Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Craptacular! posted:

I guess my question is, "is there any way to read a commercially bought eBook with Linux?" Both Amazon's and B&N's reader apps are a no-go on WINE, and from looking at Adobe's site it appears they haven't ported their reader software at all yet.

It looks like there's no encryption at all that can be read in Linux.

The Kindle itself runs Linux, so there's your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

It's probably better to think about it this way.

How long until Amazon manages to leverage color content? Until then, we won't see a color Kindle.

The first hints of a color Kindle will be when we hear about Amazon cozying up to magazine publishers and/or graphic novel publishers.

All Kindle titles do have color in the pictures enclosed as you can see in any Kindle application outside the physical devices.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

Somehow I don't think they are going to launch a color reader only for color book covers though.

Color eink is still going to be expensive for awhile, so I don't see them creating a device around it until they have content to point at and go "see, this is why you need a color reader!"

Well here's a fact: very few books that aren't for children or manchildren even have color pictures, or pictures in general in them!

That aside, all Kindle blogs and papers and magazines and such, and any book that actually has color in print will have color in the Kindle version already. And you can be assured that as soon as they actually have workable affordable color eink that the main Kindle line will gain color eink. They already have content with color in it. They don't need anything to sell a color eink reader besides "it's in color and under $500!!!".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

benisntfunny posted:

Maybe your twilight collection lacks pictures but plenty science or finance nonfiction books contain a host of black and white diagrams and small illustrations. I'm sure there are other types too but I'm specifically referring to the manchildren books I read.

Your horrible assumptions lead you to frequently over generalize your posts and make you a reliable source for nothing; however it's obvious you clearly want to be the authority on all things eBook in the realm of SA.

You're agreeing with what I said about most stuff not having color pictures though so I don't see your point. Black and white diagrams and small illustrations work fine on grayscale eink. If you buy a color device to look at black and white images... I don't know what to tell you. It'd be really hard to use "look at black and white images" as a selling point for color.

Any problem you have looking at a black and white image on grayscale e-ink would be due to the resolution (even though all the eink devices right now have fairly high resolution for size) and color won't fix that. Also twilight is definitely in the manchildren books section...

Withnail posted:

For some reason I'm under the impression that e-ink is relatively expensive because of patents and licensing, not because it's that expensive to manufacture. I'm also thinking that as more and more lcd tablets flood the market e-ink, color or not will come down in price quite a bit.

That's a false impression. It basically used to be that they had a lot of problems with yield and general expense, hence why the Kindle cost $400 in 2007. Now you can get an e-ink device with the same screen size for under $130.

Anyway there have been cheap and cheapish LCD readers around for far longer than e-ink.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Parkettpolitur posted:

So how normal is freezing on the Kindle? Mine just had a weird issue where text from the previous page was stil faintly visible after page turns, which made me freak out. Thankfully, a hard reset fixed it. Still, kind of unnerving. Does this happen often?

That's not an issue or freezing. The only way to keep the faint remnant of previous text off the e-ink screen at all times is to do 2 full refreshes every page turn, and that of course would double page turn time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Parkettpolitur posted:

Huh? No, it was definitely an issue. The screen basically displayed two pages at once, making the book illegible. It had never done so before and a hard reset fixed it. I've seen some information on this kind of bug online and I was wondering how prevalent it is.

Which is it - faintly visible or illegible? You said the first time that it was faintly visible, that's common and isn't a problem.

What you are describing now is not an issue of faintly visible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there a guide or any tips to putting .cbr files on a kindle? I got the girlfriend a kindle for her birthday and when she's using my iPad I'd love to have some comics to read on her kindle. Thanks.

Unrar the CBR to a folder, place the folder in the Pictures directory on the Kindle, hit next page in the Kindle book menu til you find a "book" with the name of the folder. Now you're reading comics on a stock Kindle.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Parkettpolitur posted:

After the page turn, the previous page sort of persisted on the new page, albeit faintly. As a result, the new page became illegible or at least very hard to read, since the previous page was still visible. A hard reset fixed this and now I'm wondering how common this issue is.

Well if you get the previous text dark enough to make the other text illegible again, call Amazon., Having faint text that doesn't interfere with reading from the last page is common though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gmq posted:

I'm in Chile. Does anyone know if I'll be able to use the experimental web browser (via 3G) if I get a Kindle?

Does this mean that Wikipedia is the only site I can browse without WiFi?

According to this site: http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-kindle-3g-web-browsing-where.html Chile has full 3g browsing now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Duckman2008 posted:

I'll google around myself, but does Amazon have a link of countries that can support 3G? I can add that as well.

Amazon doesn't seem to have a list, but that guy's site is usually accurate. Keep in mind the list of which countries get 3g browsing unrestricted is always growing, as more carriers sign deals with Amazon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

z0331 posted:

My wife's trying to get me a Kindle for Christmas. We're in Japan right now so she apparently has to order the version labeled International on the website. It claims it won't ship for 7-9 weeks. Does anyone know if that's accurate? Seems pretty ridiculous since it's just the same as the regular Kindle, isn't it?

There's no special International version now. There was an International Kindle 2 which was the later model of the Kindle 2 though. You should try having someone in the US order to a US address, since there is no delay here, and then have it shipped to you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gmq posted:

Are you absolutely sure about this? Do you have a source?
I really want a Kindle and getting it during 2010 would be ideal.

EDIT: Apparently US/Canada and European/International Kindles have different serial numbers depending of what SIM they use.

They all work exactly the same though. With the Kindle 2 there was a US only version that used a CDMA 3G radio and an International version with a GSM 3G radio.

You can use any Kindle 3 anywhere in the world.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ara posted:

I ordered my Kindle in Japan from Amazon US at launch. There was no special international version. It was just the Kindle 3, shipped to Japan. This could have changed, but I have no idea why it would have.

fake edit: Guess they've changed it. I tried the exact same checkout process I used and it spits out an error for my shipping address and links me to the "international Kindle" page. Guess you should have ordered sooner!

You can still have an American order for you no issue. I guess they want to ensure domestic supply at a priority along with the 3 per person order limit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuzzykinz posted:

Amen to that. E-ink does have many virtues, but I'm afraid we're moving into territory that values the swiss-army approach instead of the single purpose one. And that will kill E-ink.

I doubt it. You can already get a brand new top quality e-ink reader for $139 and it'll probably be half the price by the end of this year. Plus it still has the whole "basically never worry about charging" thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jimlad posted:

Does anyone know historically how quickly the Sony readers have come down in price? I really want a PRS-650, but I can probably hold out until the summer if the price falls quickly enough. The current £200 price tag seems unsustainably steep to me.

They don't really do that unless the next model comes out and the one you want is discontinued.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Plinkey posted:

You can always grab one of these. Looks like it'll about double your nook color battery life without a charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Digipower-Ebp-Usb34-Usb-Power-Charger/dp/B000NJDH12

Or you could use a device that costs half as much and lasts for weeks? Shocking I know.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fats posted:

Anyone seen Kindles in stock at Target or Staples lately? I've been having problems with UPS and would rather buy one in person, but stores seem perpetually sold out. I guess that makes sense, post-Christmas, but no one seems to know when they'll have more.

You know Best Buy carries them too right? Probably your best chance.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FidgetyRat posted:

Part of that is because kindles don't support alternate fonts. ePubs can though. In some ways I like that about the kindle though. *should* at least make the books consistent, but here's a good case where fonts make a difference and we have no choice in the matter.

Just out of curiosity, what do other people think about a *fair* price for eBooks. I have a hard time buying them when over $5. Occasionally a new release I'll do at $9, but that's only because I know the hard cover will be $22. It's frustrating to me that there can be such a gap between hardcover and eBook, but once the soft cover comes out, there's no proportional drop in ebook prices.

Kindle does support multiple fonts, I've seen official books that make use of two variable width fonts and a monospace font in the same book.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subgenius posted:

Also, I was surprised by the high prices of many of the history books. Many of these cost $12-$20. I'm not sure if this is common to all non-fiction categories, but it is the primary reason that I've only purchased fiction so far.

Yeah it's common: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QTVXAK

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subgenius posted:

drat. :stare:

I saw another book that was $1,200 or so. Is this a matter of foreign publishers neglecting to convert their strange eastern European currencies to dollars or what?

It's mostly arcane technical stuff or special historical or scientific works that are also crazy expensive in paper form.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boo_radley posted:

It's like, you know how your textbooks were crazy expensive in college? It only gets worse. At work we have some computer systems manual sets that are $1,000+. $6K for nuclear materials references seems almost reasonable.

And it's a $2000 savings too! You'd be crazy not to buy :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Virigoth posted:

Is there any way to tag your books in Calibre to add them to a certain collection in the Kindle?

I'm getting ready to dump a bunch of books on it and I want to put them in an "Unread" folder to kind of tuck them away for a bit and not clutter up the screen. It's ok if there isn't a fast/easy way to do it but my OCD demands that they be orderly and neat on the screen and I'd rather save myself the hassle.

I dunno about Calibre but I've used this program to do just what you want: http://www.richardpeng.com/projects/kindelabra/

maxnmona posted:

Hey dude, installed the screensaver hack and put these on. They're sweet as hell. Thanks!

I just wanted to say that your book is pretty awesome and more people should buy it on the Kindle.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jimlad posted:

Is anyone else here keeping tabs on what happens at CES? I decided to hold out on getting an ereader until I find out what's going on with those funky Mirasol panels. Someone's bound to announce a new colour ereader based on those in the next day or two, right?

Pretty much anything announced at CES will take months to come out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snuffman posted:

Can you gift Kindle books across regions? I really want to read City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer, but its not available in Canada on the Kindle.

I can, however, find it on Amazon.com which indicates that it is available in some regions.

The weird thing is Amazon.com won't even acknowledge the kindle edition exists until I log in, and even then its just to deny me the purchase. Thanks amazon. :mad:

You could get an American to allow you to temporarily register your Kindle on their account to get the books.

Iron Squid posted:

Is there any chance that Amazon is going to release a color Kindle in the next few months?

If you want a "color Kindle" you have a bunch of Android tablets to choose from.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

How necessary is a case for the newest kindle? Friend of mine has one and while the small size is a plus, it also makes it look a bit flimsy.

The lighted leather case kicks rear end even if it isn't strictly neccesary.

Trig Discipline posted:

I think that Youtube thinks my NC is a cell phone.

Well you're running a cell phone OS...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BrainParasite posted:

In my opinion, as long as the e-book is less than or equal to the paperback version, that's fine. Actual ink and paper is a lot cheaper than you'd expect. Most of the price of a book is other stuff, so knocking everything down to $5-10 really puts the squeeze on publishers, especially small publishers. I know there's some talk about the end of publishers, but we aren't ready for that yet.

Ink and paper is cheap, having to shell out for an initial print run of at least a few thousand books that may or may not get sold is not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

smackfu posted:

Speaking of screensaver images, what is the built-in one that is a floorplan of a building?

Well it looks like some Roman or Italian house, I really don't know if it's supposed to be anywhere special.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

orinth posted:

No, I have downloaded like 2 regular books and 2 samples. Only one of the samples was downloaded since the last charge.

It was in sleep mode overnight and was still on when I woke up this morning. I was able to turn it on and it was still saying the battery was dead. So I'm wondering if there is something wonky with the battery gauge.

If I were you, I'd call Amazon support up and tell them that something seems to be wrong with your new Kindle's battery. You're likely to get a replacement.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jassa posted:

- Is colour e-ink worth waiting for? I believe devices using this tech are just around the corner, right?

If by right around the corner you mean several years before it's both out and affordable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuzzykinz posted:

Well... other than the horrible chinatablets(SmartV series) and the comical amount of devices announced at CES this month... The Galaxy Tablet would be a good choice, and if the Adam actually does ship this week, and is actually good, it would make a great device.

