Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

http://vimeo.com/25421438

To quote a R3D post..."no OMF support , no xml out or in , no edl in/out , no r3d , no multi cam , no 3rd party device support , apparently some of these things are coming just not in version 1 today. no way to import a previous project yet"

You. Cant. Export. To. Tape.

Garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

sethsez posted:

Well ain't that some bullshit.

I have some hope for the future of FCPX, but there's no reason for it to have been released in this state. Nobody was chomping at the bit to pay $300 for a beta with significantly fewer features than the previous version.

If this doesn't get updated fast I could see it being more damaging to Apple's position in the editing world than if they had just gone another year without updates. I mean, that would have hurt too, but releasing a product that can't export to tape? That's actively pushing people to look for alternatives.

Everyone called them on this the moment it was introduced at NAB. I was there, people were at first excited and then got slowly more and more pissed as the presentation went on. In fact, as I was walking out, some guys who teach those Apple certification classes were yelling. And then there's the drunken AJA party afterwards...

Immediately after a select group of beta testers said 'you haven't seen it all... they haven't shown everything.' Guess what, they did. And now anyone who needs to do something like use Color, export an EDL, export an XML.. LAY TO TAPE... is left out.

This was the plan and everyone hoped we were just seeing the top layer. And now its out and people are still saying it. Its pretty hosed up when a major piece of professional software ships and its saving grace is 'I'm sure they'll make it better like the old version.' FCS 3 was a stop-gap as Premiere started to really get moving. This was supposed to be Apple's big answer to it. Instead, this is Apple showing that their pro-apps are going towards the Lion/IOS mentality of drag/drop/social media is king.

gently caress, gently caress, gently caress this software. It is unusable.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

FURTHERMORE I just talked to an old boss of mine who runs a facility of 20 machines.

They're all off the internet, because thats how people who operate real machines keep their poo poo together.. and they can't get to the software because you need to be logged in to the App Store to get it. And there's no volume licensing.

Then he said 'I guess we can't mix our spots in Pro Tools anymore because you can't OMF' so I guess mixing in FCPX is the only way to do this now.

This is so mindboggleing backwards I can't believe this has actually been published. Cool if you're a 5D kinda guy, but there's some of us who make broadcast work for a living...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

We already had a stopgap. It was Final Cut Studio 3. And immediately we were told - wait for what we have cooking. Then we get this new software and are immediately told - wait for what we have cooking.

Nobody wanted Apple to rush this. We were all waiting for 64 bit, full core/RAM support, the big Gamma issue fix, etc. Anyone- ANYONE - would have waiting another 6 months for all of this to be added. Instead, HUGE pieces of the software were removed. And don't say its legacy... XML is new poo poo. Having an external monitor to see what you are doing is kind of necessary. Authoring a DVD or Blu Ray is still a solid delivery format.

Anything needing color correction, protools mixdown, any external graphics apps timing, output to tape, is going to bypass this software.

Movies will no longer be cut on FCP. Commercials will no longer be cut on FCP.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Thing X used to be in FCP and now its gone
- A third party developer will surely make something to fix this
But you don't allow plugins

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

bassguitarhero posted:

You mean unlike all the third party plugins that were announced in the last couple days?

Yes the $500 Automatic Duck plugin to put functionality back into FCP that was taken out for no reason. So now your upgrade costs $800.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

HopWallace posted:

Not sure if this is already commonly known or if it's just a bunch of :tinfoil:, but here's an interesting theory, quoted from the Apple Support Communities Discussions Board:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3134732?tstart=0

While the inconsistencies in his argument have been addressed (Apple is not requiring an upgrade to Lion for the upgrade, and the more important counterpoint that 3rd party plugins have started to be released), I do think it illuminates a very possible and likely future of the product upon the release of Lion.

It just seems logical from Apple's business model, that with the release of Lion, the "fixed" FCP X will be also be released with a set of plugins that must be purchased separately through the app store.

