Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

http://twitter.com/AmazonKindle/status/7153261815533568

Kindle 2G for $89 on Black Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to send corrections for a Kindle book? I have one (Anathema) that used negative dates in a few places, like "the year -1492", and they didn't put a proper space before the minus so it ends up as "the year-1492".

I know this is petty, but it's wrong dammit. And reliably wrong too, in the whole book, like it just got converted wrong.

If I complain, will they just refund me the money and take the book back?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, why HAVE they been so slow to implement PDF support? It seems like the most natural thing in the world. Is Adobe developing their own portable PDF reader and trying to keep the others from beating them to the punch or something?
What are you looking for when you say support? PDF is bad on a Kindle just because the screen is too small and the PDF format is designed to produce whole pages that look identical in all contexts (print and screen). And scrolling isn't great because they aren't touch screens and they have a very slow refresh rate.

I haven't heard any complaints about PDFs on a Kindle DX. Just that people don't want to pay for it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Experiences with Kindle etc. on planes? Do they make you turn it off during take off and landing?

Also, I got a bunch of physical books for Xmas. Not sure whether I really want eBooks for a gift, even though Amazon lets you gift them now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Snuffman posted:

I'm curious, how often does amazon update the software on the kindle? Not that I'm jonesing for new features, I'm just curious.

This is what I was able to piece together for major versions, they seem to skip version numbers sometimes:

1.0: Kindle 1 (November 19, 2007)
1.2: Syncing locations (February 10, 2009)
2.0: Kindle 2, text-to-speech, syncing locations (February 9, 2009)
2.1: Kindle DX? (June 10, 2009)
2.3: PDF for Kindle 2, rotation support (November 25, 2009)
2.5: Collections, PDF pan/zoom, Facebook, popular highlights (May 24, 2010)
3.0: Kindle 3, new webkit browser (August 27, 2010)

A given model only runs the matching number firmware, like a Kindle 2 only goes up to 2.5.

So, Kindle 2 had a pretty decent number of updates.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of screensaver images, what is the built-in one that is a floorplan of a building?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

fishmech posted:

Well it looks like some Roman or Italian house, I really don't know if it's supposed to be anywhere special.
All the other ones are literary themed, so I figure it is a library or something, maybe.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are the Kindle leather covers really as brightly colored as they look on the website? In particular, the blue / green / orange.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for the tips on the Kindle case colors. It looks like Amazon isn't even selling the unlighted one now. I really would prefer not to spend $60 for a case for a $140 thing. None of the 3rd party cases use the fancy hinges, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather-Display-Latest-Generation/dp/B003DZ163E/ref=/ref=cm_cd_f_pb_t

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Amazon Warehouse Deals has the Black Lighted Kindle 3 cover for $14.99. Apparently condition varies, but some people report getting brand new covers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DZ165W/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
$25 now, but still a good deal if they are in respectable shape. Where did you see people reporting what they got?

Edit: Found a discussion on SlickDeals: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2835707

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So the black lighted Kindle cover for $25 was definitely brand new, just missing instructions.

Given that, I don't really love it. It's so bulky compared to the Kindle. And why only attach it on one side so the other side just dangles? Good for throwing in a bag I guess but I'll leave it bare at home most of the time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So this argument is that if the Kindle price for a book available in hardcover was $20 and a list price of $28, I should thank the publisher for saving me $8 and ignore that Amazon sells the same hardcover for $14? Just to be clear...

Personally, I still consider a hardcover to be quite a bit more valuable than a Kindle book, and I'll buy the hardcover if it's only a couple of dollars more. For instance, Tina Fey's Bossypants is $12.99 on Kindle and $13.97 for hardcover, with a retail price of $26.99. Maybe my mindset will change over time, but I will gladly pay $1 more for the "real book".

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 4, 2011

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

maxnmona posted:

again: you guys are acting like there's some sort of equation starting with the cost to produce a product and ending, after a set series of steps, on its price.
When the publishing industry is crying about their costs being almost the same for eBooks and hardcovers, and that is why they can't charge less for the eBook, who are the ones suggesting there is an equation?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

fishmech posted:

A word of warning: the non lighted covers might still have the defect where they cause the Kindle to reboot randomly. If this happens to you, Amazon is known to replace with a fixed cover or even send out a lighted cover for free.
Did they really start selling it again? For a while it was MIA.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So is it normal for the iPhone kindle app to have page numbers on books where the real Kindle doesn't? Seems odd.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

fishmech posted:

I think the only new features they've come out with that required a new device were text-to-speech on Kindle 2 (Kindle 1 simply can't handle the processing) and WiFi (The Kindle 1 and 2 and first DX simply don't have a wifi chipset to use).
No, but the way they do it is that they don't really give further updates to older devices. So Kindle 2 never got the page numbers update, for instance. If Kindle 4 got ePub, Kindle 3 might get it as one last update, or it might not.

OTOH, this strategy might change going forward if they have a lot of cheap Kindle 3's out there and don't want to annoy those owners who probably aren't going to upgrade easily. A $500 Kindle 1 owner can easily justify buying a Kindle 3 for $150, but a Kindle 3 owner probably won't do the same for a $150 Kindle 4.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hand a smartphone user a Kindle, put it on the book listing, and watch how frustrated they get that it isn't a touchscreen.

