Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

butterypancakes posted:

That seems like a huge over simplification. Watch something like White Christmas and then watch Breathless. They are very different films, only 6 years apart, but it's not the pace of the cut that makes them different. For the most part Breathless is slower.

There are plenty of films and TV shows that aren't cut fast. Bullitt is just as fast as many action films today.

Yeah, but he said "the language of editing", not the pace. We are still using techniques from Griffith and Welles, no one has really invented much in the way of new editing.

I guess you could say something like Timecode, where you have a split-screen real-time edit, but that is more of a gimmick than a new style of editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

1st AD posted:

Excuse me sir, I make liberal use of the page peel, star wipe, and water ripple transitions, I'd like to see Griffith's editor do THAT :colbert:

But what about the naked lady wipes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1OVWfmynPw&t=48s

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

butterypancakes posted:

Yeah, they only care about iDevices, that's why they spent lots of time and money rewriting FCP from scratch. It'll be updated, if it doesn't work for you then use 7. My main client still has 6, it's fine.

Not sure why people are so disappointed, it's not ready, so don't use it yet.

The reason I am disappointed is that they have stopped selling new licenses for FCP 7. So if you didn't buy FCP 7 before this new unusable piece of poo poo came out, you are screwed for at least a year.

At work this isn't an issue, but I am in the planning stages for buying a new editing system at home, and now I am screwed.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

MrBond posted:

Apparently they've communicated some responses to David Pogue.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/professional-video-editors-weigh-in-on-final-cut-pro-x/

That isn't very helpful, you need a reporter who actually knows what the product is used for to ask the right questions.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Anyone care to give their input on an artsy music video I've been assembling? I haven't cut anything with any sincerity since two-year film school in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmKpR_xUHMM

It says Video Private, unavailable.