Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

The Aphasian posted:

If someone can find bigger versions of these images they would make great screensavers:
http://www.grabink.com/ASP/gallery.asp?category=rel

I went through and resized/grayscaled/removed borders from some of the images. They didn't end up looking too bad all things considered so I uploaded the set here http://www.nook-look.com/nookfiles/view/4839 .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

Strangelet Wave posted:

If we're still sharing screensavers, I've converted 248 Gustave Doré engravings to 600x800 and did the best I could with the contrast.

Here are some selections:

I've uploaded them with and without the Kindle 3 "Slide and release the power switch to wake" badge.

Enjoy!

that's fly as hell, thanks! woodcut screensavers are the best

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

Strangelet Wave posted:

Glad you liked them! Has anyone put them on something older than a Kindle 3? I'm afraid they'd look super murky on a screen with less contrast or fewer shades of grey.

they look very good on a nook

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

If anyone here is a Jose Saramago fan or have seen/read Blindness and want to dip into his other works, I just found out that there's a collection of all his novels going around for just under $20 in the Sony store and Amazon. It's a pretty drat amazing deal from one of the best contemporary authors. RIP Saramago :(

can I load the Sony version onto a Nook Classic? I'd get it straight from B&N but their version is $8 more

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

It worked. Install the sony software, download the book, find it in the directory (my documents/my books/reader library), load in adobe digital editions and transfer to nook.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

Ecojiro Desu posted:

How is the Nook Wi-Fi for marking up text? I want to switch to an eReader, but I'm concerned about not being able to mark up my books in the same fashion (highlighting, notes on the margins, underlining words, etc).

the regular Nook would be bad for that if only because the touchscreen keyboard is terrible, it has slow response and misses letters all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

PoisonedV posted:

What are the chances of a new Kindle being released soon? I'm considering getting one but I don't want to be screwed when they release a new version a day later with massive price drops on the old model.

Edit: Arggh now that I've been reading this thread I'm completely conflicted over the new Nook or the Kindle. I guess I just have to decide if I actually give a poo poo about 3G.

chances are someone will get the android kindle app to run on the new nook, I'd hold out for a bit.