Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Amazon need to have daily deals in the UK as well. If not the SAME daily deals (For licensing reasons) then different ones.

And they also need to re-vamp the Kindle store so that finding good, cheap books is easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Heads-up to UK goons:

Full story here. I'm a pretty big Amazon/Kindle fanboy, but more mass-market e-readers in the UK can only be a good thing.

I hope they realise how important excellent design and file-format support is to their success. Amazon is a tough opponent, and I can imagine a high street chain here just doing whatever they feel like rather than considering their best options.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

There's no time limit. You can also redownload it as many times as you want.

BobTheCow posted:

When you buy a book through Amazon, it will essentially sit in a queue until the next time your Kindle has wireless access, when it will automatically check for new downloads. I've sometimes gone weeks at a time without remembering to turn on wifi and books immediately download from that whole length just fine.

Junkenstein posted:

When you buy a kindle book, you're not really buying it for your kindle, you're buying it for you kindle account, which you can then send/delete as many times as you want to whatever device you want.

Don't listen to these idiots. After you buy a book from Amazon, you've got about a 5 minute window to get it onto your Kindle before it deletes itself.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

It seems as if the Kindle Touch isn't available in the UK. They're only advertising the non-touch Kindle (There needs to be a name for it).

And it appears to be the non-special offers edition as well. It's £89. Which is a good price.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

chippy posted:

And it's cheaper than the keyboard one and doesn't have a 3G option?

I am utterly baffled by these decisions.

edit: Oh, less storage and batter life. It's kind of a Kindle Lite.

I'm not baffled at all, but both the Kindle and the Kindle touch appeal to me. I suspect I'll get the Kindle eventually, because I like to have buttons on either side.

Especially if they don't sell the Kindle Touch in the UK within a reasonable time-frame.

It's going to be annoying to have to get another case, though.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

repiv posted:

Is there any problem with importing an american Kindle WiFi to the UK? Can I reconfigure it to buy from the UK store?

Amazon are being dicks and only releasing the vanilla Kindle here, not the Touch :argh:

Well, from what I understand the Kindle Touch will be released later in the USA than the Kindle will be.

So perhaps it WILL be released in the UK at the same time, but they're just not allowing pre-orders because of fulfilment issues?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Not if you're Amazon. To them the Fire is a device they're selling below cost in order to bring customers into the Amazon ecosystem. At worst, they subscribe to Prime for free videos. Hopefully, they start buying videos, music, and apps because can use them on their tablet, phone, or computer. Including microSD would be a negative, it encourages people to buy content from other sources (or steal) which does not make them any money. People buying off Amazon shouldn't need expandable memory either, they can re-download old content they purchased at no extra cost.

The Kindle line is not designed to be a top of the line tablet or e-reader, it's a device meant to make you purchase Amazon content. It's great that they don't lock the memory completely.

Yeah, people need to realise that the Fire is more a window into Amazon's content marketplaces than a portable computer. They cost wouldn't be so low if they weren't able to rely on people purchasing content from them.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Gorbash posted:

I haven't seen this posted earlier, but PC Mag are reporting that you can now upgrade your Special Offers kindle to the non ad-supported one through the Manage Your Devices menu, for a $30 fee.

That makes it more of a trial thing, I guess - get that one, and if the ads are insufferable turn them off.

That's nice - it's the same price difference as between the two models at purchase, so if anyone pays the lower price and can't stand the ads, they can just pay the difference to get the ad-free model.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Can Amazon pay me $30 to downgrade to the ad supported one? :what:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were willing to. Shoot them an email.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

weapey posted:

The Kindle 4 page-turning buttons look kind of awkward to press now.

Anyone got one with their thoughts compared to the Kindle 3? (I have fairly big hands FWIW)

Instapaper's Marco thinks they're basically the same:

http://www.marco.org/2011/10/07/review-79-kindle-with-ads-and-buttons

512 Pixels' review thinks they feel better:

http://512pixels.net/kindle-2011-review/

Edit: Also worth noting is that the Kindle 4 doesn't come with a plug adapter for the USB cable. You have to buy it separately.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 7, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

It's out of warranty and they offered you a discounted price on a new one. Lower your standards a bit.

