Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I always use Colgate toothpaste. I started after my stepfather went to the dentist after 10 years of not going and had no problems whatsoever. Sure enough, a few months ago I went after having never seen a dentist in 12 years and after a 5 minute cleaning I was completely done. No cavities or any other concerns, and I'm only a twice daily brusher. I personally suggest the baking soda/peroxide variety.

On a related note, spend the $15 to get a Crest Spinbrush - get the rechargeable one. I could never bring myself to drop the $100+ to get the Oral-B or SoniCare kits but I decided that I could spare $15 if I decided I didn't like the Spinbrush. The drat thing has lasted me three years and is still going strong. The replacement heads are as cheap as a good toothbrush, and if you've never used an electric toothbrush before you'll be amazed at how much stuff you're leaving on your teeth. You'll feel the difference. My dentist was utterly shocked when I told her that I was using the el cheapo model of electric toothbrush and didn't even seem to believe me at first. I bought her one and she sent me a thank you card to let me know that it replaced her Oral-B kit :D

Hyundai makes great cars for the DIY mechanic. Working on these vehicles is actually a pleasure. It's like they're made to be easily repaired, a concept which seems to boggle the mind of every other auto maker these days. Make sure you do your research and don't get a lovely model/year though.

If you wear glasses, check out Zenni Optical. I've been buying my glasses from them for the past few years. The one frameless pair I got actually broke after I had them about two weeks and Zenni replaced them for free with no questions asked. I get compliments on my glasses a few times per week. They have all kinds of colors, styles, hinges, lens shapes and perks (transition lenses, tinting, etc.), you name it - and they're pretty drat cheap too. They also list dimensions of their frames/lenses so you don't end up with comically tiny glasses on your massive head.

Do you shave your head? If so, get a Headblade. It's like half-razor-half-matchbox car. Replacement cartridges are extremely cheap as far as razors go, and in no time you'll be shaving your head closer than you ever have in less than 5 minutes. Hell, it may even become part of your showering routine in the morning.

My Motorola VE20 is going on three years old and is still the best phone I've ever had. It's a dumbphone that supports up to an 8gb memory card and can play music for 12 hours straight on a fully charged standard battery. Even after I get my next phone this thing is going to be my go to mp3 player.

Request: I'm looking to get into kayaking. I've been rafting for almost 20 years and have read a ton of books on the subject over the last few months with many more in queue. Any craft recommendations would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

That DICK! posted:

What is the best product for hair loss. :smith:

I already posted. It's the Headblade. Hats and temporary tattoos > hair, any day of the week. I was bummed when I had a 3 inch diameter bald spot in the middle of my 2ft. long hair at 22 years old but since I began shaving my head entirely I honestly don't know why the gently caress I didn't do it sooner. Plus a bunch of cancer afflicted children got wigs which I personally grew, so I felt pretty good about that.

As a bald guy you'll get kind of cold kind of fast in the winter without a hat but in the summer you'll be amazed how much the heat doesn't bother you. Just remember to use sunblock.

BONUS: Virtually everyone looks badass with two-day-stubble.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

drukqs posted:

GET A SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE.

Isn't there a finite limit on the number of reads/writes SSD can handle? This has been the major factor keeping me away, but since I don't really keep up with SSD technology maybe this has been fixed. If not, I'll likely pass. I tend to keep my computers around until they're utterly broken, not just outdated.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

There is, but it would take decades of writes to start to effect performance with modern ones. The MTBF is higher than for traditional hard drives now. I saw the math done for one of the popular drives once, it would take an average of three total writes a day for 85 years to wear it out.

Can you expound upon this? Wouldn't frequently accessed areas wear out faster than infrequently used ones, and don't some tasks read/write hundreds or thousands of times per minute? As I've said, I'm not terribly versed so if SSD operates via some kind of lunar magic you'll have to explain it to me... I've just managed to kill a few USB drives in my life by exceeding the read/write limit.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

Nibble posted:

I'm also fond of my Braun 8000-series electric shaver, though I'm not sure they're available to buy anymore. A blade still gives a slightly closer shave, but the electric is about 90% as good a shave with a fraction of the time and mess.

This.

I've had mine for five years (although it might be the next-step-down series, I'm not sure) and it's still going strong as ever. I've spent maybe $50 on replacement blades/foils, and when the cleaning solution runs out it's easy enough to clean out the dirt and refill it. All it is is alcohol and a small bit of oil. I've refilled my original cartridge with just straight 91% rubbing alcohol whenever it empties and haven't had to buy a second reservoir. I've never once oiled this thing and it runs just as well as when it was brand new.

This shaver has cost me $30/year averaged over its lifetime so far and is the best electric shaver I've ever used.

which reminds me...

You want to use Gillette Aftershave Gel. This stuff is better than anything you're currently putting on your flesh after you rake an ultrasharp blade across it, including A+D or antibiotic ointment. It's very lightly scented and actually smells good, doesn't burn when you put it on, and dries very fast so it doesn't feel greasy or oily. I use it on my head and face after I shave them and never get any breakouts or pimples. Don't bother with Gillette's aftershave lotion though, it's total poo poo.

Request: Can anyone recommend a deodorant/antiperspirant that's a clear gel, actually works, and doesn't contain aluminum? Right now I'm using Gillette stuff that I find next to my aftershave - it works great but it has aluminum and from what I hear that may contribute to Alzheimer's.

Illegibly Eligible has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Nov 29, 2010

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

Beaters posted:

Just FYI, aluminum has been pretty much exonerated as a causative factor in AD. That hypothesis was current about 25 years ago and it didn't pan out. It lives on in urban myth, though.

Why I've been using aluminum-based anti-perspirants for decades and, uh, what was I going to say?

I always thought it was a myth and for the duration of '95-'05 I believed it but then I read some "new study" which linked aluminum accumulation in the body to AD and breast cancer. FFS I don't know whether to believe the things I learned in grade school or all of the new information which contradicts it and is generally proven to be bullshit.

I feel sorry for children nowadays.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

sativa dreams posted:

If you have any number of cats, don't even think about it, just loving buy it now. I bought one in September and I highly, highly regret not buying one when I first got my cat years ago. It is one of the single best purchases I have ever made in my life. I have one cat and I empty every 7-10 days....takes just a minute or two, and I don't have to touch or scoop any litter, it's goddamn awesome. Plus it will pay for itself over the years; I went through one 35 lb tub of litter in 3 months, which is amazing compared to how much I used to use it. It uses any kind of regular trash bags and scoopable litter, no proprietary poo poo at all.

I've had zero problems in the time that I've had it. Comes with 90 day no questions asked return policy and a 18 month warranty, can't beat that! Plus it's made in the USA :patriot:

Buy it....you will not regret it. And if you're a lazy scooper like me, your cats will thank you for having a clean litter box at all times. Plus its a death star robot for your cats, what's better than that?

I'll raise you the Litter Kwitter. Forget cat litter entirely. Combined with a Flapperless 1.28 gpf toilet you'll save a ton of money (and mess) per year. I managed to score one of these toilets last year at home depot for $90 on an amazing sale, and with the toilet I replaced it paid for itself in water savings over the course of a few months. As a bonus, this thing is designed to be virtually leakproof from the seal between the tank and bowl and it is one of the stronger flushing toilets I've ever seen. Having had to fix toilets dozens of times over the last few years I've become extremely familiar with them and everything from the design to the fabrication and materials of these things are top notch. Niagara built the better turdtrap.

EDIT: TAKE MEASUREMENTS FIRST! The place where the bowl meets the tank sticks out about an inch or so behind where a standard toilet does. Luckily my bathroom wall had enough room between studs where I could "bend" the drywall juuuuust enough to make this thing fit. I didn't take measurements before purchasing it and luckily I didn't have to build in a recessed area or drag the toilet down two flights of stairs and 30 miles back to the store.

Illegibly Eligible has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Dec 1, 2010

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

Bhodi posted:

There are so many people here recommending good oral hygene products, but this one beats them all:

Seriously. Forget all that floss and electric toothbrushes that are generally no more effective than normal brushes, this is the real deal.

It has changed everything and I wish someone had told me about it sooner. As a kid, I associated it only with grandpa and dentures, but this thing is seriously magical. Once you've tried it, you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else.

It's better than both flossing and brushing, and does both at the same time. I didn't tell my oral hygienist I had bought one, but 5 minutes after sitting in the chair she demanded to know what I had done.

It replaces everything else on your sink when you use the brush attachment. You don't even need toothpaste, though you can use some if it makes you feel better. Don't get the hand held one, it doesn't hold enough water. Click on the picture for the one you want. I know I sound like I'm gay for this thing but words can't express how amazing it is. You'll never use anything else, ever again.

If my Spinbrush ever breaks (can a $15 electric toothbrush survive much more than 3 years?) I'll give this thing a shot. Can you put any amount of hydrogen peroxide in it, even strongly diluted? H2O2 is one of the best things you can incorporate into your oral hygiene routine.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I still have money, please recommend more things to buy until I'm broke.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

The most fun little time-waster I have ever seen. My 5 year old nephew can control it, and I can use it to annoy the hell out of the cats.

http://www.brookstone.com/gifts-by-price-under-35_mini-remote-control-rc-helicopters.html?bkiid=hmpg%7Csub_category%7Cunder35%7C627067p

It's similar to some of the air hogs stuff in that the helicopter contains a small lightweight capacitor and charges from the remote. It comes with a kit containing two sets of blades, screws, and a balance and linkage assembly. My nephew almost destroyed one over thanksgiving and I repaired it overnight.

The controls take some getting used to, but the gist of it is it creates a fairly constant amount of forward momentum, the turn control on the remote just plays with the tension between the two sets of rotors to spin it in another direction. Whichever way it's pointing is the way it's going. There's also a trim control to fine tune its handling and straighten it out if it starts spinning.

Best 30 dollars I ever spent.

I raise you the Air Hogs 'Sharpshooter'. My brother and I got a pair of these when we were wasted for $60 about 6 months ago and have spent an absurd amount of money on batteries as a result. When you're flying around in a house with playful cats those missiles are your only line of defense against being plucked out of the air. It also allows you to attack the other pilot. They're tricky to get the hang of compared to other RC helis due to the extra missile weight but they are ridiculously fun once you learn how to use them.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

There was a recommendation of the Gillette aftershave gel early on. I went to Walmart and they also had a white aftershave lotion. Comments on one vs the other?

Thought I mentioned it - the lotion is utter garbage.

LangdonAlger posted:

I know this is a bit old but....

Go to your local farm feed store and get a tub of this.

Technically it's for rubbing on cows udders after milking, but it works on humans as well. It's an antiseptic so it will also help heal any cracking skin.

I work outdoors in the Canadian winter and without Bagbalm my face and hands would be a crackly mess. It's not heavily scented. Can't recommend it enough.

I never heard of this stuff until last year but I'm seconding this. Amazing product. I live in Wisconsin and can't believe it flew under my radar for so long. It's perfect for dry/hot/cold exposed skin and is virtually scentless - whomever you lay your hands upon at the end of a long day will thank you.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
Can anyone recommend an inflatable kayak that isn't some crap rig used by a backwater rafting company?

EDIT: Also,

Mr. Beefhead posted:

They work as well every other electric heater in the world. All electric heaters are (nearly) 100% efficient, so the only differences are the size in wattage and the directionality of the heat. If you've had other heaters of the same or similar wattage that didn't work for you, then chances are a ceramic one isn't going to, either.

I heard a few years ago that passing electricity through a resistive element is a wildly inefficient use of energy when compared with other ways to generate heat. Not to naysay the convenience of heat without exhaust - I guess I'm just curious as to whether or not the technology has improved to make electric heat the superior option when it comes to BTU:energy use ratio.

Illegibly Eligible has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Dec 30, 2010

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
quote /= edit

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

Ampersand-e posted:

You are comparing motorcycles to ham sandwiches that you can't eat. Those are little rafts and in no way resemble a kayak in form or function.

I know. That's the point.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

vxskud posted:

Inflatable kayaks are not very good for anything other than noodling around at the cottage and are prone to leaking and falling apart. An inexpensive plastic one is a much better investment for casual use.

Something like these
http://1stdirect.stores.yahoo.net/colemankayaks.html

I happen to have broken three kayaks in the last decade with the last one supposedly being particularly durable. My hope was that there's a decent-quality inflatable as they don't shatter like a wine glass. I suppose I could be a little more conservative with what rapids I choose to portage but why should the rafters have all the fun?

Any recommendations on smartphones that have good battery life? All of the ones I've seen seem to beep for a recharge after a day even with little use and super high capacity batteries. Bonus points for a Motorola. After three years my VE20's hinge finally broke and while otherwise the phone works fine I figure it's time for an upgrade anyway. I do love the fact that I can go for almost a week between needing a recharge, though.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

vxskud posted:

Were they whitewater kayaks? If not that's the problem. Inflatables do not handle rapids well at all either.

Yes, they were whitewater kayaks. Dagger at that. The second one I destroyed was an RPM.

Heli0s posted:

I had the same dilemma and just said gently caress it and got the Incredible from Verizon and this baby.

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-Extended-Battery-Incredible/dp/B003SNIRAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293695150&sr=8-1

With everything on: Wifi, 3G, GPS etc. I can get through about 1.5-2 days use out of it. That's heavy use: listening to music, tethering, surfing, texting, calling. It's almost surreal to get home after tethering the phone to my laptop for five hours and still have seventy percent battery left.

Please note that this is with a rooted/underclocked phone but it's still the best fifty bucks I've ever spent. It's bulky but seido made the back case (which is better quality than the original) so that it fits your hand perfectly. Honestly I like it better with the heft of the battery just because of the way it fits in my hand. Completely recommended.

Thanks much for this, though I was looking more for low power use phones rather than higher mAh batteries. Unless technology advances in the next few months before I upgrade I'll probably go this route.

EDIT: Also, how long have you had your battery? From what I've read they perform about as well as a stock battery after a few months.

Illegibly Eligible has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Dec 30, 2010

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on some sort of leave-in treatment (or shower treatment) that eases tangled hair?

I've grown my hair fairly long over the past couple of years; along with the requisite washing/conditioning, I brush out all of the tangles right after I get out of the shower. My wife says I should brush it a bit more often, but while I'm at work, I really don't have the time, the impetus, or the memory to do that.

I swear sometimes it's as if little invisible elves have climbed into my hair and done their best at tying knots. It's usually more tangled toward the ends; not so much near the roots. Should I just invest in some sort of leave-in conditioner or is there a better product?

My hair was three feet long for about 5 years before I started balding due to stress and genetics at age 23. It was doubly sad because I'd found the perfect keys to taking care of hair:

1) Condition every day. Shampoo every other day. Try to avoid lots of strenuous physical activity if your off day for shampooing is coming up because you may get stinky.
2) As was mentioned before, comb the conditioner through in the shower. Use a wide tooth comb.
3) If you encounter a tangle, work it out from the bottom up, not the top down.
4) Wash your hair with lukewarm water, not scaldingly hot.
5) Avoid conditioners with waxes in them (Pantene products generally have a lot of waxes).
6) Avoid shampoos with Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in them. Sodium Laureth Sulfate is the okay one, but if you can find shampoo that lacks any of those it's even better yet. Good shampoos were mentioned earlier in the thread.

I do feel the need to mention that being bald is soooo much better, regardless of how spectacular my hair was. It made great wigs for cancer kids when I decided to chop it off. I save literally hundreds of hours and dollars every year by keeping my head shaved. I'm not sweating balls in 70 degree weather like I used to. Hats and temporary tattoos are much better than tattoos. YMMV though, some people have terrible head shapes/blemishes that hair helps to conceal.

For those who want to try the bald look I suggest getting the Headblade. It's a razor on wheels, $12 at Walgreens. Cartridges are ~$5 for 4 and last about a month each with every other daily use. After a couple weeks you'll be able to shave your entire head in less than five minutes and it'll be the absolute best shaving experience (and result) you'll ever have.

EDIT:

Okay, so going bald isn't a product I'd recommend but a lifestyle change I'd recommend. I've got another one: dry your feet religiously after you bathe. NO, AIR DRYING DOESN'T COUNT you need to take a towel to that poo poo and get between the toes and everything. Ever since I was five years old I had excruciating athlete's foot. I'd been prescribed every kind of antifungal foot cream, spray, and powder available for over 20 years. OTC treatments were laughably ineffective. I honestly thought I was going to have itchy, burning, gaping cracks between my toes for the rest of my life. Two years ago I started drying my feet after I developed an interest in mycology and realized how quickly fungi can grow in warm, dark, moist environments - REALLY loving fast. Within two weeks the most persistent athlete's foot any doctor had ever seen was gone without any medicines, and it hasn't come back since. Why the poo poo hadn't anyone told me this simple solution sooner?! For crying out loud, it's as blatant a sanitation measure as wiping your rear end, yet I'm sure most of us have known at least one child who neglected to do so. I'm willing to bet that the majority of athlete's foot cases are due to people not drying their feet after bathing simply because they were never told to.

Illegibly Eligible has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Jan 4, 2011

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
EDIT: nvm. Philips Norelco G370.

Illegibly Eligible has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

Illegibly Eligible posted:

EDIT: nvm. Philips Norelco G370.

So, I asked in this thread for a recommendation for a beard/mustache trimmer and then edited to this after reading the rave reviews the G370 got on the rest of the internet. Sure, it's good for a $20 trimmer... but my $35 trimmer that I intended to replace was literally only rated two stars on amazon and is a hell of a lot better than the G370. Rather than use the new one I've just been manually holding the attachments onto the old one during use. After 8 years I'm not surprised the plastic mounts finally wore away. Even so, it's better than the G370.

So I'm once again looking for a beard/mustache trimmer. I prefer a comprehensive "grooming kit" kind of deal. Needs to be rechargeable/cordless. Budget is $70, but I don't need the hottest, most expensive poo poo so much as something which ACTUALLY works well and will last a few years so long as I don't drop it.

On a related note, my Braun 5735 electric shaver is finally starting to get buggy after 8 years of consistent use and only 3 foil/blade changes. It likes to not shut off lately I've had to pull the batteries a couple times per month to get it to stop. Kind of a pain in the rear end... going to remove the batteries, discharge it, and give it an alcohol bath today in hopes of curing what I suspect to be gunk causing a short circuit somewhere. Braun's "Clean & Renew" system really impressed me since I can just refill the cartridges with isopropyl alcohol and I was wondering if this was still possible in their newer shavers. Also, is the great build quality/longevity still there? If I manage to fix my current shaver then I won't be upgrading, but if not I guess I'll need a new one.

Other electric shaver recommendations are welcome too, but nothing with the circular rotary blades... for some reason my whiskers think it's a merry go 'round and try to hop on for a ride rather than get cut.

• Locked thread