Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

8one6 posted:

Whelp, after 6 years of service, a storage upgrade, and a replacement battery I can say that my first gen nook is now completely dead.

Take into a B&N store, say you changed your mind and need to return for a refund. Be sure to video the encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I'm considering getting an Oasis because I'm an idiot, but I have a few questions.

Can I still use Calibre and drag and drop mobi files?
How good is Calibre at preserving formatting?
Will I lose features by sideloading books? (vocab builder, X-Ray, time to read etc)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Daimo posted:

I'm considering getting an Oasis because I'm an idiot, but I have a few questions.

Can I still use Calibre and drag and drop mobi files?
How good is Calibre at preserving formatting?
Will I lose features by sideloading books? (vocab builder, X-Ray, time to read etc)

The Oasis functions the same as all other Kindles so far. You shouldn't convert to MOBI though if you want to preserve all of that, converting to AZW3 instead is much better for preserving formatting, and having better results for the other things.

Plain MOBI is simply too old to support all the formatting options.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

fishmech posted:

Plain MOBI is simply too old to support all the formatting options.

I haven't had success emailing AZW3s to a Kindle in the past, but fortunately you can output hybrid MOBI files which contain MOBI 6 (old format) and KF8 (new format, same as in AWZ3 files) sections. These should get accepted by the Kindle personal document service and preserve new stuff.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Thanks for the tip on file formats, I'm coming from a tablet so all my books are .epub. I realised I don't really enjoy reading on the device due to its weight and LCD screen.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Anybody upgrade from the 6th generation Paperwhite to the 300ppi model? I talked myself out of getting the Oasis but that $70 trade in credit is tempting.

To answer my own question, it's worth the upgrade. I can put my face right up against the screen and the text is crisp. No jaggy areas around the font.

I was lucky enough to get it for $30 after the $70 trade in credit they gave me.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Can anybody speak to the quality on the refurbished Voyage? Also, would anyone who has the Oasis say weather it's worth the extra $90 over a new Voyage? Are the extra lights or the weight really a big deal? I'm coming from the first gen nook and it weighed more than my last two cell phones combined.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 6, 2016

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

My refurbed Voyage might as well be new.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Not having tried the Voyage I can't say for sure, but I would definitely call the Oasis a splurgy-type luxury item, so unless you're getting it for yourself and want that you might be happy with the Voyage.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

8one6 posted:

Can anybody speak to the quality on the refurbished Voyage? Also, would anyone who has the Oasis say weather it's worth the extra $90 over a new Voyage? Are the extra lights or the weight really a big deal? I'm coming from the first gen nook and it weighed more than my last two cell phones combined.

A refurbished Voyage should be practically indistinguishable from a new one, and a new Voyage is very nice.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Funny how the Oasis has made the Voyage price seem sensible now.

I have ZERO reason to upgrade from my Paperwhite and yet they both look so tempting......

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think what's made the Voyage's price sensible is the OCD people who retuned it 12 times due to a tiny variation in front light intensity/color so now there's a glut of refurbs.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

You better believe my new Oasis is going back if it isn't perfect!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Has anyone done the Paperwhite 3 waterfi waterproofing? Getting it done costs as much as buying another PW3, but I'm really considering it. Not needing to worry about rain or ziploc bags when in the tub or at a pool/beach seems like a big plus. How does it respond to sand or ocean water?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon released a special Blind and Visually Impared Kindle Paperwhite for $140 (but it also comes with a $20 credit)

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-Visually-Impaired-Readers/dp/B01AS6HK7G

quote:

-Kindle Audio Adapter enables VoiceView for Kindle, which allows you to navigate your Kindle with text-to-speech and listen to books through connected headphones or speakers (sold separately)
- A single battery charge provides up to 6 hours of continuous reading while using Kindle Audio Adaptor
- Kindle Audio Adapter only compatible with VoiceView enabled Kindle e-readers (does not support music or audiobook playback)

VoiceView for Kindle, which also uses Amazon’s award-winning natural language text-to-speech voices (formerly known as IVONA), enables blind and visually impaired customers to read books and navigate their Kindle e-reader via voice prompts.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 11, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That's kind of nice if you have bad/no vision, have books you want to read that don't have audiobook versions, or you want to read more books than you can afford to buy the audio versions of. I wonder how much better the robot voice is these days.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Amazon released a special Blind and Visually Impared Kindle Paperwhite for $140 (but it also comes with a $20 credit)

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-Visually-Impaired-Readers/dp/B01AS6HK7G

What a weird thing. The Kindle Keyboard still seems like the better option for blind people since it does the text-to-speech thing and also supports audio books. I don't know how the touchscreen works for blind people, but that seems like it would be an issue as well.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tiggum posted:

What a weird thing. The Kindle Keyboard still seems like the better option for blind people since it does the text-to-speech thing and also supports audio books. I don't know how the touchscreen works for blind people, but that seems like it would be an issue as well.

I wonder how the special offers work. Hey there, I know you just want to hear my robot voice read your book, but first maybe you want to buy a diamond ring from Amazon.com.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is pretty cool. Some guy put together his own audio adapter.

quote:

Here’s what you need: a USB audio adapter (which typically sells for around $6 or less), and a micro USB to full-sized USB adapter (available for prices between $1 and $10). German site Alles eBook notes that all you need to do is plug headphones into the audio adapter, plug that into the USB adapter, and connect that to the Kindle.

The VoiceView feature is included in the latest software for the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and the Kindle Oasis. But according to Alles eBook, if you copy the voice files to the Kindle Voyage, VoiceView will work on that model as well.

