Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

SuperCaptainJ posted:

nook 1.5 is out!

Wow. Page turns are literally twice as fast now. Customizable shelves and author sorting in my documents. Even the touchscreen seems more responsive.

:)

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

New nook firmware has better contrast as well.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-and-NOOKcolor-General/v1-5-Pics-Darker-Better-Contrast-Text/m-p/730589#U730589

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sweet, thanks for the manga thingamajig. It'll be nice to have Uzumaki around on my nooky-nook.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

thedouche posted:

I'd be happy with the percentage centered in the very bottom of the screen like a page number without the bar. Perhaps a decimal option.

Also: is there any way to tweak text size/line spacing ala Kindle on the Nook (my wife uses a e-ink Nook)?

This is my biggest complaint with the nook... line spacing, margins, and base font size are all unadjustable without tweaking the epub file itself. I end up having to strip the DRM off books I've bought because of annoying margins and whatnot.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

If anyone here is a Jose Saramago fan or have seen/read Blindness and want to dip into his other works, I just found out that there's a collection of all his novels going around for just under $20 in the Sony store and Amazon. It's a pretty drat amazing deal from one of the best contemporary authors. RIP Saramago :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I remember reading that the home screen in the Nook Color is only for items bought from their store.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Buy.com Wifi classic Nook for $90.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh man, just tried this method of using custom fonts on the nook. Requires a bit of fiddling with the epub's css file, but drat I love reading with New Century Schoolbook.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

epicstop posted:

What do you guys think about ePUB in general? I like it for short reads, but I prefer reader-specific formatting for clarity of text.

What does this even mean?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

fishmech posted:

Most libraries around here that rent out DVDs picked up stock from closing video rental places as donations.

I was wondering why my library's dvd selection seemingly quadrupled in the last year.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Just from playing around with the new Sony models in a now defunct Borders, the touchscreen interface is really great, and yeah that weird contrast issue with the previous generation is gone. The click a word to look up in dictionary is awesome as well, and I personally like the form factor where a large part of the bottom of the device isn't devoted to navigation or a keyboard.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Whee, finally got around to rooting my Nook classic. Take that, color rooters! Are there any essential apps? I haven't gotten around to doing much besides getting used to the awesome nookLibrary (hell yeah, combined B+N books and my documents, folder and tag browsing, and cover flow for all books!) and this reader hack. Haven't been able to get the custom font changes working, mostly using it for the ability to full-screen the text so it hides the upper status bar and the bottom page count.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah I've almost given up on my library's collection. Most of their books have 1 or 2 copies and waiting lists with 5-20 people. Not to mention the last recent books added to their collection's been only slightly above E-Harlequinn romance books.

edit: Just checked, they actually are E-Harlequinn. Seriously? 11 people waiting for this trash?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Doc Faustus posted:

Can you link to the method you used to root yours? Apparently the easy softroot method doesn't work on new hardware :(

There's a couple of different ways to do it on post 1003 serial number nooks, but this is the one that worked for me.

http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_1.5_on_any_hardware

You need a WAP to connect to, and you need to have ADB up and running (I used this ADB over USB guide, just follow steps 1-9 and skip step 2). I should warn you it took me an hour and a half and a lot of frustration before the root went through, I messed it up a couple of times. It's smooth sailing up to Getting Root Access, your nook becomes very unstable after that, and if you get lucky and get a wireless ADB connection at that point you need to push init.rc in 1-2 seconds or you've lost your window. Once that's done though, after you reboot you won't need to do the browser crash to ADB connect and you're good to install nook apps from there.

But it's a lot less hassle than downgrading to 1.4 and loving around with your router, at least in my opinion.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 1, 2011

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

dopaMEAN posted:

I'd like to see that!

My fiance is in library school right now, and we talk about this kind of thing a lot.
I think it would make sense for publishers to charge less for ebooks. The book I'm reading right now is $9 as a nook book, and $9 as a physical book. I know that their costs are almost nonexistant for the nook book, so it's silly for them to expect me to pay that much.

