Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

bassguitarhero posted:

Then again they spent 3 weeks going back and forth with me on one film having "duplicate frames" and me not being able to fix it until they finally sent me a clip of the problem section wherein I realized that the duplicate frames they were complaining about was because the film was *animated* and the animator worked at 12fps and doubled them because that's what you do. The whole thing has made my head hurt.

This kind of thing makes me want to scream. I had a good experience with that when I was dealing with a negative cutter once. I had an odd flash frame that I actually wanted on the workprint, and he called just to make sure it was there on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

bassguitarhero posted:

FCPX is not that bad, I had someone come to me for a fine edit and color correction for a short done entirely in FCPX and I got the hang of it in an hour or do. I think it's easier to cut your teeth with a project already in working condition so I'd look at opening up something existing or using an app called 7 to FCPX to convert a Final Cut Pro 7 project to X and then start playing with it

I think the biggest hangup is how different FCPX handles file management compared to 7.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Has anyone ever encountered the flashing green frame issue on Premiere? This is specifically happening on CS6 with a Mac Laptop (with Yosemitie). The video this student is trying to import into Premiere plays fine in quicktime, but when it's brought into CS6 it starts the flashing green frame nonsense. I don't believe it's a sequence problem because it happens in the preview window as well.

Looking at the file, it's a quicktime 29.97i file. Why it's interlaced, I have no idea because it came from a camera that shouldn't be shooting interlaced. I have a feeling someone gave this student the file after encoding it in Media Encoder, and that it was possibly shot in 24, but I don't have access to the raw footage, so I can only guess.

I've searched this all over and there doesn't seem to be a good answer anywhere, just un-resolved threads.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

1st AD posted:

Is Mercury engine running on hardware or software rendering? Does the file flash green when stepping through frame by frame, or only on playback? What codec is the file using?

1) On the software side.

2) You see it when stepping through.

3) It says avc1 in the properties. The department that is handing the student these files is opening the memory card, opening the avchd package, and exporting through QuickTime. Yes, I know that is just wrong on many levels.

Edit: I'm having a feeling that I need to re-encode this video file outside of premiere as Pro Res or h264 and then bring it back in. Now that I know what his codec is, when I search for it, it seems to bring up a constant stream of green flickering issues in google.

Max fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 13, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Max posted:

1) On the software side.

2) You see it when stepping through.

3) It says avc1 in the properties. The department that is handing the student these files is opening the memory card, opening the avchd package, and exporting through QuickTime. Yes, I know that is just wrong on many levels.

Edit: I'm having a feeling that I need to re-encode this video file outside of premiere as Pro Res or h264 and then bring it back in. Now that I know what his codec is, when I search for it, it seems to bring up a constant stream of green flickering issues in google.

Nope, my theory didn't hold water. Also, this video file is so hosed up it's causing Avidmux to poo poo the bed. I don't know what to do about it.