Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How much better is the new Paperwhite than the original? My BX here has the 3G Paperwhite on sale, and I was thinking about getting it as an upgrade from my Third Gen Kindle Keyboard, but if the new version is much better I'll just order it and lose out on instant gratification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SB35 posted:

Depends what you mean by on sale. But if it has issues it's easy to deal with Amazon for returns.

It's $150, which is only a $30 difference. The main reason I'm considering it is instant gratification. I could order the second gen Paperwhite from Amazon, but it'd take weeks to get here with the holiday mail rush.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm looking at getting an e-ink device I can write on that has a light. I have a Supernote A5X and I love it, but the lack of a light is killing me.

I'm deciding between the Scribe and the Ellipsa 2E. I get most of my books from Amazon because I'm lazy, but I'm not opposed to using Calibre. I know the Scribe has 300 PPI and the Ellipsa is 227. Is one device obviously better than the other, aside from that?

How does the Sage compare to the Ellipsa 2E, if anyone knows?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

It's getting time to replace my 2019 Oasis. Battery was never great, but now I have to charge it every 3 days or so even on airplane mode. Lasts less than 24 hours on WiFi.

I've seen the Libra 2 recommend a lot...but I'm pretty deep in the Amazon ecosystem, unfortunately. How hard is it to deDRM these days?

What other recommendations are there? The Boox devices? The Paperwhite looks great, but I'll miss the physical buttons. No interest in another Oasis.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

inferis posted:

If you have some way to try them in person or don’t mind doing a return, I recommend at least trying the cheap base model kindle unless you need the yellow LEDs or waterproofing. The weight alone was a huge qol upgrade for me although if I’m using a stand I still use the oasis for the larger screen.

I really like the yellow LEDs, so I'll take them when I can.

rufius posted:

FWIW I went Paperwhite -> Oasis -> Paperwhite. I don’t miss the buttons and I was heavily in the “must have buttons” camp.

No experience outside the Amazon ecosystem.

I had a Paperwhite before the Oasis and really liked it, so maybe I'll just end up going that way.