Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

madprocess posted:

With no 3g radio, and no physical or always-present virtual Android buttons, there is absolutely no way you're getting the official Android Marketplace on it. Google simply won't allow that although obviously if you hack it you can get the official Market. And I also really doubt it's going to be anywhere close to stock 2.2.

Take note that the sources the article links to mention things like "customized Market" "may not have access to all apps", etc, all indications it's not the real Market.

I have a rooted NC with a hacked Market, and the current workaround is a SoftKey program that overlays software Back/Home/Menu keys when you press a symbol that's overlaid over all programs.

I doubt they'll do something like that for official though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I sold my original Kindle and picked up a nook color to root and use as a tablet, drat this thing is really nice for the price. I also loaded up the Kindle android app, so I get to keep all my Kindle purchases and still read them.

It is a bit heftier than my original Kindle, but that is given with the LCD and all. The built-in PDF reader is kind of weird, but once rooted I picked up the Adobe Reader app and it works like a charm. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty to root, it's a steal as a tablet for $250. I don't think I would have bought it if I was stuck with the stock B&N overlay though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Telex posted:

can any of you rooted nook color users run a benchmark on the thing?

I'm wanting to rectify some x-mas purchasing mistakes tomorrow if possible, and the thing looks pretty neat if I can root it, make it a comic book viewer and play a few games here and there on it.

Then again, if it's basically slow and lovely on games maybe it's worth splurging on an ipad. I want books #1, comics #2, games #3. And I can live without most apps since I'll just run them on my phone. Hell, maybe games aren't even important but 8hrs worth of games on a screen that doesn't cramp my hands would be okay..

The couple of 3D games I've tried have run fine, but they were just racing games. I haven't tried anything really taxiing just yet, but I have read a couple of comics on my Nook color and even with the full page showing and it was fine. I use Droid Comic Viewer for it. The first few pages take a couple of seconds to load, but after that they load instantly.

Nook Color has 512 mb RAM compared to the iPad's 256, too. If you really want an iPad, wait until the new ones come out. Buying one now would probably be a mistake.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

You can always buy a pattern and make your own if you or someone you know can sew.

I bought the pattern above and my friend is going to make one for me, it seems to have different dimensions for all the popular readers, so you don't end up with a "one size fits all" situation where it doesn't fit well.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Priz posted:

Considered picking up a Nook Color so I went down to B&N to play with one. The interface seemed a bit... sluggish. Reading text wasn't so bad, but just the overall experience didn't seem smooth.

I have used an iPad in the past so maybe I was spoiled on that, but does rooting it and adding stuff help speed it up? I'm on the fence right now, so before pulling the trigger I figured I'd come on and ask for other opinions/suggestions.

I feel that the stock software is slow on its own. I'm using a third party launcher and have no speed issues whatsoever.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Iron Squid posted:

Most likely. But how can I get Windows to knock this off?

Also, I've finally gotten my Nook Color rooted. Unfortunately its not playing YouTube videos. The instructions for this are kinda contradictory so if anyone knows how I can enable YouTube, I'd appreciate it.

Youtube breaks once you sign in. Use Titanium Backup to clear data and it should work again. Or you can uninstall it (have to remount system as rw I think), and install the version in this thread, which doesn't break if you're signed in.

As for Lightroom opening up, open Lightroom, go to edit > Preferences and under General untick "show import dialog when a memory card is detected".

Since your Nook functions as a memory card reader, LR sees it as a memory card and opens up. Or if that's already unticked, go to the AutoPlay settings (just type "AutoPlay" in the start menu search if you're on Vista+), and if there's an "Open Lightroom" in one of those, you can change it to "Take no action".

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Iron Squid posted:

Does anyone have a step-by-step guide to rooting a Nook Color. I've used the AutoNooter but, practically speaking, its the same as before. I can't get Apps via Market (which I believe can't be done; they have to be imported somehow), YouTube isn't working, etc. I'm sure I've missed several steps but Google gives me confusing and sometimes contradictory info.

This page should have the latest info. Market indeed works, however the youtube thing is persistent. You'll need to replace it with the one from this thread. Be sure to do the things listed under "Enable Market" in order to sign into your Google account.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Daric posted:

I'm trying to decide if I should root my nook color today. Obviously an update would reverse the root right? I'd have to wait for them to figure that out again.

The only thing I'm kind of concerned about is that I like the way my books sit on the dock on screen and since I really only use it to read books, should I even bother rooting it. I do have the scott pilgrim trades that I'd like to read but other than that, what's the big advantage?

You can always try one of those bootable SD cards. You can have Froyo run off an SD card, and once you take that out, you'll be back to stock. Kind of like a live CD, but editable.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

maxnmona posted:

having custom screensavers is awesome and I have no idea why amazon hasn't made such an obvious thing a feature yet.

