Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Nook Color may be getting bluetooth support thanks to xda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Trig Discipline posted:

Do you ever read a sentence and have it occur to you that you're reading something that someone from the past could not possibly understand?

This (w)ould be complete gibberish to someone from only a few decades ago, and yet it makes perfect sense to me. Amazing.

This exact phenomenon has come up repeatedly with this device in my circle. I don't know if it's because the thing is called a "nook" and 50's people would think "he is describing a crevice in a wall" or what, but the thing seems to provoke that a lot.

Some other sentences that are similar : "I'm stuck in traffic so I thought I'd call you.", "let me turn off my toothbrush so I can hear you better".

Anyway, I can't wait to bluetooth the gently caress out of my Nook.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Subgenius posted:

drat. :stare:

I saw another book that was $1,200 or so. Is this a matter of foreign publishers neglecting to convert their strange eastern European currencies to dollars or what?

It's like, you know how your textbooks were crazy expensive in college? It only gets worse. At work we have some computer systems manual sets that are $1,000+. $6K for nuclear materials references seems almost reasonable.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I just picked up Light Grid Pro for my NC, and it's rad as hell, especially if you're a sucker for Tron like visuals.

You can set it to use different shapes, colors and effects so there's a lot to mess around with if you're a tweaky tweaker, and it seems to be pretty light on battery usage as well.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Strangelet Wave posted:

Glad you liked them! Has anyone put them on something older than a Kindle 3? I'm afraid they'd look super murky on a screen with less contrast or fewer shades of grey.

Looks good on the NC, man. Thanks for making them!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Iron Squid posted:

Thinking about moving from my Kindle 3G to a Nook Color. How is the screen for watching movies on the Nook? Is there any chance that Amazon is going to release a color Kindle in the next few months?

The screen does pretty well, and youtube performs well for movies. When I'm near my PC, I'll see if I can get the movies app to work on it.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
You can tell by the crenelations.

So my Nook's doing something weird. After 2 weeks, it's decided to revoke access to four of my books and says I must call B&N for assistance. Can't do anything online, phone only. I'm not happy with this situation.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

manguero posted:

They're not... :crossarms: incest erotica, are they?

:wtc:

No, two Dan Simmons novels, one from William Gibson and some sci-fi comp..

edit: ^^^ oh, I hadn't heard of that. Weird.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 14, 2011

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
A few good links about ebook tech in O'Reilly Radar this week including ebook ISBN standards (why?)

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Iron Squid posted:

Does anyone have a step-by-step guide to rooting a Nook Color. I've used the AutoNooter but, practically speaking, its the same as before. I can't get Apps via Market (which I believe can't be done; they have to be imported somehow), YouTube isn't working, etc. I'm sure I've missed several steps but Google gives me confusing and sometimes contradictory info.

go here do this. I have the market, youtube, the video player, etc. etc. etc. working. It's PUSH BUTAN simple, and took me literally ten minutes to do.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Agent Pendergast posted:

Is anyone using a Nook color that isn't rooted, how is it as a reader? I'm considering changing from an e-ink reader to the color, anyone care to share similar experiences? How does the Nook do with books from torrent sites?

I dunno about torrent sites, but I do have my schoolwork and syllabi on my nook color, including some ridiculous 500 page textbook. They're all PDFs. The NC also does well with epubs. I have a bunch of books from google books and gutenberg, and they all register without a problem.

The screen's pretty easy on my eyes, and it dims pretty low for when I'm reading in bed and my wife's sleeping.

edit: is there a misconception that once you root the NC, you can't access the bn store on it any more? Because that's totally not the case.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 24, 2011

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
It always bugged me that the eink nook cycled through screensavers & wasted my battery.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Is there any way to force Windows to show an epub's cover as its thumbnail?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
What the gently caress, Barnes and Noble? They lost a $20 credit on my account and charged my bank account for a book, which I can't read because of "order problems" . No record of why any of this happened, just me missing some money and no answer from customer service. gently caress you, jerks.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

withak posted:

Is that possible? Isn't the voltage on a USB port fixed by the USB spec? I remember older 2.5in HDDs in external enclosures used to have to use a two-headed USB cable that got power from two ports at once.

I don't have mine handy, but somebody should take a picture of the NC's "microusb" vs a standard microusb. The NC's is about half again as long as the standard -- if you try to plug it into your phone or etc. you're likely to break something if you're not careful.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Devi posted:

I was reading about AutoNooter earlier tonight. If I root, that's what I'll use.

I read something, but couldn't find verification. AutoNooter is on a microSD card. If you take the card out, is the Nook back to it's pre-rooted state? And then you can pop the card back in for the rooted Nook?

Autonooter is awesome and easy to use. The longest segment of getting my NC rooted was downloading the software.

Once you root, you're good: you don't have to keep the rooter on the card. There's no harm in keeping the rooter there, but you'll lose out on that fraction of storage space.

Craptacular!, let me know what apps you were talking about and I'll install them on my NC and take pictures to show you what they look like.

VVV did I miss a mandate from the mods? If so I'm sorry and I'll stick to the base features. :ohdear:

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 11, 2011

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Tab8715 posted:

Is there, some way just to get rid of the default Barnes and Noble software on the nook? It's strange having android and the other junk floating around, plus I'd like to just make this tablet, a tablet.

You ought to be able to mount system in ADB, but unless you've made a full backup image prior to rooting, I'd advise against it.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

obi_ant posted:

If I buy a digital book on Amazon, lets say a comic book or something that has color. Can a rooted Nook read it?

Maybe? The kindle uses .mobi formatted files, and there's plenty of converters around. Whether or not they deal correctly with the formatting and images is a bit of a gamble, though.

VVV that's a good point! I don't use the android kindle client and sort of forgot about it.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 22, 2011

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Zoracle Zed posted:

is it possible to root the original e-ink nook to install a better pdf reader?

Yes, although when I did it the process of installing the pdf reader was manual: connecting to a PC and installing the .apk via adb.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Ecojiro Desu posted:

How is the Nook Wi-Fi for marking up text? I want to switch to an eReader, but I'm concerned about not being able to mark up my books in the same fashion (highlighting, notes on the margins, underlining words, etc).

It does pretty well. You can annotate and highlight sections. There's no sense of "in the margins", so I don't think you can see your notes alongside the text as you read, but there's a decoration applied to annotated text so you know when you're reading a passage you've marked up.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Trig Discipline posted:

The built-in PDF reader seems pretty much the same as it always was. I'm hoping they get these other issues fixed over the next few days/weeks.

Yeah, it's crap. I just mash my PDFs through calibre and hope for the best.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
"based on your last Nookbook purchases, Barnes and Nobles recommends... (the list of books I just bought)" :buddy:

So I should buy the same things a second time? How can bn suck so badly at this?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Rastor posted:

Secrets I've learned about on my Nook Simple Touch Reader:

* It actually does include a browser. You can activate it by typing something url-looking into the search.

Neat! Can you take a picture of CNN or something to show it off?

edit: :downs: thank you.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Verdugo posted:

Argh. Got a nook color in barter from someone for doing some PC work and I wiped it, and now it doesn't want to accept a B&N account. Goes through the registration process fine, finds the network, as soon as I enter my BN account and password [or try to make a new one] -- it kicks me to an error screen and prompts a reboot. Tried updating the firmware to 1.3, no difference. Reset the wireless router, changed the WEP to Open, factory reset the nook, all nothing. Checked on BN tech support and their number doesn't pick up and the website says, put it down for a little while and try again later.

I just want to play with my new toy goddammit. :S

Just put cyanogenmod on it and use the nook app. I bought mine and that's what I did, don't regret it for a second.