Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit again: I would love to use my Kindle as an RSS reader, but am not about to pay $1 per blog a month just to get news "conveniently." Anyone know of an easier/cheaper way than using the web browser (or even just setting the web browser for mobile websites only)?

I've used Google Reader on my kindle 3 fairly succesfully, was there somnething in particular you didn't like?

I do generally like it better in "full screen" mode as described here, but seems pretty decent in general:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/simple-tip-turns-kindle-into-ultimate-news-reader/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I am really curious how the Google ebooks thing will pan out, seems like these kinds of ventures have not been wildly successful from them in the past.

I'm also curious to see what changes are on the horizon for the Kindles, seems like lack of ePub support is starting to become more of an issue.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

Google Docs I would classify as fairly successful and definitely useful so far, and that's a very similar concept. Personally Amazon already provides the same features that Google offers (syncing via multiple devices), I'm already using it and it works better because its native. Have I missed any big feature that Google is offering here?

I meant that they haven't been wildly successful at selling things to consumers via a store, and I was primarily thinking of Google Video.

Google Docs (and the other Google apps) are certainly useful, but a different model.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Snuffman posted:

My kindle just came in today and I have to say, the screen is blowing me away.

I thought e-ink was e-ink, but it really is much crisper and faster on the refresh than the Kobo (even the new one). The interface is a million times better.

That said...I was wondering:

Is there a way I can set it so the "screensaver" is the cover of the book I'm reading?

Can I navigate my library on the kindle by covers? Or is it just text?

If it doesn't, these are minor minor things (that the kobo does) that don't detract from the better screen and interface of the kindle.

Those would be be neat, but no I don't believe the Kindle offers either. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Aphasian posted:

I told you guys. :colbert:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20026116-1.html

Interesting. I sold my non lighted cover a long time ago, but it really didn't seem like the clips were metal, but plastic.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That's believable. I heard different, but hey, it's the internet.

Could be. On the other hand, Amazon and amateur romance novels -- yeesh. Don't ever browse the Kindle store for free books.

Well, unless you're looking for romance novels, then you've hit the jackpot.

Don't forget historical christian romance novels! I do check the free books thread over at KindleBoards and there's the occasional good book, but yeah, it's almost 100% romance or religious books (or both).

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 22, 2010

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Island Nation posted:

So I got a Kindle this Christmas and while I love it so far, the battery went from fully charged to about 25% in just about 30 hours with wireless mostly off. I do have a lighted official cover but I don't think it could have drained the battery that quickly since I didn't use the light much. Am I doing something wrong with it or was it a fluke?

Did you install a bunch of books?

Apparently indexing the books on the Kindle does eat up a decent chunk of battery life, probably better to see how things look after the next charge/drain cycle.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Trig Discipline posted:

People keep saying stuff like this, but I've read on my NC for hours at a time with no problem at all. Either I have positively herculean eyes, or this issue is way over-exaggerated.

I did play around with the demo in Best Buy and it looked terrible.

Talked to a friend who owns one and loves it, he thought maybe it just looks terrible under the fluorescent lights that Best Buy uses?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jimlad posted:

Is anyone else here keeping tabs on what happens at CES? I decided to hold out on getting an ereader until I find out what's going on with those funky Mirasol panels. Someone's bound to announce a new colour ereader based on those in the next day or two, right?

OH hay, look at this. Just a reference design, but still an actual device. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/mirasol-equipped-qualcomm-reference-tablet-hands-on/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

thedouche posted:

What is the best case for the Kindle 3?

I like this one, although they are big on terrible colors. I want to something to protect my kindle though while it's not in use, I prefer holding just the kindle while reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Quilted-Envelope-Display-Generation/dp/B003U4VIWW/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

JayBulworth posted:

I'm happy with my 3rd generation Kindle and don't plan on buying a new e-reader until they make a colour version. So with that said, how close are we to colour e-ink or a similar equivalent?

They're just at the prototype phase for color eink right now, current best guess is Fall:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/mirasol-shows-prototype-reader-like-device-playing-back-color-vi/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ziir posted:

How come the "update firmware" option is grayed out for me? I have 3.0.2.

Did you copy it over via usb?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelgi?nodeId=200529700

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ziir posted:

Oh silly me, I thought it would update over wifi.

It would eventually, once Amazon has pressed the button, but it's still in "early preview" mode, which basically means "if you want it, come get it yourself"

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Solvency posted:

Well poo poo. I learned the hard way that Kindle books that are loanable can only ever be loaned once. That makes it a significantly less useful feature.

