all of them have headphone jacks, too. They're also on par with Kindles on the hardware front, and for software, I prefer Calibre Companion with Moon+ Pro to any dedicated ereader.

They are a bit more expensive than comparable Kindle models, however. That's the downside.

I'm looking into them right now, thanks for the tip.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
Sorry guys.. I didn't even notice all these questions- and I didn't get too many PMs so I figured the KindleChat was over. :v:

Sad Panda posted:

So the difference between the Kindle 3G between US and European model is only the SIM that is put in? And can I use that SIM between them to change network options?

There is no actual difference with the 3rd generation model, but they had different hardware in the 2nd generation. The 3rd Gen is GSM only, and 2nd gen had GSM or CDMA cards (and slightly different motherboards). The CDMA won't work in a 3rd gen, since there isn't a driver for it.

Tiggum posted:

Wait, so I can take the sim out of my broken Kindle Keyboard and put it in my phone and use the free internet?

You might be able to, but I'm not sure how much they've cracked down on this. It was expressly decided to be verboten even on subforums where rooting devices was commonplace because they didn't want to lose their 3G. I'm sure it has some custom proprietary proxy settings that aren't published. Its also limited on data to 50MB (or so the rumor goes).

sweart gliwere posted:

Since the thread's gone into retro-Kindle chat, I'll ask a question:

Is the last kindle to have audio really the K3/keyboard?

Except for tablets and the first gen Touch, yes.

I still have Kindle 3rd gen screens. I also have 3 first generation 8GB Kindle Fire units runing CM10.1 available for $35/ea w/ charger, cable, case in SAMart left. They're running CM10 because they had bad firmware on them when I got them, and to be blunt, they're too slow for Amazons' Android fork- and that makes them almost completely useless. With CM10 (or 11), they're usable as an economical tablet. You can install Kindle for Android on them with CM, and it works just fine. Plus, you get Google Apps, et al..

Flo Cytometer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 13, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I might be in for one of the kindle tablets, but I gotta ask, honestly what kinda horribleness can I expect from trying to run like netflix or stream video online?

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I might be in for one of the kindle tablets, but I gotta ask, honestly what kinda horribleness can I expect from trying to run like netflix or stream video online?

They seem to do fine with SD content, but I've had the one I'm using puke on scaling down HD YouTube once (It only does has 640x1024). I went down to 480p and it did fine. However, I mostly use it for checking email and shitposting, so YMMV.

E: So far no complaints from the other 10 bought on SAMart, if that helps. :shrug:
E2: My wording was a bit oblique on the resolution. Fixed.

Flo Cytometer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 13, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool. Mostly thinking of using it for just a streaming device. At that screen size I don't need 1080pHD.

Might be dumb, but does it have decent speakers? My mom has an old kindle 8gb tablet but I never bothered to ask, and I think this might lemme play some tunes while I cook or shower or poop or whatever.

That 35$ include shipping?

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Cool. Mostly thinking of using it for just a streaming device. At that screen size I don't need 1080pHD.

Might be dumb, but does it have decent speakers? My mom has an old kindle 8gb tablet but I never bothered to ask, and I think this might lemme play some tunes while I cook or shower or poop or whatever.

That 35$ include shipping?

I'd be willing to say you'll get your $35 out of one of these before you would a Chromecast.

The speakers aren't bad. Cranked up in the bathroom you should have a decent go, if nothing else. I've listened to mine in bed and use it to stream jazzradio or di.fm when sitting at the desk- if only to annoy the dog who only appreciates classic rock.

$35 shipped CONUS. New charger, cable, case. Used, but Grade "A" unit w/ newer battery pack. CM10 preinstalled. If you want to adb sideload CM11/etc, its up to you. First ones' cheap. :q:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool. Gimme.

I'll check out SAMart and look for the thread.

Any major diff between 10 and 11? I.e. 11 will make it run like poop, 10 runs ok?

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Cool. Gimme.

I'll check out SAMart and look for the thread.

Any major diff between 10 and 11? I.e. 11 will make it run like poop, 10 runs ok?

