Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
So I have a choice of an ereader for an early christmas gift, and I'm trying to get my research straight. I'm looking for good pdf support and enough memory to allow me to take at least a good portion of my pdfs with me (I have about 4 gigs worth but it grows slowly, mostly academic stuff). I guess I would also like to know if there are any options available that allow highlighting or annotation on PDFs. In fact, highlighting and adding notes to any kind of non-standard media (I guess google books stuff or project gutenberg, that kind of thing) would be very nice. I have been looking at the Kindle DX because it has the biggest screen, which is a plus for me. Right now my choice is between that and the Nook because I'm a fan of expandable memory. I'm also interested in learning about the Sony reader (I guess the model with the biggest screen?) and how it fits into the criteria here. And ic case anyone thinks I might be missing something important, are there any other questions that I might be interested in looking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

Troubadour posted:

Pretty sure the only tablet device that allows pdf annotation is the iPad.

So is this something that's on the horizon for other reader type things or something far off?

EDIT:

Ethereal posted:

Honestly, by the time you can fill up the built in memory of the Kindle with books, there will be a much better version of the Kindle available for purchase.

That's probably true, as I just looked at my collection of PDFs and realized that about 90% of the space was taken up by some MIT OCW video lectures. WHOOPS. So in that case storage isn't really a problem. How about ease of adding PDFs?

Captain Frigate fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 27, 2010

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

Another question, what's Calibre? What's it useful for?

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

So could I convert my PDFs to something more kindle friendly and then annotate them?

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

Sporadic posted:

Yes, although normal PDF to mobi is rough (expect to lose most of the formatting). If it is an image based PDF, you'll have to use a OCR on it like ABBYY PDF Transformer and manually fix any gently caress ups before converting .DOC to .MOBI (mostly spacing, deleting page numbers/headers, etc)

https://wi.somethingawful.com/7d/7d447ad54bec7586cde0fd5cf1d58e0a8d9e0b34.jpg

Ah, gotcha. Also, waffle was pretty fast about losing that image!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

gmq posted:

Is there any news about a Kindle price drop for Christmas?

I'm actually more interested in a possible price drop tomorrow for "cyber monday" or whatever.