Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

lamb posted:

Magic erasers are the best things ever if you have kids. They take scuffs off of walls, hard water stains off of faucets and clean soap scum with only water. They're the only product I can think of that I've bought for other people just because I was excited for them to try it.

Anyone know if these would damage automotive paint? My jeep is a 2ton fly swater, and I got the urge recently to try a magic eraser to get bugs off the grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Mein Eyes! posted:

This poo poo right here:

The Zebra M-301 stainless steel mechanical pencil, also known as the world's most perfect marriage of price and quality. Refillable, comfortable, very sturdy, and with some extra erasers it'll last you months of happy writing. The stock graphite is a little light for me, so I recommend switching in a slightly darker grain.

They also make an ink pen (the F-301) that's pretty excellent too. The quality can't be beat for a $4 2 pack. The f-301 looks nearly identical to the pencil you posted above, but zebra also makes a full length stainless version the ZEB29411 that's just tits. Ive had one for 3 years that still looks brand new. It takes the standard F-301 refills which are redilly available, and people who don't know assume it's an expensive pen. The stainless model is on amazon now for about 10 bucks with shipping (sorry, no prime :( ) and is probably worth it as they're harder to find in stores, and all of you should own one.

tl;dr: click the drat link for a high quality, classy as gently caress stainless pen that you'll have forever for cheap.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Xenoid posted:

Glue gone?

Protip: heat the velcro/sticker/whatever up with a hair dryer first.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Elephantgun posted:

Anyone know of any decently priced yet quality erasers, preferably that I can buy in bulk? I've never had an eraser (aside from a pencil eraser I regularly buy, which rules) that I've been totally satisfied with, they either leave behind a pinkish shade or are too glossy and don't pick anything up. I've ruined drawings ripping paper because my eraser just doesn't pick anything up. Something relatively big.

I always kept a couple of these in my kit when I was still sketching a ton. The smaller tip is great for details.

Also, holy poo poo do you guys love rice. Great thread.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Swanky posted:

In my six years of SA browsing and posting, I have never seen a more perfect post+username combination than this.

3 years with that username, waiting... biding his time for the perfect opportunity, it's finally paid off.

Edit VVVVV your vagina is a Japanese horror film irl

beanieson has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Dec 8, 2010

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Are those little Roomba things worth getting? What if my home is a labyrinth of furniture?

And if I'm in the market for a new full-size vacuum cleaner because my old one is a stupid broken piece of crap that I didn't even like that much when it worked ok, what would you suggest? Dysons are kind of expensive, but I've heard good things. Are they worth it?

The roomba does a decent job of cleaning small spaces, but with a larger, open floor plan home you're going to end up using the "virtual walls" a bunch. My house isn't giant, but the living/dining/kitchen is one big space, and it get's lost unless you break it up into sections.

No regrets though. I set it up in a section each day as I leave for work, and now I've got much less dog hair laying around.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Illegibly Eligible posted:

Can anyone recommend an inflatable kayak that isn't some crap rig used by a backwater rafting company?

+1 on this, I've been looking to get into kayaking but don't really have room for a hard shell boat. Are inflatables crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I got a SYMA S107 R/C helicopter for christmas, and this thing is loads of fun. There have been some pretty awesome advancements in the last couple of years with tiny electric motors, and rechargeable batteries, which are now being applied to ridiculous toys such as this.

I had one similar a few years ago from a different manufacturer, which didn't have a functional trim control, and was only a 2 channel controller (up/down, left/right, but no forward/backward control. It would fly forward constantly at a slow pace). These are 3 channel, so you can control everything (up/down forward/back left/right) and actually has a really sensitive trim control. Within minutes, you can maintain the thing in a hover, or do donuts around furniture, or terrorize your cat/child.

Anyway, you can find these on amazon for as low as 30 bucks. They are about 7 inches long, and too light to fly in any kind of wind, so you'll be indoors for the most part. It's just amazing to me that something like this was not possible in my youth.

The only downside is the flight/charge time. A full charge will take about 40 minutes, and that's good for about 12 minutes of flight. You get helicopter blue balls pretty quick.

edit: to clarify, these things are stabilized by a built in gyroscope. The trim adjusts the gyro to give you stable flight instead of just spinning left constantly like the first one I had a few years back.

beanieson has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Dec 30, 2010

• Locked thread