Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Well, I've taken the decision to part ways with my 500. Not an easy decision but I've now got a job that's within cycling distance, and it's too nice a car to be sitting in the car park for 6 and a half days a week doing nothing.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/abarth/500/fiat-abarth-500-2010/4384269

If you guys know anyone who might be interested, I'd appreciate you sending the link their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
It's time for new tires so I figure it's a good time to step up to 17" to clean up the wheel gap and not lose a lot of ground clearance in the process, but it seems like it kills off most tire possibilities in Tirerack's (and similar) configurator.

I'd like to have options beyond the Yokohama S Drives, and 500 Madness seems too sketchy, so what else is out there in the US for the Abarth?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
This thread is super quiet, I'm guessing everyone's Fiat has burned to the ground by now.
Wife's 15 Abarth rolled over 8,000 miles today, its still stupid fun but the interior rattles are insane. Has any one else seen the SERVICE ETC SYSTEM pop up on the dashboard? Hers does that a few times a week I think the last PCM update the dealer attempted they screwed up.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Mine are both doing fine : ]

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm at 16k (ugh) on my '15 and it's doing great. Well, the handsfree/steering wheel controls didn't work right until a month ago but they finally put out a TSB that actually fixes it.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
17k on my '14 Abarth:
  • IPod integration crapped out months ago but i don't care because I hardwired an AirEnabler into the glovebox.
  • Every single interior panel is full of bees.
  • I removed the interior panel covering the back hatch since the inside was full of broken glass, then never put it back on because the exhaust sounds better. Actually considering removing all interior panels since that would kill the constant bee swarm and you could hear the parts of the car that matter.
  • Saw the SERVICE ETC SYSTEM warning once on the highway after a body shop decided to wash my engine bay. I live in California so this is the only time the car has been exposed to moisture, there may be a relationship between the two events.
  • Still can't find wheels I like. 4x98 is hell.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

krysmopompas posted:

17k on my '14 Abarth:
Things

Haha so the rattles only get worse? Well good thing she's cool with throwing coilovers, harnesses and every other "racecar" part we can find at it. The service ETC thing is kinda worrying me now, good thing its got plenty of warranty left.
I don't know about you guys but the Fiat dealers here (western PA) use the Chrysler service areas and the techs are pretty clueless, its a huge chore to get anything done.

Glad everyone's farty Italians haven't burned down yet!

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

BrownieVK posted:

Haha so the rattles only get worse?
It's fixable though - the aforementioned body shop replaced my passenger side panel & glass and there's no more rattle on that side. Might just be newness, or they just did a better job than the factory.

I'd do it myself on the driver's side, but since I live in Oakland it's only a matter of time until someone breaks in and I get it fixed for free.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
4x100 wheels with wobble bolts will work, check out tire rack and euro compulsion for some neat wheels.
I just bought o.z leggendas and blizzaks for the winter. I will take pictures soon but here's what they look like.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Those OZ are legit! That was my first choice but I instead got a set of Ciao Torinos on closeout from Tire Rack, they are 4x98 with the correct bore and backspacing but the center caps were ugly so I had my buddy who does machine cut vinyl make me some knock off OEM caps and I clear-coated them for longevity (click for real big so you can see). 4x100 rims are fine so long as you get hub-centric rings and wobble bolts. Mine are holding up great and match the white/red motif I got going on so I'm happy with them. I plasti-dipped the mirror caps white and stenciled the grille Assetto Corse style as well. Got springs in the garage I gotta install but :effort:

Got about a hair under 7k on it (2015) and it's ok so but lets just say I'm glad it has a warranty. Having had a chance to experience '12 thru '15 Abarths I feel like Fiat dropped the ball on the 2015MY compared to the other model years. My '13 Sport Turbo was pretty free of issues but my Abarth has had a lot of small irritating poo poo happen, for example my passenger side side skirt peeled away from the body, my passenger side fog lamp fell out of the socket (still haven't tackled that, requires the front bumper to be removed), and my charge side intake hose literately blew off of my throttle body under WOT, had to take the battery and tray out to put that back on. That's only a small taste of the issues I've had, so like I said; glad I have a warranty.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Got about a hair under 7k on it (2015) and it's ok so but lets just say I'm glad it has a warranty. Having had a chance to experience '12 thru '15 Abarths I feel like Fiat dropped the ball on the 2015MY compared to the other model years. My '13 Sport Turbo was pretty free of issues but my Abarth has had a lot of small irritating poo poo happen, for example my passenger side side skirt peeled away from the body, my passenger side fog lamp fell out of the socket (still haven't tackled that, requires the front bumper to be removed), and my charge side intake hose literately blew off of my throttle body under WOT, had to take the battery and tray out to put that back on. That's only a small taste of the issues I've had, so like I said; glad I have a warranty.
drat that's concerning, I know most turbo cars come from factory with somewhat loose hose clamps. I really need to check mine, the amount of intercooler piping is nuts. Do you happen to have a strange almost supercharger sounding whine coming from the throttle body area of the engine under wot? So far thats the only off thing I hear not sure if i should be concerned.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

for example my passenger side side skirt peeled away from the body,

This is starting to happen slightly on my 14, is that a thing that they'll fix under factory warranty?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I know most turbo cars come from factory with somewhat loose hose clamps.
"Most turbo cars" sure as gently caress don't.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

2013 Abarth checking in.

7300 miles
Had a tire pressure sensor that had to be reflashed.
The paint quality on the body and wheels is awful.
Side skirt is gonna be repaired soon.
People call me a fag/make fun of my car.

I love my car and I'm gonna start modding it this Christmas :getin:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Cactrot posted:

This is starting to happen slightly on my 14, is that a thing that they'll fix under factory warranty?

Yeah they had mine in and out in a day, most likely your dealer will schedule something with a local bodyshop to take care of it so expect to make an appointment and have your car in the full day but it's warranty work thank god. Edit: it's actually a documented issue w/FCA but they won't recall the side skirts because that costs $$$ and figure most owners will fix it themselves.

Nitrox posted:

Yeah sounded like a gunshot and I was 99.9% sure I blew my engine because it was so down on power running w/out boost, it happened 6 blocks from my house so I limped it home and found out what it was after a spot check with a flashlight. Definitely not supposed to happen :argh:

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Do you happen to have a strange almost supercharger sounding whine coming from the throttle body area of the engine under wot? So far thats the only off thing I hear not sure if i should be concerned.

Is yours stock? If you have a aftermarket intake you'll hear it more clearly because it's the turbo whine, if you get a Eurocompulsion V2 like I have it makes it sounds like a airplane taking off under WOT. Nothing to worry about, these turbos run like 21lbs+ stock boost so it's natural to hear the whine through the intake. You can barely hear the turbo spool up in my Husband's Fiesta ST.

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 18, 2015

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Whoa alternate universe here... My wife has the Abarth and for a while I owned a Fiesta ST....

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Is yours stock? If you have a aftermarket intake you'll hear it more clearly because it's the turbo whine, if you get a Eurocompulsion V2 like I have it makes it sounds like a airplane taking off under WOT. Nothing to worry about, these turbos run like 21lbs+ stock boost so it's natural to hear the whine through the intake. You can barely hear the turbo spool up in my Husband's Fiesta ST.

Its stock, the only thing different about it is that its an automatic .

Nitrox posted:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2654420

:shrug:

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Cant wait for the snow to hit, the car drives very different with the blizzaks.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I got rid of my Abarth a few months ago but I have this:

http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=114_125_319&product_id=1320

Sitting around if anyone is interested. Magneti Marelli Go Pedal and Piggy Back ECU. It makes the car a hell of a lot of fun.

I also have a set of OEM head, marker, and tail lights too.

If there's any interest I'll make a SA Mart thread and/or PM me. I'm not looking for anywhere near retail on this stuff since it's just collecting dust.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Friend has a 12MY 500 with the 6-speed auto.

Are there any known issues with the transmission? From the way she described a problem she's having, it sounds like the car is not shifting out of first.

ickna
May 19, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Friend has a 12MY 500 with the 6-speed auto.

Are there any known issues with the transmission? From the way she described a problem she's having, it sounds like the car is not shifting out of first.

Is she shifting into D or going into +\- for the manual shift mode?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
She (and her boyfriend) claims there's no +/- option. I think they're lying liars, so I'll double check.

Yep, they are lying liars. She still wants to take it to a shop, though.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 22, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shrapnig posted:

I got rid of my Abarth a few months ago but I have this:

http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=114_125_319&product_id=1320

Sitting around if anyone is interested. Magneti Marelli Go Pedal and Piggy Back ECU. It makes the car a hell of a lot of fun.

I also have a set of OEM head, marker, and tail lights too.

If there's any interest I'll make a SA Mart thread and/or PM me. I'm not looking for anywhere near retail on this stuff since it's just collecting dust.

Just PM'd you.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh, NOW she says that when it happened, it stayed at 4000 rpm even with her foot off the gas so something is definitely weird there.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So, you linked a post, where a guy complains that his modified, 7-year old car with more than factory boost levels has a slight leak in turbo plumbing? Is that supposed to support the original statement of "most turbo cars" having lose hose clamps? Get the gently caress out

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

totalnewbie posted:

Oh, NOW she says that when it happened, it stayed at 4000 rpm even with her foot off the gas so something is definitely weird there.

If she's using manual shift; duh the car will hold gear.

If she's using auto shift; if it's in sport mode the engine will hang momentarily before upshifting in any gear when she lifts off the pedal. If she's driving aggressive out of sport mode the ecu is programmed to hang the 1st and 2nd gears very briefly for better low speed power delivery, 3rd-6th are programmed to shift up as soon as possible for that sweet sweet mpg. The only thing she should be concerned about is if it's 'banging' into 2nd during acceleration or 1st during deceleration. If she is having issues with the car that doesn't fall into what I described get it checked out, there may be a BCM module flash she needs as FIAT is constantly updating the software in these things. Source: I used to sell these cars.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So I finally found a way to get a 500 now that my girlfriend's Fiesta was totaled and she has signed onto the idea of getting one for herself. She can't afford a new one, so will be buying used and I've got her interested in an Abarth as an option.

Do y'all know of any year-specific issues with the 500's, including the Abarths? All I've really seen are complaints from JDPower and random forums post from sites I don't regularly read.

The used market is limited, compared to other comparable cars, although I'm in Houston so there's at least enough that she's found a couple she likes.

edit

Like this one: https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/5314492054.html

(although she's not a big fan of the racing stripe down the hood/trunk)

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 2, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sir Tonk posted:

So I finally found a way to get a 500 now that my girlfriend's Fiesta was totaled and she has signed onto the idea of getting one for herself. She can't afford a new one, so will be buying used and I've got her interested in an Abarth as an option.

Do y'all know of any year-specific issues with the 500's, including the Abarths? All I've really seen are complaints from JDPower and random forums post from sites I don't regularly read.

The used market is limited, compared to other comparable cars, although I'm in Houston so there's at least enough that she's found a couple she likes.

edit

Like this one: https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/5314492054.html

(although she's not a big fan of the racing stripe down the hood/trunk)

I have a 2013 Abarth. Here are some things to consider that I've realized as I've driven the car.

- The back seat is a lie. It's a two seater car unless your friends are all little people or Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump.

- The bluetooth on 2012 and 2013 does not allow you to listen to music via Bluetooth. You'll have to plug in a USB or AUX cable.

- The turning radius on the car is hilarious. You'll feel like you'r driving a school bus when you perform a three point turn. Normal 500's do not have this issue - just the Abarth. It's not a huge deal to me and I've learned how to adjust the way I parallel park and whatnot, but it might piss some people off.

- Abarths have a pretty active modding community. Be sure to ask what all has been done to the car since you're buying used. If it's a clueless dealer rather than a private party, check for things under the hood like piggyback ECU's, modified intakes, etc. It's just good to know what you're getting into.

- The leather seats are much better than the cloth seats, in my opinion, but that's just a personal preference.

- If your girlfriend listens to a lot of music then try to find one with the Beats audio package. It's pretty good if you want a better than factory stereo. Comes with a little amp and subwoofer that live in the hatch. Audiophiles won't be impressed, but it's good for the common man.

As far as issues with specific years, I stayed away from 2012's because that was the first US version of the car and there seemed to be more issues with the first generation. My car only has 8k miles so I can't speak to the long term reliability of the car, but here are the issues I've had so far:

- Tire pressure sensor went bad. Fiat fixed this for me.

- The paint quality on the car is pretty bad. I have a lot of little chips on the front and my white rims are chipped all over the place.

- The driver's side window rattles a lot. Not sure if Fiat will fix that or not.

- The molding/skirt on the side of the car is starting to come loose on one side. Going to have Fiat look at this when I take the care in for service. From what I've read online, they will fix it.

All pretty minor stuff.

Overall I love the car. It's my daily driver and the only other person who ever rides with me is my wife. The car is really controversial for some reason. People either love it or call me gay for owning "a girl's car", but I guess that's less of a concern for your girlfriend :haw: It definitely turns heads and is a conversation starter. I've probably had 20 or 30 strangers talk to me about the car and I've only owned it since this summer.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the Abarth.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Ehud posted:

- If your girlfriend listens to a lot of music then try to find one with the Beats audio package. It's pretty good if you want a better than factory stereo. Comes with a little amp and subwoofer that live in the hatch. Audiophiles won't be impressed, but it's good for the common man.
This also effectively kills your rear hatch space. Even the amp in base audio config is annoying as hell when trying to get a bunch of stuff in there.

The bose system is apparently crap, but I think you could get a lot out of upgrading the base system with a new amp, drivers and an under-seat sub. With the panel vibrations and the exhaust sound dominating everything, I can't justify trying it myself though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ehud posted:

I have a 2013 Abarth. Here are some things to consider that I've realized as I've driven the car.

:words:

Thanks, that was super helpful. I'll keep y'all posted.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
To add on/correct;

'12-'14 didn't have bluetooth audio streaming
'12 is the first MY of the Abarth, no major issues except fit and finish, everything else should have been taken care of under warranty by the PO
'12-'13 is the most mod-able years for the Abarth, a lot of tuners are falling behind on the '14+ Abarths especially when it comes to handheld tuners
'15 is the first year of the LCD dash and the heat-shield on the turbo is different, as is the Manifold Vacuum Sensor location and as such a lot of the accessories and performance parts have to closely scrutinized before making the plunge
'14 was the first year that the "Turbo" blacked out lights were offered on the Abarth, as with many parts on these cars the Turbo lights can be retrofitted to any MY Abarth with no issue whatsoever, beware of eBay sellers however since a lot of the lights sold on eBay have been damaged during removal from the donor car
All MY Abarths have an issue with the windows being out of alignment with the top of the door frame, it's hit-and-miss as to which one you'll wind up with but my '13 Turbo had a driver window rattle and my '15 does not. Luck of the draw I suppose.
As is mentioned backseats are useless, I'm 5'9" and I can't have an adult sitting behind me comfortably for more than a quick run around town, road trips with more than 2 occupants is really out of the question
All MY Abarths have a mis-alignment on the hood, you can simply bend the corners in and it'll fit flush with no rubbing, did this to both my Turbo and Abarth
Pay special attention to the side skirts, if you notice any peeling make sure to get that fixed as part of your deal, make them put it on the Due Bill no matter what
The front bumper may show sag between the front fenders, this is sadly normal as the bumper is held on by 6 plastic trim clips and 4 screws, the screws are located in the wheel wells and as such have no bearing on the droop of the bumper so if the front end has ever bottomed out you can tell immediately
The mirror caps are massive and as such you may notice whistling at highway speeds, this is normal, they are also stupid easy to remove to repaint/wrap/plasti-dip
The front bumper is prone to rock chips and damage since it is relatively flat, pay special attention to just above the Abarth badge on the front bumper as well, if it's digging into the paint and chipping it FIAT will repaint your entire front bumper under warranty
The stock intercoolers are kind of a joke and a very popular mod is to get a front mount intercooler, they're inexpensive and fairly easy to install by yourself. You will notice an improvement over stock and there will be far less heat-soak after highway trips or hard pulls
The Abarth has a 3-stage ESC, it is ON, press the button once for PARTIALLY OFF and hold the button for roughly 10 seconds and you will hear a chime/see an indicator in the dash that it is FULLY OFF, turn traction control off and you're now essentially in track mode.
Audio upgrades are a pain in the rear end because the speakers are behind large trim panels that have clips that break easily, on top of that the stock speakers are riveted into the chassis so you will have to drill them out then mount your new speakers, luckily the AMP and/or Sub is easy since it's designed for one anyways. Beats is great for the little care and BOSE is kinda meh, tbh all sound systems in this car are mediocre at best but get the job done. Crutchfield has the hookup if you feel the need.

Personal opinion; the '13 and '14 are the best MY for the Abarth, the '12 shouldn't be passed on just because it's a 1st MY but the '14 is by far the best MY. The '15 is a joke and has a lot of technical issues, mine has been in the shop a lot, in fact I get to pick it up tomorrow after being in the shop since Nov 9th for the Blue & Me, 4th or 5th attempted repair IIRC. I used to sell these little bastards and have owned both a Turbo and an Abarth so my knowledge on them is pretty vast, ask me anything if you need to.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Great post! Covered a lot of stuff I forgot or didn't know about.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Ehud posted:

- The leather seats are much better than the cloth seats, in my opinion, but that's just a personal preference.

One thing I've noticed with my 13 is that the leather is very... soft. I've owned a number of cars with leather seats, and the Fiat's are by far the most prone to scratching. If you have dogs or routinely drive with semi-sharp things in the cabin, I'd avoid the leather. I'm not even sure this is a quality thing so much as a conscious materials choice.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That's awesome, thanks so much Tanz-Kommandant.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:siren: GOOD NEWS EVERYONE :siren:

ALL 2016 Fiat 500s now have the uConnect 3.0 now, the cursed Blue&Me is GONE! :bravo: This is fantastic news as Blue&Me was completely dogshit. And what a fascinating update to the 500, could we possibly see the uConnect 6.5 NAV unit in our little shoe-boxes soon? Along with the updated radio we see an extremely modest price increase of only $80 over the previous model year and in a move which has been waited on quite possibly since the first 2012 Abarths were ordered - Fiat has expanded the color line-up to the little Scorpion to now include Celeste Blue (light blue), Rhino (dark gray), Grigio Cenre (light gray) and Giallo Moderna Perla (Modern Pearl Yellow), yay choices! New 2016 wheel options are in the works as well with one such already having been released; factory bronze powder coated 17" rims which I've seen on a Pearl Yellow Abarth and it was a pretty nifty combination.

New Colors;

uConnect Pop/Abarth -

Closeup -

Rimzz

Sir Tonk posted:

That's awesome, thanks so much Tanz-Kommandant.

You're welcome Sir

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
Excellent news, I think im most excited about the colours, a stripper model yellow abarth is neat. The new forged wheel colour looks great too. I am not to keen on the tiny new radio, lots of wasted space. Overall its interesting that they did not do the eu headlight and taillight refresh aswell.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
Chrysler is buying back my '15 because of all the Blue&Me issues I've had (46 Days of shop time, 5 fixes, still have issues) and I'm tempted to get a Pearl Yellow Abarth and do a Tribute Ferrari clone. I already own the badges since I was gonna do it to my '15 Rosso Abarth but then I started getting all the radio issues and held off, glad I did. I agree that wasted space is an issue with the uConnect 3.0 which makes me think a uConnect 6.5 is in the works, if not it'll make aftermarket decks easier to install since it's already a double din setup so good foresight there by Fiat since the 12-15 cars were single din and ungodly expensive to upgrade to a double din radio.

I feel that Fiat missed taking a shot with the '16 Euro updated Head/Tail lights which is disappointing because the tail lights look badass with the body color centers but who knows why the did that. Word is they were also going to use the MTX510 DCT from the Tribute/695 Models and we would have had an automatic Abarth with paddle shifters and blistering quick shift-times but they scrapped it because of the heat they took from the USDM market for using a DCT in the '14 500L and everybody thought their cars were broken since America isn't used to how DCT transmissions feel. What a goddamn shame. :eng99:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Now I want a blue Abarth with a white stripe.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Oh boy my wife's gonna be so pissed....
She has a '13 sport in yellow she traded in on her '15 Abarth. She was basically in tears for days that she couldn't get yellow as a color on it.

drat YOU ITALIAN BASTARDS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is this thread dead? Yesterday I took delivery of my 2016 500x Lounge :grin: and am starting to look around for must-have after-market stuff, like a spare wheel, maybe a mat for the cargo area. Any other 500x people with advice?

• Locked thread