Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GruntyThrst posted:

People who have owned a kindle for a while: is it worth it getting a screen protector? I've applied one but with such a large screen it is nigh impossible to remove all the bubbles and they are sort of distracting. If the screen is fairly durable and scratch resistant I might just remove it.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/amazon-kindle-3-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

Zagg Invisishields have been good on every device I've owned. Most malls have a booth, I'd let the guy working install it as they are usually pretty drat good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

maduin posted:

The guy at the front of Best Buy told me that they aren't told when they're getting more because they're delivered by Amazon and not their normal delivery people.

But since even Amazon says there is a 8-9 day wait online, I doubt any stores are having them shipped to them.

Sounds like bullshit to me, I used to work in Best Buy Inv and we knew when everything was "supposedly" coming in, like a week range of dates, even if it wasn't our own suppliers. We could also look up by SKU and see if anything was slated to ship to us for that.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Is there any way to tag your books in Calibre to add them to a certain collection in the Kindle?

I'm getting ready to dump a bunch of books on it and I want to put them in an "Unread" folder to kind of tuck them away for a bit and not clutter up the screen. It's ok if there isn't a fast/easy way to do it but my OCD demands that they be orderly and neat on the screen and I'd rather save myself the hassle.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Duckman2008 posted:

Maybe? The big hype this year at CES is tablets and 4G internet.

and apparently Pandora in deck units for car stereos.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Daric posted:

I just want to chime in again and say I am loving my Nook Color. I've read Midnight Tides and now I'm almost finished with The Bonehunters. I've had no eye strain or issues with the battery whatsoever.

My only real problem is that I have 5 or 6 other books on there that I want to read but I have to finish my current series first.

I'm a book behind you. loving love these books. I can't wait to finish so I can get in the Book Barn thread and read all the theories and find the poo poo I missed that people noticed and then start sperging on my own.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly Best Buy is usually pretty good about exchanging something like that, bring it back with receipt.

Even if you don't have the receipt if you have the card that you payed for it with they can look up the receipt for the transaction.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sporadic posted:

I was kicking around the idea of buying a new Kindle. Does anybody know of a good sleeve case for it? I'm looking for something cheap that can protect the screen and easily be removed when I'm using the Kindle. I saw a few on Amazon but they want $30 for them.

I bought the lighted leather case eventually but I carried mine around in one of those little non-descript orange shipping bags from the post office that are padded...worked great for just a sleeve to carry it in.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Has anyone else been having problems with Calibre converting HTML > MOBI and it shows a bunch of boxed question marks? I've tried all different kinds of methods to get it to work but I can't seem to figure out how to make them work right.. Any ideas?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

LooseChanj posted:

Ereaders are in a bit of a unique category though, you can drop a book 3-4' onto concrete and not need to replace it. You can also spill cups of coffee on them and mostly just cause cosmetic damage. I'm not saying the thing has to stand up to a nuclear blast, but people might expect a little more durability than what the kindle delivers. A lot of laptops are built to withstand abuse as a matter of course that would send a kindle to the scrap bin.

I dropped mine down two flights of stairs yesterday in the amazon lighted case....no dings and still works fine :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I have a kindle keyboard and I have to have a case on it to read it. Without the case it is to thing for prolonged reading and makes my hand cramp. When you add a case to the Kindle it gives it more of a "paperback book" feel in your hand because of the weight and bulk of it in my opinion.