I'm pretty sure touchscreens will win, maybe with dedicated page turn buttons.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I really like that you can touch a word to define it on the iPhone Kindle app, and following footnotes is way easier too. Selecting words/footnotes with the directional pad is not really ideal. It's really just page-turns that I would want dedicated buttons.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, you want to know why Amazon has the ad-supported Kindle?

quote:

The latest Nook fetches $139, which puts it above the $114 Amazon is charging for a Kindle with ads.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/05/barnes-38-noble-unveils-new-cheaper-nook-e-reader/1

Regardless, I would be really surprised if the Kindle 4 didn't lower the price again below the $139 mark.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Codiusprime posted:

This was ever in question? I just assumed an ad supported device would be cheaper than its non ad supported competition.
My meaning was that they have it so they win all price competitions. If the ad-supported version didn't exist, that sentence would say that B&N matched Amazon's price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

dont eat a carb posted:

What is up with this kindle sale? It seems like half of the entire sale pile is weird christian self-help/indoctrination lit and jesus fetish stuff.
The Kurt Vonnegut stuff is cool, although oddly Amazon has several different publisher's versions up. There is one at $2.99 in the Sunshine sale, and then the "real" version is $11.99 (gently caress you Random House, this is a 300 page paperback).

http://www.amazon.com/Cats-Cradle-A-Novel-ebook/dp/B000SEH13C/ref=tmm_kin_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

maxnmona posted:

haha how the gently caress did they get Joyce Carol Oates to do that?
I'm thinking they put out feelers like: We are willing to pay a lot of money for good noire short fiction from name authors. And some of the authors thought, that would be neat!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's an odd one. This book is out of print, but has a Kindle edition available:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Van-Road-Black-ebook/dp/B002L2GK9A/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Wonder if we'll see more of that...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You expect a business to give away good things for free?
On a promotion that requires that you spend $140 on other stuff? Yes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to have the Kindle iOS app auto download new books? It seems odd to be stingy with 50k files.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kindle 3G is now $139 if you are willing to deal with ads. Was $164 before (since May). $189 without ads. $50 off is pretty nice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just calling it ad-supported 3G for life seems perfectly fair.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Saw an interesting fact in a recent NYTimes article:

quote:

Stieg Larsson’s third book in the Millennium series, “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest,” has yet to be published in paperback in the United States, more than a year after its hardcover was released. (It has sold 2.5 million copies in hardcover and 1.1 million in e-book form.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/books/e-books-accelerate-paperback-publishers-release-dates.html

I didn't realize that eBooks had gotten that big.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress publishers

Well, yes, gently caress publishers, but in this case it's because it is a pre-order of the paperback, and they won't drop the price to paperback prices until after the paperback comes out. The Kindle price is $1 below the hardcover, which is all you can buy today. Looks odd, but makes sense.

In other news, I finally bought a book that uses the weird hybrid format where they scan the book and then build a custom font for it. Some of it looks a little crappy with not very crisp letters and bad spacing, but the section headers look amazing since they are actually in a different font and small capped and stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Candy-Anatomy-Hollywood-ebook/dp/B001F517O2/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah yes, Topaz.

Good part of Topaz, nice chapter headings.

Bad part, weird formatting screwups.

The fonts are also not very crisp. There's really no sharp edges if you look at the full size one.

The word spacing is also a bit wide, but that's because I took the screenshots on my iPhone since I don't know how to do it on the Kindle.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's no way to have the Kindle iPhone/iPad app just download everything you purchase, right?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Full Kindle product matrix on this page:
http://www.kindle.com

The new Kindles are even lighter than the old one, which wasn't very heavy to start with.

Also, they are now playing pretty fast-and-loose with the "special offers" model. Most of the prices being quoted are for that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm not that surprised they cut the storage, since you can just delete your books and reload them from the cloud if you ever need them again. OTOH, exactly what is the marginal cost of 2GB of flash? $0.50?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Incidentally, from the engadget Kindle Touch impressions:

quote:

The touchscreen is fairly responsive, and the thing flips through pages quickly with a swipe or a tap, refreshing about once every six pages or so, a rate about on-par with that of its chief competition.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

That quote's just referring to the method of only doing a "full" refresh (with the blanking out of the screen with black) every 6-pages or so. Between that, it just instantly changes the text without a flash. I think this leads to a little bit of shadowing/artifacting that you can see, but the trade-off is "hey, a lot less flashing in my face."
Yeah, this was just a case of catching up to the nook touch.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Centipeed posted:

Edit: Also worth noting is that the Kindle 4 doesn't come with a plug adapter for the USB cable. You have to buy it separately.
That's kind of a bummer. I get that they need to cut costs on the low end one, but it doesn't come with any of the new eInk ones, $10 for that is a bit of a rip. And its list price is apparently $20, which is a joke since you can only buy them on Amazon.

But maybe other people don't use theirs, so it's wasted? I have never plugged my Kindle into a computer, just the wall plug next to my bed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Kindle "this book has an update" process is stupid. Send me an email that I have to reply Yes to from the same email as my account. And if I miss the email, I'll never get the update.

Is there a way to just click on something on the web site, like you would expect?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

withak posted:

Excellent.

Geez, what kind of hardcover sells for under $7?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Elephunk posted:

Is Best Buy a terrible place to buy, compared to online vendors? I'm googling and googling and it doesnt seem like there's a great deal anywhere unless I'm missing something.

It's fine price-wise, although they may not have all the models. And I'm not sure if they give the choice of ads vs. no-ads, or even if they have the ad version.

If you buy at Amazon, you can get the power plug for $10 with the purchase instead of $15, but that's about the only diff and you may not want that.

And I have a Kindle 3 and use the keyboard once every few months. Mainly to search for something like a character name earlier in the book. Actually, I usually rotate the screen and use the keyboard part as the handle, so I do appreciate having it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wish amazon would make a slightly more affordable lighted case for the $79 Kindle 4. Especially since the reviews of the one they have say it feels cheap.