Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Am I reading this right?

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-kindle-3g-web-browsing-where.html

If I buy a Kindle with 3G then I can't use the "regular" internet (only Wikipedia) in Germany over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

madprocess posted:

It depends. Most of the neighboring countries can use the regular internet over 3g tho, so maybe you just aren't guaranteed access (like you would in America).

You'd still be able to use the browser freely over wifi of course, as wella s using the store over 3G.

I understand that, but the only reason I wanted the 3G version was to check my Gmail/Google Reader/Facebook/Google Maps/etc for those times I'm on a long train or bus commute. Oh well, it's settled, I just picked up a wifi Kindle 3.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is there a better pdf converter than calibre? I have a pdf of a quantum mechanics textbook (legally freely available from the publisher) and calibre just spent almost half an hour converting it and it looks terrible on my Kindle (oh yeah, just bought one). It seems like paragraphs or even pages are out of order.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

El Hefe posted:

care to tell me how? through the browser I imagine? it seems kinda stupid to do those things with the Kindle anyway when we all own cellphones that can do a much better job, and don't tell me you own a Kindle but don't own a cellphone with internet access...

I have an iPhone, but I don't live in the States anymore. I have a prepaid SIM card that I reload once every month or two for calls/SMS cause it's cheaper than getting on a contract. I COULD buy into a data plan but I went without it for a month when I got there and didn't miss it too much, so I have only wifi access on my phone now.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Some questions...

How fast does text to speech drain the battery? Listening to a robot read Jules Verne to me seriously made my 3 hour drive bearable today.

In my books folder that I tell calibre to store my collection, what does the number in parenthesis after the book title mean? For example ~/Books/Jules Verne/From the Earth to the Moon (3)/blah.mobi, I'm talking about the (3). Can I get rid of it? I definitely don't have 3 copies/folders of the same book.

When I'm reading a book, there are some numbers on the bottom of the screen. I figure "location" is something like a page or line number, but on the right corner there's also a random number that doesn't seem to change, ever. What's that?

Edit: I saw this pop up on my RSS feed today: http://kottke.org/11/02/noteslate, looks pretty sweet to me if it's real.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
How come the "update firmware" option is grayed out for me? I have 3.0.2.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Oh silly me, I thought it would update over wifi.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Wait, the only way I can put an item on my Kindle into the archived section (and consequently away from my home screen) is if it was purchased through Amazon? So books I transfer from calibre can't go there? :wtc:

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I thought it was stored on the Kindle itself, like a place to put books I've finished reading.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I thought the reason Microsoft got sued was because Microsoft is/was a software provider (OS) whereas Apple is a hardware provider, so they can do anything they want since it's their own system.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is there a way to delete certain default screen savers from my Kindle? Cause this Emily Dickinson one is freaking me the gently caress out.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Already on 3.1. Guess I'll have to deal with waking up in the middle of the night without my glasses/contacts, groggy, and seeing some woman with no eyes staring into my soul.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

The Aphasian posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00403MNSK?ie=UTF8&tag=blackga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00403MNSK

Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: Reaching for the Soul of Beer and Brewing [Kindle Edition] free right now.

drat, missed out. Was it good? :(

FidgetyRat posted:

My wife and I have taken to leaving Ms. Dickenson in random places when she shows up.. Like under the covers on a pillow, in the sock drawer.. It's started a whole "Ohhhhhhh you you got emily'd" game in our house.

Its those hollow eyes man... Keeps you up at night.

I think someday when Amazon takes their head out of their rear end and lets people do something trivially easy like adding a drat jpg to a kindle, she will stay in the rotation.

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Kerafyrm posted:

All the Borders in my city are closing. :(

I'd like to say it surprises me, but it doesn't; they've been struggling for the past few years. It's a shame, I really like their Rewards program over B&N, but with the combination of an eReader and the preference of buying physical books at an actual store, I'll probably shift over to Barnes and Noble.

I really hope this means they'll have a firesale or something cause they've got some really good quality Moleskin knock-offs.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Are Amazon refurbished Kindles the same as Apple refurbished iWhatevers in that it's pretty much like a brand new unit and the battery was replaced?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
What's a good way to convert wikipedia articles to Kindle format for offline reading?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Javid posted:

Easiest way would be something like cutepdf, since the kindle can read PDFs. Use Calibre from there to convert the PDFs to .mobi if you really want to.

You can download wikipedia articles as a pdf, or combine multiple articles together to make a "book," so if that's what cutepdf is for then it's not needed but…

teraflame posted:

instapaper.com

drat, this is awesome. It works ok for wikipedia, but not perfect since a lot of the articles I want to save to my Kindle to read are scientific/mathematic so the formulas get hosed up. I've also encountered at least one website that doesn't work (only the pictures/formulas show up, with none of the text). Nonetheless, it'll do. Is there some kind of plugin for calibre to automatically grab new pages from my account and put them onto my library?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
The ads don't look like they'd bother me but $25 isn't enough considering I'd see them for the rest of the device's life. Maybe $99 would be better cause that drops it under a hundred. It'd be neat if say the moment you buy $25 worth of Amazon gift cards or credit that they'll drop the ads though.

Still, once a jailbreak comes out, and one will, people will probably just buy this one, jailbreak it, and then install the stock firmware.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Javid posted:

It's no weirder to browse the web on than the average smartphone browser,

I don't know what type of smart phones you have but browsing the web on my iPhone is like awesome. Sometimes I even just grab my phone and sit on my couch to catch up on RSS articles cause it's more comfortable than sitting hunched over at a desk.

My sister and some friends have Android phones and browsing was similar too though the touchscreen was a bit wonky to me.

tl;dr: browsing on a touch screen smart phone is awesome.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
On the subject of shittily formatted books on Amazon, how can I tell whether a book is 'good' or not? The free books on Gutenberg are nice, but if $1 is what it costs to get a quality version of the book then I'll pay it (sometimes).

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I think a touchscreen would be awesome (coming from an iPhone user), but the lack of a physical page turn button kind of sucks. When I'm reading PDFs on my iPhone I actually hate having to scroll with the screen and wish I could press the volume buttons to turn the page. It's just way more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm definitely selling my Kindle 3 now while I still can get most profit out of it.