Eventually it seems, the future of FCP is that Apple will only develop the foundation for the program, hence the low $300 tag, but the professional capacity of the program will rely almost entirely on plugins which will be available exclusively through their app store. Thus, the total cost of the program is completely at the discretion of the developer of said plugins. Apple spends nothing on developing the software, and gets to cash in on the program in the same way they've cashed in on the app store from all of their iDevices. Makes complete sense from a business standpoint.

If that was the case, they should be telling people this. The lack of communication from Apple is frustrating. Also, this will just balloon the price back up where its longer an upgrade, but a full software purchase.

What this does, though, is fragment the user base. I used to manage 20 machines that were tethered together by an XServe. Each machine had AE, but only some had various Trapcode plugins. So, we could only alter those specific projects on specific machines. Annoying.

Again, if this was the case, they should have put out a balls out 'full' version of the software, and then sold the base version with the ability to purchase add-ons. I can get down with that- some people don't need it all.

Meanwhile, Adobe has people all over the RED boards picking up everyone who is pissed off.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

butterypancakes posted:

It's been like 3 days. I don't know about you but my work has been getting done just the same since Wednesday.

I put things on HDCAM SR tape when finished and need an external monitor for color correction. So I don't use this product.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

bassguitarhero posted:

They're not gonna sell a two-tiered version of the software, they already have that - iMovie. Apple will patch in remaining functionality that production houses require, while new users will adopt it and learn it and work as it's essentially a public beta.

While you are right (according to some thoughts that are being posted about multicam on some other sites) the basic media directory structure is not going to play well in a multi user environment. You simply cannot share a project with anyone else, on any other system, without a complete re-write of the management.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

butterypancakes posted:

Is this some sort of dick measurement? I don't care.

Your workflow doesn't all ready include some sort of real finishing software? Automatic Duck your way on over to that.

No, I make TV spots. So I put them on tape, as thats the preferred delivery method. And I use Color to CC them. With the new software I cant, and now (if I were to use this software) I'd have to shell out 500 bucks to duck it to Resolve or something.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The slow audio scrub is really nice too. One of my favorite additions.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Chitin posted:

So Premiere CS7 seems to be taking everything people love about FCP7 and copying it onto its otherwise much more current and useable software. Essentially being all "hey Final Cut users who hate X: you now have no reason not to make the switch."

As a former FCP7 user who switched to Premiere at CS5.5 I am grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

Where are you getting the CS7 info from? I haven't seen any NAB updates and my shop is about to flip to Avid.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

powderific posted:

Is there a faster way to have the vectorscope in Premiere look at just one section of the image than using a garbage matte or zooming in with the motion effect? It's crazy time consuming to isolate sections of the image like that and it's making me a bit crazy. I just want to zoom in on a patch of skin or whatever.

Are you on a Mac? Use the built in DigitalColor Meter. Its in Apps/Utilities. It will go in and give you exact RGB values for pixels.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

You're never going to get those to read an FLV file.

What are you using to convert it?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Try downloading the Perian codecs and load that puppy into Compressor.

Then wait a few days.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Does anybody know of an extension for Premiere that will allow me to put editable text files into a Premiere window? Its always annoying to bounce back and forth between apps to address notes.

Sort of like http://www.premierebro.com/blog/pdfviewer-for-premiere-pro

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Found this quasi-extension, but the new update seems have killed a lot of its functionality.

https://andymees.wordpress.com/ppro-docs-viewer/

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anybody ever see this before when they pause playback? Its happening on all of my media, even generated bars. Frame exports come out fine, playback is fine.

http://imgur.com/HcOWtOY

Latest Premiere, 10.11, 15 inch Retina late 2013

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Yep, turned off MPE and that did it. Thanks!

Adobe keeps making new bugs with each release...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Any recommendations for 4-6 user NAS drives to use with Premiere?

And with that- anyone in the Prelude game yet?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Every once in a while I get booked on jobs which generate a large amount of media and require incredibly fast turnaround . Generally the workflow is:
5-8 shooters (FS-7, C300, F-55) are constantly handing off media throughout the day (about 1.5-2TB/day). This media needs to be injested, backed up and distributed to multiple junior editors via USB3/Thunderbolt drives. Selects are cut and Premiere sequences shared to a lead editor, who cuts :30 to :90 pieces for distribution within the next couple of hours.

