Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
She
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for this! Bought this exact case (which should be arriving today) for a friend who's always lugging a tin of Drum around. Your pictures sealed the deal. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Sgs-Cruz posted:

Link? Googling gets me this :cool:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...688&marketID=39

My google search turned up: http://www.thecoolist.com/dry-tech-the-20-coolest-umbrellas-youll-ever-see/

One is an umbrella that powers its LEDS through raindrops... crazy!

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Sgs-Cruz posted:

Link? Googling gets me this :cool:

Oh, I would DEFINITELY get that.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's this one:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=468757

Davion
Apr 9, 2002

One shall stand, one shall fall.
I'm going to have to go ahead and recommend the Vapor Genie to anyone that even enjoys a casual puff :420:

This is a way to enjoy your herb without and smoke/smell and it works quickly and effectively. You can 'smoke' in your apartment/dorm and not have to worry about smelling like a pothead or irritating housemates with the smell. Highly recommended, and it's only $50 to boot!

Basically, you load it like a regular pipe and then screw the top bit on. The top piece has a charcoal filter that allows heat through, but instead of combusting the herb you vaporize the active ingredient and voila!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

http://www.krksys.com/product_rokit.php

KRK Rokit 5 powered studio monitors are the perfect gateway into audiophile territory. Very affordable as far as monitors go (currently $149.99 a piece on Amazon, but I've seen them drop as low as $129.99).

If all you've ever owned before this are desktop and bookshelf speakers, or even high quality phones (closed or open), you'll be changed. Monitors deliver sound as crisp and clear as possible. You'll hear things you've never heard in recordings before.

If you want to demo them, a store like Guitar Center will have them in stock. There are also 6s and 8s, but they're larger and pricier, obviously.

Honestly one of the best investments I've ever made.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Davion posted:

I'm going to have to go ahead and recommend the Vapor Genie to anyone that even enjoys a casual puff :420:

This is a way to enjoy your herb without and smoke/smell and it works quickly and effectively. You can 'smoke' in your apartment/dorm and not have to worry about smelling like a pothead or irritating housemates with the smell. Highly recommended, and it's only $50 to boot!

Basically, you load it like a regular pipe and then screw the top bit on. The top piece has a charcoal filter that allows heat through, but instead of combusting the herb you vaporize the active ingredient and voila!

Important to note that there is some smell, it's just very, very faintly like the smell of baking pot brownies, but obviously with much less volume and therefore it dissipates quite fast.

As a BONUS: Once you smoke through a bowl once, the resulting weed is brown, but not totally unusable! While you can smoke it again (if you really, really want to) you can also save the "not-quite-spent weed" up and use it for cooking actual brownies! This is definitely worth the investment, and don't be put off by the slight learning curve! Plus, your health and all.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Sgs-Cruz posted:

Yes. Christ, yes. I would pay quite a bit of money for an actually strong umbrella.

All you would ever need. Unbreakable by wind.

http://www.gustbuster.com/

Edit: I can vouch for it because I built their original web-site, and they gave me a few, that was about ten years ago, I still have and use them.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975
The Western Digital TV Live Plus:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320

This small machine will allow easy use of many kinds of video and audio files on your television / home entertainment system. DVD video, DiVX, XViD, MKV, you name it. Handles subtitle files, too. You can wirelessly connect to drives on your home computer, use flash drives, portable HDs. It also streams video from various services such as Netflix. Once set up it's so simple even your demented grandmother could use it.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

I.T Zander posted:

Requesting an umbrella that won't break in the wind/possibly has a warranty.

I can vouch for the sturdiness of a Senz umbrella.

Tested up to wind force 10 (video)

Here's a video of someone using it in an Ariel Atom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ceLJwq2yGM

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Satorr posted:

http://www.krksys.com/product_rokit.php

KRK Rokit 5 powered studio monitors are the perfect gateway into audiophile territory. Very affordable as far as monitors go (currently $149.99 a piece on Amazon, but I've seen them drop as low as $129.99).

I'm not too up to speed on my speaker :science: so I will go ahead and ask here - would one still need/want a subwoofer for these, or is the range low enough that one would not be necessary?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There are so many people here recommending good oral hygene products, but this one beats them all:

Seriously. Forget all that floss and electric toothbrushes that are generally no more effective than normal brushes, this is the real deal.

