Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Anybody have experience with foot notes (end notes?) in a kindle? I want to give Infinite Jest a shot, but it sure does have a lot little numbers in superscript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

FidgetyRat posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do other people think about a *fair* price for eBooks. I have a hard time buying them when over $5.

In my opinion, as long as the e-book is less than or equal to the paperback version, that's fine. Actual ink and paper is a lot cheaper than you'd expect. Most of the price of a book is other stuff, so knocking everything down to $5-10 really puts the squeeze on publishers, especially small publishers. I know there's some talk about the end of publishers, but we aren't ready for that yet.

On the other hand, when you see poo poo like this: http://www.amazon.com/We-New-Edition-ebook/dp/B002CIY8QA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1294611397&sr=1-3 It makes no loving sense.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

fishmech posted:

Ink and paper is cheap, having to shell out for an initial print run of at least a few thousand books that may or may not get sold is not.

That's true, but I think that we can call that initial run part of the cost of making the book for now. Nobody's seriously going 100% digital, so I think the people who read e-books, in the short run and especially with small publishers, need to get used to paying a part of the ink and paper runs. The cost of a book already includes trying to pay for the losses on all the other books the company has published. I don't think the idea is that far out there.

But, to clarify, I'm ok with the cost of e-book being the same or slightly less than the cheapest equivalent edition in print. When the paperback comes out, the e-book prices should fall (I'm looking at you HarperCollins.)

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

maxnmona posted:

The publishing companies have the one chance that the music and movie industries never had, which is to create a legal marketplace before the medium has caught on. And instead they're loving it up.

Oh well, it's nice to know that they're going to be out of business in 10-20 years.

Speaking of loving up the legal market place - has anyone noticed that many Amazon e-books have some to many typographical errors.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

anothertenbux posted:

What's the best option for editing .mobi and .pdf files?

Specifically I want to go through them and get rid of the author/title/page numbers that are added to PDFs as headers/footers and don't get removed when the .pdf is converted to .mobi or when the .pdf is reflowed by my Kindle. They end up scattered randomly throughout the page and it's very annoying.

I've tried Sigil and Adobe Acrobat but can't get either to find & replace those bits.

You could use Mobipocket creator to convert it to HTML and then edit it with your HTML editor of choice.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Sporadic posted:

The new Kindle is loving stupid.

Kindle with Wi-Fi includes Special Offers - $114.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFS6Z0/ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004HFS6Z0

Maybe it is just me but I don't think getting $25 off is worth having ads all over the place.

And now we know why they don't want us changing screen savers.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

fishmech posted:

The Kindle versions all appear to be cheaper than the print list price, Amazon is well known for discounting physical books, but the price stamped on the book itself is what it is. Try going to a brick and mortar store and seeing what the prices actually are, they're probably not all 30-60% off like they are on Amazon!

Comparing Kindle price to Amazon hardback/paperback price is the only way to make a sensible comparison.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

maduin posted:

As I said before, of course it's possible to cite from a Kindle, but there's also no guarantee the Kindle version has any of this information or that it's easy to find said version for someone working with your paper. Listing this in your works cited page makes for a lot more work for whoever is looking at and trying to find your sources than listing this.

This may be tangential to the discussion, but you also have to remember that a lot of professors can barely check their loving email. They don't want to have to source various Kindle editions when the only easily accessible versions they have are analog copies.

You can argue semantics if you want, but this has all the credibility in the world, yet if you wanted to cite "America" in any significant piece of research you'd need to find an actual copy of it.

The other problem with citing a Kindle edition is that the Kindle edition can be changed at anytime.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Well he said he uses it all the time.

3G was nice when I would go to the beach. I imagine that it would also comes in handy if you ride any type of public transportation or don't have a home network or a phone or if you don't want to be relevant on something else for internet access.

I like it for when someone mentions a book that sounds interesting. I can go and download the sample IMMEDIATELY. (I now have >100 samples I have yet to read.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Personally, I'm of the opinion that when you can get a 1A charger like that from a Palm Pre or whatever, that will work with most other devices besides iPhones for a couple bucks already, why risk the no-name crap in the first place?

My Amazon Kindle charger is .85 amps.