My ideal workflow would have all the cards land on the NAS, then have shooters login to Prelude and cut their own selects while the lead editor begins to work from the jump. AEs would concurrently backup to a DLT system.

Edit: should mention that all media is cut Raw, and some of the media is 4k.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 21, 2016

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

10Gbe is probably the most robust - do you need a switch inline?

Thanks- this looks like a pretty solid solution.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Yeah we have a switch inline. You'll need it if you need to connect more than one machine.

It just occured to me, are these AEs connecting locally?

Yes, everything will be local.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Awesome. Thanks again for all of the help

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Soulex posted:

What do you do? Like what level of work?

I'm asking because I'm about to embark on getting my college degree in film editing at University San Diego thanks to the 9/11 GI Bill. I've posted here before, a few times I think, and have years of experience to back up everything just not the degree. I'm curious about the industry out in the civilian world since it's something I'll be joining soon.

I'm a freelance editor in NYC, so the level of work tends to jump around a bit. The particular job I was referencing above is for a small production company that specializes in sports content - with an emphasis on incredibly tight turnaround. Jobs like that typically bill out between 500-800, and will be anywhere from 12-15 hour days. However, most days I'm cutting at Vice doing documentary work. Pay can scale a little less depending on the level you're at. Also to note- many companies that are using/abusing the freelance and permalance model are now giving health benefits as long as you meet monthly hour requirements. Its quite a big change. Freelance is a little cutthroat, but once you are known as 'the person who doesn't gently caress things up' you can get steady work.

In terms of education- I have a crap 2 year associates degree in TV broadcast. Beyond early networking it has not been particularly handy. Its all about your resume and who you impress that drags you along to bigger and better gigs.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 8, 2016

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm looking to set up a network environment for (4) video editors to link to and work from. Mixed media up to 4k, editing with Premiere.

Anybody have any recommendations for a NAS or something similar?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

BonoMan posted:

How much storage do you need? We have this exact setup with a QNAP with 10GbE connections. Basically each machine's office is wired for 10GbE that goes to a 10GbE switch that's connected to the QNAP with 100TB of storage (50TB that backs up to a mirrored 50TB partition).

We work in Premiere with up to 6K footage pretty drat flawlessly. I'll get the exact models today.

I think 30tb is sufficient, as the material will be quickly backed up and pushed to another network.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Are there any major bugs in the latest Premiere update from April? I've searched around but haven't seen much and am about to pull the trigger on upgrading all my machines. OS 10.13.3

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

powderific posted:

I don't know when it started but our Premiere installs have a fun bug where audio doesn't work unless you solo/unsolo at least one track in your sequence every time you open a project.

jfc

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

its just surprising something as major as this didn't get patched up once they got back from nab

i mean the whole point of CC (besides taking my money) has been to have more update rollouts to fix this garbage

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

How's the July update for Premiere? My systems are still on 12.0.1 because of those weird audio bugs that came up with the NAB release.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

How's the July update for Premiere? My systems are still on 12.0.1 because of those weird audio bugs that came up with the NAB release.

Ran an export test on duplicate Macbook Pro 2017's - 1 min 4K footage out to 1920x1080 H.264 is done twice as fast with the newest software. Wow.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Both were OpenCL so I should probably give Metal a spin. Anyways somebody on the Premiere forums mentioned it and I was pretty bored today. Weird.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

How buggy is Premiere 19 and how is Mojave playing with it? Adobe boards have way too much static.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

what does everyone use for finding freelance gigs lately? i used to use a bunch of facebook groups and i'm looking for alternatives. staffmeup and mandy are the ones that i know simply from whats in my spam folder.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

MAM salesmen are relentless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone recommend some internal SSDs for cutting? I have an OWC raid box that needs to get put back together and I have a large multicam 4k project coming up.

Thanks!