Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

doctorfrog posted:

Yep, and yep! I wish there was an easier way to download the Instapaper from my Kindle, though. Navigating to that tiny kindle button on the Kindle browser is a bit of a pain.

Download the .mobi file to your PC then upload it to your kindle via your @kindle email address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I'd like a touchscreen kindle to get rid of the keyboard which I never use but I'm not buying something that doesn't have physical buttons for page turning.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
It would also be a better choice if you really need to read a lot of .pdf files.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Everyone probably knows about these already but I've recently started using two small apps which make me love my kindle even more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000719931

Tiny windows app that adds a 'send to kindle' option when you right click files. I use it for documents I have written myself or books from project gutenberg.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ipkfnchcgalnafehpglfbommidgmalan

Chrome extension so you can send any webpage direct to kindle with one click. Great for long essays etc.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
http://villagecraftsmen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/nookd.html

quote:

Some weeks ago I decided that I wanted to read Tolstoy's War and Peace. Lou Ann loaned me her copy. At more than 1100 pages, reading it in bed required as much strength as balancing a box of bricks in my hands. In my senior years I have developed arthritis in my thumbs, which made the effort not only difficult, but painful.

I had read about half of the novel when I was given the gift of a Nook, the e-reader from Barnes and Noble. Although I am committed to supporting my neighborhood independent book store (Books to be Red), and enjoying honest-to-goodness books, the .99 Nook edition was so lightweight that it has made reading War and Peace a genuine pleasure. For those of you who have not tackled this tome as yet, it is a page-turner.

As I was reading, I came across this sentence: "It was as if a light had been Nookd in a carved and painted lantern...." Thinking this was simply a glitch in the software, I ignored the intrusive word and continued reading. Some pages later I encountered the rogue word again. With my third encounter I decided to retrieve my hard cover book and find the original (well, the translated) text.

For the sentence above I discovered this genuine translation: "It was as if a light had been kindled in a carved and painted lantern...."

Someone at Barnes and Noble (a twenty year old employee? or maybe the CEO?) had substituted every incidence of "kindled" with "Nookd!"

Amazing.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Has anyone ever done that thing where you can return the book in seven days for a full refund?

I've bought loads of books on the kindle and never done it before. I've just finished one that was really bad and littered with typos and other formatting errors and am sorely tempted. But on the other hand I did read it all the way through to the end and I've let other books go before that were equally as badly done. I want my money back, but I feel kind of like a dick trying to get it, like I'm ripping off amazon/the writer because I did finish the book.

I don't really know what I'm posting this. Just if you've ever returned a book to amazon for the refund tell me why you did it please.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

RVProfootballer posted:

A really simple reason I like ereaders compared to books is that they're a flat surface that is lit uniformly really easily. I read a paperback book recently and had to adjust the book every other page so that the page I was reading was nicely lit by the table lamp. The ereaders with lit screens are even better.

This is one of my favourite 'small things' that I love about reading on a kindle.

Others are the dictionary, being able to see the time quicker than getting my phone out, not having to fold corners or look for bookmarks. Little details that don't sound like much but add up for a better reading experience.

At this point the only thing I miss about real books is how cool they looked all lined up on my shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I agree with the comments below that review. Looks great and the only reason I'm not giving amazon my money is because there's no physical page turning buttons.