Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
loving hell, every day it's another e-mail from another professor for another article recommendation sent to me in PDF and every day it's another day schlepping around the netbook and getting out the necessary books to cross-reference this bull poo poo and that.

I cannot wait till my goddamn kindle arrives. I'm placing bets right now, it's going to be a required buy for grad students in literature at the very least if not all grad students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Duckman2008 posted:

Ironic from my rant above, but the Kindle has been experimented in using with college/scholarly pursuits and got mixed reviews. Personally I think it would be mostly decent, but in terms of studies I could see how an iPad would be the required buy. Plus Angry Birds in class is always a good idea.

Probably. a Tablet or e-reader of some sort will definitely make life infinitely easier for students. It's already pretty bad that I've got to pack a backpack and a messenger bag once or twice a week. Can't wait till I just need that kindle.

edit: I can really only speak for literature studies, but very frequently we're required to have a ton of books on hand in order to facilitate discussions or conferences, or even if we're doing the research it's a lot easier to have the primary source on hand. schlepping around a bag full of books is no fun at all.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 27, 2010

Guilty
May 3, 2003

cybrancyborg posted:

Okay so if I use calibre to convert pdfs, what relatively small ereader that's <150$? The Kindle wifi? Sony pocket reader? Expandable storage sounds nice but I don't know if I need it.

You've spent about a week asking a question that could easily be answered in the OP

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Daric posted:

Is someone really going to ask about PDF support every other post?

That's what I was kind of wondering. You'd think people would read the last 2 or 3 pages if not the OP

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Does anyone have a recommendation on how to make .doc files into .pdf?

vvv oh sweet, thanks!

Guilty fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 17, 2010

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I have kind of a frustrating problem. Certain books originally in epub format show up on my kindle with a big bar of space on the left hand side. Is there anyway to fix that? The text isn't fitting to the page, it looks like there's a huge left hand margin. I'd say 1/4th of the screen is that margin

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I know I sound like a huge baby but I really wish Calibre would figure out an auto-update system if they're going to update their stupid loving program every week

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Well if it helps, I think most people put 10 bucks as the breaking point between too expensive, and cheap enough to buy. I certainly do. 5 bucks is my 'buy without thinking' price. 10 is my 'do I really want/have the time/need this?' price for each paperback in general. I can sometimes get away with impulse buying 10

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Welp, if anyone cares, the web browser on the 3G of the kindle 3 doesn't work in Germany and I assume most of Europe if you have an American version. I can still use the amazon store fine.

Also, gave a 2 hour presentation on intertextuality using T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land as a source and did it using the Kindle. My God is this thing loving awesome....

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Can you even buy manga on an online book store? legally?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
you have over 33,000 masterpieces of human endeavor over thousands of years of mankind's existence free and at your fingertips for wherever you are in the world and yet you spend your time specifically coding for japanese manga.

I will never understand this next generation

Guilty
May 3, 2003

fishmech posted:

It's not like it'd be any less nerdy if it was American comic books.

It's comic books, period. The one medium designed to be light weight and easily carried and widely available. There's a reason why it comes out in issues

Guilty
May 3, 2003
We probably should stop with that kindle manga bullshit not only because is it loving stupid, but you're also pretty much committing :filez: since those series, Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, etc. are all licensed and those websites don't really have them up there legally.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Vertigus posted:

Believe it or not the mods don't usually ban people for talking about programs used for pirating. They can correct me if I'm wrong, but talking about a program used to manage mangas is not treated the same as distributing or posting links to pirated mangas.

Sure, the primary use is primarily for pirated books, just like PS3 backup managers are primarily used for pirating games. Since either one can conceivably be used for legitimate content, it's ok to talk about them.

I don't understand why you're fighting so hard to keep your 'artsy' children's books discussion, but his program seems to actively go on a site, and rip licensed series in order to put it on your kindle.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Because it's for a goddamn e-reader. This is inspect your gadgets, not the loving book barn. Get off your high horse long enough to read this quote:

Torrents and other P2P system discussions aren't allowed even though it's possible to use it for legal content. It doesn't change the fact that all people have used it so far is for stealing licensed poo poo. The instructions in the posts so far are for stealing the top 3 most popular licensed series. Not to mention if you look on those sites it's mostly licensed series that you can buy in stores.

Maybe if there was an actual manga e-book that you needed to upload or could actually buy, it would be pretty fine, ok. But the program basically just goes on a site, clicks save as a bunch of times, and arranges it for your ebook. Seems really sketchy to me since most of those sites don't even have the rights to those series anyways.

Whatever, if the mods haven't said anything by now, they probably think it's ok. Just realize you're walking a fine line.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Does anyone have any recommendations for a Shakespeare collection for the kindle that includes line numbers? I know it might be kind of hard for that format to show up on the kindle, but if anyone could find one it would help me out immensely.

Preferably a complete collection rather than individual plays, I find myself having to do a lot of intertextual stuff.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

withak posted:

Wouldn't line numbers depend on the font and screen size?

Well, within academia it's not supposed to, since they're all supposed to be based on his original Folio prints. There are several publishers using several editions and the line numbers are pretty uniform throughout, in print editions.

But I've perused about 7 samples of kindle editions and they all don't have numbers so I'm thinking they just got lazy with these.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I would be ok with that weird coding. It's just that it would make my life infinitely easier when I do my citations. I'll probably try one of your suggestions until someone comes up with a better solution. Thanks!

Guilty
May 3, 2003

fishmech posted:

I'm pretty sure that since reading on some form of computer-run screen has existed since 1968 or so, it'll not go away. Real paper book editions of the same book do not have the same page numbers at all times as other copies, it's silly to expect ebooks to as well, especially because then you have to decided which paper copy has the "real numbers"

In any case, it's not the ereader's job to insert line numbers if whoever published the book didn't. And honestly, having the software attempt to figure out the correct line numbering would probably generate line numbering inconsistent with the standard for Shakespeare. Seeing as Shakespeare is fully public domain, why not self-publish on the Kindle Store a version with the line numbers? You can do that, you know.

I'm not asking for the e-reader to do that though. I'm asking if anyone knows a publisher who did do that in any manageable way, because it would be amazingly loving useful to me, especially since a lot of my work cross-references several shakespearean plays and it's nice not having to drag along paper copies and then i'll forget which ones I need, etc.

No one knows of a publisher who has made one?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Also, for extended reading periods, black on grey is a lot easier on the eyes than black on pure white. Even half the paper novels these days don't use pure white.

And I would go absolutely loving nuts if I had to charge my e-reader every day or two. Yes, I do use it that much. Thank god for the kindle's battery life.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Shnooks posted:

Have any of you had to quote/cite a book on your kindle? I have a book I had to read for class that I got on my Kindle for free, but there's no page numbers still, even though I upgraded. Do I put location or something? Explain to my professor I have it on my Kindle?

My professors have forbidden me to cite from the e-book due to the unreliability of the book. I can understand them, seeing as to how if I really wanted to I could go into Sigil and change it. I just go to the library and look up exactly what I need and use that.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

great, I'm living in loving germany and can't get it. Is there anyway I can just circumvent the whole location thing and get it?

Guilty fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 5, 2011

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Awesome, how fun, playing devil's advocate against a beneficial social institution. Can we do hospitals next?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Usually the pricing they're talking about, i.e. $9.99 is on new releases, right? I'm just a little confused because I bought Rushdie's latest novel (2008) on my kindle for 7.45

Guilty
May 3, 2003

I live in Germany. My Kindle is set to the German store, but that ss is from amazon.com

Guilty
May 3, 2003
If you have a pocket an ereader can fit in, you need to get clothes that fit

Edit: i don't know if the paperwhite version of kindle does this, but i do know that the fire imitates the clicky side buttins. Just tap the edge of the screen on the right to go forward, left to go back.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 5, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Hipster trap sprung.

Fascinating, the People of Walmart are developing more elaborate hunting methods...

Guilty
May 3, 2003
So it seems that Sentinel 3 is on sale for a buck. Worth it?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Does the Kindle app do everything the Kindle fire does in terms of reading features?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ah, I was thinking about getting a nexus instead of a fire

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Got a new paperwhite, fired up Calibre. I see they're still doing a loving update every loving week. How is this poo poo still loving going on? This is seriously the most annoying lovely feature of the program, makes me want to stop using it entirely.

vvv: I hate the pop up notice

Guilty fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 21, 2013

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I tried to use my paperwhite today while it was plugged into the wall and charging, and it seemed to spazz out on me. Instead of flipping the page forward or backwards, it would bring up the font size menu and change the font bigger or larger, but it wouldn't load the whole menu, and then if I FINALLY got rid of the menu, it would auto-flip rather quickly through pages. After I unplugged it, it seemed to work like normal.

Did I get a defective kindle?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Selklubber posted:

I've never used a kindle with buttons, but I wish my paperwhite had voice controls. If I'm comfy reading I don't want to move my hands every minute to flip the page!

That's pretty much the primary reason why I never read paper books in the first place, moving the page from one end to the other was too much work

Guilty
May 3, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any indication of an updated Nexus 7 with higher DPI and Tegra 4 this summer?

Supposed to be an announcement in mid June

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

What about at I/O next week?

Oh yeah that. I keep getting the date mixed up with the Haswell processor news, since those two are the things I'm most looking forward to

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Edit: misunderstood, the new paperwhite isn't out yet

Guilty fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 17, 2013

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Has anyone tried the new paperwhite yet? Assuming I've got money to blow, is it worth the upgrade from the old paperwhite?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Just dropping by to ask, is there a better manager app than Calibre yet? It looks so 1995, seems bloated in size, can't handle it's own updates, etc.
I have no idea, I just want to chime and whine about how bitchy they are on their facebook webpage if you complain about any of these problems. the developers are living in a serious echo chamber

Guilty
May 3, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

Or maybe it's a hobby for them and they're tired of hearing about it, and don't feel like spending hundreds of hours on something that isn't a serious issue?

'hundreds of hours'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Pierson posted:

I need a new reader and I'm almost certain I'm going to get a Kindle Paperwhite but one question: I know Calibre can convert non-Kindle formats to Kindle-ready files but how good is it at doing so? Is it basically "yeah you can convert your html/epub/whatever perfectly' or 'take your chances and the results can look anywhere from perfect formatting to awful formatting you can barely read'?

Also how good is it response-wise? Obviously it's never gonna be as fast as an LCD but I had a Kobo Glo and that thing liked to be unresponsive, crash, and mainly just 'hang up' and refuse to turn pages A LOT. It got so bad I just got rid of the drat thing in the end.

It's really good at converting, takes a few seconds. Only downside is (maybe they changed it, haven't used it in awhile) that for some dumb loving reason it needs to update every day. Conversion is pretty good, sometimes there are formatting issues, but 80% of the time it works fine.

Response wise, there's a noticeable pause in the paperwhite, but it all depends on how pedantic you are. I like the kindle app on tablet better, which is instantaneous, but I've been using kindles for awhile so the noticeable pause isn't that noticeable to me. I've never had my paperwhite crash or hang up, and I was a first adopter.