Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

Same here. I'm a Pediatrics resident and I use my NC for e-copies of all my textbooks, so I don't have to lug 15 pounds of books around in a bag. I can also reference them while I'm on the floors. What it has over a Kindle, other than those texts not being really viewable on Kindle (PDFs) is that I get all my pictures and diagrams in full color, so I can see the specific anatomy of that baby's heart defect with color-coding, or see the red ring around the blisters for that other baby's neonatal herpes. Kindle can't do any of that poo poo. The fact that I can use it to get on UpToDate and also watch movies and poo poo is just bonus.

Would it be fair to say that Kindles kill babies, then? Because I want to be able to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Let's be honest, most of the people in this thread aren't talking about what an awesome ereader the Nook Color is but how they can root it and turn it into a decent/cheap tablet that they can read comic books/surf the internet/watch videos/etc.

It is a valid thing to ask yourself when you are looking at which one you want to get. Do you want a device designed solely for reading that will mimic the experience of reading on paper or do you want a jack of all trades device you can also read on?

If it is the first, go with the Kindle/Nook/Sony. If it is the second, get the Nook Color or iPad.

I just had the same dilemma because I wanted an e-reader and came to the conclusion that I'd rather buy a Kindle for e-reading then one of the nicer tablets when they come down in price later on this year.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Sporadic posted:

Minus the color schemes/brightness, Kindle also has all of those.

Yes, it does. But you quoted the part where I said I don't like e-ink and took out all the other things I like that the Kindle doesn't have. What's your point?

People aren't going to be converted when they get a device and like it. I don't get why there are so many "PC vs Mac"ish arguments. I wasn't trying to convince anyone why they should give up a Kindle for an NC--just trying to say what I like and the things I took into consideration. Kindles are pretty awesome, too. Again, it just depends on what you're looking for.

Though I will admit to being biased against Kindles because they don't work with any library ebook provider I know of. It does make helping patrons easier, though. Soon as they say they have a Kindle I can apologize and tell them it won't work and I won't have to explain Adobe Digital Editions over the phone. Disappointing for patrons, almost a relief for me.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
How can you not like eInk? Do you also not like paper? :psyduck:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Devi posted:

Yes, it does. But you quoted the part where I said I don't like e-ink and took out all the other things I like that the Kindle doesn't have. What's your point?

I'm wondering what your point is about not liking eInk, since people usually say things like "I'd prefer to have a backlight and be able to read PDFs" rather than "I don't like it."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Devi posted:

That you were partially wrong. That's all. Wasn't trying to start an argument or convert you or anything of that nature.

I thought it was strange how you went "I don't like eink" and then list things the Kindle can do as if it can't. The stuff I took out was stuff you were right about (and things I didn't need to comment on/weren't relevant to my post)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 25, 2011

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Charlie Mopps posted:

How can you not like eInk? Do you also not like paper? :psyduck:

I like staring at LCDs, apparently. Maybe because the only eInk displays I've seen are store models that have been sitting out and on for too long. But they always look drab. And (again, this may be because of the less than ideal examples I've seen) the pages flicker badly when turned.

Vertigus posted:

I'm wondering what your point is about not liking eInk, since people usually say things like "I'd prefer to have a backlight and be able to read PDFs" rather than "I don't like it."

Too used to computer monitors and my iPhone and I think eInk looks like old technology (wrong, I know). I like what LCD offers--brightness, color, backlight--and don't like the limitations of eInk. I don't like the way it looks. I don't think it looks just like paper. Again, my experience with it is limited.

Sporadic posted:

That you were partially wrong. That's all. Wasn't trying to start an argument or convert you or anything of that nature.

I thought it was strange how you went "I don't like eink" and then list things the Kindle can do as if it can't. The stuff I took out was stuff you were right about (and things I didn't need to comment on/weren't relevant to my post)

The Kindle and the NookColor do similar things. Stuff I like about the NC isn't exclusive to it. I have a coworker who listened to what I love about the NC and told me I should have gotten an iPad, but I don't want one of those, either. There was a set of things I wanted and the NC has all of them. The Kindle and the iPad have some. The iPad has more, but I didn't include "doesn't cost too terribly much" in my earlier criteria. Otherwise you'd have another tick in the Kindle column :)

Is it that weird that someone doesn't like eInk? Do I need to look at someone's personal Kindle instead of a store display? I think my expectations have been warped by the iPhone.

Getting away from that, Nook has announced that "this spring" NookColor owners will be able to download apps. They'd said the launch would be in Q1 and there's only a few days left for that. Spring gives them more time. They're also heavily promoting Angry Birds as that's all people want to do with devices it seems.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

You're right about page flicker. e-Ink has a low refresh rate, and it has to black the screen on every page turn, it seems.

You're right about the colour too - it's still a light grey. It'll be nice when they make e-Ink displays with pure white displays and unnoticeable refreshes, since then it'll be closest to a book.

