Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Postponing Camel posted:

I'm on a PC laptop that's 6 or so years old, mainly using Windows. If you have any tips on what I should go for let me know :)

I recently spent several weeks evaluating Sony Movie Studio 13 and 13 Platinum, Cyberlink Power Director 12, Corel Visual Studio X7, Microsoft Movie Maker and Video Pad trial and free versions. Time on each was minimum 3 hours and I completed at least one video. My system is an i3-2100, 8GB ram, onboard video; except for Cyberlink, I had no trouble editing up to 10 minute videos at 720p. I tested a few 1080p clips and didn't have any issues but never made a project from them.

The tldr version is I decided on Corel VS because it is the most intuitive, has the most extras (music, transitions, etc.), has the most modern interface, and was the fastest (for me) at putting together videos. Get SP1, it fixes several dumb and irritating bugs that lead to crashes (mostly related to importing video). [note: VS took me a few extra minutes to get started as the interface is a little different than the others but it's worth it]

Longer summary:
-Cyberlink PD is a resource hog and was the only software in the group that slowed my computer, it was also unstable and frequently crashed. To add insult to injury I kept experiencing a save bug where it would go through the motions of saving but not actually save so when it inevitably crashed more work was lost than expected. But it is powerful and relatively easy to use.
-Sony MS 13 (the base program) is little better than MSMM, don't even bother.
-Sony MS 13 Plat was easy to use and fast at basic editing but slower once you move beyond the basics. Mostly because it is sparse on extras and there are no "auto" modes for visual editing, every tweak is manual although you can make your own presets. This program is rock solid stable, I never experienced a single crash.
-VideoPad (paid) is a good program, stable, easy to use, but way too expensive ($40). You could buy the previous version of Corel or Sony for less and get more.
-VideoPad (free) very stripped down version, maybe a tad better than MSMM.
-Microsoft Movie Maker (MSMM) another stripped down free editor, good for stringing pictures or videos together and little else.

All of these programs have 30 day trials, give them a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What is that effect common on British television where the edges are out of focus, the middle looks softened, and the vibrancy is pumped up? Gives it a plastic, toylike appearance. What all is going on there and is there a name for it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

thehustler posted:

Overused? :)

Not sure what specifically you mean, which shows in particular?

I've seen it on many British shows from Sherlock to Wheeler Dealers, most often on city shots with cars whizzing to and fro. If I can find a screenshot I'll post it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

PriorMarcus posted:

It's tilt shift. It's a camera technique, not an editing one.

Thank you. That led me to the process simulated in digital:
http://www.jimclarkdirect.com/Pages/Smallgantics.htm

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Karthe posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this, but I'm looking for intermediate video editing software recommendations for Windows, along the lines of Sony Movie Studio or Adobe Premier Elements. What would you guys recommend in the sub-$100 range? And I'm not all that attached to Adobe or Sony; however, the "best editing software" lists I find via Google don't have anything that look as usable as what Sony or Adobe offers.

The last editing software I purchased was Sony Movie Studio HD 9 back in 2010. I looked to upgrade to the latest version since I get a discount for having 9, but apparently Sony ruined everything with their touchscreen-oriented Movie Studio Platinum 13 - reviews for it have been pretty harsh on it.

I did a month trial on Movie Studio, Power Director and Corel Video Studio before settling on Corel. I found it more intuitive once you get the thought process behind the UI and it comes with a buttload of effects, transitions, graphics, etc.; plus some auto fixes and presets missing in the others. Sony had a few nice features but editing took a lot longer than Corel. Power Director is similiar to Sony but is a major resource hog and was very unstable. PD also had a save bug that pretended to save but didn't so I lost a lot of work when it crashed. Each had benefits over the others but Corel works best for me. I did nt try elements but have used an older version of premiere. Download the trials and check them out.