Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Has anyone in the UK noticed that suddenly the Sony PRS-650 seems to have disappeared from online stores? WHSmiths and John Lewis had them on sale last night, and suddenly today they've taken down the pages completely, as if they never sold them. I think it's the same for a few other stores. Is there an obvious reason for this, or is there a nationwide conspiracy to pretend the device never existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Are there any rumours of a new Sony reader out there? I've been phoning around it seems as though nobody in the UK has stock of the PRS-650, and nobody's expecting new shipments any time soon. Not only that, several retailers have outright removed their web pages for the reader, rather than just displaying "out of stock". What the hell is going on?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Does anyone know historically how quickly the Sony readers have come down in price? I really want a PRS-650, but I can probably hold out until the summer if the price falls quickly enough. The current £200 price tag seems unsustainably steep to me.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

fishmech posted:

They don't really do that unless the next model comes out and the one you want is discontinued.

I guess I'll be getting the reader sooner rather than later in that case. Does anyone know how moddable the PRS-650 is? I heard it's relatively easy to make apps for it, don't know where I got that from though.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Is anyone else here keeping tabs on what happens at CES? I decided to hold out on getting an ereader until I find out what's going on with those funky Mirasol panels. Someone's bound to announce a new colour ereader based on those in the next day or two, right?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

OH hay, look at this. Just a reference design, but still an actual device. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/mirasol-equipped-qualcomm-reference-tablet-hands-on/

drat... they promised a consumer-ready device for CES, but now it's slipped to CeBit. I guess that really does mean it'll be a while until it reaches shelves. It's a pity, since it looks like it's miles ahead of anything else out there. One thing I worry about though is the viewing angle will probably be pretty limited, although I don't know for sure - just going off how their tech works.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Finally got my Sony PRS650, seriously pleased with it so far... although we'll see how I'm doing once the "new shiny gadget" phase has worn off. I tried sight-reading sheet music off a pdf earlier today and it was totally doable, which is far more than I expected. It just fits in my jacket pocket too, thank god.

One thing I'm tearing my hair out over though is how to embed fonts in epub files with Calibre. I have a book in UTF-8 with Chinese text that displays as ???? on the reader, and I have a free ttf Chinese font I downloaded. How do I combine the two so it can be read?

I've searched for guides on embedding fonts in Calibre, but they're either fragmented or really poorly written and assume you know what the hell you're doing before you've started. What's more, most of the info out there is conflicting, some requiring you to edit python scripts or create arbitrary directory structures. Surely it shouldn't be this complicated. Can anyone help?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

jassa posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely not 100% sold on using a Kindle or other e-ink device for manga quite yet.

Actually, I've been reading manga on my Sony 650 for a few days and I've been really happy with it. Bear in mind, it's not perfect; if I'm honest, 6" screens are a bit small for reading manga in general, especially if it's your primary reason for getting a device. However, if you're willing to deal with the size to an extent, reading manga is a cinch on the Sony. If you need to zoom in on some portion to see the tiny-tiny text asides they sometimes like to do, it has a continuous zoom/pan feature that makes it really easy with the touchscreen. Also, you can rotate the whole thing to read it in bigger size landscape (which is what I do). If you read it in landscape, there's a decent overlap where it cuts the page in half, so if while viewing the top half it appears to have cut a panel right in the middle, usually continuing to the bottom of the page will allow you to view the whole panel just fine, if that makes sense.

What's more, it's relatively easy to convert a series of images or .cbc/cbz into .epub or .lrf with Calibre, which the Sony reads happily. I've converted a couple of series now, and what you end up with is a neat file that includes a linked table of contents that points to the start of each chapter, and you can read the whole thing continuously from start to finish as you would a normal book. I have no idea if this is possible on a Kindle, but I've found it to be much better than I anticipated - especially after everyone in the thread was warning against using an ereader for anything other than plain ebooks.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 19, 2011

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Tankobon size manga is alright on 6" ereaders since that format is generally 5"x7". It's stuff from Weekly Shonen Jump and the like that stuff gets really hard to read.

Actually, I put the weekly jump stuff right on there and I'm happy with it. Maybe I'm just willing to put up with more than others, who knows. I read it all in landscape and that definitely helps.

EDIT: Here are a couple of photos of what a typical page looks like on my reader. I know this sort of thing would have been useful to me when I was researching. The image on the actual reader appears a bit sharper than in the photos though, maybe the focus was a little out or something.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

(If these count as "image piracy" or whatever, let me know and I'll take 'em down.)

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 19, 2011

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Viewing in landscape is a solution, but my comments were toward reading in portrait. I'm not a big fan of landscape as it doesn't feel right in my hands because of the page buttons.

You mean it's uncomfortable to hold because the buttons or there, or it's uncomfortable pushing the buttons? If the latter, I don't really use the page buttons anyway; the Sony is touch screen so you just brush the screen to turn pages.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Solvency posted:

They do, up to 7 days after buying it too.

I'm pretty sure in the UK at least, it's a legal requirement for essentially all online purchases to have a "cooling off period" of 7 days minimum. It's not just an Amazon policy, although they'd probably like you to think it is.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Murodese posted:

e; actually I can modify it slightly so that it's easily portable but I have no idea how the GPL works and whether I can repackage mangle code :v:

I'm no expert, but I think with GPL you're free to modify and the release and repackage it as you like. The only conditions are that the release has to include a copyright notice (yours as well as any mentioned in the original source you're modifying), a text copy of the GPL, and you have to make the source code available.

You can find details here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Could you please add a quick way to change the output resolution? I like viewing stuff in landscape on my Sony, so the res ends up pretty non-standard... 1067 x 800 I think.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Murodese posted:

http://www.multiupload.com/XR6ICE3B2Z

Change the res in settings.conf.

Mangle will sometimes rotate images if they fit weirdly, so you might find that it rotates them to portrait anyway. Let me know how it goes.

Great, thanks! I won't get to try it for a while unfortunately, but hopefully it'll benefit other people too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Yes! Just got back from the states with my brand new Nook Colo(u)r. So far reading on it isn't anything compared to my Sony 650 which is lighter and all around much nicer to read on, but I didn't buy it for that anyway.

So, can anyone point me to the Nook rooting thread?