Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have a question that isn't so much about eReader hardware as it is DRM and reader software:

What are the options for Linux people? I bought a Kindle book that I wanted to read, but it turns out that Kindle For PC was broken under WINE in an update. I just checked Nook and see they don't have a Linux client, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess my question is, "is there any way to read a commercially bought eBook with Linux?" Both Amazon's and B&N's reader apps are a no-go on WINE, and from looking at Adobe's site it appears they haven't ported their reader software at all yet.

It looks like there's no encryption at all that can be read in Linux.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Since I talked up a storm about Kindle on Linux earlier, I thought I'd helpfully update that the Windows app works with the unstable branch of WINE.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have a book in no-DRM PDF, except every chapter of the book is a separate PDF.

Adding the files one by one causes Calibre to treat them as different books. I thought if I created an empty book and then threw the PDF's in it's folder it might snap to and add them, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thanks for that, but I have too many files.

Found a little Linux app called PDF Shuffler that will do it all. Still not used to having a big searchable repository of freeware, I guess.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, how usable is a Nook Colour out of the box? My Mom will want to use an eBay app and at minimum check her email. It'd be nice if she could use the full featured XFINITY app because she has Comcast VoIP and can never remember how to check her voice mail.

I'm thinking for Mom's limited uses, the dual core power of an iPad 2 just isn't worth twice the price.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Should I go for a B&W Nook or this new iRiver that has Google's eBookstore integrated?

I used a Nook the other day and I think it's a better piece of hardware, I just have trouble seeing it survive because it's walking an unsteady line of trying to support a brick & mortar chain and shutting down the need for physical bookstores at the same time, like an RIAA-approved MP3 player. But the buttons on that iRiver are just so 1987 tape deck player...

Still, that's what the Nook's EPUB support is for, I guess.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Splizwarf posted:

How did you buy them from Borders? Is Borders still a company in Oz?

Online only.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just dropping by to ask, is there a better manager app than Calibre yet? It looks so 1995, seems bloated in size, can't handle it's own updates, etc.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
More than anything I guess I find it weird that it's a program that I have to install on my SSD. Both because the wait on the splash screen is surprisingly noticeable on a mechanical drive, but also the installer didn't ask me where I want it. Being an open-source non-Windows native program, I can probably move that folder with few problems though.

At this point, I'm just using it for Windows in a pinch, and otherwise sticking to OSX iBooks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So what store do you guys (Americans) buy books from? Is it all Amazon, all the time around these parts?

Between their ability to revoke books and use their own proprietary DRM, I bought a Nook Simple Touch years ago and continue to buy from either B&N or Google Play whenever I can. Now I haven't turned the Simple Touch on in a year, use a tablet, and most of my books are in the Google Cloud and downloaded on demand to a device.

Should I just give in to Amazon already? Do they still have any pricing advantages or did Apple and Hachette whittle that away?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nintendo Kid posted:

Every other store with an associated app/device is able to revoke books too though? You also have to remember that in case of a book getting revoked you have a full refund.

Amazon has the ability to send a delete command to the device that wipes files from local storage. They did this when they pulled a number of classics (ironically, Orwell) that they later saw they didn't have the rights to. Jeff Bezos apologized and called it stupid under media pressure, but the tech is there.

The other devices don't have that ability. They can revoke your ability to download more copies if you delete one to free storage, but they can't send commands to remotely destroy files in local storage.

I guess my question is if Kindle has changed its very top-down cloud driven controls. You couldn't even side load books without sending them to an email address or otherwise processing them through the Amazon cloud, which means if you're a book pirate you're uploading your pirated books to the nation's biggest book store. If that sounds paranoid, well, some people didn't want to give their MP3 collection to iTunes Match initially, either. I'm just generally looking for opinions.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 10, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, after being sold on it by this thread, I'm trying to convert everything I have to the Amazon ecosystem. EPUB files I can convert to MOBI in Calibre and use Send To Kindle, but what about already Kindle-native AZW3 files? Should they be converted or is there some way they can be uploaded as-is?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't actually have a real Kindle, I have a tablet and am considering moving all my books from the Google Play Books cloud to the Amazon cloud for two reasons:

1) Lots of smaller authors (including friends who self-publish) will put their books on Amazon and Nook, but never on Google Play, probably because they're almost all Apple-heads who never buy any Android devices and forget that store exists. This means I have to keep buying their books from B&N and then uploading it to the Google cloud. This is a hassle.

2) I'm experimenting in being less dependent on Google in general.

I've actually spent the last year or so just uploading EPUBs to Google and then deleting them locally, since Calibre is a case example of big and clunky and outdated approach to open source development. So now I'm having to re-download them with Google Takeout, and begin converting stuff.

EDIT: Oh for crying out loud, the Amazon cloud is device specific? So if I replace my tablet, I have to reupload all of this again?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 6, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tiggum posted:

Nope. When you email a document it goes to a specific device, but if you have it set to save to your Amazon account you can then download it onto any of your devices.

What the.. gently caress? :psyduck: This sound like a setting hiding somewhere on the Amazon web site that I haven't found.

I presently only have Cloud Reader and the Kindle app for OSX registered, and the Send To Kindle app started freaking out because there wasn't a device to send it to. I de-registered everything else since it was about 8 generic Android devices which was just me flashing my old hardware over and over.

If I have to have a device registered, I guess I can install Kindle on my phone.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So I just had to have any mobile device activated and suddenly this Send To Kindle right-click thing for Windows works and PDFs are appearing on my tablet. Thanks, everyone.

EDIT: Hmm, for some reason my PDFs show up immediately but my MOBI files do not.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Hours later, nothing doing; so I sent a book that wasn't part of that batch by email to see if maybe that would speed it up.

I got back a rejection email. This is weird; it's a MOBI file that was converted by Calibre from an EPUB.

EDIT: Fixed. Have to specify old-type MOBI in Calibre.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 7, 2015