Once pricing is in line with what people feel is fair, I imagine pirating will become less of an issue. They just need to find the price point where effort of pirating and associated guilt > cost of an ebook.

I really like the $10 price point for most books. It's when the e-book edition is more expensive than the paperback that I think is complete bullshit.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

New Yorker on the Nook classic, also very well formatted. Pretty easy to navigate but I mostly read it like a book.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Possible new e-ink Nook to come out. God I really hope it's a full touchscreen like the Sony readers but at a reasonable price point.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Devi posted:

I'm pretty sure you can download the Nook app for the PC and download books to your PC to get at them like you would for Kindle books on the PC.

You don't even need the app, you can download it directly from your account on bn.com

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That thing looks slick. The PDF zoom and navigate looks awesome.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, everyone I've shown my nook to kept trying to use the e-ink screen to navigate even after showing them how to use the LCD screen. Personally I just like the form factor of not having any buttons or the nook classic lcd. Waiting to see tomorrow's B+N announcement to see which reader I'm going to replace my nook with.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wonder what the chances are of there being options to override css margins, line height, etc :/ I'll still probably pick one up, the battery life and screen are worth it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Durr, apparently the new nook doesn't have a web browser. Which sucks, considering how much better browsing would be on its screen.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah I got a chance to play with it at my local B+N today, it's amazingly responsive. More options for text sizes, 6 different fonts and line spacing too.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jeez, lots of touchscreen rage going on. Can't everyone be happy that there's a bunch of awesome e-ink devices out there that complements their preference? Nobody's forcing anyone to switch to a form factor they don't like...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Highlighting, adding notes, one touch dictionary presses, footnote navigation, (in the case of the Kobo) positioning and resizing PDFs, easy navigation and organizing books into shelves...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Here's 1.4 and 1.5 side by side on the first gen Nook.

The text looks darker because they basically applied edge enhancement on the font rendering leading to slightly jaggier fonts.

The background of the screen was also made slightly darker (possibly to allow faster page changes.)

So, there's a tradeoff.

The 1.5 update looked really great with the default fonts, Amasis and Helvetica, but really bad for classic serif fonts with contrasty stroke variation so I'm guessing they didn't include the bolder rendering with the touch reader because there's more font options.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Quantify! posted:

Then again, once you buy your Nook, there's really no reason to go BACK to a Barnes and Noble. If BN was smart they'd get out of the brick and mortar business now while there's still time.

I use the read in store fairly often before deciding to buy the book. Also, lovely Starbucks coffee!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Kindle's your best bet with buttons.

In other news, finally got me a Nook Touch. Aside from the less than stellar font rendering (text aliasing seems to get pretty jagged until a full refresh), it's such a nice upgrade from my classic Nook. Getting rid of that color touchscreen was the best design change, and everything just feels right. It's no longer a hurdle to scroll through the chapter listings like it used to be, swipe/edge touch/buttons for turning pages depending on your preference, touch a word for a definition, and the customizable line height and margin options really stand out to me on the first day of use. My only other complaint is that fonts embedded in epubs can't be changed by the font selection in the options, it seems to be hardlocked in.

Leaning towards this cover unless y'all have something else recommended. The mounting system looks way nicer than the B/N corner locks. http://www.medgestore.com/products/nook3-go.psp

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 2, 2011

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sign up for a free account in http://isbndb.com/ and use the book ISBN in Calibre to fetch data from that site. Most books usually have the flap or back cover description set.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Has anybody tried viewing comics on a Nook Touch by converting cbz/r to epub with calibre? Are there any problems with it?

