Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

jassa posted:

Is there much in the way of options when it comes to modding/hacking Kindles to get them to do stuff they weren't originally designed to do? I'm one of those people who loves to mess about with stuff like that. :)
There's some stuff out there, one that may interest you is Mangle. Dunno how well that works though. I played around a bit with Kif an IF interpreter, doesn't work with everything though but I guess it's pretty cool.

There's a few other mods and hacks around, not really bothered with much apart from the screensaver hacks. There's a few things on the same forum as that Kif link in the Kindle Dev Corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

El Hefe posted:

how do you return Kindle books? does it only works if you buy them but never read them? because I just bought a couple and I went to my Manage Your Kindle page but there isn't a "return" option next to any of the books.
A couple of months ago I bought a book (QI Book of General Ignorance) and read half of it before I noticed that there was two Kindle editions of the same book, one was the 'stouter' edition which was updated and had a bit of extra content for almost the same price. I emailed Amazon saying I bought the pocket edition by mistake and they refunded me the price and I went ahead and bought the stouter edition.

This was 10 days after buying it, so just outside of their 7 days book returns for whatever reason thing they got going.

In summary, Amazon are pretty loving amazing.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Man I just spilled my drink over my Kindle 3. There's a small patch on the top left of the screen that's all hosed up. I've emailed Amazon, hope I can get it fixed or replaced. Maybe if I leave it for a while it'll dry out and be fine, right? :ohdear: :(

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

thedouche posted:

does it affect the actual text?
Yeah, about an inch of the top line of text and half an inch of the second line is covered up by the screwed up parts. Also, the corrupted bit on the screen remains there when I completely power the Kindle down. :(

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Amazon are sending me a new Kindle. :woop: I may have twisted the truth a little bit as I wasn't sure if the basic one year warranty covered spillages. Knowing my luck it doesn't and I'll get hit with a bill when they take the damaged Kindle apart and see all the lovely orange juice remains in the e-ink. :downs:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I wish deals like this were international. It's regular price on the UK Kindle store. :sigh:

Speaking of being screwed over for not being American, Amazon still haven't released any Active Content poo poo for the non American Kindle stores. Not that I really desperately want to play Scrabble or whatever on my Kindle, it just seems arbitrarily pointless. I know I can just change my Amazon address to a US one to get all this stuff, but why not just release it over here already? [/disgruntled Britisher]

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Whenever I'm browsing the Kindle store and find something I like and then see This price was set by the publisher I laugh, mentally tell the publisher to gently caress off and find something else to buy instead. gently caress agency pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The Kindle 3 WiFi I've had for over two years finally decided to die. :sigh: Last night while I was reading it switched itself off and would not start back up. I hard reset it (pulling back the power switch for 30 seconds) and after a few minutes it booted back up, finished reading for the night and went to sleep. This morning the thing had turned itself off again, hard reset again but it wouldn't power on, plugged it into the charged for a few hours and it finally rebooted. That lasted only a couple of hours though and now it's dead and won't turn on no matter what. The light doesn't even stay on when I plug it into the charger or my PC, comes on for a few seconds and then disappears. It was about 3/4 charged when it first died and earlier on when it came back to life for a few hours after charging the light was green, so I'm pretty sure the battery is fine.

It's out of warranty but I contacted Amazon support chat anyway to see if there's anything I could do (there wasn't) but I got offered some reduced refurbished Kindles. Can get an old 4th gen for 47 quid, touch for 68 or Paperwhite for 75 quid, all of which are about 20 quid cheaper than buying a refurbed model direct from Amazon, so that's pretty cool. Think I'll grab a Paperwhite next week. They also offered me a refurbished Kindle Fire/Fire HD for a bit cheaper than normal as well for whatever reason.

But before I fork out for a newish device I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about kicking some life back into my old Keyboard model? Or if anyone knows how I can access the data so I could back up my data?

Also I bought a new case for my K3 about three weeks ago, now it seems that's money wasted :argh: