Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
l'auto è carina. Preferite il sesso gay?

It's official, the new Fiat 500 is coming to the United States. The US market car was unveiled at the 2010 LA Auto Show and will soon become available in January 2011 as a 2012 model year vehicle (Autoblog says 2011, but everything else I've seen says 2012)

Autoblog's coverage of the "2011" Fiat 500 can be found here: http://www.autoblog.com/tag/2011+fiat+500/

Fiat USA has gone live (including a configuration tool): https://www.fiatusa.com

It appears that pre-ordering one of the first US market 500s was available, but all of the cars are spoken for. You can get added to the waiting list though. https://www.ciaofiat500.com/

I have a friend that works for Chrysler that has been feeding me little teasers. Euro market cars are currently in the US for technician training / display at autoshows and the new Chrysler halo dealership in downtown LA has three US market pre-production cars on-hand.

US market cars are being built in Toluca, Mexico. I have been told that US market cars are slightly heavier than the Euro market cars due to crash / safety standards, but the torque curve has been revised to accommodate the extra weight. 80% of the part numbers for the US market car will be different from the Euro market car that is built in Poland. Most of this is due to local part production and not design changes.

US market specs: http://goo.gl/o9gdO

The best source of information at this time appears to be http://fiat500usa.blogspot.com/

I have heard nothing but great things about these cars and their technology. I will be ordering one in the specs below as soon as possible.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
I thought the engine they were bringing over was the 1.4L turbocharged MultiAir? Or is that coming along later?

Also, any idea if these are coming to Canada? I haven't seen any indication either way.

Edit: Just found out re: 1.4 turbo. That engine is slated to arrive next year in the 500 Abarth.

Ayem fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 21, 2010

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
Re: Canadian availability

http://www.torontosun.com/money/2010/11/18/16201881.html

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
At least these cars will look good when they are broken down on the side of the road.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I'll take one in black.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

A little on the pricey side, but I'd love to drive one.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Though there's no real specs listed or any description on the options, that's a heck of a deal for such a well optioned car (bluetooth and "premium" stereo stock, etc). The sport package I'd be looking for would be just under 18k. Not bad at all.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

ssjonizuka posted:

Though there's no real specs listed or any description on the options, that's a heck of a deal for such a well optioned car (bluetooth and "premium" stereo stock, etc). The sport package I'd be looking for would be just under 18k. Not bad at all.

You're right. Looking back, I didn't think about all ofthe included options. A similarly equipped Hyundai Accent or Toyota Yaris would be equal cost.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
These have been selling like hotcakes here for the past couple of years. Not a bad car, I think. There's a good chance it's being driven by a hot chick, too.

Fake edit, just looked it up. In 2010 to date, the 500 is only surpassed in sales numbers by the Aygo, and not by much.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So excited about checking out an Abarth when they bring those over.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
BSM (British School of Motoring) now uses these exclusively to teach learner drivers. I'm really glad I passed my test before they started doing that.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The gauge cluster on those is *so* cool.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I like it and I think a lot of people who would be looking at a Mini Cooper will like it too.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
I don't know if this is the deal for the rest of Europe, but in Norway they've stopped selling the 1.4 Petrol.
You can now only get the freakisly slow 1.2 69hp petrol and the 1.3 MultiJet Diesel.
I've tried them all, and I have to say that the diesel is actually the most fun to drive.
Still, it's weird that the 100 hp 1.4 isn't on sale anymore.

And now, coming out from the norwegian fiat website.. what the hell kind of a catchphrase is this?

Fiat 500. You are, we car.

Hermansen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 21, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
A 500 Abarth seems like it would be an awesome little city car.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
How reliable are they?

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I'm guessing pretty reliable. They're basically a Fiat Panda underneath, and those have been around forever and are built on pretty proven technology.

(As far as I know)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No diesel option? That kinda sucks.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Mathturbator posted:

I'm guessing pretty reliable. They're basically a Fiat Panda underneath, and those have been around forever and are built on pretty proven technology.

(As far as I know)

Italian cars built in Mexico? What could possibly go wrong? :iamafag:

Regardless, I hope this does well. Not my cup of tea personally, but I'm all for more euro cars coming to the US. please bring Alfas next

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Wow, I actually kind of like them. How much horse and torque and these things packing?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

leica posted:

No diesel option? That kinda sucks.