Luckily I don't mind at all, and I've got a Kindle 3 so the problems aren't so bad as some other readers.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Centipeed posted:

You're right about page flicker. e-Ink has a low refresh rate, and it has to black the screen on every page turn, it seems.

You're right about the colour too - it's still a light grey. It'll be nice when they make e-Ink displays with pure white displays and unnoticeable refreshes, since then it'll be closest to a book.

Luckily I don't mind at all, and I've got a Kindle 3 so the problems aren't so bad as some other readers.

"Closest to a book" is what eInk is right now, since instant refreshes would be really awkward to someone used to turning the page before they read what's on the other side.

Next time you read a book, pay attention to how long it takes you to turn the page and start reading the text on the next. You'll realize that you're really used to just holding the last line of writing in your head while you do it, and that an eInk refresh isn't much slower.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Also while the screen is gray, under good light it looks white. I've put the kindle and a paper book next to each other, and in good light there is zero difference between the two.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Seriously, in the right light the Kindle's screen absolutely glows.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Devi posted:

the pages flicker badly when turned

The thing about this is that you completely stop noticing it after using it for a while. I was showing my Kindle to a friend and they said "Why does it turn black like that?" and it took me a while to figure out what they were talking about because my brain doesn't even process it anymore.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Why do people get their panties in a bunch over the screen flickering a little bit when you change the page? You can't exactly read a page in a book while the previous page is still being turned, and that takes the same amount of time. What a bunch of fuckin pussies.

edit: pony avatars

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Also, for extended reading periods, black on grey is a lot easier on the eyes than black on pure white. Even half the paper novels these days don't use pure white.

And I would go absolutely loving nuts if I had to charge my e-reader every day or two. Yes, I do use it that much. Thank god for the kindle's battery life.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I actually use the NC's white on grey "Night" color scheme more than anything else.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there any reason people choose the Nook Color over an iPad save for the price difference? I currently have both a Kindle and an iPad, I use the Kindle for "books" and the iPad for magazines/comics/and multimedia. Quite happy with both, and really prefer the e-ink screen for text over the LCD screen.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

petewhitley posted:

Is there any reason people choose the Nook Color over an iPad save for the price difference? I currently have both a Kindle and an iPad, I use the Kindle for "books" and the iPad for magazines/comics/and multimedia. Quite happy with both, and really prefer the e-ink screen for text over the LCD screen.

iOS vs Android.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Fuzz posted:

iOS vs Android.

$ is probably the main thing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

petewhitley posted:

Price certainly made it easier, but I prefer Android to iOS. I also find the 16x9ish screen preferable for video, even if I don't get any extra resolution out of it. gently caress 4x3 in the taint. But this is more of a tablet discussion than an ereader discussion.

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Is there any way to use the Kindle app to sync last read position between a Kindle and an iOS device? I know it'll do it for stuff purchased from Amazon but can you force it to sync stuff from other sources that you load on the devices yourself?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

anothertenbux posted:

Is there any way to use the Kindle app to sync last read position between a Kindle and an iOS device? I know it'll do it for stuff purchased from Amazon but can you force it to sync stuff from other sources that you load on the devices yourself?

Yes, you need to run the ebook through Calibre and put it directly into the kindle app's books folder with something like iPhone Explorer or via ssh if you are jailbroken. Using iTunes to sync it over won't work.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

m0isty posted:

Yes, you need to run the ebook through Calibre and put it directly into the kindle app's books folder with something like iPhone Explorer or via ssh if you are jailbroken. Using iTunes to sync it over won't work.

what? I don't think this is true.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

El Hefe posted:

what? I don't think this is true.

It is: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121487

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Not that it brings anything new to the discussion really, but it's interesting to note that NPR ran a story about rooting the Nook Color today.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Have any of you had to quote/cite a book on your kindle? I have a book I had to read for class that I got on my Kindle for free, but there's no page numbers still, even though I upgraded. Do I put location or something? Explain to my professor I have it on my Kindle?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Shnooks posted:

Have any of you had to quote/cite a book on your kindle? I have a book I had to read for class that I got on my Kindle for free, but there's no page numbers still, even though I upgraded. Do I put location or something? Explain to my professor I have it on my Kindle?

you can always reference by chapter or section

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

El Hefe posted:

you can always reference by chapter or section

Doh, didn't even think of that. It's a pretty old book with a ton of little sections in it in Roman Numerals. I'll do that and explain to my professor.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shnooks posted:

What format? Both MLA and APA have citation formats for ebooks.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Maneki Neko posted:

What format? Both MLA and APA have citation formats for ebooks.

Chicago

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
From A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers, 7th ed, regarding ebooks:

Chapter 17: Bibliographic Style: Specific Types of Sources (probably what you want)

When you cite books published in other electronic formats, such as those available for download or other delivery from a bookseller or library, identify the format (CD-ROM, Microsoft Reader e-book).

