Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eames
May 9, 2009

I saw a Fiat Abarth 695 while driving through munich today, the one that Ferrari collaborated on.
I loved the look of it from the pictures I saw, but in reality it looks really over the top and borderline :rice:.

And that car should have at least 240 hp. I thought it was somewhat embarrassing when he boldly accelerated, switched to the third lane and had to make room for some random guy in a 3.0L diesel A4 Avant. :colbert:

eames fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I can’t wait to see the faces of all the "$30k is way too much for a sub-compact car!"-people when Porsche comes out with a small $60k city car and it will sell like hot cakes. Only a matter of time.

eames
May 9, 2009

Francis Baconator posted:

I think I'd laugh more if said player used a line like, "James Bond drives Aston Martins. Mine's outside, want to go for a ride?" Que disappointment as she steps outside and the valet pulls up in his Toyota runabout. She may have never seen a single Bond movie, but she'll definitely know he never drove one of those.

Now that you mention it, I’m 99% sure that Bond will drive a Cygnet in the next movie.

eames
May 9, 2009

What the 695 Tributo Ferrari should have been. :)

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/21/awesome-mid-engine-rwd-abarth-500-motore-centrale-revealed-at-t/

eames
May 9, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

- steering was awful. Even with the SPORT mode turned on, it was extremely numb. This was probably the number 1 negative for me. Bizarrely, the saleswoman claimed that SPORT mode came in a burst, and you had to keep activating it when you wanted to use it, ala KERS in F1. Obviously that's totally wrong. But she also said that leaving it in SPORT mode killed fuel economy, a fact which she claimed a rep from NY had corroborated.

I think this is a Fiat-thing. Not just the steering feeling but also the suspension setup. My friends 500 Abarth really didn’t feel much different from my sister’s 2007 Grande Punto, which I consider the worst handling/steering and most boring car on this planet. It’s like the engineers decided to fit a dead fish somewhere between the steering shaft and tie-bars.

Considering US cars are going to be set up even softer than the EU cars, I have no idea how anyone can tout these cars to be "fun to drive". I suspect that these people would probably have a permanent orgasm while operating a GTI or Cooper S.

I’m really curious how the MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde is like. All the Alfas I’ve driven so far were 40+ years old (and a total blast). ;)

My secret hope is that Fiat will go "oh hey, just kidding, this is the real Abarth" by presenting a 270hp rear-engined version of it, but who am I kidding. Until then it just doesn’t love up to it’s awesome brand with an even more awesome history. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

drewforty posted:

Drove my neighbors new 500 to pick up some sandwiches today. It's white on red cloth; I believe it's a "pop" trim. Here is a quick run down of my thoughts:

Final thoughts: I immediately felt like everyone around me was compensating for something, and I was glad I was sporting a 4-month beard. The white/cream/red made this 500 clearly the most feminine car I've dared to accept the keys of.

Sorry for the impromptu review. Just saw the thread for the first time and felt I should share.

This is a great review. I just drove a white/red '08 500 Lounge which is supposed to be my sister’s birthday surprise and I agree with every one of your points. This one is a manual 1.4L 16V and it didn’t feel dangerously slow at all, unlike the 875cc TwinAir which made me want to cut out a square hole in the floor pan and yell "Yabba dabba doo".

I can’t imagine Fiat will sell many of these cars to male customers. Everything about this car seems needlessly girly and cute on purpose. A shame, really.
Speaking of which… ;-*

• Locked thread