Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

:siren: New temporary thread rule: No Spoilers, even Tagged :siren:

So, what do you suppose you get when you cross Resident Evil 4, Shenmue, and Twin Peaks?

The answer took the form of a game released in February of 2010; a low budget survival horror game from a small Japanese studio. Originally known as Rainy Woods in 2007, and given the name Red Seeds Profile upon release in Japan, the version of the game released in America was called Deadly Premonition. Developed by Access Games, and headed up by game director Hidetaka Suehiro (better known as SWERY), Deadly Premonition was only their second game. Their first game, Spy Fiction, was a stealth action game for the Playstation 2 released in 2004. Reviews of Spy Fiction were generally low. It seemed that the same would follow for Deadly Premonition, with one of the first reviews (from IGN) giving it a 2.0. However, a number of positive reviews followed, and the game started to gain attention from the wildly divergent scores it was getting.

The reason for the divergent scores is fairly clear once the game has been played through. The gameplay feels like something one would find in a last generation game, something like Resident Evil 4, but stiffer and bit awkward. The story may not appeal to those looking for a straight-laced murder mystery, as their is a lot of odd humor that probably won't be for everyone. The graphics look like they'd be entirely possible on an original XBox (720p aside). Add these things up together, and you have a package that many people dismiss at first glance.

So considering all this, what makes the game worth playing? One thing, really. This guy.

Francis York Morgan is the main character of the game; an FBI agent that is sent to a small town to investigate a strange murder. York is the main attraction of this game; finding the identity of the murderer takes a back seat to the player finding out about York himself. He's the source of the odd humor of the game; his interactions with the townspeople as they struggle to react to him are one the main things that makes this game great. Really, the entire town plays the straight man to York's bizarre behavior. I'd say that Deadly Premonition has a character-driven story more than any other game I can think of. This becomes pronounced in the game's end, when the player realizes that the game really was more about York than any murder mystery.

That being said, I don't mean to imply that the gameplay itself is poor. This is something that was stated by many reviewers, and I'm not really sure why. The controls in combat are a bit stiff, but nothing that can't be adapted to. The open world, while a bit too empty, is intereting in drive around in and look at, and has additional entertainment value of its own, as York likes to talk about his favorite old movies and songs as we drive around with him.

I mentioned that Deadly Premonition has aspects of Shenmue in it. Between combat sections, gameplay consists of traveling around town talking to people and inspecting locations. The game tells you where to go, but it's up to you whether you travel along the path the game lays out, or if you're going to go exploring on your own and see what you can find. If you only go where the game tells you to go, then you're actually going to miss out on a large portion of the game. Exploration is encouraged and rewarded in the form of 50 optional sidequests. In fact, not doing any of the sidequests will only make the game harder for the player.

This run-through will be a 100% run. Every sidequest will be completed, and every optional item will be collected. I will be trying to do this as efficiently as possible, but not too quickly as to lose the plot.

Videos!

*Note - The videos on Youtube are split up to fit in the 15 min. time limit. If you click a Youtube link, there is more than one embedded video in the page that comes up; watch them from top to bottom.

p. 1 - Agent Smug - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 2 - Ditching the Cops - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 3 - The Milk Barn - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 4 - Becky & Quint - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 5 - Swery 65' - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 6 - Cause of Death - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 7 - Other Hospital - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 8 - Backroads - Blip | Download
p. 9 - Crime Scene - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 10 - Lumber Mill - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 11 - Spiritual Map A - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 12 - Town Meeting - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 13 - New Guest - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 14 - Rainy Day - Blip | Download
p. 15 - Galaxy of Terror - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 16 - Muses Gallery - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 17 - Magic Murder Guitar - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 18 - Becky's House - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 19 - Lost Children - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 20 - Found Children - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 21 - Low Speed Chase - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 22 - Other Gallery - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 23 - Heart-To-Heart - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 24 - Favor For Nick - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 25 - One Fine Day - Blip | Download
p. 26 - Hurry to Harry - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 27 - Greenvale Graveyard - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 28 - Spiritual Map B - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 29 - Finding Files - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 30 - History Lesson - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 31 - Thomas - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 32 - Where's York? - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 33 - Sheriff's Department - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 34 - The Raincoat Killer - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 35 - York & Zach - Blip | Youtube | Download
p. 36 - Goodbye Greenvale - Blip | Youtube | Download A, Download B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Let’s stuff our faces with lollipops as we stumble through Deadly Premonition!

Deadly Premonition is a remarkable achievement; A game no one expected to succeed and initially panned by critics garnered a cult following and on closer inspection by those who played it revealed itself to be much more intriguing and charming than anyone expected. Truly impressive.

On the other hand…

Let’s be frank: Deadly Premonition is a silly, confusing game, and the experience of playing through it for the first time is unique to say the least. SuperGreatFriend has played this game before. He knows it inside and out. That’s why he’s doing a 100% run. As great as that will be, it’s missing something: that first-time feel. That’s where we come in. As a supplement to this thread, we will be doing a blind run of Deadly Premonition.

But who are we?

Orange Harrison is our tech guy. He set up and edited the audio and video. He knows everything about the Beatles AND IS REALLY GOOD ROCK BAND YOU GUYS

Rhinoceraptor is the one playing the game despite being terrible at games. He suffers from a crippling affliction that forces him to read aloud any word put in front of him.

Super Spy is a jerk. Don’t believe his lies.

What horrible secrets will we unlock? What will we think of them when we find them? How badly will we gently caress up? Find out on LET’S PLAY DEADLY PREMONITION

VIDEOS

Part 1: 14 Minutes of Cutscenes; 2 Minutes of Gameplay
In which a woman is found murdered and FBI Agent/Most Terrifying Man in the World Francis York Morgan s sent to crack the case.

Part 2: Mysterious Shadows
In which Agent York puts his infnite supply of 16-bullet handguns to use against the local contortionists.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Music!
(Thanks, bbcisdabomb!)

Life Is Beautiful (Whistle Theme)
The Woods and the Goddess (Main Theme)
FBI Special Agent (York's Theme)
Greenvale With Vocals (Intro Theme)
Shadow
RaincoatKiller
YorkAndZach
After the Rain
Emergency
Miss Stiletto Heels Acapella
Miss Stiletto Heels Full Version
Miss Stiletto Heels Piano Version
Thomas McLaine
George Woodman
Forrest Kaysen
Amazing Grace
Big Red Kaysen
Comic Relief
Goddess
Main Theme Edited Version
Red Tree
Red Tree Ambient Version
Underground

Life is Beautiful Chorus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBDnqTVxwto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7G1SiKMIzE

Recipes?!

jameson9101322

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=95#post388081252

Tupperwarez

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=107#post388327808

Green Intern

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=110#post388401903

doomfunk

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=115#post388585562

couwy

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=117#post388643986

KirbyKhan

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=117#post388650183

uhmuhnah

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=127#post388898939

DWK

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&pagenumber=155#post389427384

Arts!

Orthogonalus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27l7O_9lb0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XECH9w3y3AM

Geop

Eucyon

Voidburger

JossiRossi

dirtysammiches

dirtysammiches & P.M.F.

Yargh

CJBurgandy

Speedball

gridirongrandma

ThisIsACoolGuy

jameson9101322

Subject Tangerine

Yargh

Doctor Chef

Rii

expensive jeans

P.M.F.

Sylpher

Charkie

K0npeito

Internet Janitor

Feriowind

TwoPair

capslocksaurus

Sexbomb

skoolmunkee

Build-A-York

Lurking Haro

Hampooj

V!ntar

Feriowind

Thorwhaldir

The Merkinman

Dr. Demon

Melaneus

Tobias Grant

SnafuAl

Pug1233

Teh_J0kah

Do Me Love

motherfish

100Dachshunds

Michel parameter

Espresso Steampunk

Anal Surgery

Chip Cheezum

The Worst Unicorn

Old Man Mozz

Lethemonster

http://lbp.me/v/xgz690/info

Deadeye Dick

Doktor von Blaze

QwertySanchez

McGiygas

CrushedB

In It For The Tank

porkbun

RoeCocoa

squirrelnow

Kaihlan

FirePhoenix

Kamelona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L9Zh7dMC0Q

Sanguinary Novel

vuohi

Zellus

Bat Ham

IrvingWashington

Nomad_450

SystemLogoff

JohnDonovanLiver

Ironicism

T.G. Xarbala

RandomFerret

Anime Reference

Gimbal lock

Ghost Car & Bat Ham

Zyla

Reagle

8BitRedMage

noblergt

judge reinhold

Tombdust

Squidtamer DA

Mico

Octatonic w/ lyrics by Oxxidation

BOO TO THAT

couwy

WrathOfBlade

Travis343

sakatra

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
Awesome. I loved Giantbomb's Endurance Run, but I'm certainly looking forward to a 100% run, exploring all the weirdness the game has to offer.