Keep in mind, VoiceView is designed specifically for accessibility. There’s no way to turn on text-to-speech just for listening to eBooks. When TTS is turned on, so is audio navigation, which could be a bit frustrating for Kindle owners don’t have trouble seeing the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z130hXddUOE
(skip to 1:45 to see it in action or 2:53 to hear it read)

http://liliputing.com/2016/05/diy-audio-adapter-amazon-kindle-text-speech.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 13, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mozi posted:

Bookerly:

Caecillia Condensed:

Ember:

With my normal font, spacing and margin settings (I'm too lazy to move my eyes horizontally):
Bookerly:

Ember:

Don't have that issue with mine, thankfully.

Edit: I just had an update pushed that added two new fonts:
Futura:

Open Dyslexic:

It also added a landscape mode option.

These screenshots have me concerned; is ragged-right alignment the norm on the Oasis? My first-gen Paperwhite justifies everything to both the right and the left, which I love. I couldn't stand reading a book formatted like whatever you're reading.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Weedle posted:

These screenshots have me concerned; is ragged-right alignment the norm on the Oasis? My first-gen Paperwhite justifies everything to both the right and the left, which I love. I couldn't stand reading a book formatted like whatever you're reading.

Whether a book is justified or normal left/right aligned is entirely up to whoever makes the book file. If you want to force the body text to be justified, you'll have to edit the file itself in something like Calibre.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

After going through two Oasis's in two days from a store I think I will wait for Amazon to iron out quality control issues and buy from them when they get stock.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Daimo posted:

After going through two Oasis's in two days from a store I think I will wait for Amazon to iron out quality control issues and buy from them when they get stock.

Mine's been solid; what issues are you having? (Maybe I have them to and just aren't aware of it!)

On the Oasis in general, I have humongous gorilla hands and long fingers and it might just be a bit too small for me to deal with :S I can't get a comfortable grip with my thumb naturally located over the page-turn button, whether I set "next page" to the top or bottom button. I end up gripping it just like I did my Voyage, with a full hand wrap around the back and I just extend a finger in from the right side to screen-swipe next page.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Daimo posted:

If you're after perfectly even LED lighting, you will never get one, just FYI.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The first one had a defect in the glass which let light pour through.

The second one had a dead pixel or whatever the equivalent is.

The LEDs being slightly visible at max brightness didn't bother me as I won't really use it but defects in the screen are unacceptable for a luxury device I'm going to stare at for years. It's like paying for cataracts.

I too felt it was too small to hold in my hand comfortably, flipping the cover around was oddly better in that respect.

It's a great device no question about it and I still want one asap.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is this the current generation refurb Kindle Paperwhite? I think it is but the original price of $109 makes me wonder since the non-refurb units are $119.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yes, the current gen is the only 300ppi one

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
If you're looking for a cheap Kindle Voyager, I'm selling one in SA Smart. Send me a PM. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778534&perpage=40

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
How do any of the current kobo models stack up to the voyage or oasis?

My venerable kobo touch has finally given up and won't power on.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I was planning on upgrading my original paperwhite this year, but the Oasis has left me unimpressed. The voyage is exactly what I want, but am I foolish not to wait one more year? The voyage is bound to be updated, but what could they change? Are there any new eink screens in the works? Longer battery life? Faster refresh? An attractive leather case?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

http://waterfi.com/refurbished-waterproof-kindle seems like a perfect upgrade, there are a bunch of youtube reviews and I doubt they're all shills. You'll be happy with the PW3 - the 300dpi screen is great, and the lighting is completely smooth on mine. There's a finally a color panel that's been making some news, but I'd say we have at least 4 years before it hits an actual ereader; it's a multi-second page turn, and right now they're only targeting its use toward commercial advertising displays

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DarkSun6890 posted:

I was planning on upgrading my original paperwhite this year, but the Oasis has left me unimpressed. The voyage is exactly what I want, but am I foolish not to wait one more year? The voyage is bound to be updated, but what could they change? Are there any new eink screens in the works? Longer battery life? Faster refresh? An attractive leather case?

New e-ink screens are constantly being developed, but they seem to only come to consumer products every 3 years or so. So basically, a Voyage with a truly improved screen wouldn't be around until late 2017/early 2018.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Demon_Corsair posted:

How do any of the current kobo models stack up to the voyage or oasis?

My venerable kobo touch has finally given up and won't power on.

The Kobo Touch HD is nearly identical to the current Paperwhite.

Which one you want comes down to price and if you are tied into a specific ecosystem.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

20% off all kindles bar the Oasis on amazon.uk at the moment.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Kindle Paperwhite with Special Offers is only $20 on Amazon right now :stare:

I kinda detest ads but for $20 I think I'll just deal with it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dubstep Jesus posted:

It's dead now so I hope you grabbed it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's dead now so I hope you grabbed it.

:negative:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

This caused me to check out the Amazon Warehouse deals page for the first time in a while... :stare:

Kindle Keyboard - $27
Kindle Keyboard 3G - $28
Kindle Touch - $23

And there's more varieties, too. I don't remember old-model kindles ever being this cheap! Those trade-in programs must have worked out really well for them.

edit:

Oh, looks like there's a special deal going on for used Kindles. Here's the page.

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 12, 2016

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I got my new Oasis directly from Amazon today and I'm very pleased that there are no issues with it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I got in on the $20 Paperwhite, but they cancelled it this morning at 3AM. Shame, too. That price was finally good enough for me to consider upgrading from my 3G 3rd Gen Keyboard.