Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

travisray2004 posted:

So what's the current situation with these? Are they being sold at select Chrysler dealerships until a Fiat network is in place or do they already have a few Fiat dealers set up?

Existing Chrysler stores in selected markets could apply for a Fiat franchise; I think they gave out about 160 of them. There's a list on Fiat's website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

heat posted:

I need to find a part time job or start a meth lab or something in preparation for that day

You need a meth lab for a 20K car?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You need a second bathtub meth cooker to pay for it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DJ Commie posted:

You need a second bathtub meth cooker to pay for the speeding tickets.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wouldn't if I didn't have to pay 400/month in student loans!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

heat posted:

I wouldn't if I didn't have to pay 400/month in student loans!

That sucks bigtime.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
The NY Times has an article on how the 500 had to be modified for the North American market:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/automobiles/27LIST.html?_r=1&src=twrhp&pagewanted=print

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I guarantee the Abarth won't be under $30k

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

travisray2004 posted:

Doubtful, unless they're going to build them in very small numbers. You'd have to be absolutely batshit insane to drop anywhere close to $30k on a performance-oriented FWD sub-compact...

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Geoj posted:

Doubtful, unless they're going to build them in very small numbers. You'd have to be absolutely batshit insane to drop anywhere close to $30k on a performance-oriented FWD sub-compact...

Pretty sure JCW minis go for about that.

E: Yep, exactly 30 large for the hardtop, and 36+ for convertible/clubman

I also doubt that Abarths will be anything but built in very small numbers. If they even make it over here.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

el topo posted:

The NY Times has an article on how the 500 had to be modified for the North American market:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/automobiles/27LIST.html?_r=1&src=twrhp&pagewanted=print

The American engineers moseyed on over to Italy and added a big gulp cupholder, automatic, upgraded fat seats and A/C. :911:

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

MATLAB 1988 posted:

The American engineers moseyed on over to Italy and added a big gulp cupholder, automatic, upgraded fat seats and A/C. :911:

Don't forget cruise control! That list really is everything I think of when I think of American cars.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

travisray2004 posted:

Pretty sure JCW minis go for about that.

E: Yep, exactly 30 large for the hardtop, and 36+ for convertible/clubman

Oh, you mean an overpriced version of an already overpriced car?

More proof that people with money will buy anything :suicide:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Geoj posted:

Oh, you mean an overpriced version of an already overpriced car?

Since when is a 30-$40,000 car for "people with money"?

It's up there but it's not like you're using a Tesla as a backup generator.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Geoj posted:

No doubt, especially when the Mazdaspeed3 and GTI are so much cheaper. I love the Abarth, but I only love it for the same price as a MS3. Anything more and I'd get the Mazda. A GTI killer in the U.S. may end up giving Fiat the credibility they need to expand their offerings.

^^ $30,000 is a heck of a lot of money to average folks. Where you come from, a $30,000 car may be considered cheap, but most people in the U.S. barely take that home in a year after taxes.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 26, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

oRenj9 posted:

No doubt, especially when the Mazdaspeed3 and GTI are so much cheaper. I love the Abarth, but I only love it for the same price as a MS3. Anything more and I'd get the Mazda. A GTI killer in the U.S. may end up giving Fiat the credibility they need to expand their offerings.

^^ $30,000 is a heck of a lot of money to average folks. Where you come from, a $30,000 car may be considered cheap, but most people in the U.S. barely take that home in a year after taxes.

Hardly, I'd love to have a $30,000 car, but I wouldn't consider that to be anything to write home about. That's enough to maaaaybe buy you a bottom of the mill C-class (also, something I'd love to have). All I was saying is that a $30,000 vehicle probably doesn't mean poo poo to true "people with money"

E: jesus, I can't type tonight.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

oRenj9 posted:

This. The only people who are going to buy a turbo FWD compact that doesn't even make 200 HP and costs over $30k are either stupid or have money to burn.

travisray2004 posted:

Hardly, I'd love to have a $30,000 car, but I wouldn't consider that to be anything to write home about. That's enough to maaaaybe buy you a bottom of the mill C-class (also, something I'd love to have). All I was saying is that a $30,000 vehicle probably doesn't mean poo poo to true "people with money"

I didn't say they're buying it to show off their status. They're buying it so their wife has a "cute" car to drive to the salon/spa/grocery store or for their undeserving spoiled teenage children.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

travisray2004 posted:

A Cooper S starts around $23k and given how the 500 is priced relative to the regular Cooper, I would expect the Abarth to be around $21k.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Geoj posted:

I didn't say they're buying it to show off their status. They're buying it so their wife has a "cute" car to drive to the salon/spa/grocery store or for their undeserving spoiled teenage children.

Oh yeah, definitely agree with you there.

hedge posted:

A Cooper S starts around $23k and given how the 500 is priced relative to the regular Cooper, I would expect the Abarth to be around $21k.

True, maybe I'm daft. I had the impression of the Abarth being a very low production vehicle, which in turn drives up prices.

Pretty sure I had the Abarth SS in mind.
E: NM, don't mind me:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q1/2009_fiat_500_abarth-first_drive_review

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 26, 2011

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay then you must have been sitting in a preproduction model or you're just misremembering. It's a great car on a great chassis that handles well and someday, someday, will come with this
Let me summarize it again: worse fit and finish quality than Fit/Mini/Fiesta, lovely fat tall seats and awful sitting position, high price that isn't justified by anything but the car's gimmick factor. Also, abnormal height for it's footprint.

It's a car that will be sold in limited numbers to people who stood in line to buy a $600 iPhone. Mini found a niche marked so hopefully this one will to. But comparing it to other cars in the price segment is just silly. Lets give it a year or two and see.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nitrox posted:

Also, abnormal height for it's footprint.

What are you talking about? All small cars are tall and upright, that's how you get an acceptable amount of space in there.

To be honest it sounds like you've just never been in a modern small car before which is understandable as North America doesn't really have any. Remember the 500 is a size class below a Fit or Fiesta (more similar to an i10 or Aygo or Micra)

eames
May 9, 2009

I can’t wait to see the faces of all the "$30k is way too much for a sub-compact car!"-people when Porsche comes out with a small $60k city car and it will sell like hot cakes. Only a matter of time.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

eames posted:

I can’t wait to see the faces of all the "$30k is way too much for a sub-compact car!"-people when Porsche comes out with a small $60k city car and it will sell like hot cakes. Only a matter of time.

They aren't going to do it at 60k. I'd believe 40. Were they to make a city car, it would be cheaper than a Boxster.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

eames posted:

£30,000 sure but getting up there for a Toyota re-badge

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

dissss posted:

£30,000 sure but getting up there for a Toyota re-badge

I still can't believe this wasn't a joke. Aren't they going to make this?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Yes they are. They are still trying to position it as "The city car for the connoisseur Aston Martin owner who is willing to pay a premium for quality" rather than "Oh crap if we don't get our average CO2 emissions down across our range we're going to go bankrupt from all the fines", mind you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Is there anything special about it beyond the badging and leather?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VideoTapir posted:

Is there anything special about it beyond the badging and leather?

No. Absolutely nothing.

Mechanically, it's a bog-standard Toyota iQ.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I read a while back that the Aston Cygnet (iQ) was only going to be available to established Aston vehicle owners but apparently that's not the case anymore, instead established owners simply take priority over others.

It's mainly just a ploy to get them around European manufacturer's emissions standards.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 26, 2011

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KozmoNaut posted:

No. Absolutely nothing.

Mechanically, it's a bog-standard Toyota iQ.

That is a load of crap.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

VideoTapir posted:

That is a load of crap.
Agreed. That's some blatant GM-league badge engineering and the epitome of an anti-halo car.

They'll sell about 5 of them to all the ballers out there who only look at the badge on a car and not what it's attached to.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Imagine some douche wannabe player showing up to a party or something and flashing his keys everywhere, "ooh, he's got an Aston, he must be loaded". Perhaps he succeeds in picking up a chick who thinks she's hit the jackpot and bagged a totally loaded dude, she's set for life and all that.

And then they go outside and see that piece of crap.

"Wanna go for a ride in the Aston, baby? :q:"

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I can't wait to see all the Aston rip off bodykits that will be made once the Scion iQ comes out.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Imagine some douche wannabe player showing up to a party or something and flashing his keys everywhere, "ooh, he's got an Aston, he must be loaded". Perhaps he succeeds in picking up a chick who thinks she's hit the jackpot and bagged a totally loaded dude, she's set for life and all that.

And then they go outside and see that piece of crap.

I think I'd laugh more if said player used a line like, "James Bond drives Aston Martins. Mine's outside, want to go for a ride?" Que disappointment as she steps outside and the valet pulls up in his Toyota runabout. She may have never seen a single Bond movie, but she'll definitely know he never drove one of those.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

At least it is a coupe :q:.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Francis Baconator posted:

I think I'd laugh more if said player used a line like, "James Bond drives Aston Martins. Mine's outside, want to go for a ride?" Que disappointment as she steps outside and the valet pulls up in his Toyota runabout. She may have never seen a single Bond movie, but she'll definitely know he never drove one of those.
You could be a real player, talk about your James Bond car, and pull around in your Ford Focus (yeah I know it was a Mondeo in the movie).

eames
May 9, 2009

Now that you mention it, I’m 99% sure that Bond will drive a Cygnet in the next movie.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

eames posted:

Now that you mention it, I’m 99% sure that Bond will drive a Cygnet in the next movie.
I wonder how much Aston paid for that to happen...Clearly, the producers of that movie are in league with lowhigh-rent ballers.
:q::respek::whatup:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I wonder how much Aston paid for that to happen...Clearly, the producers of that movie are in league with lowhigh-rent ballers.
:q::respek::whatup:

It's the appropriate choice in the middle of the global financial crisis. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Not like anybody would notice it's an iQ rebadge given the cram-100-shots-into-one-scene editing in the last Bond movie. The action scenes were like watching ADHD made manifest, completely ruined the movie for me as it's much more pronounced on the big screen than in the little youtube window.

ASTONBADGEbadguyinalfaTRUCKHORNclutchpedalVROOOMscreeechBRAKESpowerslide
GUYINTRUCKsharpmetalGUNFIREshrapnelGEARCHANGEexplosionANOTHEREXPLOSION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXJiYV9K77Q

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 27, 2011

• Locked thread