Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

I'll be getting a Kindle 3 for Christmas. If I want to convert TXT, RTF or HTML to Mobi, is there anything in Calibre's settings I should be looking out for? There are quite a lot of options on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Oh, TXT files are fine? OK.

The Kindle doesn't support HTML for books, though, does it? So I should convert those?

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

In Calibre, if you convert a book into another format, and THEN change the metadata on the book, does it update that metadata in both formats?

Also, Calibre has a "Number in the series" metadata, so it has "Book 1.00" for the first book, "Book 2.00" for the second book, etc.

But the Kindle seems to ignore this? Arranging by Author doesn't get the series in the right order. I suppose if worst comes to worst I could rename the titles to have numbers at the beginning, as I do with MP3s, but I'd prefer not to have to do that if anyone has a better solution.

Centipeed fucked around with this message at Dec 26, 2010 around 00:06

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Every time I stop reading for a prolonged period of time (Say a few hours), I turn the device off completely, by holding the power button.

Does this have any battery saving advantages over putting it to sleep? I know that eInk doesn't require energy to display the image, but I assumed that the Kindle was still "On" if you just put it to sleep, and will run out of battery faster.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

maxnmona posted:

Since the eink doesn't require energy to display and assuming you turn off the wireless when not using it, what exactly do you imagine is on?

I imagine a state similar to a laptop being in standby, but now that I consider it, it's no faster to turn on when the screen-saver is up than when you switch it off completely.

I will put it to sleep from now on, rather than switching it off.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Ara posted:

Wait... what? When it's completely off, it takes more than a minute to boot up. When the screensaver is up, it should take less than 5 seconds.

Just for clarity, when I say "Screen-saver" I mean I slide the power switch briefly, and it puts up a random image as a screen-saver.

When I say "off", I mean I hold the power switch to the right for about 5-10 seconds until the screen goes blank.

When I slide the power switch to the right from either of these states, my Kindle only takes 2 seconds at the maximum to bring up the book I was last reading. I just tested it.

Is what I'm doing to turn it off completely not actually turning it off completely?

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Is there an easy way to edit books in mobi format on my computer? They were converted from another format, and they're fine except that there's a few formatting issues that'd be easy to fix if there's a quick way to do so.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Do you ever read a sentence and have it occur to you that you're reading something that someone from the past could not possibly understand?

This:

Would be complete gibberish to someone from only a few decades ago, and yet it makes perfect sense to me. Amazing.

This only amazes me until I consider that the 80s (For example) also had plenty of phrases that would be out of place 20 years before.

And it'll likely be that way forever.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

maxnmona posted:

Forget the 80s, I would have had no clue what "I got bluetooth on my nook" meant in 2000.

I would have looked at the person's crotch ever so briefly, before looking back at their eyes again and assuming a stone-faced expression of polite dismissal of the news I'd just heard.

I might also wonder why the person had just told me something so private.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Is there any kind of resource for finding cheap fiction on Amazon? I look through the Science Fiction and Fantasy sections (My main haunts in literature, but I'm certainly not restricting myself to them) on Amazon.co.uk, and all of the cheap fiction seems terrible.

How should I go about finding good recommendations for cheaper books?

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

We all think eBooks should be cheaper, because there are less costs involved, but that's because we're hopeful consumers.

It's far more likely that the publishers are charging what they think the market will bear, which they much prefer when it comes to deciding on retail prices.

When it came to paper books, this was all right with me because I just bought all of my books used, but now that I have a Kindle and don't want to buy paper books any more, I have to focus on older books.

Not that I'm complaining - you can't argue with a nicely formatted and chronologically ordered complete collection of Sherlock Holmes for £0.75, even if all but the last book are free on Gutenberg.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Amazon have started a service called "Kindle Singles" - they're like short stories, but not fiction.

http://www.amazon.com/b/?&node=2486013011

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

I just saw this post on Lifehacker:

http://lifehacker.com/5744899/briss...n-your-e+reader

It's a program designed to crop PDFs so that they'll fit better on an eReader. I don't use many PDFs, so I'm not going to test it, but someone might find it useful.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

teraflame posted:

How are the e-ink type color displays coming along? Mirasol seems interesting, they're trying to make it fast enough for video. But is this stuff months or years away?

I can't be the only one who thinks that using e-ink for video defeats the purpose of e-ink?

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

The thing about Gustave Doré... is that he's incredible.

My mother bought me a large copy of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner for one of my birthdays, and every other page was a woodcut by Doré - the time put into carving those waves must have been monstrous.

(Of course, after looking him up, I realised that his assistants did all the engraving.)

