Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

Is there any way to send corrections for a Kindle book? I have one (Anathema) that used negative dates in a few places, like "the year -1492", and they didn't put a proper space before the minus so it ends up as "the year-1492".

I know this is petty, but it's wrong dammit. And reliably wrong too, in the whole book, like it just got converted wrong.

If I complain, will they just refund me the money and take the book back?

Use kindle-feedback@amazon.com - I sent in the location numbers, and I got a $5 gift certificate once. The second time I did it, I got nothing. YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ara posted:

You ever re-download the book later to see whether they fixed it? I never bother because I doubt it'd ever get changed.

I actually just did - IT (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SR2PKG/) is still full of OCR errors. Misplaced italics, misplaced punctuation, "Deny" instead of "Derry", line breaks, missing spaces, all that poo poo. I started to put notes on the errors after the first couple of times, and in checking, I have 58 notes on http://kindle.amazon.com A few of them are genuine notes, though.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parkettpolitur posted:

After the page turn, the previous page sort of persisted on the new page, albeit faintly. As a result, the new page became illegible or at least very hard to read, since the previous page was still visible. A hard reset fixed this and now I'm wondering how common this issue is.

I have a faint, "ghostly" image of the previous page all the time on my kindle. It's normal. The problem is that e-Ink only refresh(es?) the needed areas of the screen.

Press Alt-G to force-refresh the whole screen. That should be faster than a reset. If that doesn't work -> Amazon support.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kerafyrm posted:

I got my Kindle 3 today and have already read quite a bit on it; I actually feel a little guilty because I have a regular book I've been reading, but I want to play with my new toy, darn it. :3:

I was reading the first book in a trilogy when my Kindle arrived, so I just went ahead and bought them all in e-book format (I had them all as regular books). I wanted to start right away, too :)

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

maxnmona posted:

The free books mostly have lovely formatting, but all the professional ebooks I've seen on my kindle look exactly like printed books.

Stephen King's IT has horrific OCR-errors. I told Amazon about it 3 months ago, just redownloaded it, and they're still there. I made a point out of making a note for every error.

To be fair, it's the only "horrific" one I've seen.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hope and vaseline posted:

If anyone here is a Jose Saramago fan

Hitler posted:

This title is not available for customers from your location in:
Europe

:argh: Ahahhahahha! gently caress yoooouuuuuuu Amazon! :argh:

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Centipeed posted:

Can someone explain to me how library lending is defensible these days? I'm obviously glad that the public has free access to books from a central source, but aside from the "We should be living in a free utopia" argument, I don't know how libraries can be defended now that books are cheap enough.

Yeah, gently caress poor people! They're all so poor, with no money! They don't deserve to read, they can just wallow in filth like they deserve!

:aynrand:

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 21, 2011

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Centipeed posted:

For some terrible reason, I hadn't thought of this at all. I guess I assumed that public institutions couldn't lend books in the same way as private people could, unless they had permission?

Anyway, I certainly wasn't criticising libraries - as I said in my original post I'm happy they exist. I was just trying to consider them from the publisher's perspective, and apparently failing.

In Denmark authors get money from the state in compensation for their books being available for lending.

http://www.bibliotekspenge.dk/oversigt/2010

The top author gets 795,411.49 DKK ~ 150,000 dollars a year.

Read about it in Danish!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Centipeed posted:

But if libraries are perfectly within their rights to lend books that they own at no cost, then why do authors get compensated?
I don't even know what means.

Centipeed posted:

Or are the rules concerning this sort of thing different in Denmark?

Apparently.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guilty posted:

Awesome, how fun, playing devil's advocate against a beneficial social institution. Can we do hospitals next?

I don't see why I have to pay for other people's use of hospitals. I've never needed them!

People just need to be more careful.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Calibre finally sees the light of day, regarding the insane update-cirkus he has!

Downloading a 35 MB file EVERY time? Really?!

Also, the translation is a little wonky.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

m0isty posted:

Yes it can. Not straight "out of the box", sure, but it definitely can.

I think you already know that...

He does know that, he's being intentionally obtuse.

He's "technically right" - the best :spergin: kind of right!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I read all my Baudelaire on parchment made from virgin lamb, killed during the summer solstice :smug:

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

They're ready for calls anytime of day or night actually, might as well call right now.

Yeah, sounds like they use Indians or something, the times I've called them.

And they'll replace anything, no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon finally allows last-page-read in your own personal documents! I got this e-mail:

quote:

Dear Kindle Customer,

As a past user of the Kindle Personal Documents Service, we are pleased to let you know about some improvements:
• Your documents are now automatically archived in your Kindle library (you can control this from the Manage Your Kindle page at https://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle).
• Archived documents can be re-downloaded from your archive to the all-new Kindle and Kindle Touch devices, as well as Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3rd Generation--requires the latest software update v3.3 from https://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates) – you will be able to find and download your documents from any of these devices that are registered to your account.
• Now (just as with Kindle books) Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for your documents (with the exception of PDFs) across devices.

Of course it's not available for me, because I only have a 2nd generation Kindle, but hey! Good news for everybody else!

Read more: https://www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments