Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Suntory BOSS posted:

I just asked my mom for a Kindle for Christmas, but I don't have wi-fi... am I going to have to mooch off my neighbor's network whenever I want to download a book, or can I just plug the Kindle into my laptop and download directly through USB?

Also, not having to wait 1-2 weeks for a book (living overseas) means instant gratification is finally possible...am I correct in assuming this is going to result in a massive book purchase increase?

Have her also send you a wireless router, they cost 20 whole dollars, and then you can use all sorts of devices with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like I'm probably buying a Nook Color in the near future, then. I don't give a drat about ebooks in color, but I've wanted a cheap Android tablet for a while. :)

It's not really a good Android tablet at all, so don't. There are better options. Like this:
http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/specs.html?country=us&lang=en

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Some people don't care about LCD screens, and if so a tablet would be ok too. I've tried reading books on my Evo and it just isn't enjoyable for me.

eBooks are great on an AMOLED screen with white text on black background. Plus it uses very little battery life. I still dislike reading on such a small screen, even with the text size jacked up.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Probably works in the Kindle's browser at least. Anyone with a K3 wanna test?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Far from scientific, and the article is from August, but here it is anyway.

http://thenextweb.com/media/2010/08/22/kindle-outselling-ibooks-60-to-1/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

and they went to microusb instead of keeping it mini.

Nothing uses mini-USB anymore, it's old tech and inferior.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Everything you buy from here on out will probably use microUSB for at least a few years though, every smartphone (minus iPhone) I've seen uses it now, along with most digital cameras and mp3 players, etc.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Every Android device in existence doesn't have access to the full market though.

Other than Verizon-exclusive apps, there's nothing I am blocked from downloading.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Telex posted:

Seems like with the eventual VLC for Android that's going to happen sooner or later I should be able to watch TV/movies on it too

Good news, you already can, as long as you find a way to get the rockplayer apk or use handbrake to convert to an Android-friendly format.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

t_bright posted:

I swear I've tried google but all I get is links to websites like project gutenberg and feedbooks.

I just want decent novels

:negative:

Get a job, then you can buy stuff instead of posting about piracy on SA, which will usually get you banned.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
They work well on the Android app in Terry Pratchett books. He has a lot too.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

My girlfriend has a kindle and would like to be able to read her books on my nook color

:psyduck:

I don't think you can use multiple accounts at once, but you could always wipe the app data (no idea what is and isn't possible in Nookdroid land) or uninstall/reinstall the app.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I assume tge :psyduck: is in reference to kindle books on a nook? If you root a nook color it becomes a nearly fully functional android tablet... it's pretty sweet.

I know it's a great tablet if you root it, but if she already HAS a Kindle, why wouldn't she just...use it?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

FidgetyRat posted:

It's not an outright recall. People have just been getting some crediting when they call Amazon to complain about rebooting caused by the cases.

I even tried by email, but they require a phone call. I'm going to call later today.

My GF called, they refunded her the price of the case plus shipping and an extra $25 bucks. Took 2 minutes.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Murodese posted:

So is SAnzbd+, but that's been around forever and will continue to be. I'm pretty sure the mods don't care.

Believe it or not the mods do care about pirating poo poo, and openly talking about it can get you banned.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Where can I find this #nookcolor channel?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ziir posted:

tl;dr: browsing on a touch screen smart phone is awesome.

This. I do so much web browsing on my phone. And especially since I got a Nook Color and rooted it (running the same ROM as my phone even) I do a lot of browsing via Android.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Javid posted:

I really haven't hosed with a smartphone in a while, honestly, I just didn't think it had gotten THAT much better in a couple years considering I had working tabs and flash in 2007.

It's insanely better, and Android at least has real, actual flash. I assume you're talking lovely old Windows Mobile?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Doghouse posted:

I was trying out a nook color in a b&n store, and it seemed horrible - every time I tried to click on a link , it would click the one above or beneath it. It also seemed slow. Is the display nook there just a bit messed up (it seemed that way) or are they all like this?

I can't speak for stock, but I have no issues on my rooted NC with CM7 on it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Well gently caress, my Kindle touch just decided to not turn on with the power button, instead flashing the green light on then off. Now it's in a boot loop. Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

a power button that can't be accidentally tapped

The power button on the Paperwhite requires a very firm push, and is pretty small and almost flush with the device. It would be quite difficult to accidentally push the power button.