Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

Sony eReader:
Pros: Touchscreen for those who want it, all models now have at least WiFi, plays media,

Cons: No cross platform synchronization, slightly smaller bookstore. No web browser.

This isn't quite right.

Daily Edition has web browser, and what do you mean by cross platform sync?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

madprocess posted:

Sony has no ability to use your books and keep your place across ipod touch, iphone, ipad, android devices, blackberry, windows phone, PC, OS X and their own reader, unlike Amazon.

Ahh, I only use the sony...so I have no idea.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think only the daily has the browser and that only connects to the sony store or a news feed you can set up through them.

Nope, I got a PRS-950 about a week ago. Do you want me to answer some questions about it/take some pictures?

You can only use the browser with wifi though.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sony eReader:
Fixed that up for you a bit. They all don't have wifi, only the Daily Reader.

PRS-350 (aka Reader Pocket Edition): $149.99
Screen Size: 5 inches
Resolution: 800x600
Screen Tech: eInk Pearl, optical touchscreen, comes with stylus.
Main Memory: 2GB, (no SD or Memory Stick)
Formats: DRM Text : ePub (Adobe DRM protected), PDF (Adobe DRM protected), BBeB Book (PRS DRM protected), Text, RTF
Unsecured Text: ePub, BBeB Book, PDF, TXT, RTF, Micrsoft® Word, (Conversion to the Reader requires Word installed on your PC)
Unsecured Audio: None.
Colors: Silver and Pink.
Wirless: None.

PRS-650 (aka Touch Edition): $199.99
Screen Size: 6 inches
Resolution:800x600
Formats: DRM Text : ePub (Adobe DRM protected), PDF (Adobe DRM protected), BBeB Book (PRS DRM protected), Text, RTF
Unsecured Text: ePub, BBeB Book, PDF, TXT, RTF, Micrsoft® Word, (Conversion to the Reader requires Word installed on your PC)
Unsecured Audio: Unsecured Adudio: MP3 (Non encrypted), AAC (Non encrypted)
Main Memory: 2GB w/ dual expansion slots (Memory Stick Duo™ and SD Card up to 32GB.) Not sure if they can be used at the same time.
Colors: Black and Red.
Wireless: None.

PRS-950 (aka Reader Daily Edition): $249.99
Screen Size: 7 inches
Resolution:600 x 1024
Unsecured Audio: Unsecured Adudio: MP3 (Non encrypted), AAC (Non encrypted)
Main Memory: 2GB w/ dual expansion slots (Memory Stick Duo™ and SD Card up to 32GB.) Not sure if they can be used at the same time.
Colors: Silver
Wireless: 3G and Wifi.
There is a browser included, but it you can only use it with wifi as of now. It supports push delivery of daily newspapers and magazines through the Sony Store. Subscriptions are around $10-$20 a week month for most papers, and you can buy books through the store with your SonyStyle account.

If anyone wants to know more about the PRS-950 let me know. So far it does really well with PDFs, and seems to like books in ePub the most.

All should interface with Calibre fine.

Where to buy: https://www.sonystyle.com
Where to check the book selection: http://ebookstore.sony.com/

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 19, 2010

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Avian Pneumonia posted:

One thing that has surprised me about e-readers so far is that people actually seem to be buying the media. It seems that aside from a few computer books, bestsellers, and self-help nonsense, that torrents and illegal downloading of e-books hasn't really taken off.

Though I suppose this also has to do with drm and the fact that there are so many filetypes flying around right now.

This isn't exactly true, you can still find most any book :filez:. I think it has more to do with that fact that the infrastructure (eReaders) was in place before the files started showing up. This is basically how the music industry would have been in 2000ish if iTunes store and the first iPod came out at exactly the same time, and before people were used to getting mp3s for fee.

It's now the normal way to get books through your eReader's software, so they don't think twice about it...that's just how it works to everyone. It's also a lot harder to find book because we don't have something like Napster for ebooks.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Actually books have been up to download long before eBooks started growing. I think it has all to do with the ease of purchase rather than anything else. Steam, iTunes, everything has shown that if you provide an easy way to buy stuff, people buy stuff.

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say.

Also if you compare ebooks to mp3s when the devices really surged in popularity the publishers and retailers already had their poo poo together to make it easy for people to buy thing. Unlike music/movies/tv.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

In my defense I was asking about something that I hadn't seen mentioned yet, how highlighting worked for PDFs.

Also, why HAVE they been so slow to implement PDF support? It seems like the most natural thing in the world. Is Adobe developing their own portable PDF reader and trying to keep the others from beating them to the punch or something?

I think it's because PDF was really designed for printing, so you can make PDFs in a huge amount of ways. Like specifying exact placement of graphics/text...etc. When the reader's try to do the reflow thing they can get pretty hosed up.

The Sony Daily is pretty good at it, but some of the text in PDFs look like poo poo for some reason. It really turns into zoom, read, zoom, scroll, scroll, zoom out, read, scroll, scroll, read...give up and use a computer.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

<:mad:> Don't care. I only have one micro usb cable, so it's a con for me since I have to go get a new couple of spare cables.

(the reader owns so hard, that the fact I gotta go buy a new cable for a backup is pretty much the only con besides lack of a cover)

Yours didn't come with a charger and usb cable? I got the PRS950 a little while ago and it came with both. (USB cable and wall charger with USB socket)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Weird. Hit up monoprice.com...they sell the cables on the cheaps.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=4867&seq=1&format=2

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Armed Neutrality posted:

Holy poo poo the kindle Sunday edition of NYT is fantastic for just 99 cents. A dream come true for expats! :)

It seems like the NYT for the sony store is only Monday-Friday for single issue purchase.

Anyone know if you get the Sunday Edition if you subscribe?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Sputnik posted:

Girlfriend just got her nook today; stupid question, how the hell do we find the free books from B&N?

Like these kind of free books? http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mnemosyne posted:

Here in the Baltimore area, my husband reported that the non-color Nooks have been sold out for weeks.

My Dad just managed to find one for my Mom yesterday for Christmas (Southern PA). I got a frantic phone call about "why does one say color, and the other just says e-reader, I don't get it...which one is like yours...isn't color better...but it has that little color screen...but Consumer reports said...ehh gently caress it, if she doesn't like it I'll take it back and get the color one for her after Christmas."

This is literally as B&N is closing...Best Buy was sold out. Way to plan ahead Dad.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

maxnmona posted:

I never go camping or get caught somewhere I wasn't expected to have to stay awhile without all my stuff or on a long airplane ride or

You can always grab one of these. Looks like it'll about double your nook color battery life without a charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Digipower-Ebp-Usb34-Usb-Power-Charger/dp/B000NJDH12

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Or you could use a device that costs half as much and lasts for weeks? Shocking I know.

Hey man, I love my e-ink too.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guilty posted:

I have kind of a frustrating problem. Certain books originally in epub format show up on my kindle with a big bar of space on the left hand side. Is there anyway to fix that? The text isn't fitting to the page, it looks like there's a huge left hand margin. I'd say 1/4th of the screen is that margin

The only way that I've found (if these aren't DRMed) is to use Calibre and mess with the margins...etc. If that doesn't work you can dig into the epub and mess with CSS by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

I've been using mine pretty much nonstop for the last couple days -- do you have specific questions? I haven't seen that much chat about it either (I think a lot of people are holding out for the Nook tablet).

How easy/intuitive is it to use? I ordered one for the 'rent for christmas and they can be pretty computer retarded 99% of the time.

Also you need Prime to do all the streaming stuff right?

Have you tried to root it yet to load the google app market?