10.1 is based on Android 4.2. 11 is newer- but it isn't "stable" yet; I don't like to give out machines with known problems (I've tested 11, and it worked fine for me, but all I do is Inbox/Gmail/Chrome/Browser/Play/Amazon Kindle 3.8/24-7 Majongg). Some tech nerds have problems with that older release since 5.1 is out now, even though you can still buy phones with 4.0 on them today, even though it is a 4 year old tablet that works perfectly fine and still costs less than olive garden for two.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah, if it's all behind the scenes bullshit I'm not worried about it. I mainly worry about "Oh, this works" and less worried about "But.. I'm not up to the nanosecond date at this very moment! With this old tablet from years ago! WAHHH"

You mentioned having 3, would you be willing to do 2 for 50? I know it's a price drop but I've only got like 50 in my account. Thought I'd ask before trying to find the thread.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

You mentioned having 3, would you be willing to do 2 for 50? I know it's a price drop but I've only got like 50 in my account. Thought I'd ask before trying to find the thread.

Sorry, but $35 is already below my cost (from throwing in the cases). I can't do that unless you want to pay $25 for shipping. :q:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, I'm good with 35 :)

Lemme know your paypal and I'll get the payment sent to you.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Nah, I'm good with 35 :)

Lemme know your paypal and I'll get the payment sent to you.

Its in the thread.. or flocytometer@yahoo.com. Catch me in the next 40 minutes with payment and it'll make shipment tomorrow. Otherwise, it'll be tomorrow afternoon which may or may not make the hub until Tuesday. :ohdear:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You should have it by now :)

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

You should have it by now :)

...and you should have a tracking number from USPS. I'm the fastest draw on SAMart :haw:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, dumb question to ask since I've already paid, but these are wifi only, right?

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Oh, dumb question to ask since I've already paid, but these are wifi only, right?

Yeah. They're WiFi only. I've never seen a first gen Fire 3G in the wild.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool. I thought that was the case but just wanted to make sure about it.

I remember there are like 6 diff versions of the fire out now, including some kinda tv stick. Gets a lil crazy.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Cool. I thought that was the case but just wanted to make sure about it.

I remember there are like 6 diff versions of the fire out now, including some kinda tv stick. Gets a lil crazy.

I also have a Kindle HD 7" for sale and several keyboards, but those aren't $35. :keke:

The stick has half the RAM and lesser CPU of the Fire TV, but for the price.. may be worth getting one as long as you pay for prime.

E: Updated SAMart thread to show that you purchased one..

Flo Cytometer fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 13, 2015

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I broke my paperwhite a month after getting it :negative:. It's a tiny crack but the light makes it unusable.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

gmq posted:

I broke my paperwhite a month after getting it :negative:. It's a tiny crack but the light makes it unusable.

What generation is it? I may be able to rebuild yours for around $40 and shipping.

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013

gmq posted:

If it's under warranty Amazon should fix it for free. I looked into it when I somehow got the same thing, mine was out of warranty though so I was poo poo out of luck.

Sadly a new screen costs something like 1/3 of the device's price so I don't really feel like fixing mine, maybe I'll get a Voyage or something else at some point. The crack isn't that noticeable with low light so I kinda got used to it, doesn't really bother me now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thinking it's finally time to upgrade my Kindle Keyboard Wi-fi (3rd gen). The period key continues to stick and making it unusable as well as draining the battery when not in use. I called Amazon today to see if they will do a replacement at a discount and whatever call-center they patched me through was a loud mess and could barely understand the lady. Sounds like they will only offer one kindle paperwhite (provided I send back my old one, naturally) which is a 3G/Wifi for $107.10. She was not clear on which generation it was. Does anyone with more experience with the trade-in programs have any insight on which exact Kindle I am being offered as well as if there is any chance of getting a Wi-fi at presumably even a cheaper price.

For that price, I'd just as soon buy a brand new Wifi one knowing full well what I'm getting than the mess I was dealing with on the phone.

Thoughts?

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

TraderStav posted:

Thinking it's finally time to upgrade my Kindle Keyboard Wi-fi (3rd gen). The period key continues to stick and making it unusable as well as draining the battery when not in use. I called Amazon today to see if they will do a replacement at a discount and whatever call-center they patched me through was a loud mess and could barely understand the lady. Sounds like they will only offer one kindle paperwhite (provided I send back my old one, naturally) which is a 3G/Wifi for $107.10. She was not clear on which generation it was. Does anyone with more experience with the trade-in programs have any insight on which exact Kindle I am being offered as well as if there is any chance of getting a Wi-fi at presumably even a cheaper price.

