Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Agnostic watermelon posted:

I wonder how many people are going to try a turkey/ strawberry jam/ cereal sandwich tonight?

[e] I really want to see a picture of punk rocker york talking to zach in front of people at his high school.

What would High school Punk Rocker York talk to Zach about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

An hour long, and yet I still didn't want it to end. :(

The sandwich reactions are the peak of the entire game. I've finished/watched Deadly Premonition 5 times and it's still always funny.

forebodingburger
Jul 23, 2010

Sever your leg, please.

Internet Janitor posted:

My closest guess is that the cereal in the sandwich is corn flakes. What do you guys think? Is there an "official" recipe beyond that scene in the game?

That looks like corn flakes, yeah. Which is good. Because it will make for the maximum visual effect.

I hope this turns out...

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Internet Janitor posted:

My closest guess is that the cereal in the sandwich is corn flakes. What do you guys think? Is there an "official" recipe beyond that scene in the game?
As far as I can tell, the Sinner's Sandwich is entirely an invention of Deadly Premonition, and so there would be no real-life official recipe.

However, it is more than likely inspired by the idea of the Sin-Eater, given the theme of absolution of sin by consuming it symbolically.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Agnostic watermelon posted:

I wonder how many people are going to try a turkey/ strawberry jam/ cereal sandwich tonight?

[e] I really want to see a picture of punk rocker york talking to zach in front of people at his high school.

Yeah I'm expecting punk-rock York with his leathers and safety pins to be hitting the thread in a fan-art format soon.

drat you SGF this update, while thoroughly enjoyable has left me hankering for more, what a cliffhanger, I'm gonna be :f5:ing this thread all bloody week.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Tupperwarez: I thought someone mentioned earlier that a sandwich in this game is based on SWERY's real-life favorite sandwich. Is that a different sandwich?

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

21stCentury posted:

He would :spergin: about punk rock, duh. Probably very loudly during class.

Also for some reason I'm imagining the cereal as plain captain crunch.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
The crackoom of the storm, and sudden onset of rain right at the end there was surprisingly intimidating.

C-BOX
Feb 7, 2010

by Debbie Metallica
No idea where I remember seeing this, but I read the cereal was cheerios. And boy was it good! :)

TheMaskedUgly posted:

The crackoom of the storm, and sudden onset of rain right at the end there was surprisingly intimidating.

I was sad that York's poncho didn't magically pop on when the rain started.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

21stCentury posted:

High school and punk rock, is my guess.

Also, people who have tried making their own sinner's sandwich say it's surprisingly good, though I'm sure as hell not going to try and find out personally.

jameson9101322
Feb 21, 2010

I have been waiting so long for the sinner's sandwich episode. With all your permission (especially our illustrious OP) I'd like to show you how it's done.

I have played and finished this game already. There is something remarkable about this game, it makes a show of being silly, but it's hiding a true inner depth that I know I was not expecting. I made a decision to believe everything York does is awesome, and therefore he can't be lying about this sandwich. I must try it for myself.

Enter the ingredients:

I read online that big pieces of turkey work better than coldcuts. One must trust those who have experienced it before... I just happened to have the rice chex laying around. I've seen several cereals mentioned, corn flakes seems to be most popular.
I also used preserves instead of jam.

Here is the finished product:

Time for the ultimate test

Verdict!

My first impression written upon tasting:
Sweet with a satisfying crunch! The jam overpowers the other flavors so any taste juxtaposition is nonexistent. The turkey breast comes in as a flavor finisher and makes the whole sandwich a hearty and satisfying experience. I give it an A++

So my postmortem on the Sinner's Sandwich? It's exactly what Deadly Premonition is: a little goofy to the passerby, an object of ridicule to those not brave enough to try it, and completely entertaining, enjoyable and satisfying for the privileged few willing to give it a chance. I love this sandwich and I love this game. Will definitely try both again and again!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Evil Eagle posted:

Does anyone else think of Colonel Volgin when they hear the General? Is it the same voice actor?

Edit: And does Emily share a voice with Para-Medic?

I actually hear Mongul, from the Justice League cartoon (he was only in two episodes). No clue if they're the same person.

And no, Emily and Para-Medic have different VAs

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

SGF, I enjoy your commentary and the fact that you are making these videos, so I hope you don't take it the wrong way that hearing from LP Bot always immediately puts a smile on my face. He's the most gentlemanly killing machine there is!

Wait, is this all part of his sinister power to take over the world? Or at least the LP Sub-Forum?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
jameson9101322: Rice Chex, eh?

...and so my dark work begins.

jameson9101322
Feb 21, 2010

Internet Janitor posted:

jameson9101322: Rice Chex, eh?

...and so my dark work begins.

I highly recommend this sandwich. Since trying it, I've made a half one every now and again as an afternoon snack. Mr. Stewart knows what he's talking about, at least when it comes to what really counts.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Was that a new song at the very end? I was actually taken aback at the fact something was playing I hadn't heard before.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
Aaaaahhhhhhh :f5:

Becky's dead isn't she? At the hospital when SGF couldn't find Ushah, he said that he'd be back at the hospital later which made me think that there would be at least one other murder and perhaps this is it!

Right before York started talking to Olivia in the diner when she gave him the key, Carol was in the background and I was hoping that SGF would go try to talk to her before he smoked like six hours away. Oh well, maybe she really didn't have anything useful to say.

A few other scattered thoughts:
-I really like the guitar music that plays when an important location gets introduced
-I guess we now know what we're supposed to do with the bones York's been collecting
-I see nothing wrong with LPBot's plan of action :colbert:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
How did I get to a point in my life where I don't have turkey, jam, or cereal in my kitchen?

I feel so unYorkly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Scroll back to the first sprite I posted of Stewart. Look carefully

Sandwich. It was there ALL ALONG

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
SGF's "So here we a-" and the :aaa: sandwich faces made me loving lose it.

With the former, I could just see SGF making a :stare: face for a brief moment and continuing.

forebodingburger
Jul 23, 2010

Sever your leg, please.
I ate the sandwich. I did something wrong, I think.

Freshly sauteed chicken as opposed to deli style turkey probably did me in.

I managed to do something fun with it though, in an attempt to actually contribute to the thread.

That'll be up later.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Turkey actually goes really well with sweet things like apples and jam, I suppose. It'd actually probably be possible to use a game meat like deer with it, but I'm not sure I'd try it.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I am kind of getting weirded out by how much more well animated York and Emily's faces are compared to everyone else. I mean Emily's forehead actually wrinkles when she's going :wtc: during the lunch scene. And York is...well...York... *insert rapeface here*

It is reminding me of Final Fantasy 10 where they'd have high resolution characters right alongside lifeless pod people with animated .gifs for mouths in the same scene.

DogLivesOnTheMoon
Oct 23, 2010
Slight easter egg you may have missed: When York speculates on what A&G stands for, he casually mentions "Access and Games." Access Games is the publisher of Deadly Premonition.

Rii
Nov 5, 2008

Well now look what you've done.
Oh yes, I was waiting for this!

I had the supreme pleasure of being able to make a Sinner's Sandwich around Thanksgiving, when we had lots of thick turkey leftovers to make sandwiches with. I found that raspberry jam and chex work best, because of the tanginess and the lack of soggy, respectively. Great sandwich, though.

That zoom-out and the amount of time spent on it is just so hilarious, likewise.

Slightly related, but my dad's favorite small-time diner is called the R&B; named after the owners in that instance, I think. He makes a habit of taking his motorcycle out there every Sunday or so to eat breakfast. Really friendly waitstaff too. The head waitress has a tattoo of Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell on her shoulder.

McGiygas
Sep 25, 2010

by T. Mascis
That sandwich is amazing. It's like if there were a circle of food and one half was bad, the other good, and the sinner's sandwich loops from that bad side to that good side. It's like the insane person saying something that on its face sounds incomprehensible, but makes sense after you think for a little bit. The Mr. Stewart of sandwiches, you might say.

Also, I just noticed that Michael speaks in rhyme, which kind of blew my mind.

stormoftara
Nov 5, 2009

Sometimes you just like to pick stuff up and watch the colors. It's so beautiful. Life is beautiful.
Haha I loved this update. While you were driving, I was wondering to myself, hey why isn't SGF driving with the windshield whippers and the turn signal on? And then you did it. It was too funny to me.

I want to try to sinners sandwich. The only cereal I have right now is Cheerios and Fruit Loops, which one would be better?

Triangle Head
Jan 5, 2006

I laughed a lot at the dumbstruck reaction to seeing Sigourney at the hospital right after SGF/York drives her home. The shocked faces in response to the 'Sinner's Sandwich' also never fail to make me chuckle, especially Olivia's. She seems kind of... happy about it.

Never tried the Sinner's Sandwich before, but thinking about it actually makes me hungry (what the hell). The first cereal I thought of was Fruity Pebbles, which is far different from Chex and is probably ill-advised. If only I had the ingredients in the house...

stormoftara posted:

I want to try to sinners sandwich. The only cereal I have right now is Cheerios and Fruit Loops, which one would be better?
I say Fruit Loops. Live dangerously!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Finished the game (plus all the sidequests) today, now it's time to keep my mouth shut for the next ~6 months.

jameson9101322
Feb 21, 2010

stormoftara posted:

I'd suggest Cheerios to start, personally.... but then I want you to try it with fruit loops and report back! :)

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
The funniest part was Emily saying "Let's just focus on getting to the diner and cut the chit-chat" just before you crash into a car.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Man the way Michael's tone change on the lunch/"bunch" really makes it sound like It's Harry Stewart's idea to have him speaking in rhyming couplets.

It almost sounds like he's thinking "Really? Even Now?"

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
Thomas, I must be blunt. Normally, you're a phenomenal chef, but today, everything tastes just like hair, not to mention all the strange fibers ruining the texture of the ham. How did that happen? To be fair, though, I must commend your versatility-- your kitchen knives were sharpened very finely and evenly, and the mashed potatoes made for a surprisingly serviceable shaving cream.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Robindaybird posted:

Man the way Michael's tone change on the lunch/"bunch" really makes it sound like It's Harry Stewart's idea to have him speaking in rhyming couplets.

It almost sounds like he's thinking "Really? Even Now?"

It sounded like the VA was trying his hardest not to facepalm while reading that line.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

^^^^ It sounded like he was thinking, "Hmm, how in the world can I rhyme lunch and still sound dignified?" He then failed, to his own consternation.

Hog Butcher posted:

Turkey actually goes really well with sweet things like apples and jam, I suppose. It'd actually probably be possible to use a game meat like deer with it, but I'm not sure I'd try it.

My dad actually loves to put homemade cranberry sauce on his turkey on Thanksgiving. I must admit I like the flavor profile myself, although I still prefer adding stuffing and gravy instead.

Doctor Chef
Nov 3, 2005
"Clothes Pigs?"

JossiRossi posted:

Was that a new song at the very end? I was actually taken aback at the fact something was playing I hadn't heard before.

Yes, it's called "Emergency" and it's pretty nice. Here's a Youtube link for your enjoyment: Track 17 - Emergency

It's funny how most of the original reviews for this game complained that there were only about 4 tracks in the game, but the soundtrack actually has a really good variety and it's quite nice to chill out and listen to.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Evil Eagle posted:

Does anyone else think of Colonel Volgin when they hear the General? Is it the same voice actor?

Edit: And does Emily share a voice with Para-Medic?
If only Deadly Premonition was actually listed on IMDB.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

My theory is that Sigourney has chicks or some other small animal in her pot, and that's why she has to keep the pot warm :3:

Loved the triangle sound just before Emily started laughing about punk rocker York.

:aaa: *clink* :roflolmao:

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
This game does shine when they stop using SO MANY REPEATED ANIMATIONS and actually animate more detailed stuff like Emily talking on her walkie-talkie thing, and holding Olivia. Too bad animation cost time and money, and that's not what this game had to spare.

Anyway, SGF, you seriously couldn't update any faster. The last few minutes got me hyped as gently caress for the next episode. It's amazing how you make one-hour episodes, and yet they're always satisfying as hell to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Doctor Chef posted:

Yes, it's called "Emergency" and it's pretty nice. Here's a Youtube link for your enjoyment: Track 17 - Emergency

It's funny how most of the original reviews for this game complained that there were only about 4 tracks in the game, but the soundtrack actually has a really good variety and it's quite nice to chill out and listen to.

This one is perfectly fine, but once again, I must warn those who haven't beaten the game to refrain from checking out all the songs on the soundtrack. Some do contain massive spoilers, as weird as that sounds.