I tried this with a manga I had floating around on my nook classic a while ago. The proportions aren't quite right so people's faces will look more squished. Text is readable if a little small, and black and white manga art displays really well on the screeen. Assuming it's the same on the touch, just more contrast.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Glad to see Amazon's catching up to B+N's devices, competition is always a good thing. I really hope with the release of the tablet, Amazon's instant video gets a better selection from what it had when I gave Prime a try, I'm getting really sick of Netflix's practices. Anyway does anyone thing there's actually too many options for Kindles now? I think if I was just getting ready to make the entry into the e-reader world, without a frame of reference I wouldn't know whether to get the keyboard, touch, 3g or no 3g, or the tablet. I like how B+N keeps it simple; color or no color.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

^^ Sony has a new 6" reader that's probably gonna replace the pocket and touch editions if you want to update that section.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...384231#features

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It looks like a minor upgrade. Seems to be thinner and lighter than the previous models, aside from that some new software features (the direct library borrow looks pretty nice).

But mostly I think it's purpose is to consolidate the 5" and 6" readers at a price point that's more competitive than B+N/Amazon's offerings.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rastor posted:

Barnes & Noble dropped the price of refurbished Nook Simple Touch / Nook Color to $79 / $149

http://stores.ebay.com/Barnes-and-Noble-Store

Sweet, gonna grab a few for some christmas presents this year.

Anyone else have a rooted nook touch? Just tried it again today with the marketplace fix and it's running great. Trying out FBreader and Coolreader, CR has some really nice text formatting options. Lots of built in fonts, anti aliasing, font kerning, and a screen refresh update similar to the nook's built in reader, but customizable for a full screen refresh every page or in between a set amount of partial refresh page turns.

edit: all the fonts are actually the ones built into the nook along with a few hidden unused ones it seems, CR just scanned the hard drive for font files it seems. Anyway they actually look better on the app than the default reader software.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 19, 2011

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Anyone installed the new nook STR 1.1 update? How's the font rendering and page turns? I'm dubious whether to go back to stock firmware after rooting.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Figured out how to use custom fonts in a non-rooted Nook STR without embedding into the epub, though it does require a one-time conversion of the files to add to the css. Follow the installation instructions for this Calibre plug-in

http://phanquochuy.me/?p=114

Customize the plugin in the Preferences (search for font config if you can't find it). Set Font Source to Use External Font. Change Font Extension to .otf or .ttf depending on what font you're choosing. Change external Font Path to

media/my fonts/

I'd suggest changing the font name to Default or something easy to remember. Test an epub conversion, if you want to double check to make sure the plug-in works, select Tweak ePub from the context menu and explode it. View the CSS in notepad or something and it should have font-family: "Default" appended to most of the styles. Move the epub over to your Nook.

Make a new folder in the Nook drive called my fonts and place the fonts inside. They should follow this naming scheme

Italic font: <font name>-Italic.ttf (e.g. Default-Italic.ttf)
Bold font: <font name>-Bold.ttf (e.g. Default-Bold.ttf)
Regular font: <font name>-Regular.ttf (e.g. Default-Regular.ttf)
BoldItalic font: <font name>-BoldItalic.ttf (e.g. Default-BoldItalic.ttf)

Eject the Nook, load it up and check to make sure it works. If it doesn't work, the font will default back to Malabar and you won't be able to change it in the Nook's text options, make sure all the plugin's settings are right and the fonts are named correctly.

I've settled on using Minion Pro, it renders beautifully. Played around with ITC Stone Serif and Adobe Garamond, both also work pretty nicely.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 17, 2011

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

M-Edge has some very nice Nook Touch covers that work with their light attachment as well. Their mounting system locks all 4 corners instead of that top and bottom plastic snap. The covers all fit very snugly with the Nook, and the open-sided edges are rounded, the sharp square edges really bugged me on the B+N covers.

http://www.medgestore.com/products/nook3/

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm pretty sure that Nook page numbers are set by either word or character count.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That's hilarious. I actually just picked up War and Peace for the nook, I wonder if it's the same copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

Hey, folks, the battery in my first-gen Nook just gave up the ghost, and I'm having trouble looking for a replacement. eBay has been no help, and Amazon doesn't have anything that seems to reliably match the part number (BNRB454261). Are there other options for a replacement?

I think this seems to be it? http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-BNRB1530-BNRZ1000-9BS11GTFF10B3-Portable/dp/B005NJB1QK