Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noobhedron
Sep 29, 2006
Ducky

worrywort posted:

A million times this. Neilmed has saved me from about 3 sinus infections that would otherwise be just long, drawn out headaches. It seems gross and looks uncomfortable, but the rinse feels nothing like what you expect - no burning, no pain, just instant relief!

I can second worrywort's statement. I got it when I went to a walk in clinic for free, the nurse just tossed it to me and told me to use it when I was sick with something flu-like. I was in enough pain at that point that it was certainly helpful and got me to stop sniffling every 10 seconds, even while laying on my back.

The only thing I can say is be sure to use the salt packets provided. I guess I have a sensitive nose or something but when I used them I didn't have any issues. Trying to use kosher salt, even in the exact proportions that the instructions dictated, made my nose hurt a lot and really wasn't worth it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anhyderous
Dec 21, 2006

Your day has finally come
So wear the hat and do the dance
And let the suit keep wearing you
This year you'll sit and take it
And you will like it
I'll second the suggestion for Burt's Bees chapstick/lip balm. One winter my lips got so dry the bottom one split, and nothing was helping. I decided to try some Burt's lip balm, and my lip was fine the next day. Been using it since and haven't had any more problems.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

ayekappy posted:

Zojirushi rice maker, with Fuzzy Logic. 8 or 10 different rice settings... you just put the rice in, fill to the water line, close the lid, and hit start; perfect rice every time! Keeps it warm for 12 hours, has a delayed start setting. It also plays Happy Birthday when your rice is done and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star when you start.

Oh hell yes. I love mine so much. You can also cook eggs in them.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

I know it's not a product, per se, but a service. Amazon Prime is one of my favorite things ever. Let me tell you why.

Not only is it only $80 a year, but you get free two day shipping on almost anything you might need AND you can add up to 4 other people to your account, free of charge. They can take advantage of all the Prime benefits and not pay a dime, unless, of course, you ask them to. I ask for $20 a person to join my account, all friends and family, in which case I literally pay nothing for my Prime membership. It's a great situation for them and for me, so everybody wins!

If you play it right it's a great deal and has lead me to use Amazon more than I usually would. On top of all that, Amazon has some of the best customer service in the business and I've never had the smallest problem with them. I've gotten a couple of damaged products from them and they always replace them, no question.

I really can't recommend them enough!

I will second this recommendation. This is especially true if you live in a state that doesn't require Amazon to charge you tax. Being in Chicago, I pay around 10% sales tax on things. So I factor in that 10% savings on everything I buy through them and it more than pays for itself. You can save pretty good money on everyday stuff like razors, beef jerky, and DVDs. I probably save a good $500 a year using them. And there is nothing like 2nd day airing a 52 inch TV for free to your house.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Elijya posted:

Use a metal cigarette case as a wallet. They're sturdy and classy. I also hate thick wallets in my pants, and the cigarette case I've had for ten years is always the same slim size. It prevents you from carrying too much crap in your wallet, as when it starts to get full, you prioritize and realize all the cards you don't really need. It also is a conversation starter as a lot of people ask about it.
Amazon carries several dozen different styles, but cheap ones may be poorly made.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cigarette+case&x=0&y=0&sprefix=cigarette+case

I purchased mine from a cigar store. Mine's double sided, but many cases are only single sided:
You can also go with a DX business card holder. This is the one I use. It also tends to get a lot of compliments! At $3.67 no shipping? Why not!

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.
If you're talking wallets, I can recommend these:

http://www.dynomighty.com/products.php?s=mighty%20wallets

They ain't classy, and they don't do coins, but they're super thin (made of plastic but put together like paper, i.e. small fibers). Light and durable and cheap. I like mine because my wallet is only as thick as the contents - the wallet is negligible in width. I think I've had mine in daily use for about a year and it shows no signs of damage.

Cheesus Christ
Nov 12, 2008

quote:

Amazon Prime

A while ago you could get Prime for free by entering a ".edu" email address. I did it that way... don't know if its still available.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mikestg posted:

Thank you for this thread. I recommend this product to everyone I know and occasionally strangers:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquafresh-Flouride-Toothgel-Lasting-Impact/dp/B002BSVEJK

Yes, toothpaste. I'm not even a dentist! It foams up in your mouth so much and really gives you an amazingly clean feeling. The whitening is great too, I drink a lot of coffee and my teeth are still very white. Hands down the best toothpaste I have ever tried.

Foam does not equal clean. SLS is a pretty crappy cleaner anyways. SLS can also lead to canker sores for some people. It is also the foaming that makes stuff like orange juice taste horrible after you've brushed your teeth.

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Mouth-Toothpaste-4-50-Ounces/dp/B00028LYZU/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1290872409&sr=1-22

I've been using this stuff for awhile. No SLS.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Wireless Routers:
http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/outlet/Router/linksys-WRT54GL-RM_stcVVproductId118092828VVcatId543809VVviewprod.htm

You can argue with me, but I'll be hosed if, for the fourth time in 5 years, I haven't thrown away my "brand new high tech" router and just plugged this fucker right back in. It's a god drat workhouse; cheap as poo poo and never ever fails.

Mine actually was failing (randomly crashing, but it was a soft crash, as a push of the reset button on the back would make it work again, but lose all my WiFi settings) until I installed the Tomato Firmware a year ago. Rock solid since then. You need one of the original-generation WRT54Gs though, since the newer ones don't have enough memory (or something like that) to run Tomato.

So yeah, I second your recommendation, and also recommend the Tomato firmware.

edit: Which Zojirushi rice cooker is the one to get? I'm intrigued.

Sgs-Cruz has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Nov 27, 2010

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
This poo poo right here:

The Zebra M-301 stainless steel mechanical pencil, also known as the world's most perfect marriage of price and quality. Refillable, comfortable, very sturdy, and with some extra erasers it'll last you months of happy writing. The stock graphite is a little light for me, so I recommend switching in a slightly darker grain.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Cheesus Christ posted:

A while ago you could get Prime for free by entering a ".edu" email address. I did it that way... don't know if its still available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

PirateDentist posted:

I've thought of doing that, but don't they say it all has to be in the same household? Do they really not care about that? I've never tried it as $80 is just too much for me, but I don't want to have Amazon get pissed that it's being shared and cancel it on everyone either.

Nope, not the same household. Three of the people sharing my account live in NC, while I live in NY now. No one has said a word about it and I've been doing it for 3 years. They really don't seem to care.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Mein Eyes! posted:

This poo poo right here:

The Zebra M-301 stainless steel mechanical pencil, also known as the world's most perfect marriage of price and quality. Refillable, comfortable, very sturdy, and with some extra erasers it'll last you months of happy writing. The stock graphite is a little light for me, so I recommend switching in a slightly darker grain.

They also make an ink pen (the F-301) that's pretty excellent too. The quality can't be beat for a $4 2 pack. The f-301 looks nearly identical to the pencil you posted above, but zebra also makes a full length stainless version the ZEB29411 that's just tits. Ive had one for 3 years that still looks brand new. It takes the standard F-301 refills which are redilly available, and people who don't know assume it's an expensive pen. The stainless model is on amazon now for about 10 bucks with shipping (sorry, no prime :( ) and is probably worth it as they're harder to find in stores, and all of you should own one.

tl;dr: click the drat link for a high quality, classy as gently caress stainless pen that you'll have forever for cheap.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

ayekappy posted:

Zojirushi rice maker, with Fuzzy Logic. 8 or 10 different rice settings... you just put the rice in, fill to the water line, close the lid, and hit start; perfect rice every time! Keeps it warm for 12 hours, has a delayed start setting. It also plays Happy Birthday when your rice is done and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star when you start.

