Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

joojoo2915 posted:

Gore-Tex Shoes - Awesome for people that live where it snows.

Vibram FiveFingers are my favorite shoes in the entire goddamn world, and if it didn't get so loving cold here in the winter I'd wear the only pair I own 24/7. I was seriously against running (because I'm a lazy gently caress) but I started running in these and it was a joy. They might get you some weird looks but I call it "gently caress you I'm comfortable" style.

Red Baron has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Nov 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Etrips posted:

I see you and raise you Sennheiser PC 350

Gotta say, I own these and everything already said about the audio quality and comfort is true, but also the mic works incredibly well. Anything said is crisp, clear, and free of background noises. It's an amazing headset.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Illegibly Eligible posted:

Can you expound upon this? Wouldn't frequently accessed areas wear out faster than infrequently used ones, and don't some tasks read/write hundreds or thousands of times per minute? As I've said, I'm not terribly versed so if SSD operates via some kind of lunar magic you'll have to explain it to me... I've just managed to kill a few USB drives in my life by exceeding the read/write limit.

As a small aside, and I don't know what the general consensus here is on these, but hybrid drives are advertised as being a cross between a traditional hard drive and the newer SSDs. While you obviously don't get the same lightning quick performance as SSDs will provide, they're faster (allegedly) than traditional hard drives. They can be a nice compromise between price and performance, although that's obviously going to be less and less of a deal breaker as time goes on.

This is a review of the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB hybrid drive (for laptops) so you can get a better feel for the products than I would otherwise be able to provide. I have one of these in my laptop, and it's certainly gently caress-all faster than my last computer, but it's also 5+ years old, so I'm not exactly objective.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Davion posted:

I'm going to have to go ahead and recommend the Vapor Genie to anyone that even enjoys a casual puff :420:

This is a way to enjoy your herb without and smoke/smell and it works quickly and effectively. You can 'smoke' in your apartment/dorm and not have to worry about smelling like a pothead or irritating housemates with the smell. Highly recommended, and it's only $50 to boot!

Basically, you load it like a regular pipe and then screw the top bit on. The top piece has a charcoal filter that allows heat through, but instead of combusting the herb you vaporize the active ingredient and voila!

Important to note that there is some smell, it's just very, very faintly like the smell of baking pot brownies, but obviously with much less volume and therefore it dissipates quite fast.

As a BONUS: Once you smoke through a bowl once, the resulting weed is brown, but not totally unusable! While you can smoke it again (if you really, really want to) you can also save the "not-quite-spent weed" up and use it for cooking actual brownies! This is definitely worth the investment, and don't be put off by the slight learning curve! Plus, your health and all.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Can anyone suggest a good digital camera that turns on and is ready to go as fast as possible? I always want to take a picture of something that's happening but before my phone is ready it's over or we're gone and not to mention the quality leaves something to be desired.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Elephantgun posted:

This. I got a laptop from best buy that was GEEK SQUAD CERTIFIED. I got it home and was severely disappointed with how it ran, since it was a gaming laptop. I reformatted everything 2 weeks later and just installed the basics and my own antivirus program and it ran fantastic. Not to mention they acted like I knew nothing about computers because I was a girl.

They treated you like that because you were shopping with them. Geek Squad is the only place I've ever interviewed for where I wanted to walk out before the interview was over. I'm sure there are some good ones, but they do not seem to be the norm.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

I just got a Logitech G13 today and I have to say it's amazing. I love a keyboard, because... Well, it's board of keys; you can do a lot of stuff with it. However, having a dedicated (and contoured) game pad is much more like the console heritage I'm used to. On top of that, the LCD screen is less of a gimmick than I originally suspected. It does, sometimes, show highly useful information, and it's easily customizable for whatever games I've tried it on so far. If you know a PC gamer, this would be a great gift for them!

e:

\/ That's an equally good reason to use it. It's just a well designed pad of keys with functionality limited by your imagination.

Red Baron has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Dec 9, 2010

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

TheShineNSB posted:

:words: about languages

This is amazing! I ran through a demo for French (a language I don't know, but would like to learn) and Spanish (something I took years ago in high school and speak very casually to my friends in) and I have to say I was impressed by the demo. The Spanish part in particular made me wish they had taught in a manner similar to this when I was in school, as I felt it promoted the important "parts" and kept the pace quick. Not such a big focus on learning tons of vocabulary and then drilling grammar until your ears bleed. As with the poster above me, I'll probably end up buying one, if not both.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

It's a bit niche, but for PC gamers the Logitech G13 is a great accessory for playing PC games, and is something I highly recommend to everyone who might use it. It works better for me than a full replacement keyboard, and it has a lot of functionality in the software that comes with it. On top of that, playing games before on my laptop was just killing my wrist, but since switching to the G13 I can game for hours on end without discomfort. (Of course you should never play video games for more than ten hours straight unless it's the weekend they came out and you're a super nerd.)

