Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
I was thinking that it would be good to have a thread that could be used for two things:

1. Recommending products that you own or have used and are worth the money. Especially for things that most people wouldn't normally think of or are hard to find unbiased reviews for, and might make good gifts for Christmas. Please give a link to the web page for the product!

2. Asking for recommendations for things that don't have their own thread. Example: if you want a computer monitor, there's already a thread, as there is for hot sauce, kitchen knives, and bookshelf speakers. But for more obscure things you should ask here!

So I'll kick it off with three recommendations:

• Travel mug: the best travel mug in the world (I know this, I've tried all of them) is the Contigo Autoseal. Costs about $20 (USD) for a two-pack at Costco, but available lots of places. Thing keeps my coffee hot for 3–4 hours and has a button you push to drink from it, so if you ever knock it over, you don't spill anything. edit: Oh yeah, and the lid doesn't get cross-threaded nearly as easily as other brands. I have a Starbucks travel mug where I swear you have to precision-align the lid with a microscope to get it to actually seal. The Contigo just screws on easily and doesn't leak.

• Hiking shoes: Merrell Chameleon low-rise. I actually have an older Merrell shoe (Merrell Continuum low-rise with Vibram sole) that they don't make anymore, but I think this is the newer version of it. In any case, the key is the Vibram rubber sole. It has a slight springiness to it that just seems to give me more energy when walking. They also lasted through three months of a backpacking trip, through everything from hiking through mud to seeing a museum. I highly recommend this brand of shoes.

• The Kensington SlimType keyboard for the computer. I have been using this for a couple years now and love it. It's a low-profile keyboard so it takes some getting used to if you have used full-stroke keys in the past, but the keys have a very nice feel, and more importantly, it's really quiet (I live in a small apartment). It's also nice and small; important when you have limited desk space and have to fit a lot of papers, books, etc. around you.

Okay, and also a request:
  • Where can I get a document stand that has enough capacity to hold a heavy reference text or binder? Something like this but could hold a 4" binder stuffed with notes, or an 800-page textbook. I would be willing to pay some significant amount of money for this, if such a thing existed.

SOME HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE RECOMMENDATIONS (I'll try to update this occasionally with items that lots of people agree are awesome):

• Magic Eraser for cleaning. Originally recommended by user lamb on page 1: "They take scuffs off of walls, hard water stains off of faucets and clean soap scum with only water. They're the only product I can think of that I've bought for other people just because I was excited for them to try it."

• Zojirushi rice maker with Fuzzy Logic (link is to the NS-LAC05 model which is good for a single person or couple; there are lots of other models). Originally recommended by user ayekappy on page 1: "8 or 10 different rice settings... you just put the rice in, fill to the water line, close the lid, and hit start; perfect rice every time! Keeps it warm for 12 hours, has a delayed start setting. It also plays Happy Birthday when your rice is done and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star when you start.

• Litter-Robot pod for your cat to crap in. Originally recommended by user sativa dreams on page 5: If you have any number of cats, don't even think about it, just loving buy it now. I bought one in September and I highly, highly regret not buying one when I first got my cat years ago. It is one of the single best purchases I have ever made in my life. I have one cat and I empty every 7-10 days....takes just a minute or two, and I don't have to touch or scoop any litter, it's goddamn awesome. Plus it will pay for itself over the years; I went through one 35 lb tub of litter in 3 months, which is amazing compared to how much I used to use it. It uses any kind of regular trash bags and scoopable litter, no proprietary poo poo at all.

• Logitech MX 518 optical mouse. Originally recommended by user Josh Lyman on page 4: the Logitech MX518 is universally acclaimed as the best mouse ever designed.

• Utili-Key® 6-In-1 key ring mini-tool. Originally recommended by user Wynter on page 1: I have the 6-in-1 and it's been fantastic and very discreet in places where a folding multi-tool might be unwelcome … Not always easy to use, you have to be careful where you grab it for some things (like the bottle opener and the flat head screwdriver bit, b/c of the blade), but extremely helpful in a pinch.

• SmartWool socks. Originally recommended by user Catastrophe on page 2: Find them on sale, buy a pair or two and spoil your feet. I always hated wool socks and didn't really care about having "nice" socks until I picked up a pair of their merino wool thingies and found the cushiony softness unbeatable. Again, I had people question why I would pay $8+ per pair of socks (even when on sale) when you could pick up multiple pairs of socks for that much but it's quality over quantity. They don't turn to a pulpy mess like cotton socks do when they get wet or very sweaty, they don't get stinky fast like cotton or polyester socks do, they still insulate when damp and they feel like you're walking on clouds. I honestly do feel like their socks are worth the pricetag.

• Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser. Originally recommended by user Bhodi on page 6: There are so many people here recommending good oral hygene products, but this one beats them all. Seriously. Forget all that floss and electric toothbrushes that are generally no more effective than normal brushes, this is the real deal. It has changed everything and I wish someone had told me about it sooner. As a kid, I associated it only with grandpa and dentures, but this thing is seriously magical. Once you've tried it, you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else. It's better than both flossing and brushing, and does both at the same time. I didn't tell my oral hygienist I had bought one, but 5 minutes after sitting in the chair she demanded to know what I had done. It replaces everything else on your sink when you use the brush attachment. You don't even need toothpaste, though you can use some if it makes you feel better. Don't get the hand held one, it doesn't hold enough water. Click on the picture for the one you want. I know I sound like I'm gay for this thing but words can't express how amazing it is. You'll never use anything else, ever again. This product has had like twelve users post about how great it is. Gets an A+ from this thread.

• Bar Keeper's Friend cleaning products (powder and liquid).

• Contigo Autoseal travel mugs. Originally recommended by, uh, me, in the OP.

• AeroPress Coffee Maker

Sgs-Cruz has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jan 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

lamb posted:

Magic erasers are the best things ever if you have kids. They take scuffs off of walls, hard water stains off of faucets and clean soap scum with only water. They're the only product I can think of that I've bought for other people just because I was excited for them to try it.

I pity people who don't know about these yet. Being a huge geek, I had to look up how it worked, and it's really neat, it's like a really fine sandpaper, but made of a soft material so it won't scratch the surface. I'm always amazed by how well they work.

Here's another request: What is the best fluorescent light bulb? Based on price, longevity, colour (daylight or incandescent/warm, as long as it doesn't look like a fluorescent light)...

edit:

Elijya posted:

Use a metal cigarette case as a wallet. They're sturdy and classy. I also hate thick wallets in my pants, and the cigarette case I've had for ten years is always the same slim size. It prevents you from carrying too much crap in your wallet, as when it starts to get full, you prioritize and realize all the cards you don't really need. It also is a conversation starter as a lot of people ask about it.
Link to an example?

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Wireless Routers:
http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/outlet/Router/linksys-WRT54GL-RM_stcVVproductId118092828VVcatId543809VVviewprod.htm

You can argue with me, but I'll be hosed if, for the fourth time in 5 years, I haven't thrown away my "brand new high tech" router and just plugged this fucker right back in. It's a god drat workhouse; cheap as poo poo and never ever fails.

Mine actually was failing (randomly crashing, but it was a soft crash, as a push of the reset button on the back would make it work again, but lose all my WiFi settings) until I installed the Tomato Firmware a year ago. Rock solid since then. You need one of the original-generation WRT54Gs though, since the newer ones don't have enough memory (or something like that) to run Tomato.

So yeah, I second your recommendation, and also recommend the Tomato firmware.

edit: Which Zojirushi rice cooker is the one to get? I'm intrigued.

Sgs-Cruz has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Nov 27, 2010

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Reik posted:

Request: I need a good laptop stand for work. My laptop gets hotter than hell sitting on my desk, and I've seen those ones with fans that you plug in via USB and such.

My wife has the Rain mStand:

http://www.amazon.com/mStand-Laptop-Stand-Rain-Design/dp/B000OOYECC

It's designed for Macs (same aluminium finish as the MacBook Pro) but it will obviously work with anything. It's very solidly built and looks quite nice when there's no laptop on it. Probably more expensive than it needs to be because Apple people are used to getting hosed on the price. Anyway, use that along with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and you've got a pretty nice desktop replacement.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Illegibly Eligible posted:

You want to use Gillette Aftershave Gel. This stuff is better than anything you're currently putting on your flesh after you rake an ultrasharp blade across it, including A+D or antibiotic ointment. It's very lightly scented and actually smells good, doesn't burn when you put it on, and dries very fast so it doesn't feel greasy or oily. I use it on my head and face after I shave them and never get any breakouts or pimples. Don't bother with Gillette's aftershave lotion though, it's total poo poo.
Agreed. This stuff is great. Every time somebody buys me some more expensive aftershave for a Christmas gift or whatever, by half-way through the bottle I'm just waiting for when I can go back to my beloved cool blue gel.

Illegibly Eligible posted:

Request: Can anyone recommend a deodorant/antiperspirant that's a clear gel, actually works, and doesn't contain aluminum? Right now I'm using Gillette stuff that I find next to my aftershave - it works great but it has aluminum and from what I hear that may contribute to Alzheimer's.
I use Old Spice Swagger because it was on sale at Costco... smells a bit bro-tastic for me but it seems to work well. Then again I'm a total desk jockey so I have no idea if it works really well if you're like digging ditches all day.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Jack Napier posted:

LED stuff

This is great, really informative, thanks! I have been thinking about getting some LED bulbs.

Do you know if anybody makes an LED bulb that is, like, the size of an old-fashioned incandescent bulb, but is, say, 5x brighter? I don't care if the LED bulb even draws a full 60W. My bathroom (rented apartment) has this mega-old fixture that can't fit anything larger than a traditional bulb, but with a single CFL in there, it's way too dim to do any kind of tweezing, makeup, etc.

Kind of like they do with cars -- use the new more-efficient technology to give us the same energy consumption as the old style, but way more output. (edit: 'power' was the wrong word to use here, heh)

Sgs-Cruz has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Dec 1, 2010

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

I.T Zander posted:

Requesting an umbrella that won't break in the wind/possibly has a warranty.

Yes. Christ, yes. I would pay quite a bit of money for an actually strong umbrella.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
Link? Googling gets me this :cool:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...688&marketID=39

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Bhodi posted:

There are so many people here recommending good oral hygene products, but this one beats them all:

Haha, when I first glanced at that I thought it was a weird-looking mask or something. It looks like the face of one of the aliens from Star Wars.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
hello ladies

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

PirateDentist posted:

I know a lot of people who use those, "gaming" mice are usually just highly accurate. Works just fine. You can't go wrong with anything Logitech.

The only downside is their loving drivers. 70 MB for a mouse driver? What could it possibly be doing to two analog signals and six or so logical signals that requires so much code?

I use the bog-standard Logitech wheel mouse and it's great. I wouldn't even install the Logitech drivers at all, except I am addicted to having my middle mouse button (wheel-click) be a double-click, and for some reason Microsoft has never offered this as a standard feature in Windows.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
It also makes a great trap for people stealing your stuff. I once ran out of contact fluid so 'borrowed' some Clear Care from my housemate Dan. Put it in my ordinary plastic contact case.

Go to put the first one in the next morning: I'd never had my eye involuntarily clamp shut and feel like there was hot coals in there like that before... or since.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

uG posted:

Seeing that MasterCard just pulled the plug on WikiLeaks I think i'll pass on this.

Not that I don't agree with you, but I think we should try to keep politics out of this thread. Cell phones are made with "conflict coltan", motorcycles contribute to carbon emissions, etc. All good points, but I think this isn't the thread for it.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
I have learned from this thread that the entire epidermis of your average goon — lips, hands, feet, face, everything — is a dried-out husk from October to May.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
Mirena: IUD for you, IED for your partner's dick.

Tufty- post a trip report for the Contigo Autoseal, I want to know if others have good experiences as well.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

melon cat posted:

Where can you find these? I haven't been able to find it anywhere here in Ontario. :(

I would suggest Shopper's but you already tried that since that's the only place that sells stuff like this in Ontario. So, uh, I suggest trying a different Shopper's.

(A quick Google search suggests that Rexall/PharmaPlus stores carry Neutrogena products, but maybe not all their products.)

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Jeffrey Colon posted:

So I bought a Contigo travel mug based on recommendation from this thread.. but every time I press the button to open the mouth, it gets jammed and stays open which effectively causes it to lose heat at double speed. Anyone else have this happen to them? Its rather annoying because the only way to get it to close is to open it up and pry it closed.

Yeah, it's not supposed to do that. I've had three (got one as a gift, left it on the train, and bought a two-pack to replace it) and none of them do that. Suggest you exchange it for a new one at the store you bought it from.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

DeeDee posted:

Well dis fuggin blender is on sale! :v:

edit: And it comes in THREE colors!

Holy gently caress, 1560 watts? There are room space heaters that draw less power than that. You almost need a 20-amp circuit just to run the thing!

I want one...

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you're willing to shell out a lot more you can get a Saddleback bag.

I love stuff like this. When he talks on that page about how they design the bags to last 50+ years of use, like putting rivets in the places where the seams would wear out after 30 years -- I tear up a little.

Someday I'm going to buy stuff like this. Do my part to support real craftsmanship and fight against the throw-away society.

But yeah, $310 for the medium satchel, that's going to have to wait until I have a real job.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
If anyone wants to be a good samaritan, can you point out some stuff in this thread that more than one person has agreed is worth purchasing, so that I can add it to the OP? I've already got the Magic Eraser, Zojirushi rice cooker, Litter-Robot thing for your cat to poo poo in, and the Logitech MX518 mouse.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
Man, this thread has turned out really well. Thanks goons!!

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

doritos posted:

So, let me get this right. 100% of a lightbulb's electicity use is waste heat. Presumably the light output is from some other magic energy source. Also, the elements in an electric heater never produce waste light.

Mr. Beefhead Sir, you are a loving idiot.

First, incandescent light bulbs are only about 10% efficient at turning electrical energy into light. Most of it is heat in the first place. Then when that light hits the wall and is absorbed, it's converted into heat. None of the incoming electrical energy ends up anywhere except as heat. (I suppose if you shine the bulb on a plant, you end up with some energy in the chemical bonds in the plant.)

So you are both right. Some energy does indeed leave the bulb as radiation (light), not heat. But it ends up as heat eventually, so 10 hundred-watt light bulbs will have the same effect as a 1000-watt electric space heater.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

KublaKhan posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-OBD-II-Scan/dp/B001LHVOVK/

Cheap @ $22. Even cheaper in Nov @ $19 when I bought it. It works great. I was able to diagnose the check engine light with this tool, and then reset/erase once I had fixed the problem.

Ordering this tonight. Thanks, user KublaKhan (and Amazon for giving me free Prime shipping for a year)!

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Can someone recommend a good general shopping site for Canada? There are many great recommendations in this thread that I'd really like to try out (especially for dental hygiene), but none of them will ship to Canada from Amazon :(.

I don't know of anything. Along with cheap cell phones and air travel, good online shopping is just one of those things that Canada is apparently just too big and spread out to support :(

(I've been living in the U.S. for 2.5 years but am from Burlington, ON)

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
It's a little more than you want to spend (unless you get the really small one), but in my experience, the Bodum Chambord line has been perfect. They're borosilicate glass, so you have to be careful when washing them, but I use it nearly every morning.

example: http://www.google.com/products/cata...ved=0CGEQ8wIwAQ (There are lots of different sizes depending on what you want.)

There's also the Aeropress coffee maker. It's not a French press, but everyone was raving about it earlier. The link is in the OP now.

I like breakfast blend (light roast) coffees, so my tastes aren't for everyone, but my two favourite coffees in the entire world are (1) The breakfast blend from Cooke's Fine Foods in Kingston, Ontario (for some reason they don't sell it online) and (2) The "Cauca" light/medium blend from George Howell Terroir Coffee (apparently the site is down right now). They sell it at True Grounds in Ball Square, Somerville, MA, three blocks from my house, but I'm assuming you can order it online as well.

I think most 'coffee people' will tell you that the best coffee is the one you can get near your house, so that you know it was roasted recently. I've found that if you're in a large-ish city, the Chowhound forums (chowhound.com) are great for finding coffee roasters. Yelp is good too.

You'll also probably want a grinder (I have this one and it works really well) because (a) you need a coarser grind for a french press than for a drip coffee maker, and (b) it tastes better freshly ground!

Actually, if anyone else has any suggestions for good light roast coffee (or really any coffee that doesn't taste horribly burned like Starbucks), I'd love to hear it!

Sgs-Cruz has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Jan 7, 2011

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
This thread has been great so far, but the last couple pages have been mostly people asking for recommendations without suggesting anything. Don't be shy, people, let us know the stuff you use and like! (Also, don't forget to give a link to the product website or somewhere where you can buy it.)

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

SuitcasePimp posted:

For all your coffee needs you can't go wrong with Intelligentsia: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/
Try the house blend, its always perfectly roasted and at least 2 times as good as anything you'll find at most stores.

I know they sell this stuff at a hipster/lesbian coffee shop five minutes walk from my house. Sadly I've never been there, nor had Intelligentsia. I will check it out! I'm liking the sound of their breakfast blend:

Intelligentsia Coffee posted:

El Gallo Organic Breakfast Blend

El Gallo offers an enveloping velvety mouthfeel in perfect balance with the mild fruit-like acidity and warming hazelnut nuances. The finish brings cane sugar and a touch of floral.

I think it's the "fruit-like acidity" that I like about the Cooke's breakfast blend. I know what I like, I just can't put it into words like they can.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Merou posted:

Theres lesbian coffee shops?

Like is it literally gay-bar style this place is for lesbos or do you just notice a group of regular lesbians there?

I've never seen a gay establishment outside of a bar or nightclub. How quaint.

I'm mainly joking, it's not at all just for lesbians. It's just a popular coffee shop for gay people (mainly women) in this area to hang out at.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

BonoMan posted:

I'm recently learning some programming and therefore have a few 800 page bigass books. It can get annoying lugging these things around and flicking through them on my desk. Is there like a book-page-holder-propper-upper-thing for very large books to make them easier to handle when you're often following along?

Haha I asked for this (well, sort of) in the OP and never got an answer :)

Also, awesome that this thread is still going! I kind of forgot about it once it got booted out of GBS.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

blk posted:

A couple of domestic things here:

I'm looking for a step trash can that is good looking, doesn't reveal the liner bag hanging around the edges, and durable (my roommate broke the hinge on the last one).

Go to Bed Bath & Beyond (if you're in the U.S.) and get a Simple Human trash can. You'll pay almost $100 for a kitchen-size one but it's the last garbage can you'll ever buy. (There are multiple shapes available; I have the half-circle one so it sits flat against my wall.)

They are fantastic. The bag goes on an internal plastic can that sits inside the main stainless steel can, so you don't see it from outside, and yet it's easy to change... the only issue is that if you get gunk on the stainless steel, it looks bad. But a quick wipe with glass cleaner (Windex etc.) takes care of it.

I know it's expensive, but in this case I think it's actually worth it.

edit: Here is the one I have. I should also mention that although SimpleHuman sells their own line of bags that are supposed to fit their garbage cans super-well, I just use ordinary Glad tall kitchen drawstring bags with no problem.

Sgs-Cruz has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Feb 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

boondocksts posted:

I am looking for a good water flosser, this WaterPik seems to be the most highly rated on amazon.  Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have the countertop space so I don't need one of the small ones.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B000GLRREU

That's really funny, the one you bring up here was recommended like a hundred times in the first couple weeks of this thread, to the point where I even included it in the OP.

• Locked thread