I find it weird because it was already in the original Kindle, and they took it out. :psyduck:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Flyboy925 posted:

I am having no luck with electronics lately. I have the Nook Color, and its do some weird stuff. I will be in the middle of reading, and the 'page slider' will come up, and start shuffling randomly through the pages available. There's no way to get it to stop, other than to hit the power button, to turn it 'off' and back on. Its happened about 3-4 times in a week do far. Time to get a new one?

If you have it plugged in, unplug it. There's some terrible grounding issues while it's plugged into the AC adapter, and it messes with the touch screen.

If not, then yes, totally exchange it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I just got a Nook Color and rooted it, but as this is my first foray into Android, I'm having a hard time getting things going... I have several apps installed, and I'm getting the hang of SoftKeys and all that, but I want the thing to default to my App page and not require me to go into the Launcher, then go to Extras to see my ugly plain white menu with all my poo poo there... how can I convert this thing so it mainly sits on an app-loader multi-page sorta layout, like you see on phones? Didn't see a Nook Color specific thread (even though I kinda feel like it's jacked out enough to warrant one) so does anyone have any handy links to show me how to start hacking this thing's Gibson?

Install a third party launcher like ADWLauncher from the market. It'll give you a nice home screen that you can customize with icons/widgets/etc.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Cool, screwing with it now. I've also got it working as my default Home button, but now when I try to doubleclick the Home button, SoftKeys doesn't come up anymore. I tried messing around with the settings in both SoftKeys and Home Switcher, but nothing. This is with GO Launcher, is ADWLauncher better?

I gotta say, this thing is loving amazing, though.

EDIT: Another issue: This GO Launcher has removed the Menu button on the bottom. While I don't really need it sine all the functions can be accessed through shortcuts, looks like, it was still handy to have for the back button and such... any way to restore that?

EDIT2: Also is there a good Media Player app that can play avis and mpegs? Something that won't choke trying to run on this thing.

You need softkeys as the default "press home" action, but you can set what it uses as the launcher in its settings. I know in ADW you can swipe up to show/hide the status bar with the back/menu button. For a media player, I just use this handbrake setting and something like Rock Player for unconverted videos. This stuff is probably better off in the tablet thread, though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Has there been any word on a Tablet version of Launcher Pro or the like yet? I feel like on some of the YouTube vids I've seen, a lot of people have their Nook layout looking similar in spacing to a phone's, without all the gaps.

In ADW at least, you can go into ADW Settings and set the number of rows/columns. I'm sure there's a similar option in LPP.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Is there a way to delete poo poo off the B&N bookshelf? My sister downloaded a bunch of demos of lovely books, and now they're on my pretty bookshelf next to all m Vonnegut books, and it's painful to look at. I checked in the directories, tried clearing teh cache, and there's no option to do it on the shelf itself. Really annoying.

You have to go to the B&N Website > My Account and My Library, move poo poo to the Archived section and delete it from there. It really is a huge pain in the rear end. I don't know why ebook sellers think samples of books should go into libraries permanently. Amazon is the only one who doesn't do that, I think.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

cyberbug posted:

Does anyone know how the location numbers in Kindle are calculated? I couldn't find any definitive information about that.

I believe it's 1 location number per 128 bytes.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

nostrata posted:

I bought the nook right after it first came out and have loved it since, so I never bothered looking at the kindle 3 when it came out. But it just died on me and although it is getting replaced I still went out to explore my other options and checked the k3 at the best buy. I've decided I really want that screen, but on a nook. What are the chances we will see a real 'nook 2' coming out soon with upgraded screen and internals?
I have played with a nook color (both my father and girlfriend have one) and while it is nice and fun to play with, for actual reading, I prefer the e-ink screen.

I'm pretty sure I remember B&N filing new stuff for a new Nook. Everyone was convinced it was a tablet, but I'd bet it was a new E-Ink reader since the Nook Color is only 6 months old. So probably either sometime this summer, or right before the holidays (though I'd bet the latter).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Is the non-Paperwhite Kindle good? I'm going to pick up a Kindle and I'm not sure whether the backlight and touchscreen would be worth the $50 premium for me.

The main thing I'm worried about would be searching for content without a keyboard :v: I had a Gen 1 Kindle for a while and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Someone I know wants to repay a thing they owe me by buying me a Kindle book. How does that work? Can they actually buy it on their account and have it shipped to my PW or do they need to log in as me or what? I've never done a gift before so I'm not sure what they'll need from me, if anything.

You can buy a kindle book as a gift. In the US at least, not sure about up north.