It has changed everything and I wish someone had told me about it sooner. As a kid, I associated it only with grandpa and dentures, but this thing is seriously magical. Once you've tried it, you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else.

It's better than both flossing and brushing, and does both at the same time. I didn't tell my oral hygienist I had bought one, but 5 minutes after sitting in the chair she demanded to know what I had done.

It replaces everything else on your sink when you use the brush attachment. You don't even need toothpaste, though you can use some if it makes you feel better. Don't get the hand held one, it doesn't hold enough water. Click on the picture for the one you want. I know I sound like I'm gay for this thing but words can't express how amazing it is. You'll never use anything else, ever again.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Dec 2, 2010

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bhodi posted:

:words:

How often does one need to refill the reservoir?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Etrips posted:

How often does one need to refill the reservoir?

Once per session, if you're going pretty quick. More if not. It's just tap water, so it's not really an issue either way.

*edit* I need to get in the habit of using mine again, instead of flossing. It does require a countertop surface though, which is a problem in minimalist bathrooms with a "floating" sink and cabinet, which is what I'm using now.

Locus has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Dec 2, 2010

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, once per session. Fill up from the sink. Stop when it's done. It's the perfect size.

For a while I was doing one fill for the brush, then one for the floss, until I realized that the brush+water was cleaning well enough that I didn't even need the extra step.

I feel sorry for people who have a floating sink in their primary bathroom. That sucks. Seriously I know I'm just a voice on the internet but this thing is worth it's weight in awesome, I really can not say enough good things about it.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Dec 2, 2010

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
And if you're not going to be using it for a bit (ie going away for a few days) empty the reservoir. Stuff can grow in there...

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Isn't there one that you connect to a showerhead or something?

I need a recommendation for warm work clothes. I work at the airport, and lately it's been getting as low as 40 degrees or less at night. The uniform I get does nothing for me. I basically need to keep my core and my hands warm. On top I wear 2 cotton hoodies, then a t-shirt and undershirt. Don't have any warm work gloves, but I need to get some soon. i wear shorts since I have to move around a lot, my legs rarely get cold.

I also need some good rainwear.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

b0nes posted:

Isn't there one that you connect to a showerhead or something?

I need a recommendation for warm work clothes. I work at the airport, and lately it's been getting as low as 40 degrees or less at night. The uniform I get does nothing for me. I basically need to keep my core and my hands warm. On top I wear 2 cotton hoodies, then a t-shirt and undershirt. Don't have any warm work gloves, but I need to get some soon. i wear shorts since I have to move around a lot, my legs rarely get cold.

I also need some good rainwear.

Underarmour coldgear. Expensive, but gets the job done of keeping you warm and fuzzy.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Etrips posted:

Underarmour coldgear. Expensive, but gets the job done of keeping you warm and fuzzy.

ok I was actually looking into getting some, I didn't know anyone who had them and if it was worth it. I think there are 3 levels of warmth?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Narxysus posted:

If you're talking wallets, I can recommend these:

http://www.dynomighty.com/products.php?s=mighty%20wallets

They ain't classy, and they don't do coins, but they're super thin (made of plastic but put together like paper, i.e. small fibers). Light and durable and cheap. I like mine because my wallet is only as thick as the contents - the wallet is negligible in width. I think I've had mine in daily use for about a year and it shows no signs of damage.

To contrast I have had the airmail one and after 9 months of use the paper has seriously faded / yellowed, and keeping a license and two credit cards and some receipts in there have deformed it so much that I need to keep it held together with a rubber band to keep things from falling out and the design is all faded. Especially if you use the side pockets (the ones you can get to without opening / closing the wallet).