N: 1. Thomas H. Davenport and John C. Beck, The Attention of Economy: Understanding the New Currency of Business (Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2001), TK3 Reader e-book

B: Hellman, Hal. Great Feuds in Technology: Ten of the Liveliest Disputes Ever. New York, John Wiley, 2004. Rocket e-book.

Chapter 19: Reference List Style: Specific Types of Sources

When you cite books published in other electronic formats, such as those available for download or other delivery from a bookseller or library, identify the format (CD-ROM, Microsoft Reader e-book).

R: Davenport, Thomas H., And John C, Beck. 2001. The attention economy: Understanding the new currency of business. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business School Press. TK3 Reader e-book.

Hellman, Hal. 2004. Great feuds in technology: Ten of the liveliest disputes ever. New York: John Wiley. Rocket e-book.

It doesn't have anything about in text locations for e-books listed for either format, though it does include a bit for online sources. However since they didn't make any point to mention it e-book you're probably fine not doing it, you should definitely ask her for any specific citations she would want though.

Circle Nine fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 27, 2011

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Circle Nine posted:

From A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers, 7th ed, regarding ebooks:

Chapter 17: Bibliographic Style: Specific Types of Sources (probably what you want)

N: 1. Thomas H. Davenport and John C. Beck, The Attention of Economy: Understanding the New Currency of Business (Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2001), TK3 Reader e-book

B: Hellman, Hal. Great Feuds in Technology: Ten of the Liveliest Disputes Ever. New York, John Wiley, 2004. Rocket e-book.

Chapter 19: Reference List Style: Specific Types of Sources

R: Davenport, Thomas H., And John C, Beck. 2001. The attention economy: Understanding the new currency of business. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business School Press. TK3 Reader e-book.

Hellman, Hal. 2004. Great feuds in technology: Ten of the liveliest disputes ever. New York: John Wiley. Rocket e-book.

It doesn't have anything about in text locations for e-books listed for either format, though it does include a bit for online sources. However since they didn't make any point to mention it e-book you're probably fine not doing it, you should definitely ask her for any specific citations she would want though.

Thanks, that's all really interesting. I guess I can but that it's from an e-book and the section it's in. For what it's worth, It's Seutonius' The Twelve Caesers, so there's a ton of little snippets where I can put "Section ___"

slothmonster
Sep 28, 2009

Mashed keyboard to write about a woman getting murdered rather than potatoes. WTF

THUNDERDOME

lessthankyle posted:

Would it be fair to say that Kindles kill babies, then? Because I want to be able to say that.

In the Book Barn e-reader thread there's some talk of owning books instead of a Kindle will kill children with you know the falling bookshelves and stuff.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Shnooks posted:

My professors have forbidden me to cite from the e-book due to the unreliability of the book. I can understand them, seeing as to how if I really wanted to I could go into Sigil and change it. I just go to the library and look up exactly what I need and use that.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Guilty posted:

My professors have forbidden me to cite from the e-book due to the unreliability of the book. I can understand them, seeing as to how if I really wanted to I could go into Sigil and change it. I just go to the library and look up exactly what I need and use that.

This has just inspired me to go into one of my friends' ebooks and create a gratuitously sexual or violent scene in the middle of it to see their reaction, thanks. Ethan Frome wouldn't be the same without the blowjob scene, just like you couldn't have Oscar Wao without the scene where he strangles the cat.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ara posted:

This has just inspired me to go into one of my friends' ebooks and create a gratuitously sexual or violent scene in the middle of it to see their reaction, thanks. Ethan Frome wouldn't be the same without the blowjob scene, just like you couldn't have Oscar Wao without the scene where he strangles the cat.

This is now the most hilarious way to totally gently caress someone over for like a high school English class or undergraduate literature course. Imagine the crickets when the guy you pranked is like "so why is no one talking about that scene when Gulliver is captured by the Countess when he's small and she tries to put him in her hoo-ha? That was insane!"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

This is now the most hilarious way to totally gently caress someone over for like a high school English class or undergraduate literature course. Imagine the crickets when the guy you pranked is like "so why is no one talking about that scene when Gulliver is captured by the Countess when he's small and she tries to put him in her hoo-ha? That was insane!"

"And how weird was it that Jonathan Swift actually used the term hoo-ha? I had no idea it was that old!"

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Just noticed a new section in the Kindle storefront with Audible books, new for me at least.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just got my kindle 3, I'm extremely impressed with the clarity of the text and how easy it is to read. Good purchase so far!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
This is more about Amazon's kindle store than the kindle itself, but here goes. Since kindle purchase are all one-click buys, is there any way to prevent it from using gift card balance? I have a few things I want to buy something, but it's for work and I intend to expense it, so I'd rather not use my gift balance to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

This is more about Amazon's kindle store than the kindle itself, but here goes. Since kindle purchase are all one-click buys, is there any way to prevent it from using gift card balance? I have a few things I want to buy something, but it's for work and I intend to expense it, so I'd rather not use my gift balance to buy it.

If I remember right, you can gift Kindle books. So make a new account, buy it normally, and gift it to your normal account.