Zojirushi owners :whatup:

We've had a Zojirushi rice cooker for two decades now and the thing still works good as new. We use it every day. The only time it's not plugged in is when we're all gone from the house on vacation, seriously. It's pretty much the same as this current model:
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-...97ZCB6969MG4JG0

Very standard and simple, but works just fine. I'd love to get one of the Fuzzy Logic ones. poo poo is insane.

Zojirushi's water boilers are great, too. I own this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CD-...PKT5M1Q5FN3RFJG

Sgs-Cruz posted:

edit: Which Zojirushi rice cooker is the one to get? I'm intrigued.

The one I linked above is fine if you are just cooking rice. If you're interested in preparing oatmeal, porridge, and who knows what else, invest in one of the fancier ones.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
oh my god thank you.

https://www.rei.com
My REI membership has saved me a poo poo TON of cash, and I believe its only $20 for life. Just recently I exchanged all my old running clothes, rain gear, a sleeping mat that was leaky, sandals that fell apart, and some other poo poo, no questions asked. They couldn't find the sleeping mat in my purchase list for some reason and they didn't really care, they just had trouble finding the model number to type in.

It took about 15 minutes max, and I soon had an REI gift card with about $350 loaded onto it, to be spent on whatever I wanted to buy in the store. REI is more anti-evil than google could ever be.

Isaac Asimov has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Nov 27, 2010

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-Cooker-Warmer-Premium/dp/B00007J5U7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1290883743&sr=1-1

Just reminded me, it has a battery, so I've never seen its clock reset, and it's been unplugged for a few weeks at a time before in its 5ish years of service.

lanochediablo
Jul 5, 2007

This little plastic book/laptop stand is the most versatile thing I've ever picked up from Ikea. It only cost $3 (its called 'Brada') and has more than paid for itself in reduced strain on my neck and eyes. I'll put a book on it and take notes on my desk without having to do much more than glance to the left.

Also, seconding the F-301 pens. They make great portable chillums as well.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Pizzazz Presto Pizza Oven

I got this for christmas 4 or so years ago, and I've loved it ever since. Easy to wash, and easier to use than an oven. It's not just limited to pizzas, pretty much anything frozen that can fit on the disc turns out better than microwaving.

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-03430-Pizzazz-Pizza-Oven/dp/B00005IBXJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1290887868&sr=8-1

Request: I need a good laptop stand for work. My laptop gets hotter than hell sitting on my desk, and I've seen those ones with fans that you plug in via USB and such.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Reik posted:

Request: I need a good laptop stand for work. My laptop gets hotter than hell sitting on my desk, and I've seen those ones with fans that you plug in via USB and such.

My wife has the Rain mStand:

http://www.amazon.com/mStand-Laptop-Stand-Rain-Design/dp/B000OOYECC

It's designed for Macs (same aluminium finish as the MacBook Pro) but it will obviously work with anything. It's very solidly built and looks quite nice when there's no laptop on it. Probably more expensive than it needs to be because Apple people are used to getting hosed on the price. Anyway, use that along with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and you've got a pretty nice desktop replacement.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
Aroma ADF-212 Smart Fry XL Digital Dual-Basket Deep Fryer
This an excellent and inexpensive deep fryer. It has 4 1/2 stars on amazon and that is no joke: this thing is loving solid. I got one for like $55 on amazon but they're sold out currently. I believe Target also carries it.

A Roku player. It must be easy enough to use because my parents got it connected themselves and love it. A Netflix subscription itself is a good gift too.

Zhu Zhu pets. I didn't see the big deal about these at first, but after getting one as a gift I approve. They are simple but entertaining and our dog is all over them.

Edit: one more, for the :420: crowd, a rolling machine like this.

Cock Democracy has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Nov 27, 2010

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Cock Democracy posted:

Zhu Zhu pets. I didn't see the big deal about these at first, but after getting one as a gift I approve. They are simple but entertaining and our dog is all over them.

Thanks, I'm totally going to look into these as dog toys. Our poor dog has successfully chased away any rodents that come around, and now just spends her days looking hopefully at the backyard.

EDIT: For content, I rarely use cash, so I have one of these ID and card holders in my pocket or in an easily-accessible pocket of my purse. It holds your ID on the transparent side so you don't need to take it out, and it holds any cards on the other side. I currently have 10 cards in the pocket, and it could take more. Also on the ID side, I keep a car key behind the ID (I'd keep a house key also if my ID didn't have my address on it).

Megera has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Nov 27, 2010

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Coffee On My Lap posted:

During the winter my skin dries out real bad after a shower but I hate putting lotion on. I'm cold and rather change into my clothes asap.... which is why this body scrub is amazing:

http://www.100percentpure.com/Body-Scrubs-s/37.htm

After your body wash, just apply this to your whole body (not your face cause it's too oily) and rinse off. Once you dry off you're gonna feel like you already put lotion on. The container and site itself looks really girly, but I always give it out to my guy friends and they love it. I always get Lemon or Lime peel or anything else that's more citrusy because I personally hate sweet scents.

And if you care, they're vegan, cruelty free, and they use soy ink to print their labels and stuff.

Thank you for posting this! I just ordered the kona coffee scrub and eye cream for my mom for christmas. They even have free shipping on all orders right now if you enter "FRSHIP" at checkout.

Also, I have a Zojirushi water boiler and it is by far my favorite thing I own. I have hot water for tea, coffee, and oatmeal all the time. I bought the descaling packs and I've only ever had to use one pack and I've had it for a year. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CV-DSC40-Hybrid-Boiler-Stainless/dp/B000MAFJRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290891211&sr=8-1 and it plays a song when the water boils.

edit: Just noticed someone already posted this water boiler, but I'm leaving it because it's awesome.

thebehaviorist has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Nov 27, 2010

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

What is the best product for hair loss. :smith:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Koh-I-Noor Rapidosketch is the best drawing pen I have ever used.
Smooth lines, comfortable to use, refillable reservoir.
Requires a little bit of cleaning and maintenance but is worth the two minutes it takes to clean every six months.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

That DICK! posted:

A $1 hat at your local Wal-mart.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

noobhedron posted:

The only thing I can say is be sure to use the salt packets provided. I guess I have a sensitive nose or something but when I used them I didn't have any issues. Trying to use kosher salt, even in the exact proportions that the instructions dictated, made my nose hurt a lot and really wasn't worth it for me.
I once ran out of the packets and used "a pinch of table salt", as suggested by my doctor. It burned like the dickens, and the table salt ended up giving me a horrible sinus infection.

... I don't go to that doctor any more. Product works like magic if you use the packets, but don't dare substitute them with anything else!

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

That DICK! posted:

Minoxidil (Rogain, Avacor, Mintop, Loniten). It's proven effective, but you have to continually use it as any hair your regrow will disappear if you cease applying it.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

That DICK! posted:

Every male on both sides of my family has suffered thinning hair and receding hair lines beginning in high school. I just said gently caress it, kept my hair buzzed short and started buying awesome hats. Hats are great. I bet you have a local shop with a wide selection. I don't know anyone who's had the hair growing/strengthening/thickening stuff work for them. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything. I seriously think this is the best way to deal with it.

vvvvvvvvv sup buzzed/hat buddy :hf:

Foppish Yet Dashing has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Nov 27, 2010

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

That DICK! posted:

I already posted. It's the Headblade. Hats and temporary tattoos > hair, any day of the week. I was bummed when I had a 3 inch diameter bald spot in the middle of my 2ft. long hair at 22 years old but since I began shaving my head entirely I honestly don't know why the gently caress I didn't do it sooner. Plus a bunch of cancer afflicted children got wigs which I personally grew, so I felt pretty good about that.

As a bald guy you'll get kind of cold kind of fast in the winter without a hat but in the summer you'll be amazed how much the heat doesn't bother you. Just remember to use sunblock.

BONUS: Virtually everyone looks badass with two-day-stubble.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Mein Eyes! posted:

This poo poo right here:

I'm going to go another router and suggest the KuruToga from glorious Nippon. It features a special rotation mechanism inside of it that rotates your pencil lead when you write. This makes your handwriting extra crisp and means the pencil tip will never drag.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

beanieson posted:

They also make an ink pen (the F-301) that's pretty excellent too. The quality can't be beat for a $4 2 pack. The f-301 looks nearly identical to the pencil you posted above, but zebra also makes a full length stainless version the ZEB29411 that's just tits. Ive had one for 3 years that still looks brand new. It takes the standard F-301 refills which are redilly available, and people who don't know assume it's an expensive pen. The stainless model is on amazon now for about 10 bucks with shipping (sorry, no prime :( ) and is probably worth it as they're harder to find in stores, and all of you should own one.

tl;dr: click the drat link for a high quality, classy as gently caress stainless pen that you'll have forever for cheap.

Can't second the stainless steel pen enough. Pretty much everything beanieson said; for 8 bucks you get a pen that's more enjoyable than some $50+ pens I've owned.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sgs-Cruz posted:

So I'll kick it off with three recommendations:

• Travel mug: the best travel mug in the world (I know this, I've tried all of them) is the Contigo Autoseal. Costs about $20 (USD) for a two-pack at Costco, but available lots of places. Thing keeps my coffee hot for 3–4 hours and has a button you push to drink from it, so if you ever knock it over, you don't spill anything. edit: Oh yeah, and the lid doesn't get cross-threaded nearly as easily as other brands. I have a Starbucks travel mug where I swear you have to precision-align the lid with a microscope to get it to actually seal. The Contigo just screws on easily and doesn't leak.

• The Kensington SlimType keyboard for the computer. I have been using this for a couple years now and love it. It's a low-profile keyboard so it takes some getting used to if you have used full-stroke keys in the past, but the keys have a very nice feel, and more importantly, it's really quiet (I live in a small apartment). It's also nice and small; important when you have limited desk space and have to fit a lot of papers, books, etc. around you.

Well poo poo..the Mrs and I were just looking for new travel mugs, AND she hates how deep the keys are on my keyboard. Nice first post!

joojoo2915
Jun 3, 2006
M-Audio Av 40 powered monitors - Amazing computer speakers.

Gore-Tex Shoes - Awesome for people that live where it snows.

And it's already been mentioned but I think it bears repeating - Netflix. $7.99 to stream all that you want without commercials. And now there a bunch of devices to get it on your T.V.

Shadowmage
Apr 28, 2006

Isaac Asimov posted:

oh my god thank you.

https://www.rei.com
My REI membership has saved me a poo poo TON of cash, and I believe its only $20 for life. Just recently I exchanged all my old running clothes, rain gear, a sleeping mat that was leaky, sandals that fell apart, and some other poo poo, no questions asked. They couldn't find the sleeping mat in my purchase list for some reason and they didn't really care, they just had trouble finding the model number to type in.

It took about 15 minutes max, and I soon had an REI gift card with about $350 loaded onto it, to be spent on whatever I wanted to buy in the store. REI is more anti-evil than google could ever be.

REI is the most overpriced store that I've been in. I took a look over the summer at their Clearance section, and they were selling t-shirts there for $20. $20 for a t-shirt, in the Clearance section.

To contribute, this right here is the best for a incredibly cheap, high-performance bike light:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14450

You'll need to buy a special Lithium-Ion battery (comes in a 2-pack), a charger, and a bike mount, but the price for the whole kit is still much less (~$30 or so) than any decent light at your local bike shop.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

melon cat posted:

I once ran out of the packets and used "a pinch of table salt", as suggested by my doctor. It burned like the dickens, and the table salt ended up giving me a horrible sinus infection.

... I don't go to that doctor any more. Product works like magic if you use the packets, but don't dare substitute them with anything else!
You can actually rinse your nose fine with ordinary table salt blended in water as long as you make sure the salt doesn't contain iodine and your tap water isn't terribly hard. I rinse my nose with a neti pot, which came with a 2,3ml (0.08 fl.oz.) spoon for salt. Works like a charm.

Then for some recommendations:

Lundia Shelves (also known as Skandia in some part of the world)

It's the Lego of furniture. They are easy as hell to set up and take apart and since they're solid wood, they're sturdy like you wouldn't believe it. You can also sand out small dents and scratches unlike you would on veneered particleboard. But the best part is versatility. The pieces come in a variety of standardized shapes and sizes, which makes it easy to build a shelf perfectly fit for almost any apartment and use. The fact that the system has changed little over the decades means they also retain resale value fairly well.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Shadowmage posted:

REI is the most overpriced store that I've been in. I took a look over the summer at their Clearance section, and they were selling t-shirts there for $20. $20 for a t-shirt, in the Clearance section.

Their return policy is awesome, even if you aren't abusing it (Isaac, sounds like you were pushing it man!). I mean, a decent chunk of gear fails under hard use quickly, even if it is good stuff. They just take it all back, no questions asked. And its a co-op, so you get a "dividend check" every year.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

joojoo2915 posted:

Gore-Tex Shoes - Awesome for people that live where it snows.

Vibram FiveFingers are my favorite shoes in the entire goddamn world, and if it didn't get so loving cold here in the winter I'd wear the only pair I own 24/7. I was seriously against running (because I'm a lazy gently caress) but I started running in these and it was a joy. They might get you some weird looks but I call it "gently caress you I'm comfortable" style.

Red Baron has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Nov 28, 2010

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
In line with the Amazon Prime love, we have our own thread in which you can get together with some goons to get on it.

link

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Roccat PC Peripherals

I have the above headset and keyboard (2nd and 3rd pics), and I can honestly say that this stuff is incredibly solid and amazing quality PC hardware, you can tell the quality of the stuff as soon as you take it out the box. Still don't need/want to replace the Naga Mouse though. Basically great German engineering at a reasonable price. Absolutely rapes the Razer Tarantula/MS Sidewinder (and I loved that loving keyboard), and the Creative Fatality HS-1000 headset I used to use.

I'll be buying their stuff for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Shadowmage posted:

....and? That's like saying you found "a car" on sale for $20,000 and can't believe they'd charge so much for "a car" that's supposed to be on sale. What kind of car it is kind of makes a difference. Garments get expensive depending on things like the type and quality of its material. A $20 clearance shirt is not going to be the same quality as a shirt from a $6.95 12-pack of t-shirts at WalMart even though they both say "shirt" on the tag. This ties in quite nicely with what I actually came here to post...

SmartWool socks. Find them on sale, buy a pair or two and spoil your feet. I always hated wool socks and didn't really care about having "nice" socks until I picked up a pair of their merino wool thingies and found the cushiony softness unbeatable. Again, I had people question why I would pay $8+ per pair of socks (even when on sale) when you could pick up multiple pairs of socks for that much but it's quality over quantity. They don't turn to a pulpy mess like cotton socks do when they get wet or very sweaty, they don't get stinky fast like cotton or polyester socks do, they still insulate when damp and they feel like you're walking on clouds. I honestly do feel like their socks are worth the pricetag.

Back to the REI membership thing... $20 for a lifetime membership is very worth it when you factor in the fact that you get 10% cash back on most purchases (which pays for the membership quickly if you shop there much) and having a membership gets you access to their members-only used gear sales. I got a $120 sleeping bag for $18 because the person who had bought it didn't like the shape of it after getting it home. I got a $270 tent for $80 because the person who bought it before said it leaked when it rains (it doesn't. at all). My girlfriend got a $150 jacket for $5 because there was a 1" cut in the material inside the pocket (easy fix). etc. Insane deals there that make up for the $20 membership immediately.

• Locked thread