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I just started paying more attention to the battery life on my Nook (E-ink), and I seem to be getting about a week and a half out of it. This is with the wireless turned off, reading maybe 30 minutes a day average, and just idling showing the screensaver for the majority of the time. Does this seem low? I'm curious as to what everyone else is getting.

I didn't really pay attention before, I'd just recharge every week or so, but recently I had it completely drain a couple times without me realizing it. According to the battery meter on the settings screen, it's losing about 10% of the charge every 24 hours.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3384107

I suspect that if you have the screensaver up then that's using more battery than if you hold the power slider for four seconds to turn the screen off.

I know the screen doesn't draw power, but it turns on so much faster when you have the screensaver up versus when you turn it off that I suspect something is still on.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Sporadic posted:

If it is like the Kindle, nothing should be on unless he just put new books on it (in that case, it will index the books while in sleep mode)

Oh, wait. I thought he was talking about the Kindle.

Well, I checked my Kindle a few days ago after having not used it for a week or two, and the battery was flat.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Alright I don't know if you were replying specifically to me here or not but I think something got confused somewhere.

He was replying to me. Originally I replied to your post thinking that you were talking about the Kindle, because I had my own battery life questions, so he was educating me.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

I got my unlit case and Kindle at Christmas, and haven't had any problems.

Then again, I only put it in the case to protect it. If I'm reading, I take it out.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Emailed Amazon about my freezing/unlit case issue. Will update later. Maybe I can provide a another testimony for their customer service, it if interests anybody.

I think it's been pretty much proven at this point that Amazon are awesome at customer service (At least, regarding the Kindle? I don't know how they are with other stuff).

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

maxnmona posted:

if microsoft got in trouble for bundling Explorer in with Windows, how in the world is Apple getting away with disallowing apps that sell through webpages rather than their system?

Microsoft only really faced all of that stuff because of their huge market share, but the iPhone isn't as ubiquitous.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Traxis posted:

The official Kindle cover will only crack the case if you attempt to open it from the back instead of the front. I just stuck some velcro on the back of my Kindle and on the case to keep the back cover from flexing and to hold it more secure.

People have actually done this? I always slip the elastic over the front cover, so if I ever picked it up facing the wrong way the elastic would be on the back and I'd immediately know what's up.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Ziir posted:

Already on 3.1. Guess I'll have to deal with waking up in the middle of the night without my glasses/contacts, groggy, and seeing some woman with no eyes staring into my soul.

If you switch it off and she appears, just switch it on and off again and get a different wallpaper?

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Anyone use the nook or kindle's built in browser with the forums here? If so how is it?

I just tried it on the Kindle 3, although I didn't log in. If there are links near the cursor, it'll snap to them, so the best way to scroll is to get the cursor into an open space so it changes to the regular cursor icon, and then you can scroll pretty well that way with the directional buttons.

The tables were hosed up (Everything was slim), but I suspect that if I HAD logged in, and the ads weren't present, then the posts would have been wider.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

fishmech posted:

I kinda hate how the page number update removes both location numbers and page numbers from showing up unless you press menu, so you have a bunch of wasted space above the bar like this.

I never used that information, so I like how they've made it more minimal. They could get rid of the percentage, even, and just have the bar.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can anyone answer this? I think I've looked through every single menu and it's not there.

The answers people have already given are:

1) Once the update has been downloaded you need to put the Kindle to sleep to update it, so you might not have been updated to 3.1 yet.

2) Not every book in the Kindle store has page numbers yet. It's up to the publisher to update them, I believe.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

feedmegin posted:

My experience is that you can't use a standard USB cable to fast charge. Their special cable has actual extra wires in it and stuff to enable that. It will connect fine to the PC and come up as a USB device, and it will charge very very slowly off standard USB (like, overnight). I discovered this when my Nook cable stopped working Fortunately they replaced it for free.

This isn't true of the Kindle, is it? I just ordered a generic USB cable for use with my Kindle.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

Josh Marwell, President, Sales for HarperCollins, told LJ that the 26 circulation limit was arrived at after considering a number of factors, including the average lifespan of a print book, and wear and tear on circulating copies.

Using paper books as a guide for how you make eBooks available is ridiculous.

Edit: There needs to be a major eBook publisher that authors can go to, get a higher cut, have the books sold at a lower price, and which treats the customer better. Like Steam for eBooks.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

maxnmona posted:

There is. It's calling publishing the book yourself and then selling it on the major ebook stores, which is really easy.