Diesel in this country would require a DPF that would likely drive the cost way the hell up, and ruin the fuel economy.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
MY WIFE has been enamored with them ever since she saw the Top Gear featuring it. I'll probably wait a few years for the 2012s to come in off lease at sub-10k prices and pick up a two-year old model with around 25,000 on the clock.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

angryhampster posted:

A little on the pricey side, but I'd love to drive one.

Is it really that pricey compared to a MINI, though? The top of the line model we're getting, the Lounge, seems to match up on the cheap side of a base MINI.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Wow, I actually kind of like them. How much horse and torque and these things packing?

The answer is in the OP, I promise.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My bad, I'm retarded. That doesn't look too bad for a 2300lb car.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The new twin air 2cyl turbo version seems like an ideal city car, also its kind of fitting seeing as the original 500 had a 2cyl motor.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/254248/fiat_500_twinair.html

apparently there is going to be a version that makes around 100bhp, which should be interesting

Mathturbator posted:

(As far as I know)

nope they share their underpinings with the new ford ka edit: oh wait no your right it does share with the panda and the ka uses the same chassis

edit: oddly enough I saw an old fiat 500 today, for some reason I realy want one

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 21, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Idiot race posted:

The new twin air 2cyl turbo version seems like an ideal city car, also its kind of fitting seeing as the original 500 had a 2cyl motor.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/254248/fiat_500_twinair.html

apparently there is going to be a version that makes around 100bhp, which should be interesting

Wow. I'm glad someone is trying to push a non-cam-based intake/exhaust system.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Does the 500 have a backseat at all? If so, how does it compare to the backseat of a Mini Cooper?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I can't decide if I would rather have an Abarth or the electric version as a commuter.

If the electric version would get me in the HOV lane without a passenger, that may be the decision maker.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Wow. I'm glad someone is trying to push a non-cam-based intake/exhaust system.

I'm pretty sure its been available here for about a year or so on that horrible alfa supermini thing, tbh I didnt realy understand it so I found a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IrPcmMHqHE

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

Does the 500 have a backseat at all? If so, how does it compare to the backseat of a Mini Cooper?
Yes, and it's a fraction bigger.

Basically, the 500 takes the general idea of the Mini, and actually does a decent job of it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Idiot race posted:

I'm pretty sure its been available here for about a year or so on that horrible alfa supermini thing, tbh I didnt realy understand it so I found a video.

So let me get this straight, it basically has electrically-controlled valves?

InitialDave posted:

Yes, and it's a fraction bigger.

Basically, the 500 takes the general idea of the Mini, and actually does a decent job of it.

drat, and the car looks smaller, too!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Idiot race posted:

Oh, it still runs off of a cam. I guess that's a handy way to pump and pressurize the hydraulic fluid. Just a step up from modern variable valve lift and timing technologies, I guess.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Well guess I might end up looking at a 500 over a Fiesta. Already got a vehicle for hauling, so don't really need the extra hatch space of the Fiesta. These look quite nice.

Phone posted:

So excited about checking out an Abarth when they bring those over.

Are they actually doing this? That thing looks so badass.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
The cam actuates the valve but the valve is electronically controlled? is the actuation from the cam a failsafe?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I think the cam pushes hydraulic fluid which actuates the valve, and the hydraulic fluid can be interrupted with a solenoid?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It looks like there is a solenoid that controls the size of a hydraulic chamber to prematurely close the valve. If you look the only time they re-open the valve is at idle or near idle RPM. That would be the only time the solenoid has to open the valve without an assist from the camshaft.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hermansen posted:

You can now only get the freakisly slow 1.2 69hp petrol and the 1.3 MultiJet Diesel.
I've tried them all, and I have to say that the diesel is actually the most fun to drive.
Still, it's weird that the 100 hp 1.4 isn't on sale anymore.

I love the diesel engine in my Panda. As long as there are no other cars on the road to remind you how slow your car actually is, it feels like the goddamn torqueiest, meanest, gruntinest, most unrestrained thing ever as you nail it all the way through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, feeling that turbo on the boil and going to the redline in 3rd, feeling like you're just about to take off and fly.

At which point you're going ~100kph :3:

5 gears, 165kph top speed, you do the math ;)

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
EEEEEEEP, besides the new Mustang this is the only new car I would consider buying. I can't wait to see it in person.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Jesus, if I converted the spec sheet right, that's over 60mpg for the 1.3 diesel engine on the freeway. That's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1439?play

Here's an interview with FIAT's North American boss. No Automatic trans is available in the rest of the world, so they had to do one specifically for America.

I've been following the new 500 since it came out in 2006 or whatever. I really want one. :ohdear:

• Locked thread