Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So in short, Kindle owners are pretty much assed out for using Google eBooks?

Why no ePub Amazon? :negative:

Edit:

[wishfulthinking]
1. Verify your E-Ink device is supported

Google eBooks can be downloaded onto all eReader devices that run Adobe Digital Editions. (Note: Google eBooks are not currently compatible with the Kindle).

Some common supported devices include: Aluratek Libre, Astak EZ Reader, BeBook, Bookeen, COOL-ER, Elonex eBook, HanLin eBook, IREX Digital Reader, Neolux Nuut, and more. Supported readers are listed on this page.
[/wishfulthinking]

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tankobon size manga is alright on 6" ereaders since that format is generally 5"x7". It's stuff from Weekly Shonen Jump and the like that stuff gets really hard to read.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jimlad posted:

Actually, I put the weekly jump stuff right on there and I'm happy with it. Maybe I'm just willing to put up with more than others, who knows. I read it all in landscape and that definitely helps.

EDIT: Here are a couple of photos of what a typical page looks like on my reader. I know this sort of thing would have been useful to me when I was researching. The image on the actual reader appears a bit sharper than in the photos though, maybe the focus was a little out or something.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

(If these count as "image piracy" or whatever, let me know and I'll take 'em down.)

Viewing in landscape is a solution, but my comments were toward reading in portrait. I'm not a big fan of landscape as it doesn't feel right in my hands because of the page buttons.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jimlad posted:

You mean it's uncomfortable to hold because the buttons or there, or it's uncomfortable pushing the buttons? If the latter, I don't really use the page buttons anyway; the Sony is touch screen so you just brush the screen to turn pages.

Yeah, Kindle doesn't do that. The buttons are the edges of the bezel.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Murodese posted:

My Kindle3 arrived today so this script is finally ready.

MangaTraders Scraping Script

What does it do?

Supply it with either a list of rss feeds or a specific manga id off MangaTraders and it will grab, convert and optionally copy the lot to your device. Or store it in a working directory for you to do stuff with. Use either a cronjob or the windows task scheduler to get it to check your feeds regularly.

Does it only work with the Kindle?

Well, it converts it to a size and color palette appropriate for a K3. So anything similar to that should work fine. You can change the folder it saves to in the config (for kindles it's /pictures).

Why is this better than using Calibre?

For one, it's console based and easily automated (as is Calibre to an extent), but it's also based off Mangle, which makes things look much, much prettier than Calibre's comic book converter. Much prettier. It can also grab an entire manga series (I tried this once with One Piece, it worked well and that's a poo poo-ton of chapters).

My kindle is filled with chapter folders *gumble*

Sorry! You can either read chapter to chapter (in the case of new chapters, I guess) or entire series by choosing the appropriate entry. Delete the chapter out of your nominated folder from your Kindle when you're finished.

Everything's downloading really loving slowly.

MangaTrader's servers are pretty weak and their load balancer tends to balance loads by putting everything on the first two servers and leaving the fourth and fifth unused. On top of that, there's a single-file download limit, so I can't even thread downloads. That said, they do a fantastic job and if you're regularly ripping large series' I'd suggest kicking in some money towards their donation totals.

Something went horribly wrong!

Add --verbose to the command line and paste the result. If it's blocking at retrieving the content-type, welp :v: I'm guessing their servers are pretty awful and sometimes choose to just drop requests. If it loops trying to retrieve, kill it.

Usage:

mangatraders --help

It's pretty self-explanatory. To grab a whole series, search for it on MT and note the number in the url, then run:

mangatraders --manga id --copy

--copy copies the files to your device once it's finished. Explore settings.conf to add your username, password and desired folders. To check feeds, run:

mangatraders --feeds --copy

Screenshots

(screenshots off the kindle itself, the third being in fullscreen mode)

I was worried One Piece might look awful on a kindle because there's a tonne of small text, but it's actually quite readable and the drawing looks really nice :3:

Downloads

Executable: http://www.multiupload.com/KTG0CXZB6B
Source: http://www.multiupload.com/KMLBFEP4M3

lol manga nerd

i don't care it's useful for me gently caress yall :derp:

Maybe just what I needed to get away from Mangle...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

FidgetyRat posted:

My wife and I have taken to leaving Ms. Dickenson in random places when she shows up.. Like under the covers on a pillow, in the sock drawer.. It's started a whole "Ohhhhhhh you you got emily'd" game in our house.

Its those hollow eyes man... Keeps you up at night.

I think someday when Amazon takes their head out of their rear end and lets people do something trivially easy like adding a drat jpg to a kindle, she will stay in the rotation.