I emailed dynomighty about cleaning / pressing it to get out the bent corners it and they said, "nope. these are not designed to be cleaned, the wear pattern is natural." I wound up taking everything out and putting it under a book for a week or so to straighten out the creases but the wear pattern is still there. Now it looks like I use a nasty crumpled up envelope to keep my stuff in instead of a neat wallet that looks like an airmail envelope.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seconding the wet shaving. You should hit up Mama Bear's only 9 bucks for a dish of soap that lasts you FOREVER. I think I've had my soap for going on a year now, and I shave maybe twice a week. Actually, just wet shaving in general. If you're like me and HATE shaving, pick up wet shaving! Do it once or twice a week but make it a pampering occasion where you get a closer shave, have higher quality products, less skin irritation, and save a LOT of money. I spent $15 on blades and I'm still going on two years switching out blades every shave. Best switch I made in the bathroom, and best kept hygeine secret.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

b0nes posted:

ok I was actually looking into getting some, I didn't know anyone who had them and if it was worth it. I think there are 3 levels of warmth?

Well I've mainly been buying stuff to run outside (20-40 degrees) so your situation might differ slightly. What exactly is your uniform that you have to wear?

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Bhodi posted:

There are so many people here recommending good oral hygene products, but this one beats them all:

Haha, when I first glanced at that I thought it was a weird-looking mask or something. It looks like the face of one of the aliens from Star Wars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sgs-Cruz posted:

Yes. Christ, yes. I would pay quite a bit of money for an actually strong umbrella.
Golf umbrellas are what you want. Despite popular belief, lots of competitive golf occurs in gale force conditions (15mph sustained, 40mph gusts).

Anything with a double canopy design like this will work. They're also wide (to cover yourself and your golf bag) so they work well if you have a walking partner:

http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/browse/accessories-umbrellas

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Dec 2, 2010

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Benchmade.... YES! I absolutely always have mine on me. It's such a useful tool to have with you at work or when doing chores. I've used mine for just about every conceivable chore and it's still sharp enough to shave hair (D2 steel woohoo). I'd replace it with another in a heartbeat if I lost it despite the cost.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

Golf umbrellas are what you want. Despite popular belief, lots of competitive golf occurs in gale force conditions (15mph sustained, 40mph gusts).

Anything with a double canopy design like this will work. They're also wide (to cover yourself and your golf bag) so they work well if you have a walking partner:

Seconding this, I live in Florida and I grabbed a $25 double-canopied golf umbrella from Publix years ago, the thing has survived several tropical storms. The only thing is that the sturdiness also means it's not collapsible, so all folded up it's still 3 feet long. But I keep it in my car and it's never in the way.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
hello ladies

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

http://countycomm.com/bladetech.htm

Click here to view the full image

In general county comm is pretty badass. I have their scissors, little box opener razor things, lots of poo poo.

Dr. Fancypants
Dec 18, 2003

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
SOMETIMES
I LIKE
TAFFY
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Josh Lyman posted:

Thirding this. Got mine at target. Its a beast. I've used it in the heaviest of utah snowstorms and as a crutch.

Got mine at target:

http://www.target.com/Auto-Open-Double-Canopy-Golf-Umbrella-Navy/dp/B000NIKH84/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Everyone should buy a shower filter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006VVN1S/ref=oss_product. This thing has changed my life. Well not really but it's made my life a bit more pleasant. So I guess you could say it has changed my life to a small extent. Anyway if you have heavily chlorinated or hard water (or both, gently caress you city water) it will filter out all that motherfucking poo poo. Benefits: if you dye your hair it will last longer, you don't have to smell chlorine while you're showering, and you don't have to clean as much--my grout doesn't turn icky colors anymore. Also some paranoid hippie poo poo about not wanting to inhale chemical-filled steam but it really is nice. I bought it in the spring and haven't needed to change the filter yet.

smallTalkExpress
Dec 2, 2010

Slim Killington posted:

Aquaphor. You NEED this stuff. It's essentially just Eucerin which is a dry/cracked skin cream, but Aquaphor is the brand's water-based variant instead of being petroleum-based. As someone who hates lotion, this stuff has been miraculous. I originally found it when recommending a tattoo-healing ointment to my customers (it heals tattoos completely in around 3 days if used right) and have used it for everything since.

It's an absolute must for cracked skin, wounds, dry skin, but it works awesome as lip balm too. I know a guy that styles his hair with it (which is kind of gross, but whatever). Aquaphor is a wonder product.

Protip: USE A LITTLE BIT. It's meant to be completely rubbed in and if you use a wad of it, you're going to have a layer of the poo poo that never goes away.

A CHALLENGER APPEARS

I actually have both of these sitting in my room now, and I must say; between Aquaphor and Corn Huskers. I like the latter much more. It's like a tub of animal fat that you rub all over your hands (or something). It's not oily or anything, just kind of evaporates. You just have to be sure to use a little bit though. I would defiantly give it a try if your in the market for lotion.

Tractate Middoth
Mar 6, 2007

The conclusion that he was dead was inevitable.
Aveda hair products. I have wavy hair with a tendency to be frizzy, but I like it to be completely straight. I absolutely hate buying expensive shampoo, and wanted it all to be a scam, but after extensive trials, Aveda really does make a huge difference. I even experimented with cheap shampoo and conditioner + Aveda styling products, or cheap shampoo + Aveda conditioner & products, but when I used all Aveda stuff, my hair was just so much lighter and cleaner and shinier.

Luckily it works best when you don't use too much (especially the styling stuff--just use a tiny bit!), and it keeps you from having to wash your hair every day, so it lasts for a long time. When I use the Smooth Infusion products, I can get away with not using a flat iron--it doesn't make my hair rail straight or anything, but it's definitely straight. And when I do use a flat iron, Damage Remedy Daily Repair keeps it soft and gives it a nice shine. Plus I love having my hair smell like ginger and spicy orange.

For the record, I find the Aveda image revoltingly trendy and self satisfied. I hate being an Aveda user, and would much prefer to use supermarket shampoo if it worked as well, but I'm completely addicted to that clean, weightless feeling.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

I.T Zander posted:

Requesting an umbrella that won't break in the wind/possibly has a warranty.

Couple of options that I've had and would recommend if you want one that is more portable than a golfing sized one.

Davek @ http://davekny.com/umbrellas.htm
Love mine, I have a SOLO that travels with me and from DC to Chicago to home it's never given me a problem.

EMS's Shed Rain @ http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3663312
I had forgotten the Davek and there was a REI near the office I was visiting so stopped in and got this. Honestly it's drat near as good as the Davek at 1/3 the price.

For more full size:
Real Defenses Unbreakable umbrella @ http://www.real-self-defense.com/unbreakable-umbrella.html
Got it as a xmas present and it's proved itself against an attacking stray dog one night. Popped it open and it kept the dog away from me and my neice. Dog even bit onto the fabric and tore it and the company replaced it for free. Very glad I had this because they found the dog after a cop had run it off and it tested positive for rabies.

I've also got various golf umbrellas stashed in cars and such, they just work so well, especially covering more than just myself.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

DoobieKeebler posted:

(Reach) Flosser

http://dentistry.about.com/od/dentalhealth/ss/Usingaflosser.htm

Hate flossing because you have to wrap that floss tightly around your fingers? Or because you have to get your hands into your mouth? That you can't reach your molars? That you have to wash your hands after? The flosser hands all that.

Drawbacks - refill packs are expensive in terms of raw materials (5$/20 heads) but I swap heads once every other week, so I spend 5$ a year on heads. The soft rubber on the handle gets worn down, but it's more visual than anything else. Side-to-side motion not as effective hand-flossing when using something like oral-b satin floss which is a thin, flat, wide floss versus the refillable head's thin string floss.

Other - I've used one for the last five years. Sometimes I floss just because it sits on my desk. I've also tried the models where you tie the floss yourself, but the floss tends to dislodge if you try to maintain any level of tension. Without tension, it's useless.

I used to use this and I loved it, but I stopped using it because I just can't find refills for it anywhere. Instead I use these:

Admittedly not quite as good, but perfectly adequate, a hell of a lot cheaper (about $4 for 60), and much easier to find. There are other, even cheaper cheaper disposable varieties available, but I like the right angle ones because I have a terrible gag reflex and can't stand having my fingers in my mouth.

Also, I really don't think you're meant to reuse floss for two weeks. That's loving gross.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
Sea Foam

This poo poo is absolute magic at cleaning the fuel system of your crappy old engine. It's also a preservative so you can throw it into your lawn mower for the winter and your snow blower for the summer, and it'll start right the gently caress up again 6 months later.

Works with carbs and fuel injectors.