Syce300
Apr 21, 2010
It's about time these got out of the sandcastle and I think it's great that you guys are working together so that no matter what kind of lp you prefer, you will find one here for this game.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Looking forward to finally seeing this game. I was a little confused by when some review on Metacritic said:

quote:

This game is so bad, it's not just become good. It's pretty close to perfect.

Hopefully that will make a bit more sense down the track. Looking forward to this! :)

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Glad to see this out of the sandcastle, your test post convinced me to head out and pick up the game so I'm going to try and play along. Looking forward to more.

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
Oh man, one of my all time favorite games played to 100% completion. I had to play this on a borrowed 360, so I wasn't able to go back and experience all the extra content this game has to offer. I will be watching this thread very closely.

Edit: That cutscene with Polly is still amazing. :allears:

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
Oh god oh god oh god I love you LPs to death, and you picked a game I was curious of. Not because I thought badly of it, but because it's so David Lynch and so...your style. I'm the happiest girl because of you! :neckbeard:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
YES. One of my favorite LPers doing one of my favorite games. I'm so excited about this! :neckbeard: Zach, I think this will be the best LP. :3:

Penile Dementia
Feb 13, 2006

I Left My Heart in Stamford Bridge
The child melting goodness of SHADOW THE FINAL DESTROYER will take some beating but I'm looking forward to this one!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
This makes my entire week. Hell, this makes my whole MONTH. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I am salivating like a fat kid with a steak (metaphorically, of course)

Good to see both runs!

FailingYeti
Aug 8, 2010
After Illbleed, D and D2 this game is a perfect fit. I am looking hella forward to this. Godspeed and Happy LPing.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Another SuperGreatFriend thread? Consider it already marked.
Great job so far, as always!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Rhinoceraptor posted:

On the other hand…

Ayup, this is a SGF thread. I expect zaniness and hilarious hijinks, and probably some sort of vagina-computer-vampire monster.

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
Is it me, or does Emily bear an uncanny resemblance to Naomi Watts?

Excellent start, supergreatfriend!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So the game starts off with creepy children finding a corpse, a whole bunch of terrible animation, and then an FBI agent explaining the sadomasochistic overtones of the Tom & Jerry show?

I'm afraid this may in fact be the new best thing ever created.

stryblazer
Sep 24, 2007
Junkiepedian
It's going to be really weird being a Zach and watching these videos. And when I catch up on the Endurance run and then these videos, I will have watched four different playthroughs. By the end of this thread I might have MPD.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
I went to sleep wondering when you were going to start the thread for this and here it is! :neckbeard: I was on a Twin Peaks kick this year and really wanted to play this, but couldn't. Thank you for allowing me to put off getting a PS3 even longer.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Rhinoceraptor posted:

[Image pending]
Super Spy is a jerk. Don’t believe his lies.

This right here is a true fact.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The design in this game is loving amazing. It's absolutely unbelievable how much thought was put into making the real meat of the game (everything that isn't combat).

Also Agent York is pretty much the best protagonist to ever exist in the medium.

i really love this game, and hopefully you'll show off the small touches that most people probably miss (like the signs in english, or various small easter eggs)

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Oh man, following this so hard. Deadly Premonition is pretty much the greatest game ever created. I'm hoping to pick up on some details I missed out on during my first playthrough.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Fereydun posted:

Also Agent York is pretty much the best protagonist to ever exist in the medium.

I've only watched the first video, so far, and I think I agree.

jameson9101322
Feb 21, 2010

Thank you SGF for doing this game. My friends and I just finished our first play-through last weekend and we all sincerely loved it. When I saw the OP appear on the front page I was thrilled and when I saw your name attached I was over the moon. I really loved the care and attention you paied Illbleed and D in your previous threads and I'll hungrily consume this one as well... and you guys playing the blind run? Brilliant. Welcome to the party ^^

I know this post isn't really rich in content, so I'll provide a link to one of the most comprehensive and awesome DP sites I've found. Don't worry, they post warnings for spoilers. Planet Redwood: http://planetredwood.webs.com/

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009
Sweet, I was hoping you'd to this game, SGF. I'm curious to see what this game's all about.

Annoying Assassin
Jun 20, 2010
It's kind of nice knowing that the main character acknowledges what's going on around him and is still able to keep up his composure regardless.

Anybody who lights up a cig like that has to be cool.

Robot Battalion
May 27, 2001

Oh, Deadly Premonition. I am kicking myself for not buying it when I found it in Gamespot awhile ago. :(

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I'm going back and watching illbleed after your D ones to get ready for this, even though I've already watched at least 2 different let's plays of Deadly Premonition

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

You stole that zombie's pickles :saddowns:

Also I love how, instead of simply changing a fuse, Sergeant York becomes Electrician York and installs an entire fuse box into the generator. Too bad he didn't have a spare car engine on him, he could have just popped one into his car real quick.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fun facts:
The perp from the previous case that York mentions is also a reference to Molly Millions from Johnny Mnemonic. Razors under the fingernails, and what not.

Emily and George are named after the characters from Our Town.

There's probably more references and stuff but those are the two that I can think of off the top of my head for the intro section.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeeees. I was just thinking today, not even four hours ago, how much I wanted to see this game LP'd. Thank you, supergreatfriend.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I made the mistake of playing DP on hard and the sheer grindiness of every single goddamn enemy encounter grated on my nerves and made me hate it. I can understand why people like this game so much but I was really turned off by the horribleness of the action parts. It makes me feel a little better to know that they were shoehorned in at the last minute, though, so I can forgive SWERY because I like the idea of what he was going for in this game. But it's horribly unfun to play. I do love the extremely weird plot so I might watch this just to relive my favorite wtf moments without having to deal with actually playing the game.

What's the rule on plot spoilers in this thread?

EDIT: btw the thing about action sequences being shoehorned in comes from this interview but don't read it unless you've finished the game.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I am seriously grooving on the music to this game. I don't suppose there'd be any chance of having the OST posted in the OP, like some other Letsplays are doing, is there?

AmadeusVonBlastoise
Jul 4, 2008

AMADEUS AMADEUS
~DO~DO~
~DO~DO~
Every game needs a "Whistle Song" in its sound track.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
So York is talking on a cellphone, and smoking, and working on a laptop, while driving, in the rain, all at the same time.

And he's speeding.

Oh, and the bizarre, random conversation he's having on the phone is about the golden-age cartoon Tom and Jerry. For some reason.

I love this game already.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

FisheyStix posted:

I am seriously grooving on the music to this game. I don't suppose there'd be any chance of having the OST posted in the OP, like some other Letsplays are doing, is there?

Well, the good news is it looks like the soundtrack isn't being sold so I can host it. The other good news is I found a copy. The bad news is I read the song names have spoilers and I don't want to spoil myself.

So I ask any of the OPs - Do I post the entire .zip here or should I host the tracks individually and let one of you release them with the videos? I did the same for the Gitaroo Man LP and I'd be happy to do it again. Either way I'll throw up the full .zip.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

ninotoreS posted:

So York is talking on a cellphone, and smoking, and working on a laptop, while driving, in the rain, all at the same time.

And he's speeding.

Oh, and the bizarre, random conversation he's having on the phone is about the golden-age cartoon Tom and Jerry. For some reason.

I love this game already.

You haven't seen anything yet. York is a god amongst men.

I'm thrilled to see you play this game by the way. I never got around to finish watching the Giant Bomb endurance runs of this game, So maybe taking it bit by bit will help. :shobon:

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What's the rule on plot spoilers in this thread?

This is SGF's thread, so it's his call, but I'd appreciate it if people didn't discuss plot points beyond what's already happened since part of the fun of my run is that we don't know what will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
After the first couple videos, I can definitely see the appeal. There's something just undeniably charming about a game in which the protagonist goes from beating zombies with a pipe to yelling at an elderly woman across a comically oversized table. I'll be sure to keep up with this thread, great job so far!