Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I went voyage > oasis > cheapest kindle, and I thought I would miss buttons more but the weight and shape makes it so much more pleasant to use than the oasis

I still use the oasis but only in bed on mount because the warm screen and size is nice

I had tried out the Palma after seeing people talk about it here but there was too much smartphone bullshit and the light on it was kind of weird. The cheap base model kindle was more or less what I wanted out of the Palma

inferis fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Is there a way on kindle to make taps on either side of the screen advance the page? I vaguely remember that being possible in the past but I’m not sure and I can’t find it.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Devorum posted:

It's getting time to replace my 2019 Oasis. Battery was never great, but now I have to charge it every 3 days or so even on airplane mode. Lasts less than 24 hours on WiFi.

I've seen the Libra 2 recommend a lot...but I'm pretty deep in the Amazon ecosystem, unfortunately. How hard is it to deDRM these days?

What other recommendations are there? The Boox devices? The Paperwhite looks great, but I'll miss the physical buttons. No interest in another Oasis.

If you have some way to try them in person or don’t mind doing a return, I recommend at least trying the cheap base model kindle unless you need the yellow LEDs or waterproofing. The weight alone was a huge qol upgrade for me although if I’m using a stand I still use the oasis for the larger screen.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Depending how restrictive your library is about how many holds and checkouts you can have, kindle has the advantage that Libby and Amazon don’t really talk to each other past the initial loan so you can return the book in Libby and keep the kindle loan for the whole period.