Aside from a mouse, it's one of the best things I've ever bought for my laptop.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

dissss posted:

^^^^

Do you actually use the little joystick on that for anything?

I can see how it would be nice for use with a laptop but don't really see it giving any value over a decent quality conventional keyboard (like a G15) when used with a desktop

No, 99% of the time it's just another set of five buttons (four in direction, one in click) but I recently began playing FFXIV, and there I use the joystick for moving (as I heard it's better with a gamepad) and I feel like overall the experience is better. I wouldn't use the joystick everywhere, but I wouldn't play a single game without my G13 now. Also, if you can get cool with using the joystick to move, it really opens up a lot of options on the keypad as far as bindings go. Did I mention making macros is also super easy?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

^^^ Why a latex pillow?

Liface posted:

It's more of a time-saver. You don't have to soap up every dish before you put the sponge on it. It's great for silverware.

It's great for everything. I think we've had one in the house for as long as I can remember. Aside from having one of those badass industrial sprayers in your kitchen it's the best thing I've used to clean dishes.

Well... Sans the actual dishwasher, of course.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Phummus posted:

My shaving regimen consists of nutrogena's shaving cream. Its just a cream, it doesn't foam up.

I shave with a mach 3. I follow up with Nivea for Men Sensitive aftershave balm.

One of the key things to a good shave is to start hot and end cold.

Splash your face with hot water to open up your pores. Lather up (optionally oil up first), shave, rinse with water thats as cold as you can stand. Apply aftershave.

I've also heard you should shave with cold water on the blades because warm water would make them warp? Confirm/deny? It's one of those things that seem logical, but could just be bull. How do you like the aftershave? I've never used any before, but given how godawful the razorburn gets in the winter I'm seriously considering it.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on school backpacks/messenger bags? Probably looking to carry around my iPad, wireless keyboard, books, and notepads.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags.html

Bough one of these back when I was in high-school, circa 2002, and I have taken it everywhere I went until this year when I got a serious laptop bag with serious protection in it. (I upgraded to a really nice lappy and wanted some dedicated protection, and my old case wouldn't fit on this one so I just went for a whole new bag.) Until then I was using this bag for transporting EVERYTHING I didn't want to carry in my arms, and when you strap yourself into this bad boy it's a solid, snug fit. They come in a range of sizes and despite the incessant abuse I've given mine (left it outside in a rainstorm with a full load of books/homework and the inner-liner kept it dry, tossed and thrown the whole thing around) the only signs of wear are a few scuff marks on the inside.

I expect to still be using this bag on the day I finally escape this mortal coil. It is literally the last all-purpose bag I'll ever buy... Until I decide to finally get the biggest one they offer.

e: it looks like they now have a line of laptop bags as well! And it also looks like they no longer offer the size larger than my bag (Metropolis) so I guess this is really the last bag I'll ever buy!

Red Baron has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Mar 19, 2011

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Tony Danza Claus posted:

You're kidding, right?

AeroPress. Dirt cheap, super simple, just needs quick rinsing, and according to every coffee aficionado ever, makes coffee a million billion times better than the world's most expensive machines.

AeroPress.

Everything else is garbage.

That looks pretty cool, but the difference between a french press and a machine-made cup is night and day to me. Once you get pressed you never go back.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

I have a really dusty room, and I want to reduce the amount of it just floating around and potentially being all up in my laptop and such. What are my options? I try to dust with swiffers or whatever pretty frequently, but we have a lot of cats and carpet so even though I keep my doors shut I still get some driftage from that I feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

IffyNewtz posted:

The Swatch Skin watch:
Are you like me and you can't wear chunky watches because you notice the weight of it constantly, and your sleeve gets caught on it everytime you move?

The Skin is the only watch I've found that I can wear comfortably.
They have a 4mm thick case which means it never gets in the way. They are fairly cheap, they are are fairly stylish, they're well made, there's loads of designs and different straps, and they don't really say anything about you unlike most watches (a lot of the Swatch designs are unisex).

I used to wear a watch, but the strap broke/came apart and since then I haven't really bothered to get another one. However, since then I've noticed I just feel... Naked without one. Like something is missing from my overall look, but I can't see the need for a watch since I have a cell phone and it has the clock on it as well, but I'd really like to get back into the "time on the fly" game. Can anyone recommend a decent watch for a dude that will withstand my constant abuse/washing it/dropping it/stepping on it/being lost for extended periods of time, and yet despite all this still go well with dress/professional wear? I'm about to make the transition from college to the working world so I don't know if the most rugged watch is the best move.

• Locked thread