Do you get on one new and read a few pages? :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

golgo13sf posted:

I don't know if this has been posted, but christ some people don't get the age we live in:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/03/boycott-harpercollins-publisher-limits-library-e-book-lending/71821/

Bleh, between them and Penguin Publishing, it just makes me angry they pull this poo poo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Thanks to the goon that linked the Amazon Warehouse thing. Got my lighted cover for 30 bucks and it looks brand spanking new.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Well no wonder the lighted covers are cheap on the Amazon Warehouse deals. loving thing won't turn on.

Can't even do a straight swap for some reason. I'm gonna talk to someone...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Anyone here have the Paperwhite Manga model from Amazon Japan? I'm still on the first gen PW and the storage is just anemic on it. I was wondering if it was worth importing it. I just find myself reading manga more and more.

Alternatively, what about the Kobo Aura One? I think I could maybe deal with the 8GB storage and if I have to leave the Amazon ecosystem, I wouldn't totally miss it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

brainwrinkle posted:

I read a couple of volumes of manga on my Voyage, but I sincerely recommend getting an iPad. The base model is $330 now.

The extra screen size makes a huge difference in the legibility of most works. You can actually see the details in the artwork too!

I'm actually getting rid of my iPad Air. I don't use it much and I don't like reading on it.

Edit: One handed reading is not great and glossy screen is bleh especially since I tend to read outside.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 1, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Friend made the case for the iPad Mini 4. Looked at it, it's light enough and my content is still very much readable. Bought one from Best Buy from their Labor Day sale minus cash I got for my Air. I'll have to deal with the glare, but doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as it was with the Air on account of it being bigger. The 128GB storage will go a long away for me which is a plus.

I think I'm good now?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/auraone-related/products/kobo-aura-one-limited-edition :eyepop:

Why am I lusting for it when I have a perfectly fine iPad Mini with 128GB of storage. :confused:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bought the new Oasis last week. Took it for a spin for my commutes and what not. Not really content with the battery life on it. It somehow feels worse than my 5 year old Paperwhite. Maybe it's the mix between the the 12 LEDs and dual core processor, dunno. I wasn't a fan of the grip hold, still prefer a more slate like grip. Returned it today. It was fun while it lasted.

Maybe I'll get that Kobo Aura One Limited Edition after all...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

gently caress it.

Edit: Welp, maybe use a card without foreign transaction fees next time. :negative:

You’d think since it had a US subdomain in their store they would have a credit processor to match...

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 18, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Soon...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ban Folklore posted:

I would like an eReader with a larger screen and preferably blue light reduction and also think the Oasis 2017 sucks. Out of all the current devices the Kobo Aura One is for me as far as I can tell. Is Kobo about to release a new premium device or a cheapo thing to sell at Wal-Mart? I don't really care about having the latest and greatest but the Aura One is pretty old at this point so I just wonder if I should wait.

And do you really end up with a foreign transaction fee from the Kobo store if purchasing from the US?

Kobo has a new device called Clara HD coming in September which does fit the "later this year" Wal-Mart thing, but everyone is banking on it being a 6-incher. No word on what devices Wal-Mart will have stocked though. The Aura One is pretty recent regarding e-ink tech. It's the latest Carta HD with the same 300 dpi as other similar devices use. The Limited Edition I just bought was released back in December 2017 I believe and the only difference is storage and a "fast page turn system" that I'm guessing is just a firmware thing.

As far as the foreign transaction fee, yes I got hit with it. They're based in Canada and despite having a US storefront, they don't have a US credit processor from the looks of things. There was an option to pay with PayPal which would have probably sidestepped that whole issue. Don't know if that follows with ebooks though. I'm just going to leverage my Kindle library with Calibre anyway. Just reinforces my memory to get a CC with no FTF's on it. Need one anyway.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 20, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My money's on the Clara being a 6 inch reader with a flush screen for $100. Any takers?

Would make a very strong entry into the market against the Paperwhite for Wal-Mart. I’m sorta with on that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It came.

Was a pleasant out of box experience. Felt good in the hands as I anticipated after handling the Oasis 2 prior. Converted my Kindle books to their offshoot epub format, kepub, to take advantage of the format's features and loaded them up, bought a book on the Kobo store to check things out though I was supposed to get 5 bucks off my first book so I guess I'll have to contact support on that. LED array is mostly fine, not as good as the Oasis 2's, but I'm not minding it. Better than my Paperwhite's more obvious light shafts however. One weird thing though is that they included an extra micro USB cable in the shipment. Only thing I can tell is that the extra one is Kobo branded. Hope the one that's in the box doesn't have problems. :tinfoil:

Gonna pick up my first library card in like 20 years this week to check out the Overdrive stuff.

It was worth the extra inch.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 27, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ban Folklore posted:

I got my Aura One (non-exclusive edition because I don't read comics or anything) and it feels good in the hand. I agree that the lighting is not as even as my Oasis1 or the Oasis2 I tried out for a month, but it's not bad at all. It is lighter than I anticipated.

Holy poo poo is getting books to format properly awful, though. I converted my Kindle books to epub with Calibre, by default line spacing is jacked up. I figured out to fix that with some CSS tweaking but now every paragraph has a line break. Removing that in Calibre also removes and section breaks, which I find pretty annoying.

Is there a guide anywhere to get formatting to act as it should?

I’ll have to go through more of my converted books since I didn’t notice anything out of the 2 or 3 I looked at but I only used Calibre for DRM stripping and initial epub conversion but used kepubify to do a final version of kepub which gives you extra features on the Kobo.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 28, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Picked up my new library card from the county and man, the built-in Overdrive support on the Kobo Aura One is slick as poo poo. Don't need to touch Adobe Digital Editions at all.

Edit: Or go through a bajillion steps to get it on a Kindle for that matter.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 1, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can someone with one of the giant drive kindle oasis or kobo auro ones try to load up a few gigs of books on there and see if it loads and works? As a USB drive and in calibre, I mean.

The reason I ask is I want to get one or the other, but with my nook, if I load up a ton of books the nook just flat out stops responding and I can't easily add more to it.

I don't want to drop 300 bucks on a bigger ereader if the only thing it'll do when I load a shitton of books is just stop me from ever adding anything else.

It'd be cool to have my entire collection on one ereader.

I'll download a Project Gutenberg archive and give it a go. Bear with me.

Hope the metadata on these aren't garbage. :stonklol:

Edit: Yeesh, they couldn't just give me a bunch of epubs, could they...

Edit #2: Bleh, can't find any public domain collections of epubs without :filez: dominating search results. Not interested in converting all these text files that's on Project Gutenberg DVD, sorry!

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 1, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Coldforge posted:

:confused:

I click a button on my library’s website and it sends me to Amazon, where I “buy” the book. It gets returned automatically.

What are these steps?

An exaggeration of course. I was more into the fact I can do it directly from the device as if I was buying a book through the store. It's just there if available on the service.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I bought my wife a Kindle Oasis for Mother’s Day but I forgot completely about a cover. She will be using it for to work and back (so in a laptop bag), in the bathtub (waterproofing made her want this so much) and around the house. A few questions:

1) Is a cover really necessary or is the Oasis pretty sturdy?
2) If a cover is needed, which one does everyone suggest? Regular cover or charging cover?
3) If you get a cover, is a screen protector necessary since you can put water on it to wipe it off?

Regarding 2, if you bought the current gen Oasis, that does not have a charging cover. That was last gen only.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kobo Clara HD info leaked by way of an Italian retailer and it's more or less what people thought when FCC info came out initially. Another 6-inch device.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/05/14/leaked-kobo-clara-hd-costs-129-ships-early-next-month/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I suppose the press embargo on the Kobo Clara HD is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aOFW6_jppo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRyE8B5J4Nw

Oh hey, you can even pre-order: https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-hd?utm_source=Kobo&utm_medium=TopNav&utm_campaign=Clara%20HD

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Codeacious posted:

I read through the last couple pages of the thread, but I'll risk being redundant to satisfy my concerns (and wallet). I've never owned an eReader and am looking at a Kindle Voyage,. My top two priorities for an eReader are visual quality (since I typically prefer physical books) and ergonomics (particularly being able to read lying down, as I read a lot in bed). The Voyage seems to be my best bet on this, but I know basically nothing about Kobo's and haven't even glanced at a Nook.

Should I just pull the trigger on a Voyage, or is there anything else that I should consider?

For visual quality, a 300 ppi screen is most likely what you want. The Voyage has that among some of the other Kindles. Kobo does as well on their high end devices and the upcoming Clara HD. Nook does as well I believe with their currently available devices. Next is the question of ecosystem. Some people like the freedom to shop anywhere that's not Amazon and buy epubs. The Kindles are the only devices that can't read epubs without conversion. Others like Amazon's scale compared to other ebook shops and convenience, especially if you have Amazon Prime. Then there's others who don't really care, buy what they want and strip DRM and put it on their device of choice.

Can't comment on ergonomics unfortunately as I have a Kobo Aura One which is huge as hell for a non-writing e-ink device. :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Codeacious posted:

I've borrowed several eReaders in the past, typically older Paperwhites or something similar. I got to try a Voyage last weekend, and it was the first time that I actually enjoyed using an eReader. The person I was borrowing it from also has a system set up to get academic PDFs onto the Kindle, which convinced me that it was worth investing in one.

Part of the reason I'm looking at a Voyage is that the flush screen made a huge impression on me when I was using it; I'd definitely prefer to get a device that doesn't have the screen sunk into the bezel. The Aura One seems to have that- though it definitely seems larger than the Voyage.

It most definitely is. Here it is next to my old Paperwhite which is similar in size to the Voyage.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wibla posted:

That 6" vs 8"?

6” vs 7.8”

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

If you were so inclined, you could set up your own ebook "storefront" on your home network. There's a couple apps out there (Calibre included with some setup) now that let you host your ebooks on an ereader friendly webpage through OPDS so you can access your collection to download to your device on wifi without ever having to connect it physically to your computer.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 6, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Got my Oasis as a replacement for my cracked Voyager.

I... actually love this thing so far. Having a bigger bezel on one side makes so much more sense in practice because I usually hold it with one hand. It makes turning the pages so much easier than trying to hit the haptic buttons on the Voyager with one hand without accidentally tapping back a page on the screen. I like how the page turning is pretty much instant and I can flip it upside-down to hold it with the other hand and the book flips with it.

Only downsides I've encountered so far:
- This thing is slippery as gently caress without a cover on it.
- It's kind of weird that it takes like 5 seconds to "wake up" after I open my cover when my previous Kindles only took like 1 second to go from screen saver to book, but whatever.
- The page turn buttons actually click. I kind of find that a bit annoying, especially when I'm reading at night while my wife is trying to fall asleep.

But really, those are all minor nitpicking. Good poo poo. Glad I went Oasis with my 15% off.

The 5 second wake up is a battery conservation measure since the current gen Oasis has a small battery. The deep sleep helps offset the lower battery life it has, but yeah it's a bit annoying after being so used to nearly instant wakes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Might be a dumb question. but does the cover end up covering the back as well? Just noticed it had a choice of colors and I was wondering wtf they'd do that if you had to pop it in a cover anyway.

Also, can you rotate it to use your left hand instead? I don't hold mine with my right that often.

The now recalled Amazon cover for the current gen Oasis did not cover the full back. It was emulating the previous gen's fit to cover up to the bump so the back would have been flat. The magnet was weak on it so it didn't stay on very well. Amazon now recommends and bundles this CaseBot case if selected, that is a full back cover at the cost not having an even back when folded over.

Yes you can rotate it for permanent left-handed use if desired. The accelerometer is pretty sensitive and changes are quick.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yes through an OPDS thing like COPS or Ubooquity (there's another thing but I won't talk about it because it works like Mylar but for ebooks so :filez: ). I was planning to set something up myself but haven't had the time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

I know about the other thing. I'm just confused because I'm not sure if I need both calibre and cops to do this.

For COPS, you still need Calibre as it depends on the database it creates. Ubooquity is its own thing and it's support to anything Calibre related is metadata only as far as I can tell.

This video seems to cover it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLa5sNKDAYI

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 18, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I run a Calibre-web frontend for a Calibre library and it works really well. Also supports send-to-kindle email for .mobis

Just so happens there is a Docker container for those who were wondering: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/calibre-web/. I actually didn't know about Calibre-web until now. I might go this route myself.

Invisble Manuel posted:

I only run calibre, with it's internal server enabled. No COPS or mylar or whatever. I use the kindle browser to access and download books on my LAN, it works well. I don't see why it wouldn't work with docker, but I can't say from experience.

From what I've read the other tools claim to be less resource heavy than Calibre's internal server. Nor do they need Calibre running in the background, just access to the folder where the library is.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hughlander posted:

There’s also COPS also from linuxserver.

Already talked about and linked it, check a few posts up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Finally some news about Walmart's partnership with Kobo:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/08/21/walmarts-ebookstore-is-launching-today/

Kobo Aura's are in store now to begin with, but you can get that, the Clara HD, Aura H2O and Aura One (non-Limited Edition) online on their ebook portal site: https://www.walmart.com/cp/5632020

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 23, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

As a One (Limited Editon) owner, it’s very good for the content I read, a poo poo ton of manga.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

Big fan of Kobo hardware, don't really know a drat thing about their online store though cause I pretty much buy everything from Amazon and convert. If my Kobo Glo HD ever starts feeling sluggish I'll upgrade to the Clara.

Store isn't too bad. Prices are mostly the same due to publishers setting the price so there's not much difference there. Amazon has extra things like Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading and they usually get exclusive titles. Most times you can stick with the Kobo Store if you want, and if the book is part of your library's inventory, you can loan it out through Overdrive easily (only for Aura One devices). Not a bad system. Kobo also does offer VIP membership that offers you a discount on most books and earning points that can be used to get even more books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MrBond posted:

Oh yeah, how is the overdrive support? Outside of the aura one, is it just epub with adobe drm?

Speaking of adobe drm, I heard adobe's software to load books is truly atrocious :(

Still need to use Adobe for non-Aura One devices I believe.