If the Nook Color's screen is tooo small for him, well, the Tab's screen is the same size.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ara posted:

You can link both of the Kindles to the same account and share all of your books all the time, unless I'm mistaken.

Yep, you can have up to 6 devices on the same account, including Kindles and Kindle apps on phones and computers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you keep the book price at $9.99 or lower and agree to let the book be sold on all devices that can take Kindle books, you (the publisher), get 70% of the book price.

If you don't play along with Amazon in that way you only get 35% of the book price. Which of course means you'd have to charge $19.98 or more for a book to get as much money as you would at $9.99

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Twitch posted:

That reminded me of another question: which collections of H.P. Lovecraft and Mark Twain are good on Amazon? Reading reviews, it sounded like some of them have really bad problems with formatting and spelling. I don't care if I have to spend a couple bucks more for something done more professionally.

Bearing in mind you can get this all for free elsewhere with a little work, http://www.amazon.com/Lovecraft-Collection-Biography-Bibliography-ebook/dp/B00328I21G/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2 is $4, has good formatting a nicely done table of contents, has been proofread, and has all the Lovecraft stories and poems available.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Twitch posted:

A couple of ratings complain about this one, I assume they're wrong?

The negative ones seem to be complaining about the grammar for no reason I can think of and one of them claims that "the" is written "ye" every time in the second story, which isn't true either.

I have it, and I don't see any problems outside occasionally seeing someone's name spelled two different ways.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hotsauce posted:

Also, the KDX is nice, but Amazon is dragging their feet on updated firmware, ala K3. The PDF support and browser would be so much better with a K3 equivalent firmware, but Amazon isn't having it. My prediction is they have a KDX revision in the works and is close to being released, hence them stagnating on the older firmware...

They just released a new Kindle DX a month or so before the Kindle 3 - have you tried that one or just the original DX that didn't have a pearl screen?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Original_Z posted:

Ah, I guess that would make sense. I guess it's typical of E-ink screens if the Sony also does it? It won't cause any damage to the unit when it's being used in those temperatures, right?

I wouldn't go outside with it in say -60 degree weather but it should be fine in normal winter weather. You may have noticed but devices with LCD screens can have the same thing happen in low temps.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

man thats gross posted:

I'll take a peek on my iPhone too then.

Edit: Same weird line split on the iPhone app. I just noticed that the link from inkmesh is for a US-only version. That may explain why no one else has the same issue. This is the only version I can download: http://www.amazon.com/Spook-Country-ebook/dp/B003RRWQY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AZC9TZ4UC9CFC&s=digital-text&qid=1295885311&sr=1-1.

Edit 2: Yup. Changed to an American address, downloaded the sample. No weird line break, and I also noticed the Canadian version was missing the space after any italicized words, which is also not an issue on the American version.

Why does Amazon hate Canada?

I'm going to guess that for some reason that book has a different publisher in Canada then in America, and the publisher in Canada really sucks at providing good quality ebooks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Murodese posted:

e; Does the picture viewer on a kindle handle folders very well? ie. would putting poo poo in One Piece/*whole bunch of chapter folders* work appropriately to group by series?

It doesn't particularly like having folders of pictures inside other folders, if you do that and have say

One Piece
\- Issue one
|- Issue two

etc, you'll have a "book" called One Piece on the menu for books and it'll show all the pictures from the first folder, and then the pictures from the next folder, and so on.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Murodese posted:

So would it be better to have it laid out like that or in multiple top-level One Piece v1 v2 etc folders?

I'd look myself but cursed Australia Day has delayed my kindle delivery, sorry :(

Well, it saves your place as you read. So if you're mostly interested in reading a series through, might as well leave it all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The sys tray icon for ejecting hardware doesn't work either. You have to do it through My Computer for some weird reason (at least on Windows 7).

That's strange, on my Windows 7 laptop ejecting from the tray icon works fine (I'm running 64 bit Ultimate by the way).