For that price, I'd just as soon buy a brand new Wifi one knowing full well what I'm getting than the mess I was dealing with on the phone.

Thoughts?

Send it to me and I'll replace your midboard/keyboard for $5 and shipping? Or, I'll give you :20bux: for it as-is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Flo Cytometer posted:

Send it to me and I'll replace your midboard/keyboard for $5 and shipping? Or, I'll give you :20bux: for it as-is.

I think I'll take you up on the offer for repair, as I will be able to hand it to one of my younger kids as they get older (just gave my Kindle 2 to my 7 year-old and he's loving it). Can you PM me for details?

Still would like to upgrade though, would anyone have insight? If it's the second gen Paperwhite I think I may jump on it after-all. Since I heard a rumor that you can turn it into a hotspot?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Flo Cytometer posted:

What generation is it? I may be able to rebuild yours for around $40 and shipping.

I think it's 2nd gen, 4gb. I'm in Chile so I doubt the shipping would be worth it. :negative:

Zingih posted:

If it's under warranty Amazon should fix it for free. I looked into it when I somehow got the same thing, mine was out of warranty though so I was poo poo out of luck.
I got it new from a local seller so Amazon is probably going to tell me "NOT OUR PROBLEM SUCKER".

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 16, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got the tablet in, booted it up (thanks for sending it charged!) and started to goof around with it tonight. It hung on reddit, the forums, even loving netflix was just unable to load.

Finally just got so annoyed I turned it off and went into the living room to get my laptop, and there's a perfectly timed internet outage to explain why nothing was working :haw:

I just broke down laughing and decided to watch a movie instead.

Gonna give it a whirl in a bit :)

Edit - Yay netflix works!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 17, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Does anybody know of Kindle Voyage cover with a large pocket to hold paper in? The closest I could find is something like this. I like the idea of having a Kindle that I could bundle physical notes with.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I recently got an amazon gift card that makes trying out the new Paperwhite a no-brainer after having my Kindle Keyboard break. How do people feel about the official leather cover for it? At 40 bucks I have to think about it, but I travel a lot and pack it in full backpacks. Is it pretty sturdy?

I had a case by waterfield designs, but the screen and corner protection was pretty weak despite the bulk that it had. Any recs?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

moflika posted:

I recently got an amazon gift card that makes trying out the new Paperwhite a no-brainer after having my Kindle Keyboard break. How do people feel about the official leather cover for it? At 40 bucks I have to think about it, but I travel a lot and pack it in full backpacks. Is it pretty sturdy?

I had a case by waterfield designs, but the screen and corner protection was pretty weak despite the bulk that it had. Any recs?

I got this one and it's dope as hell: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FVU5VJE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

moflika posted:

I've been rocking the Kobo Aura version of this cover, and at least that one is great. Of course I can't completely vouch that the Paperwhite version is equally good but it does look very similar.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Sweet, thanks for the recs. I'm in Europe, so I'm going to have to see if there are some alternatives worth trying out!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

If you don't buy the screaming chicken omoton case I don't know what to tell you. I love mine.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I bought this leather sleeve for $10 and it's good enough for me.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2LG2WK

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

I bought this leather sleeve for $10 and it's good enough for me.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2LG2WK

I have the official Amazon Paperwhite case and don't really care for it. It's bulky and I end up taking the reader out when I read anyway. This fits the bill, thanks.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The official cases are bulky, but I got an OMOTON one for my Voyage and it's perfect; slim, sleek, and protects it well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My keyboard 3rd gen kindle's battery is dead. Is it worth replacing the battery alone or should I just get a new paperwhite? The paperwhite just got replaced so the chance of an update in the near future is slim right?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I replaced my cheapo Chinese pleather Paperwhite case with an official Amazon case and I much prefer it.

It's a little heavier but it feels very nice in your hands. They look almost identical but the Amazon one is softer and has a much nicer texture. As far as protection goes, they're both fine. It's a minor luxury.

Worth the money in my opinion.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon released new firmware to port Bookerly to older devices. It looks pretty good at a slightly larger size but I hope they release a bold version soon.

hotsauce posted:

I have the official Amazon Paperwhite case and don't really care for it. It's bulky and I end up taking the reader out when I read anyway. This fits the bill, thanks.

Glad I could help.