Some people also throw it into their crankcase and it cleans out sludge. Do not do this unless you have a real problem to address though, sometimes sludge is the only thing holding your shitbox engine together.

I use it all the time (almost every gas tank has some) in my motorcycle and outboard. Both I picked up ran like absolute poo poo and this stuff saved me from having to rebuild the carbs. I recommend it for any engine that you only use intermittently.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Florida Betty posted:

Also, I really don't think you're meant to reuse floss for two weeks. That's loving gross.

But there's also no way you're intended to throw away the heads on that flosser because the cost would be obscene.

Tractate Middoth
Mar 6, 2007

The conclusion that he was dead was inevitable.
You can get them at Target for $4 for 28. A little more than $4 a month doesn't seem too bad. For the price of one coffee at Starbucks, you can blah blah blah. I like the mint flavor ones.

Also you can get 168 for 20.77 at Amazon, which makes them 12 cents each.

EtOH
Nov 25, 2007

by Fistgrrl

sativa dreams posted:

If you have any number of cats, don't even think about it, just loving buy it now. I bought one in September and I highly, highly regret not buying one when I first got my cat years ago. It is one of the single best purchases I have ever made in my life. I have one cat and I empty every 7-10 days....takes just a minute or two, and I don't have to touch or scoop any litter, it's goddamn awesome. Plus it will pay for itself over the years; I went through one 35 lb tub of litter in 3 months, which is amazing compared to how much I used to use it. It uses any kind of regular trash bags and scoopable litter, no proprietary poo poo at all.

I've had zero problems in the time that I've had it. Comes with 90 day no questions asked return policy and a 18 month warranty, can't beat that! Plus it's made in the USA :patriot:

Buy it....you will not regret it. And if you're a lazy scooper like me, your cats will thank you for having a clean litter box at all times. Plus its a death star robot for your cats, what's better than that?

Okay, you sold me bigtime on this. I saw your post, and bought it like 10 minutes later. I always thought these automatic litter things were unreliable, and that you had to buy crappy proprietary litter/bags/whatever. I saw the "How it works" link on the website and was stunned... you can use your own litter, AND it uses normal cheap kitchen bags? No combs to break? Hot drat!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Can anyone suggest a good pair of safety glasses?

My dad wants a new pair for Christmas that won't fog up when he wears them in combination with a dusk mask. Apparently when he exhales the breath goes out the top of the dust mask and fogs up his glasses, which understandably is a bit annoying.

RalAegidius
Nov 12, 2004

It's a crow. In a box.

ayekappy posted:

Zojirushi rice maker, with Fuzzy Logic.

I have one of these and it is THE best rice cooker I have ever seen. I have the Zojirushi NS-LAC05 and it's great for single people or small households since it can handle a small amount of rice and takes up less counter space.

Narxysus posted:

If you're talking wallets, I can recommend these:

http://www.dynomighty.com/products.php?s=mighty%20wallets

Looks like those are made of Tyvek, which is used for large envelopes a lot these days. It requires a knife to open -- impossible to tear with your hands.

Biotene Toothpaste for those of you with dry-mouth and/or who hate the strong flavoring of most toothpastes. My medication makes my mouth dry all the time and this toothpaste (they make a mouth rinse, too) actually relieves it for a few hours. Plus, the flavor is mild without being all weird like the baking soda toothpastes.

Poop Off is a spray cleaner that dissolves and removes bird poop and other bird-related grossness (like regurgitated food). It's nontoxic to the birds so you can use it on their dishes and perches and such. I've used it for years and it's seriously awesome. Some pet stores carry it.

Etrips posted:

Any suggestions on pillows?

I've tried many kinds both cheap and expensive, foam and down, and whatnot. The ones I buy now are the $8 Wal-Mart foam pillows. I put hypoallergenic zip-covers on them. It has been the best quality/cost compromise I've found.

I second the Benchmade knife recommendation, and I also recommend Al Mar knives. Expensive, but incredibly durable and very high quality steel.

For rosacea, I highly recommend Eucerin's Redness Relief products. They actually work and are not expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
Can anyone suggest a good digital camera that turns on and is ready to go as fast as possible? I always want to take a picture of something that's happening but before my phone is ready it's over or we're gone and not to mention the quality leaves something to be desired.

• Locked thread