Yeah, having a crack develop in the casing of your Kindle 3, deciding to "not worry about it", then waiting until after the warranty expires to worry about it, seems to be no fault of Amazon whatsoever.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm planning to buy the Keyboardless Kindle, and then give my Kindle 3 to my mother.

I have non-Kindle content on my Kindle 3 - Would I be able to just copy and paste a folder from my old Kindle to my new one and maintain collections and whatnot? I've only got one collection, for books I've read, so if it doesn't maintain collections that's fine.

At the very least I'd like it to maintain metadata for each book. I've got them named a certain way.

Or is it a case of having to use Calibre?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Just asking again in case my previous post was missed:

If I buy a new Kindle, is it possible to simply copy a folder from the old one to the new one and have nothing go wrong?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've only got one collection, which is for books I've read, so that's no problem.

But what about metadata? I've named all of the books quite carefully on my Kindle through Calibre, but my Calibre library is sort of scattered across more than one PC at this point.

If I copy the folder across from the old Kindle to the new one, will the metadata stay intact, or is that stored in some database on the Kindle that I can't access?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm interested to know how you noticed that in the first place.

Also, I'm guessing that with Amazon trying to drive the price of the Kindle down, the manufacturing quality is going to be going down along with it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I came across this short article about the EU's investigation into Apple's ebook cartel:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/12/06/why-europes-trustbusters-targeted-apples-e-book-cartel/

If any of you weren't following the "scene" when it happened, Amazon used to sell books at a loss ($9.99) to increase interest, the publishers threw a hissy-fit, and they used Apple's new ebook store as a reason to price fix their products so that Amazon had to charge more.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Amazon is still the majority market presence in ebooks, right? What would have happened if they had said "No, we won't sell your books if you adopt this agency model"?

Edit: What I mean is, doesn't Amazon have enough power in the ebook market that publishers would be stupid to threaten to not sell books through them?

ahobday fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 8, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Enos Shenk posted:

The Fire can be connected with USB to load content. I use mine with Calibre all the time. Oddly though the device comes with a USB cord identical to a Kindle USB cord, but no charging power brick.

None of the new Kindles come with the power adapter for the USB cord, I don't think.

One of their ways to get the price down, probably.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Mine came with the power adapter.

My Kindle 3 came with a power adapter/USB cord combo too. I'm in the UK, though.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

My Kindle 3 has those hairline cracks in the bottom two corners of the screen. I've just noticed them for the first time, and given that it was a Christmas present last year, I suspect it's just out of warranty (Assuming the standard warranty is a year).

Thing is, I'm planning to get the Kindle 4 very soon anyway, and give this Kindle 3 to my mother. What will happen to those hairline cracks?

What are the chances that Amazon in the UK will replace it for free even though it was bought over a year ago?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

SB35 posted:

As many have said before, CALL them and find out. They've been much more responsive to calls than online requests.

Can't hurt to try, and the worst answer is 'no'.

That was my plan, but in case they say "no" I wanted to know what the end result of these corner cracks is going to be.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Just saw this on PandoDaily:

http://pandodaily.com/2012/01/17/confessions-of-a-publisher-were-in-amazons-sights-and-theyre-going-to-kill-us/

Reading the email, I just couldn't help but hope it all comes true soon.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Are we assuming that if Amazon gets a monopoly through which it can influence book pricing, they'll drive the prices up?

Maybe they're a nice company like Steam, and like to do things which benefit consumers as well as themselves?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Wait... The non-Touch Kindle doesn't have the dictionary look up?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just came across this PDF, which I don't believe has been linked in here:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/ebooks04112012.pdf

Starting on the fifth page (Ignoring page numbers) the document describes the situation and what Apple/The Publishers actually did.

Makes for interesting reading if you're not already intimately familiar with the situation.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Isn't the whole point of https that the data's encrypted at all points between your machine and the host? I would've assumed that while a proxy could skim anything, all it would get would be garbage data since it shouldn't have the keys.

Unrelated, but is that dot in your title there to make people think it's dirt? I rubbed my monitor, drat it! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kindle needs better collections sorting/organising, but I'm happy now that I've abandoned any need to organise that way.

These days I keep on collection: "Read".

Anything I've finished goes in there, to be filed away.

Anything I haven't finished stays on the main home screen.

I have about 90 books on my Kindle, so it's a long list, but given that I'm only reading one at a time, and for a month or two, I don't have to trawl through that long list often at all.