Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Let me start by saying I'm 100% inexperienced at editing, encoding, etc., so theres very likely something incredibly obvious that I'm missing or doing wrong, but I'm losing my mind here working on a project for my parents, and I can't find any solution online. I would be crazy thankful for any help.

I finished editing together a bunch of family vacation footage in premiere, came out to about 1h15m of video, however when I try to export I just keep running into problems. I'm exporting H.264, 23.976fps, ntsc, 1080, VBR 2 pass, a bit rate between 18-30 (tried a few different settings to see if it would work) since I wanted to have a copy for them to archive if it needs to be transferred down the line. However after it gets done spending the 2 hours rendering, it spits out an unreadable file between 25kb and 3gb, when the estimated file size is around 10gb to 16gb. If I do small sample clips, which I was doing to compare the quality of various settings on the final picture, it works just fine, no problem. I don't get any errors during the encoding, it all seems to go fine. I can not figure out why this is happening. Is there some limit to the file size that can be created or something? I tried a few different setting before settling on h.264, which looked the best of anything I tried, such as mpeg2. Now, with the mpeg2 it rendered the full video just fine, the output file was perfectly readable with a file about 13gb, but no matter what settings I played with I couldn't get it to look as nice as the h.264 so it was kind of a no go.

Maybe its really stupid to begin with I'm making the file so large and thats overkill for a backup? Or maybe theres some combination of settings I couldn't find to provide a better option for a backup quality one before I encode smaller manageable ones to send to them? The original video was avchd with something like, 26mbps, so I wanted to try and lose as little quality as possible with a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU