Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Goldom
Feb 19, 2009

The governor has given a rats-alert advising people to stay in their homes.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Actually, can I request that one of the combat sections be done without firing the gun or using melee attacks?

I think it'd be interesting to see what this game would be like without a way to fight back.

Might not be possible. Shadows have an annoyingly-large collision area, so you can't get past them in narrow areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Kloro posted:

^^
You might want to have a quick look at the latest update to the Rules post.

I've seen a couple people mention this new rule but the newest post in the gbs Rules thread is from January, the username/post combo thing. I'm only asking because it seems like there's a rules thread I don't know about and should probably read.

b00n
May 8, 2007

skoolmunkee posted:

I've seen a couple people mention this new rule but the newest post in the gbs Rules thread is from January, the username/post combo thing. I'm only asking because it seems like there's a rules thread I don't know about and should probably read.

Are you seriously telling us you never noticed this?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

While they're weak, I think the combat sections are okay mostly because of the amount of discussion they can generate - just look at everyone trying to figure out what the shadows are and how metaphorical it may or may not be in this thread alone, for instance.

If York had to hide from them all he couldn't be nearly as smug about it.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

b00n posted:

Are you seriously telling us you never noticed this?

Considering I never actually go into the LP forum (I usually just check on bookmarked threads), yes. In fairness, the other threads where a 'no page sniping' rule has been brought up were in other forums, and when I checked those forums' rules threads didn't see anything to that effect, so it looked like I was missing some universal rules thing. So I guess I just didn't check the LP forum rules in this case because that didn't work elsewhere.

Guess I should bookmark the various rules threads. :]

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know, I can picture this game without combat... and it's actually more interesting than with combat.

Imagine, having to hide from shadows rather than fight, holding your breath to sneak by ones that are blocking your way, running away when they spot you...

Actually, can I request that one of the combat sections be done without firing the gun or using melee attacks?

I think it'd be interesting to see what this game would be like without a way to fight back.

That's bordering on SH: Shattered Mem's. It tried that, and I don't think it really succeeded.

On the other hand, DP would probably get it right.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

LP Bot goes pacifist, since the only ones deserving to be beat up are living people.

Most money is probably from all the bonuses to get for killing shadows and the gamedesigners forgot to adjust the agent honors.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I thought I'd try my hand at the Sinner's Sandwich, since so many others have experienced its transformative powers.
First, I thinly spread some strawberry preserves on both sides of the bread, to help keep everything together.

Click here for the full 3072x2304 image

I didn't have any plain cereal like Chex or Corn Flakes, so I'm working with this smiling gentleman here:

Click here for the full 2304x3072 image

I don't have turkey, but I do have some thick-cut chicken, which should suffice pretty well.

Click here for the full 1365x1024 image

The Final Result?

Click here for the full 3072x2304 image

I can understand York's surprise; It's got a confusing flavor. Imagine your taste buds being assaulted by the flavors of honey, strawberry, rice, and grilled chicken all at once. It is crunchy, but soft. I don't think I'd make this regularly, but at least I'm not wasting food here.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
With all this talk of eating sinner sandwiches just because the game talked about it, I'm surprised no one's tried eating cicadas yet.

Out of a skull they've urinated in.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

In It For The Tank posted:

With all this talk of eating sinner sandwiches just because the game talked about it, I'm surprised no one's tried eating cicadas yet.

They're kinda hard to come by, ya know.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, it's not like you can just go out and find pre-urinated skulls anywhere. You've got to work for those things.

Michel parameter
May 6, 2010

by T. Finn
God, you Americans and your cuisine raffinée is making me sick. One more sandwich recipe and this thread will turn into a big Deadly Epic Premonition Meal Time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well, my roommate who followed the whole game when i played had a Sinner Sandwich last night and also declared it delicious, our third roommate is due to try it too but is currently sick. Experimental foods when sick is probably not a good idea. I expect he'll like it too though!

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
In this thread: people eating crazy poo poo

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

wildzero posted:

That's bordering on SH: Shattered Mem's. It tried that, and I don't think it really succeeded.

I could go into detail about how SM could have gotten it right but that's really for another thread.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

In It For The Tank posted:

Are those the same thing as locust? Because they're just... crunchy. If you fry them without adding anything, you get an essence of fried crunchiness.

(yeah, I know the joke was in the other part)

Deadbeat
Apr 8, 2003

I still think chex was the perfect choice.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

wildzero posted:

I thought Shattered Memories' otherworld sections worked quite well.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Deadbeat posted:

I still think chex was the perfect choice.

I'd figure plain corn flakes would work well, too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One thing I don't think would work well is Raisin Bran.

jameson9101322
Feb 21, 2010

The honey taste must have put a spin on things... The Chex I used had no flavor of their own really, so they just added the crunch. I'm sure other plain cereals would pull the same, but it's good to experiment with variety, too!

And re:Shattered Memories, I hated the combat sections fiercely. It'd been better if they weren't all the same and if they weren't all mazes. I got so frustrated that it wasn't scary or fun, and it might have been the way I was sitting with the wii-mote, but if I ever got a guy on my left side I was doomed. I could get them off the back and I could get them off the front and the right but no matter how much flailing I did on the left I'd go down like a mangy dog.

No combat in DP could go two ways - without it would have made for a very interesting variation... the combat sections could be more strategy than shooter with more room for puzzles which would have been SO much fun. It also would have made the Raincoat Killer QTE sequences make more sense since we run from him instead of beating him to death with a wrench. On the other hand, some of the unlockable weapons in this game are hilarious and some of the gunning sequences we've yet to encounter are heavily reliant on distance.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Are those the same thing as locust? Because they're just... crunchy. If you fry them without adding anything, you get an essence of fried crunchiness.

Can't wait for the first Sinner's Sandwich with locust instead of cereal! :allears:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So will they ever explain the (episode 18 Becky's house spoilers) elaborate death trap setup with curtains coming out of no where and choking becky to death? If it were something else, it'd be more believable to me.

Oh and Anna is very stoned looking in that scene (I can't find the bucktooth smilie that would be totally appropriate for her expression).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really, really wish they did, GoldenNugget, but no. They don't explain it.

Bragnanymous
Nov 30, 2010

AllenR posted:

I could go into detail about how SM could have gotten it right but that's really for another thread.

Yeah, I would say that, while I didn't feel it got it right, it came really, really close. The combat sections in DP feel like a ride on the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. You know you're not gonna get hurt or overly frightened, but it's fun and it sets a mood.

And while tempting, I'm not going to try the Sinner's Sandwich. For one thing, I don't want to find out that I love it and need more, and secondly, based on York's description of its purpose, it seems counter-productive. To atone for sins, you eat a sandwich that you really like? Just seems like an excuse to keep eating that sandwi-- Oh, well, ok. That makes sense, I guess.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Actually, York is the one who calls it the "Sinner's Sandwich", assuming that it's terrible. Harry insists that it isn't, and convinces York to try it. York decides it's actually really good.

Therefore, calling it the "Sinner's Sandwich" is a misnomer, as eating it doesn't seem to be punishment at all. I may have to try one this Thanksgiving, when we visit my in-laws. I can already imagine how they'll react. Should be pretty funny, right Zach?

Does anybody else think an LP-Bot only LP would be pretty funny? It would depend on the game, I think, but I'm imagining him doing Shin Megami Tensei I and I can't stop laughing. :D

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

RickVoid posted:

Therefore, calling it the "Sinner's Sandwich" is a misnomer, as eating it doesn't seem to be punishment at all. I may have to try one this Thanksgiving, when we visit my in-laws. I can already imagine how they'll react. Should be pretty funny, right Zach?

It's so good, it's a sin (or at least it should be)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Does anybody else think an LP-Bot only LP would be pretty funny? It would depend on the game, I think, but I'm imagining him doing Shin Megami Tensei I and I can't stop laughing. :D

It'd probably have to be something for the Short Game Theater thread. Like something really short. LP-bot would wear pretty thin after a while, so you don't want to give him a long game.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

TwoPair posted:

It'd probably have to be something for the Short Game Theater thread. Like something really short. LP-bot would wear pretty thin after a while, so you don't want to give him a long game.

LP Bot doing any Katamari Damacy level.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

So will they ever explain the (episode 18 Becky's house spoilers) elaborate death trap setup with curtains coming out of no where and choking becky to death? If it were something else, it'd be more believable to me.

I figured that the curtains might be a sort of... metaphorical vision thing, partially to censor it. Given that we saw red fabric on Becky's bed, which turned out to be a blood stain, I wouldn't put it past York to "see" blood from a cut throat as some kind of magical curtain dance.

Of course, it's actually just a magical curtain dance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tindalos posted:

I figured that the curtains might be a sort of... metaphorical vision thing, partially to censor it. Given that we saw red fabric on Becky's bed, which turned out to be a blood stain, I wouldn't put it past York to "see" blood from a cut throat as some kind of magical curtain dance.

Of course, it's actually just a magical curtain dance.

Those curtains were her bedsheets.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

The Worst Unicorn posted:

LP Bot doing any Katamari Damacy level.

Only if he sings all the lyrics.

Naaaaa. NaNaNaNaNa, Na, Na, Na Katamaree damasheeeee.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Now that I think about it, the curtains of death might be a metaphor for thin fishing wire choking her to death with blood spraying everywhere... Maybe actually depicting that was too much for the censors?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

ETB posted:

Now that I think about it, the curtains of death might be a metaphor for thin fishing wire choking her to death with blood spraying everywhere... Maybe actually depicting that was too much for the censors?

Not for the US ratings board. It's already an M rating, so aerosolized blood wouldn't matter.

Maybe it matters in Japan. v:shobon:v

Hootie Hoo
Nov 13, 2008

by angerbot
How close was the strangling scene to the dream-hallucination that York had? If we're operating on the idea that the shadow world is at least partially in York's head then maybe the red velvet (which represented blood on the bed in the shadow sequence) was how York pictured the blood coming out of Becky's neck. The proximity to the scene with Becky and Anna meeting might point towards the curtains being a stylized hallucination on York's part.

Honestly I think it's just a quirk of the game, and there is no real explanation other than that's just how the game decided to portray Becky's death. There are certain parts where the quirkiness is an asset, and others where it's more of hindrance, in my opinion.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Guys guys guys! Becky's blood IS bedsheets. Now stop fighting.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

GoldenNugget posted:

Oh and Anna is very stoned looking in that scene (I can't find the bucktooth smilie that would be totally appropriate for her expression).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

BlueArmyMan posted:

She's like a goddess...

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know, I can picture this game without combat... and it's actually more interesting than with combat.

Imagine, having to hide from shadows rather than fight, holding your breath to sneak by ones that are blocking your way, running away when they spot you...

This is from a bit ago, but to me this is a really overrated way to play games, and a good way to kill what fun and charm there is in DP's combat once you get rolling, clunky though it may be. Once you learn the game a ton of enjoyment comes from getting all the cool rewards like Grecotch and the Spiritual Map stuff, which all goes right out the window when you remove combat from the game.

Not only that, but you really devalue and possibly even end up removing a lot of NPCs whose only real role in terms of game mechanics is to provide you with stuff that helps in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

BlueArmyMan posted:

Well yeah, okay, but does Anna swim swim hungry?

Or did she, rather, being dead and all.