The nook feature (unfortunately) works the same way, just an issue with ebooks in general right now.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Aphasian posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00403MNSK?ie=UTF8&tag=blackga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00403MNSK

Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: Reaching for the Soul of Beer and Brewing [Kindle Edition] free right now.

This has been free before as well. The Kindle Boards book bazaar forum has a thread going each month to track free books:

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/board,42.0.html

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

vyst posted:

Haha yea I read through a good chunk of the thread and you're right. I think we can agree not all PDF's are created equal though, and I was curious if anyone had experiences with the devices and the MS Press books.

I've thrown some MS Press books on my Kindle 3, and honestly they aren't great, unless you want to do a bunch of scrolling or squinting.

You really need something with a bigger screen.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shnooks posted:

Have any of you had to quote/cite a book on your kindle? I have a book I had to read for class that I got on my Kindle for free, but there's no page numbers still, even though I upgraded. Do I put location or something? Explain to my professor I have it on my Kindle?

What format? Both MLA and APA have citation formats for ebooks.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Amazon Warehouse Deals has the Black Lighted Kindle 3 cover for $14.99. Apparently condition varies, but some people report getting brand new covers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DZ165W/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Boxman posted:

I just got a Kindle for a gift (and the Amazon case with built in light thing, which I am absolutely :swoon: over for some reason), and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Except I usually stick to library books so I'm a little bummed about the possibility of spending a bunch of money to read. So, [edit-that was silly] ... has there been any dates given for when Overdrive support is dropping?

Not as far as I've seen, just "later this year"

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Isn't there an Amazon announcement today too, or did I imagine that?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

sbaldrick posted:

Have any of the big three book readers managed to making reading PDF files better on eink. Or is that still a pipe dream

What do you mean by "better"? I think most of the issues are more of a function of screen size than anything else.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sperg Victorious posted:

Just a note, TSA doesn't always like it when you pack your kindle in your bag. So you should think about setting it in a bin with your shoes. Seems like some care, some don't if its in your bag. Other than TSA, the flight attendants just told me to turn it off for take off and landing.

My understanding is that you're supposed to take it out of your bag and run it through in a bin, like a laptop or tablet pc. They were fine with leaving it in a Timbuk2 sleeve though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dont eat a carb posted:

I noticed someone posting earlier asking about Kindle for the Web

Well, here it is:

http://steampunkkindle.com/Free-Samples/beneath-gray-skies.html

sorta. It's official, it's actually called "Kindle for the Web", but it's not quite what you're asking for. Yet.

Or there's this that launched today (Chrome/Safari only):

https://read.amazon.com/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Amazon has an announcement press conference scheduled for next Wednesday, hopefully that means tablets ahoy.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ghableska posted:

Does the new Kindle Touch still offer "experimental" web browsing over WiFi?

Here's the official word from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-f...#MxIT1OGTA35WG1

Basically, if you have a 3g model and want more than Wikipedia, hook that poo poo up to wifi.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ghableska posted:

Alright, I'm torn between the Kindle and Kindle Touch.

Touch owners, do you feel like the lack of page turn buttons is annoying or a detriment?
Does the screen get smudgy with fingerprints?
Is the x-ray feature useful enough to warrant the extra price (among other things)?

I've never owned an eReader before but I liked the idea of having a touch screen for entering words or very rudimentary web browsing. But if most of what I do on the reader is actual reading, am I going to regret not having conveniently located buttons?

Paul Thurrott was complaining about the power button on the Kindle touch, saying he accidently hit it while reading. Anyone else have that problem, or is it just his gorilla hands? He doesn't like it enough to return it, which is saying a lot considering how much he loves the kindle:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/mobile-computing-devices/amazon-kindle-touch-141348

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does the new non touch use the old slider power switch, or just a button?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Splizwarf posted:

A non-technical co-worker is trying to figure out the trials and tribulations of buying and owning a Kindle Fire. He does not currently have a home internet connection and is concerned that the Fire won't be any fun for his early-teens daughter (who he's buying it for) without internet access on Christmas Day; I don't know enough about it so I'm bothering you guys. He's against having a permanent internet connection on cost reasons; other than the Fire, he doesn't have a reason to use it at home (no PC or anything), and $50 a month plus Cox's $250 installation fee is rough, especially in the week before Christmas.

What's pre-installed? Is it a bundle of fun out of the box before taking it online to prospect for treasure (ie: will it be a happy Christmas morning)?

Also, what's the deal with Whispersynch on this one, Amazon mentions it but doesn't go into detail on the product page; does this Kindle have free 3G for book downloads and web browsing like the old ones or is it definitely wifi-only?

I've explained the "no parental controls on purchasing" problem and that he can get free wifi in a lot of places now, like McDonalds and Starbucks, for adding content to the device. What else does he need to know? All he knows about the device is what Amazon.com says on the Buy Me page.

No 3g, probably not going to be terribly fun without a wifi connection. Most of the preinstalled apps are really only useful with an internet connection.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wolrah posted:

I want an eReader mostly for loading with PDF documentation and technical whitepapers. The Kindle DX seemed to be the best answer when it came out due to the larger screen, but it looks like Amazon hasn't bothered to update them in a while and the pricing makes me think they really don't want to sell them at all.

Am I right in thinking I'd be an idiot for buying one now, and if so is there anything else worth looking at in the same class? Does the regular Kindle possibly not suck as badly as I expect it to with PDF content formatted for print?

No, it sucks on the smaller e-ink screens. There was a woot deal for the refurb DX earlier this week, but you're probably going to have a better experience on a tablet if you mainly want PDFs/technical docs.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lazyhound posted:

The Kindle 4, though I think they're all using the same screen anyway (apart from the DX).

Because it's perfectly legible as-is, and I'd rather not have to scroll the page (it is an option, though). The point I'm trying to make is that the blurb in the OP about PDF viewing being terrible is inaccurate or out-of-date.

I think it depends quite a bit on the book, I have some technical ebooks that don't fit very well on the screen, and either require you to view it at a zoom level that is unreadable, or to hop around 4-6 times a page.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lot 49 posted:

Everyone probably knows about these already but I've recently started using two small apps which make me love my kindle even more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000719931

Tiny windows app that adds a 'send to kindle' option when you right click files. I use it for documents I have written myself or books from project gutenberg.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ipkfnchcgalnafehpglfbommidgmalan

Chrome extension so you can send any webpage direct to kindle with one click. Great for long essays etc.

The great thing about "Send to Kindle" is that it allows you to set the Title and Author of the document you're sending, which otherwise I'm not aware of a way to set.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Just a heads up to everyone:

Amazon just sent out a facebook notice saying that they will be offering $10 gift cards for $5 on Special Offer Kindles. This offer will go out on Tuesday, March 20th.

I believe this will also be available via AmazonLocal as well, if you don't have a special offers kindle.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Arcsech posted:

I live in Seattle and the worst thing I've seen on the bus was some stereotypical hippy getting kicked off for rolling a joint. I know we have one of the best public transit systems in the country but what the gently caress, I had no idea everywhere else was such a shithole. At least a few people will always be on their phone, be playing music on their phone, or using an ereader or tablet, too.

I lived in Chicago for years and never saw it happen, so lots of YMMV.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CHUMPVILLE posted:

Wondering if I could get some Kindle advice - I just saw a base Kindle on sale at a local supermarket incredibly cheap and I'm wondering if I should buy it. I've used a model with touchscreen before which I thought was excellent - how does a touchscreen model compare to one without? How do you use search or browse the internet without the touch screen, is there an onscreen keyboard? Does it work well?

This is not a great time to buy a Kindle, Amazon is presumably launching new ones next week.

The non touch kindle does everything through a 5 way navigation pad (up/down/left/right/select), including typing on a virtual keyboard, and that's not necessarily great.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

How hard is it to put in some goddamn page turn buttons Amazon? :mad:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah, I am curious to see what comes of this, the fact that Amazon likely isn't going anywhere anytime soon is one of the things that makes me ok with e-books.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nihiliste posted:

Yep, at least these days. X-Ray and page sync are available in the iOS app, for instance.

This depends quite a bit on which platform you're talking about.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If you install the Windows 8 Nook App, there's a selection of free books/magazines to download. First 100,000 downloaders can get Life of Pi for free:

Full Book list is:

Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Blue Bloods - Melissa de la Cruz
The Enemy - Charlie Higson
The Best American Series 2012 (15 short stories and essays)
Hello, Cupcake! - Karen Tack & Alan Richardson

Magazines:

GQ - April 2013
HGTV Magazine - April 2013
Time - April 1, 2013
Food Network - April 2013
Real Simple - April 2013

quote:

To find and download the free NOOK Books and magazines, NOOK for Windows 8 users can simply scroll to the Popular Lists section in the app and find the “Welcome Offer” list. Customers will have to act fast to get their free copy of the modern classic, Life of Pi, which is only available to the first 100,000 customers who download the book on the NOOK app for Windows 8.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 28, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SB35 posted:

I wish these were on sale in the states, I'd love to pick one up for mother's day.

Best Buy had the glow light for $79.99 last week as a deal of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I still don't really get what Microsoft gets out of the Nook digital business purchase, unless they're looking to just roll it into the windows store and start selling books ala Google Play/iTunes.