Well then all of the authors I read need to start doing this and selling their books for $5

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm having trouble using Calibre 0.7.47. The book I've got has a much too wide left margin - about 1.5cm. I want to reduce this to about 0.5cm. I've tried reducing the Left margin in Page Setup to 0pt and 0.5pt but it doesn't seem to affect the margin at all. I'm outputting in Kindle MOBI format. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Preferences, check Ignore margins in the Output Options - Mobi Output. Sorted. I wish I weren't so anally retentive about my ebooks being perfectly laid out. But I'm like that with lots of stuff in life - spelling and grammar mostly. Nothing send's me further into blind rage than poor speling and apostrophies' thrown around like there going out off fashion.

(Sic.)

The problem with this is it can ignore left hand margins that are meant to be in there, can't it?

Like inset quotes or text before a chapter?

Edit: Just tested this on one of the books I was getting a left hand margin on after converting, and it fixed it beautifully. Inset quote attributions and such remain inset, as well.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Centipeed fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2011 around 21:40

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

obi_ant posted:

It's funny cause I'm planning to use the Nook to buy Amazon books. I wonder how many people are doing this very thing.

If this is your plan is there any reason to buy a Nook rather than a Kindle?

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

You're right about page flicker. e-Ink has a low refresh rate, and it has to black the screen on every page turn, it seems.

You're right about the colour too - it's still a light grey. It'll be nice when they make e-Ink displays with pure white displays and unnoticeable refreshes, since then it'll be closest to a book.

Luckily I don't mind at all, and I've got a Kindle 3 so the problems aren't so bad as some other readers.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Javid posted:

Is there any way to change the "list every book on the device at once" default view on the kindle 3 to, say, subfolders by author or something? Having 12 pages of books to scroll through blows, and it's only going to get worse.

If you scroll up on the home screen until "Showing all XX items By XXXX" is underlined, you can press the right button to sort by Title and Author. You can also sort by Collections, which is the closest to what you want, but you'll have to put books in collections yourself.

To make that easier, create a collection by pressing "Menu" and then "Create New Collection", name it after an author, and then highlight the collection, press the "Right" button, and select "Add/Remove Items".

This will let you select multiple items in one go, so you're not having to select every book and choose "Add to Collection".

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Do you think there'd be enough interest / knowledge for a thread specifically devoted to cheap and decent books available on the Amazon and B&N book stores?

There are a lot of cheap books on Amazon, and most of them are probably crap, but there might be some real gems in there, and the Kindle store is terrible for finding that stuff.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

I wish deals like this were international. It's regular price on the UK Kindle store.

Speaking of being screwed over for not being American, Amazon still haven't released any Active Content poo poo for the non American Kindle stores. Not that I really desperately want to play Scrabble or whatever on my Kindle, it just seems arbitrarily pointless. I know I can just change my Amazon address to a US one to get all this stuff, but why not just release it over here already? [/disgruntled Britisher]

Your post, and the Consider Phlebas deal being American only, has made me realise that I may not be the best person to start a thread for Kindle / Nook deals, since I'm in the UK and might not be able to verify a lot of them.

There's going to be a point in the future where people find out that in 2010 online stores were limited to different countries, and they'll think it's the stupidest thing they've ever heard, but unfortunately that time is not now.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Here's a good solution/resource (can set region, e.g. UK or USA):

http://www.ereaderiq.com/

Via http://lifehacker.com/#!5790152/ere...books-on-amazon.

Don't know if there's something similar for Nook et al.

I got this through on my RSS feeds, but when I tried to set the region to UK and do a search, it didn't work.

Still a great site, though.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Gazaville Slugger posted:

For some reason, I seem to have the "New Oxford American Dictionary" and the "Oxford Dictionary of English" on my Kindle following my hooking it up to my wireless connection. I can't seem to remove/archive either. They are functionally identical from what I can tell. Is there a way to remove one of them so I don't have both showing up all the time?

Are you in the UK? I have both of those as well, and I assumed that the latter was a British English dictionary while the former was American English.

I don't know how to get rid of them, but it never bothers me because they remain at the end of the list at all times.

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I like that the Sony doesn't have a keyboard, it just takes up space on the Kindle and i never use it.

I like the keyboard being there because then I can hold it by the bottom of the device without touching the screen.

How does this work with Sony readers, or the Nook even? You have to get fingerprints on it?

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any rumours on the Kindle 4? If it weren't against God and against nature, I'd marry my Kindle 3.

Since they've just announced an advertisement-supported version of the Kindle 3, I doubt they'll be invalidating it with a Kindle 4 any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centipeed
Apr 19, 2007

Can someone explain to me how library lending is defensible these days? I'm obviously glad that the public has free access to books from a central source, but aside from the "We should be living in a free utopia" argument, I don't know how libraries can be defended now that books are cheap enough.

«3 »