Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Maneki Neko posted:

I've used Google Reader on my kindle 3 fairly succesfully, was there somnething in particular you didn't like?

I do generally like it better in "full screen" mode as described here, but seems pretty decent in general:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/simple-tip-turns-kindle-into-ultimate-news-reader/

The problem with this is that the browser doesn't support multiple windows or tabs so if the feed makes you visit the site for the full article, you're SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Mathlete posted:

A recent article in the Wall Street Journal announces the imminent launch of a Google E-Book store called Google Editions:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704369304575632602305759466.html?mod=djemalertTECH#articleTabs%3Darticle

I hope that there will be a way to download files of the books purchased from Google Editions to a device that can't connect to the internet. But even if the ebooks are confined to the cloud I think I would still use this service on my laptop over the Nook and Kindle software. This sounds very lucrative for Google and very convenient for readers who want access to hard-to-find books.

Wonder if it'll work well in the Kindle browser.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

big mean giraffe posted:

Probably works in the Kindle's browser at least. Anyone with a K3 wanna test?

Actually, not that bad. You can leave the cursor on the right side and just hit the dpad's button for the next page. The next page come up almost instantly over 3G.

Biggest problem is that not much of the screen is devoted to text.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

thedouche posted:

I've got my kindle set to a fairly small font therefore I assume more than one page per e-page. When I eventually come upon a book with page number support, will it tell me which pages I'm on?

I've gotten so used to the percent system. I was even thinking the other night when I was finishing the second Felix Castor novel, that the last 15% was so fricking exciting.

Just tested it on mine. I set the font to the smallest. Only one page number is shown, but it increments by 2 when I turn the page.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

bull3964 posted:

I think we can probably thank the iPad for the Random House pricing. Since they have to give the house of Steve 30% of the purchase price and they aren't allowed to sell them for any cheaper on any other store per the App Store rules, the price goes up and everyone gets hosed.

Thanks Apple!

Isn't Amazon also a 70-30 split?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

boo_radley posted:

Maybe? The kindle uses .mobi formatted files, and there's plenty of converters around. Whether or not they deal correctly with the formatting and images is a bit of a gamble, though.

Couldn't he use the Android Kindle app to read it?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So does this new Kindle update mean that Project Gutenberg books I send to XXX@free.kindle.com gets back up to the cloud/Whispersync?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Sporadic posted:

Crossposting the announcement from Coupons

Amazing news but I wish that it work on all Kindle apps not just the devices. I would love to take advantage of this on my netbook (have to admit it is tempting me to get a $79 model)

Also it does work with Student accounts, so that's cool.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Drunk Tomato posted:

That's the info I wanted to know. Woo-hoo!

For more details, I'm the $40 renewal plan, not the free year. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Also, the link isn't appearing in the Store on my Kindle 3 3G. If I search for the book, though, it has the "Prime" logo on it and I can borrow it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

El Duke posted:

If the Kindle isn't doing anything else in the background (like someone mentioned, no wireless on, no indexing) there's really no difference in sleep v. off. eInk only uses power when changing the display, so it shouldn't be draining much if any battery in sleep.

It's doing WhisperSync calls while it's sleeping though, so turn off wireless to get a big boost in standby time.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So I left my Kindle Keyboard 3G with the lighted case on the train. Whoever got it removed it from my account, so I doubt it'll wind up in the lost and found. I called Amazon to get it black listed, so joke's on them, I guess.

Should I just get another Kindle and case or a Nexus 7. I'm a Prime subscriber so I guess I'd miss out on the lending library, but the prices come out to about the same if I replace the case, too. I'm not to hot on the new Kindle design, but I'd feel silly buying the older model for the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

LmaoTheKid posted:

Maybe wait a little bit and see what the new glowy one looks like?

When's that supposed to happen?