Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
If we're still sharing screensavers, I've converted 248 Gustave Doré engravings to 600x800 and did the best I could with the contrast.

Here are some selections:

Orlando Furioso

The Old Testament

The New Testament

The Crusades

Inferno

Purgatorio

Paradiso

The Idylls of the King

Paradise Lost

Don Quixote

I've uploaded them with and without the Kindle 3 "Slide and release the power switch to wake" badge.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Couple of minor fixes to a few image margins, new version linked.

EDIT EDIT: Alright, the images were kind of dark, so I upped the gamma, lowered the white level, and fiddled with the contrast a bit. Last time I'm going to muck around with them, promise.

Strangelet Wave fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

maxnmona posted:

Custom screensavers don't work on Kindle 3, right?

They do, but not without a little hacking. It's quite painless--it'll take maybe 5 minutes, tops, and is completely reversible. Instructions here (and in the OP).

You can also add fonts and tethering and suchlike, but I've only done the screensaver hack. Works just fine on my Kindle 3 WiFi. The screensavers cycle in order as usual (which I like), but you can also get them to randomize with the instructions in the link.

EDIT: In the instructions, it tells you to reboot by placing a blank file named "reboot" in a particular folder, but I just rebooted the Kindle the normal way (holding the power switch for ~15 seconds) and it worked fine. One less step.

Strangelet Wave fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 5, 2011

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

maxnmona posted:

Hey dude, installed the screensaver hack and put these on. They're sweet as hell. Thanks!

Glad you liked them! Has anyone put them on something older than a Kindle 3? I'm afraid they'd look super murky on a screen with less contrast or fewer shades of grey.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

FidgetyRat posted:

Pretty much the weight and the fact I wouldn't use the light, so its kind of silly. I'll try to get a refund and wait till they fix the issue. I'm confident using plastic hooks would solve the whole issue. Pretty sure its static related being it only happens to mine when I move around with it.

I bet the metal hooks are both screwed onto the same metal bar, so I doubt it's a static electricity issue so much as a regular electricity issue. The act of moving the Kindle probably just jostles the hooks around until one of them scrapes against the contacts in the side of the device. Are there any chips or worn-out spots in the paint on the hooks?

Shrinkwrapping them might work, as might a little bit of wax paper. Anything to get some more insulation between the hooks and the contacts--just be sure you don't permanently gum up the slots in the side of the Kindle.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Strangelet Wave posted:

If we're still sharing screensavers, I've converted 248 Gustave Doré engravings to 600x800 and did the best I could with the contrast.

Here are some selections:

Orlando Furioso

The Old Testament

The New Testament

The Crusades

Inferno

Purgatorio

Paradiso

The Idylls of the King

Paradise Lost

Don Quixote

I've uploaded them with and without the Kindle 3 "Slide and release the power switch to wake" badge.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Couple of minor fixes to a few image margins, new version linked.

EDIT EDIT: Alright, the images were kind of dark, so I upped the gamma, lowered the white level, and fiddled with the contrast a bit. Last time I'm going to muck around with them, promise.

Reposting my screensavers for Duckman2008. Also, I've updated the packs once since I first uploaded them--a couple of the screens had a bit of whitespace around the edges, so I fixed them.

Strangelet Wave fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 5, 2011

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

SLOSifl posted:

I grabbed all of those and adjusted their contrast to (hopefully) look better on the Kindle screen.

Yeah, the Kindle only has 11 shades of grey (if I recall correctly) and pretty abysmal contrast compared to LCD or ink. I lack the software/expertise to batch adjust all the images with any level of sophistication, but no matter what, it's going to be a tradeoff between contrast and detail.

I personally like to err on the side of detail (I like poring over the Kindle screen under a bright light), but you're welcome to make high-contrast versions of all of 'em if you want.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Sad Panda posted:

edit : Is there some way to have Calibre e-mail the news subscriptions it downloads straight to my Kindle so I can get it over 3G rather than having to plug it in? Waking up in the morning and turning my Kindle on to read the news would be so much more awesome than having to walk all the way to my computer to plug it in.

edit 2 : Can I make it so the Kindle shows my current book front page rather than random pictures of Jane Austen when I put it to sleep?

To be specific, if you tell Calibre to email news to yourname@free.kindle.com, your Kindle will only download it over wifi--a wifi download is always, always free. If you email something to yourname@kindle.com, it'll download over 3G for a fee if wifi isn't available.

You seem to have everything under control, but I don't know how http/opds downloads over 3G work, and whether they entail a fee or not. For people who have a wifi-only Kindle, it's a moot point, as every download is free.

Also, check my post history in this thread for some more screensavers--the second post has 10 nicely contrast-adjusted Gustave Dorč engraving, whereas I've uploaded a few hundred somewhat darker engravings. Choose wisely.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Ingram posted:

Does anyone here have a book that lists that it supports page numbers on the website but in fact does not show the page numbers in Kindle for PC or the Kindle itself?

I purchased The Name of the Wind last night - http://www.amazon.com/Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicle-ebook/dp/B0010SKUYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297484899&sr=8-3 - but it doesn't appear to be working. The only other purchased book I have doesn't list any ISBN page number source so I assume it doesn't have it.

Turn on the WiFi, open the book, open the menu, and let it sit for a moment. I did this with a couple of books, and the page numbers magically appeared within a minute or so--I think the Kindle has to communicate with Amazon or compute something in the background for the page numbers to show up initially.

Oh, yeah, and make sure you actually have the 3.1 firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Ziir posted:

Is there a way to delete certain default screen savers from my Kindle? Cause this Emily Dickinson one is freaking me the gently caress out.

In a roundabout sort of way, yes. First, DON'T UPGRADE TO 3.1 YET. Then, follow the instructions in the OP to install the screensaver hack, and then collect the default Kindle screensavers from a Google search or something. Install the screensavers as per the hack's instructions, minus Ms. Dickinson. After you install the hack, you can upgrade to 3.1, but you won't be able to install any additional hacks after that (I think).

If you've already installed 3.1, you're boned until someone comes up with a new jailbreaking method.